Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Chris Christie's weight isn't the only thing that's going to sink his presidential hopes

A lot has been made about Romney's concerns and cracks about Christie's weight in Mark Halperin and John Heilemann's Double Down, but damn, that might be the least of his concerns come 2016. He's neck deep in sleaze. It sounds like Romney's VP vetters have done a lot of work for Hillary's campaign:

[quote]The list of questions Myers and her team had for Christie was extensive and troubling. More than once, Myers reported back that Trenton’s response was, in effect, Why do we need to give you that piece of information? Myers told her team, We have to assume if they’re not answering, it’s because the answer is bad.

[quote]The vetters were stunned by the garish controversies lurking in the shadows of his record. There was a 2010 Department of Justice inspector general’s investigation of Christie’s spending patterns in his job prior to the governorship, which criticized him for being “the U.S. attorney who most often exceeded the government [travel expense] rate without adequate justification” and for offering “insufficient, inaccurate, or no justification” for stays at swank hotels like the Four Seasons. There was the fact that Christie worked as a lobbyist on behalf of the Securities Industry Association at a time when Bernie Madoff was a senior SIA official—and sought an exemption from New Jersey’s Consumer Fraud Act. There was Christie’s decision to steer hefty government contracts to donors and political allies like former Attorney General John Ashcroft, which sparked a congressional hearing. There was a defamation lawsuit brought against Christie arising out of his successful 1994 run to oust an incumbent in a local Garden State race. Then there was Todd Christie, the Governor’s brother, who in 2008 agreed to a settlement of civil charges by the Securities and Exchange Commission in which he acknowledged making “hundreds of trades in which customers had been systematically overcharged.” (Todd also oversaw a family foundation whose activities and purpose raised eyebrows among the vetters.) And all that was on top of a litany of glaring matters that sparked concern on Myers’ team: Christie’s other lobbying clients, his investments overseas, the YouTube clips that helped make him a star but might call into doubt his presidential temperament, and the status of his health.

[quote]Ted Newton, managing Project Goldfish under Myers, had come into the vet liking Christie for his brashness and straight talk. Now, surveying the sum and substance of what the team was finding, Newton told his colleagues, [italic]If Christie had been in the nomination fight against us, we would have destroyed him—he wouldn’t be able to run for governor again. When you look below the surface, Newton said, it’s not pretty.[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 3511/04/2013

Why is this coming out if Romney isn't going to run again? I think maybe he is, specifically because Hillary Clinton is.

by Anonymousreply 111/03/2013

Books like this come out after every election.

Romney is never running for anything ever again.

by Anonymousreply 211/03/2013

The book has nothing to do with Romney's plans. Double Down is the sequel to Game Change which chronicled the 2008 campaign. Both the Democratic and Republican nominees were followed. Same thing this time around.

by Anonymousreply 311/03/2013

I have been telling people this for years now: the man is a train wreck waiting to happen. It is only a matter of time before all the dirt on him gets exposed. That shady business dealings, the scent of organized crime connections, the connection to Madoff, the fact that the state lost a bond rating under him, millions in mortgage relief funds gone missing. The number of people in NJ who have fallen under the poverty line and are public assistance skyrocketed since he took office and then there is the ticking time bomb of state pensions which the last Republican governor raided and no one has bother to repay. I wont be a bit surprised if he never finishes his second term due to being charged with some crime or impeached.

by Anonymousreply 411/03/2013

R4, Do you blame the problems on Christie or on the way politics is conducted in NJ? Was the previous administration as corrupt and inefficient?

by Anonymousreply 511/03/2013

Once again, it's people voting against their own interests or not voting at all. They are beguiled by his considerable facade without wanting to see the utter depravity underneath. They are willing to have all their rights stripped away because he entertains them. They think that corrupt, uncouth, blubbering fat fuck is "brave". He's only brave when it suits his own interest.

by Anonymousreply 611/03/2013

R5 NJ politics is insanely corrupt. The previous governor was corrupt, the governor before him was corrupt, and the one before him was no great shakes either. NJ politicians make their Florida counterparts look like altar boys.

by Anonymousreply 711/03/2013

After reading it, I wonder if Christie will chance it in '16. He was looking like the best in the batch. Hopefully, this will stick to him.

by Anonymousreply 811/03/2013

Hello CNN, MSNBC, Charlie Rose, anybody listening? Get this stuff out on the airwaves NOW!!!!! The friggin' election's in TWO days. How does this stuff simmer for months and years, and no one feels bound to make it known???

by Anonymousreply 911/03/2013

I've always maintained that The Base (the folks who have a veto over a nominee) will push him SO far right that he could never win a general election. He'd have to permanently commit himself to go along with abortion restrictions that would KILL his "moderate" image altogether. Besides ... he's a snob with a short fuse, who'd have major flare-ups (breakdowns) with groups of yahoos.

by Anonymousreply 1011/03/2013

Interesting. The Romney camp must REALLY hate him. The Wapo said this two days ago, but the MSM is yet to pick up on how much Christie may be damaged:

[quote]And it will hit Christie first. Halperin and Heilemann make abundant use of a vice-presidential vetting file dropped into their hands by someone in Romney’s orbit to illuminate secrets about the governor. Delivering the documents to the authors was a stunning breach of political decorum that can only be read as a giant middle finger at Christie and his aides.

by Anonymousreply 1111/03/2013

The Romney team are still stupid enough to think Christie alone tanked the election for them. They were already going to lose. Christie just followed the inevitable conclusion.

by Anonymousreply 1211/03/2013

WASHINGTON -- WASHINGTON (AP) — Mitt Romney isn't including tea party favorite Ted Cruz among the Republicans' most electable potential presidential candidates in 2016.

Who does the 2012 GOP nominee put on his list of "very capable people?"

His ex-running mate, Wisconsin Rep. Paul Ryan. Florida Sen. Marco Rubio. Former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush.

But Romney says New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie "stands out as one of the very strongest lights."

Romney was asked on NBC's "Meet the Press" whether Texas Sen. Cruz is a "potential light."

Romney said he's not going to disqualify anybody. But he made clear that he had given the names of those he thought were "the most effective in becoming elected."

Cruz led the GOP effort to shut down the government in an effort to dismantle Obama's health care law.

by Anonymousreply 1311/03/2013

Do people in New Jersey have any clue about this? This is hitting right before the election except it's not really hitting. And he's gonna win by a landslide...

by Anonymousreply 1411/04/2013

I live in NJ and I don't get it. We suck at electing governors.

by Anonymousreply 1511/04/2013

Does that mean that NJ voters know all this stuff? It was certainly a surprise for the Romney campaign.

by Anonymousreply 1611/04/2013

I don't like Christie. I think he is a viable candidate for both the nomination and the Presidency.

Out of everything listed - I don't see any successful prosecutions.

Am I missing something?

I don't think this "throw it against the wall and see if it sticks" strategy is effective.

by Anonymousreply 1711/04/2013

[quote]Mitt Romney isn't including tea party favorite Ted Cruz among the Republicans' most electable potential presidential candidates in 2016.

Birth certificate = Immediate disqualification.

Fuck the teabagging scum in this country who think they can just change the rules they've been bitching about for five years. He is not allowed to run and if he does run, the cowardly media's only question to him should be "Then why was it a problem when Obama ran?" I don't give a shit about his policies or anything he stands for - we already know he's fucked up.

He is disqualified. Petulant teabagging shitheads who think they can just pull this shit now and let an ACTUAL foreigner run. I don't think so.

Note: I'm normally a very nice, calm person, but this is one of those things that makes my blood boil.

by Anonymousreply 1811/04/2013

It's OK if you're a Republican, R18. Oh, and white.

by Anonymousreply 1911/04/2013

The problem is that Christie has done some good things for the state of NJ and many of them are recent which, for most people, results in forgetting what happened before.

I live in NJ and I have to say, the state property tax reduction, aka Homestead Act, has been successful. We used to get a "rebate check" but now, you file and the "check" amount is deducted from your tax bill.

His handling of the aftermath of Superstorm Sandy was seen as positive as well. Accepting Prez Obama's assistance, odd/even gas rationing, etc.

He was/is against gay marriage but he said he would let the public decide. He said he would veto the bill if brought forth but changed his mind, saying "the public has spoken."

How many people remember his use of the State Helicopter to get to his son's lacross/soccer/whatever sports games? Not enough.

How many remember what a horrible US Attorney he was? Not enough.

Last but not least, who the HELL is Barbara Buono, where did she come from, what's her story, and why would she be better than Christie?

I say this as a die-hard Democrat. It will kill me to vote for Christie but I don't know anything about his opponent.

by Anonymousreply 2011/04/2013

R20 -- I lived most of my life in Morris County. Amazing that the legislators are a bunch of horrible clowns, with some of the highest education rates in the nation for constituents.

Are you aware of Chris Christie's GENIUS move years ago in filing for Assembly in the wrong district, because he didn't realize Mendham Boro and Twp were in different ones?

by Anonymousreply 2111/04/2013

R20 Please listen very carefully Yes Christie is gonna win no question the best thing you can do is vote for his opponent as its all about the margin. The larger the margin of his win the more repuplicans will feel energized Please don't help the party that shut down the government and as we speak refuses to grant even protection under the law for gay and lesbians.

by Anonymousreply 2211/04/2013

With this stuff coming out now, Christie has plenty of lead time to prepare his answers.

by Anonymousreply 2311/04/2013

I'll never forgive that fat ass for what he did to Barbra Streisand at the White House.

by Anonymousreply 2411/04/2013

I will vote against Christie tomorrow. His win is a foregone conclusion, but I want is margin to be smaller than predicted. Another important referendum on the ballot is about raising the minimum wage. One of the many things to help working people in NJ that Christie works against.

by Anonymousreply 2511/04/2013

R24, what did he do to Barbra?

She's alive so he didn't sit on her.

by Anonymousreply 2611/04/2013

r20 I agree with you, Barbara Buono really came out of left field. She was the BEST candidate they could find? The Dems knew Christie was gonna' be hard to beat, or even make a good showing against, they should've picked someone much stronger. It's almost like they really didn't care to win? side note: when does Christie throw his hat in the ring for President?

by Anonymousreply 2711/04/2013

If all the corruption allegations regarding Christie are true (it's NJ, so not unlikely that it is true) how come the NJ Dems have not tried to take him on? I've always heard about corrupt politicians in NJ; does Buono have her own problems? I still don't see why the Dems just roll over and let Christie get away with this.

by Anonymousreply 2811/04/2013

NJ politics often have some corruption, so on a state level, it's no biggie. Nationally however, different story. He's toast on a national ticket.

by Anonymousreply 2911/04/2013

Maybe the NJ Dems think it will have greater impact if it's saved for '16. Maybe it was a foregone conclusion to them that NJ voters are accustomed to corruption and would vote for Christie anyway. National voters probably won't be as forgiving. Or at least they'll be shocked as the Romney people were once they got a gander of the vetting file. If the Romney campaign thought they could have destroyed Christie with it if he had run in the primary, surely the DNC knows it can.

What puzzles me is that the MSM is not touching this at all. The only place I've seen mention this is in the Wapo review I posted. All of the other stuff written in advance of the book is about Christie's weight, the dog with two dicks comment, and Obama comment about taking Bill in "small doses."

by Anonymousreply 3011/04/2013

What was Christie's defamation suit about?

by Anonymousreply 3111/04/2013

It seems to me that it is the lesser of two evils with NJ.

Christie won against Jon Corzine who was phenomenally corrupt and this Barbara Buono sounds awful too.

I don't think it's possible to find someone (that has a chance) that isn't knee deep in shit in NJ.

by Anonymousreply 3211/04/2013

They will have a hits reel of Christie hollering at women -- the people he hollers at most.

His Jersey act will wear thin.

by Anonymousreply 3311/04/2013

What does he know about cattle futures?

by Anonymousreply 3411/04/2013

Bernie Madoff association.

by Anonymousreply 3511/04/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!