Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Dallas Buyers Club

Has anyone here seen it? thoughts?

by Anonymousreply 14102/17/2015

I have - not a great movie with very obvious homophobia. The sterotypes are painted with a broad stroke.

by Anonymousreply 111/03/2013

I, myself, have not.

by Anonymousreply 211/03/2013 discusses Jared Leto's performance:

"To be openly transgender in Dallas in 1985 – for that matter, almost anywhere in America that wasn’t San Francisco or lower Manhattan – required facing some degree of public hatred, and near-universal incomprehension, on a daily basis. Leto gives us a fully realized character who has confronted that without having her spirit crushed, but who along the way has internalized considerable damage.

"Rayon has a scene in a grocery store – really it’s just a single shot, with no lines – when she realizes that embittered, homophobic Ron has become her advocate, her defender and, most important, her friend, that utterly destroyed me."

by Anonymousreply 311/03/2013

Just saw it. Wasn't enamored of the movie or McConaughey, but Leto was extraordinary.

by Anonymousreply 411/03/2013

EW gave it a B, but praised McConaughey's and Leto's performances.

by Anonymousreply 511/03/2013

How does McC's character get AIDS- eating bad pussy?

by Anonymousreply 611/05/2013

Bad meat in the can.

by Anonymousreply 711/05/2013

I'm seeing it Thursday, at the Chelsea, I think.

I may sneak in after The Swarm.

by Anonymousreply 811/05/2013

OP, we already know that you are interested in our thoughts, hence the thread.

When you put "thoughts?" in your OPs, it's annoying.

by Anonymousreply 911/05/2013

I just saw it, and I think it's really one of the best AIDS films I've seen. McConaughey could very well win the Best Actor Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 1011/16/2013

I really want to see it

by Anonymousreply 1111/16/2013

It's the AIDS movie you've always wanted to see!

by Anonymousreply 1211/16/2013

"McConaughey could very well win the Best Actor Oscar."

Because he can deliver a semi-competent performance? Is he gonna bathe if he gets it?

by Anonymousreply 1311/16/2013

R13 I doubt you've seen the film because I can't imagine someone who's seen it would write off his performance as "semi-competent." He's electrifying.

by Anonymousreply 1411/16/2013

Well, then obviously the director or editor deserves the Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 1511/16/2013

I've seen it. McConaughey is brilliant, in my opinion. Whether he gets the Best Actor prize is up to the academy. They don't give oscars to roles like this. So he'll have to show up and prove he's a good sport.

They shouldn't take the oscars too seriously. They should look at the comments from Brando, George C. Scott and Woody Allen, to name just a few. Basically, it's a popularity contest.

by Anonymousreply 1611/16/2013

He's a Republican. I don't like him anymore.

by Anonymousreply 1711/16/2013

He vocally supported Obama, I don't know where you got that he was a Republican.

by Anonymousreply 1811/16/2013

Movie - B

Mac - A-

Leto - A+

by Anonymousreply 1911/16/2013

Not Buying Dallas Buyers Club

by Anonymousreply 2011/16/2013

Good performances, stupid film.

by Anonymousreply 2111/16/2013

A movie about AIDS? Of course it doesn't interest the Datalounge circuit queen meth heads.

by Anonymousreply 2211/18/2013

I saw the film on Saturday. McBongo (yeah I remember that nickname) is extraordinary. Just brilliant. Not an OUNCE of vanity or self-consciousness marring the performance.

Leto is wonderful too. His character is the MOST touching in the film. As good as McBongo is, his character is never really that likable. That could hurt his Oscar bid unfortunately.

by Anonymousreply 2311/18/2013

Saw it over the weekend. As a film, it's not bad, but not great, either -- you can fell the creaks of the by-the-numbers script rather obviously. However, the performances are stellar and are what give the film its power; McConaughey gives one of his best performances and if Jared Leto doesn't win Best Supporting Actor, there's no justice -- he's phenomenally good.

For r6, it's indicated that McConaughey's character gets HIV from unprotected sex with a woman who was an intravenous drug user.

by Anonymousreply 2411/18/2013

Terrible, TERRIBLE movie with good performances from Matthew & Leto. Am AIDS movie flyovers will love but a crapola piece of film making.

by Anonymousreply 2511/18/2013

r25 = Pauline Kael.

by Anonymousreply 2611/18/2013

I saw the movie this weekend. Very good movie well paced and great acting all around especially by Matthew and Leto.

Matthew is definitely a lock for an Oscar nomination and a possible win. And Leto should win for best supporting. His performance was perfect.

by Anonymousreply 2711/18/2013

Is mrs. Ben afflict an Oscar contender? I heard she's good in this.

by Anonymousreply 2811/18/2013

r28, she's good, but not Oscar-worthy.

by Anonymousreply 2911/18/2013

An AIDS movie with a straight protagonist is like a civil rights movie with a white hero.

by Anonymousreply 3011/19/2013

Shut up, r22. There are plenty of reasons someone wouldn't (or shouldn't) be enamored with a movie about AIDS that acts like gay men were completely helpless until a straight savior to came along to save them.

by Anonymousreply 3111/19/2013

by Anonymousreply 3211/20/2013

I am seeing it Saturday morning at a bargain ($8.) matinee at the AMC Kips Bay and will report back here my findings.

by Anonymousreply 3311/20/2013

There are still too many idiots today that believe Aids was still only a "gay cancer" and that straights were totally immune. Many fair arguments of why the conservative political administration and medical establishment were reluctant to actively respond on any level.

by Anonymousreply 3411/20/2013

This is based on a true story so it's not like they chose for the character to be straight. He was straight and homophobic and this is a story about how AIDS made him an advocate and friend of the gays right?

by Anonymousreply 3511/20/2013

This is a HIGHLY fictionalized version of the real story. The Jared Leto character is a complete work of fiction.

by Anonymousreply 3611/20/2013

Yes, r36, and so is the Jennifer Garner character. Poor Jen, she was doing research about Woodruff and the period and couldn't find any mention of her character, so she called the director and he had to tell her the character was fiction.

by Anonymousreply 3711/20/2013

Saw it today and the film was good but Leto was amazing. I echo the thought of an Oscar. MM was good but I found the character to be more or less yelling curse words for a good part of the the film. I see a potential nom but not sure of a win...

by Anonymousreply 3811/22/2013

Saw it today. It's fine for what it is. The actors are good, as mentioned (I liked Leto's performance more than McConaughey's). A few things that bothered me:

All of McConaughey's friends with beards looked like the same person.

The perfect teeth on McConaughey. This character would not have such pearly whites.

The visible muscle definition on McConaughey and Leto when they show shots of their bodies. Yes, they were painfully thin, but you can tell that they're still in perfect shape even when emaciated. People that ill don't look like that.

by Anonymousreply 3911/23/2013

Has anyone else seen this movie? Or is going to flop?

by Anonymousreply 4011/25/2013

Well, I most certainly haven't!

by Anonymousreply 4111/25/2013

Its studio is putting a hopeful spin about its success as it goes wider. Surely a picture for a niche market, but was pretty well-reviewed and will pick up a bunch of award nominations and wins.

Per Deadline:

>>Focus Features gave Dallas Buyers Club a big jump in theaters in the film’s fourth weekend and the film starring Matthew McConaughey held solid, grossing just under $2.8 million ($4,159 average).

>>Dallas, which is the final release under the tenure of James Schamus and Andrew Karpen, continued to draw audiences and the company noted its healthy expansion Sunday when reporting its numbers: “Dallas sustained its Friday to Saturday box office growth trend with a hefty 57% increase.

>>"The film successfully expanded into additional markets this weekend and continues to draw new audiences around the country; Dallas also sustained box office momentum in a very competitive marketplace with audiences in the holdover houses where it continues to play well.”

Dallas placed 10th in the overall box office for the weekend.

I saw it this weekend and thought it was good, not great. I expected to be in tears by the end but it held its (and my) emotions in check (except a little bit during one death scene.)

I rate it at about the same level as All Is Lost. Both prestige pictures but do they have legs?

by Anonymousreply 4211/25/2013

Jen Garner shines as usual. A divine performance.

by Anonymousreply 4311/25/2013

r43 = Ben Affleck's lawyer

by Anonymousreply 4411/25/2013

Straight actors, director, writer and producer portraying straight white guy who saves a bunch of homos, oh, wait he didn't, because those drugs then didn't work.

Pure Oscar-bait.

by Anonymousreply 4611/25/2013

r46, that's not quite an accurate description of the movie. And the second lead character, Rayon, was gay, gay, gay.

The straight white guy was trying to save [italic]himself[/italic] and wound up helping a lot of other people, but he didn't do it alone nor did he do it for altruistic or humanitarian reasons.

by Anonymousreply 4711/26/2013

Well, R47 is right and remember, it was a true story. Unfortunately, this takes place in the period of 185-87, and we all know who was President and how much attention AIDS got. This story begins right about the time Rock Hudson had gone to France for a last ditch effort to secure treatment that would prolong his life. I took the movie at face value. It was the story of one person.

I had a question. The first time MM's character goes to Mexico looking for some doctor, he collapses and ends up in the doctor's clinic. It's a complete slum, almost looks like a bootleg operation, which it probably was.

Did Matthew & the Doctor partner up and have an arrangement that Matthew sold drugs, and the Doc and his clinic shared profits?

by Anonymousreply 4811/27/2013

I saw it today. You can nitpick about it all you want, but it was an entertaining movie with some very fine performances.

McConaughey and Leto should get Oscar noms for it.

by Anonymousreply 4911/30/2013

I went on Wednesday saw it and loved it. I expect Matthew to be nominated for an Oscar. Yes, IMHO it was that good. Yes plenty on stereotypes, and if you are sensitive to gay slurs stay away.

Afterwards I snuck into see Philomena, another great movie that shockingly also has a storyline about AIDS. Dench should also be nominated for an Oscar.

Two great movies for 8.50!

by Anonymousreply 5011/30/2013

What R49 said

by Anonymousreply 5112/02/2013

Saw it today and thought MM and Leto were both extraordinary. I think Leto will win Best Supporting Actor, and I think McConaughey will be nominated for Best Actor, no question about it. It was never boring, and I liked that the sentimentality wasn't turned up to 11.

I think Robert Redford will win Best Actor.

by Anonymousreply 5212/02/2013

I saw it today and just loved it. It is not a sentimental movie. It's not a movie about heroism. And it's about AIDS as much as Breaking Bad is about meth. It's a story about one person. And Matthew really gives an astounding performance, the best I've seen from an actor in a very long time. I had no idea really what the movie was about so I was shocked and surprised by the unexpected turn of events, and that's what makes a good movie. Jared Leto gives a fantastic performance too. It's a very old-fashioned character in the lines of Kiss of the Spider Woman, but this does take place in the 80's and I think his portrayal is honest to the time and place.

I was transported, moved and highly entertained. See it if only for Matthew and Jared.

by Anonymousreply 5312/02/2013

[quote] It was never boring, and I liked that the sentimentality wasn't turned up to 11.

I agree with you, and that's why I liked it. I remember hearing complaints about The Pianist because of the lack of sentimentality. Life isn't always sentimental. Sometimes you just have to do what you can to survive.

by Anonymousreply 5412/02/2013

I didn't love it. it didn't seem like it knew what it wanted to be. Was it about a homophobic man's understanding the humanity that runs through all of us? Was it about the nature of friendships? Was it about how one man can fight the FDA? Was it about not giving up when everyone says you should? If it had taken a firmer point of view and didn't try to be everything, I think it would have been more effective. As it were, I left the movie thinking that the acting was superb, but I had no idea what the director wanted me to feel or know as a result of seeing the movie.

by Anonymousreply 5512/02/2013

It brought back some painful memories of the 80s. Though the film itself isn't a masterpiece, the performances by McBongo and Leto are absolutely stunning. Leto could so easily have indulged in an OTT performance, playing a diva to the rafters, but his Rayon is a gentle, wounded soul who manages to touch the heart of even a homophobic asshole like Ron Woodroof. I liked the lack of sentimentality which would have robbed the story of its power.

by Anonymousreply 5612/02/2013

Didn't get the hype about Mud, McConaughey is definitely overrated. In the trailer for this movie it looks like he doing his same try hard acting. Leto looks believable and interesting though. Garner - I just have to close my eyes, she is beyond off putting.

by Anonymousreply 5712/02/2013

r57 says, don't confuse me with facts, my mind is made up.

by Anonymousreply 5812/02/2013

Not the movie that was needed. Really, of all the stories about folks who found a way to combat the FDA's war against gay men, the lens that gets chosen is some straight homophobe from Texas that kind of (maybe) learns the error of his ways?

Make him a queer activist from ACT UP in SF or NY circa 1989 and I'll be interested.

Otherwise, it's just straight people trying to feel OK because they did enough.

While the performances were good, this movie was very much "thank you straight guy for saving all us queeny gays."

This is the story that needs to be told out of the AIDS crisis? Really?

by Anonymousreply 5912/02/2013

Judging from this thread: people who haven't seen the movie hate it and people who have seen the movie love it...

"While the performances were good, this movie was very much "thank you straight guy for saving all us queeny gays.""

No, it doesn't - not even vaguely. Woodroof was out for himself. It is accentuated that he wanted to help himself and if he could make a buck out of the gay community, he was willing to help them too. Woodroof is not portrayed as anybody's saviour - just as a desperate man in desperate times, a hustler who became a decent man almost against his will.

by Anonymousreply 6012/02/2013

Jared Leto's character is a fictional character that was simply invented by the filmmakers to develop a story for the movie.

by Anonymousreply 6112/02/2013

r59, thank you.

by Anonymousreply 6212/02/2013

[quote]Not the movie that was needed.

Whose fault is it that after 30 years, "The Normal Heart" is going to be a TV movie, albeit a very good one, no doubt?

by Anonymousreply 6312/02/2013

The movie was too good for most of you. Save your money and see Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs 2.

by Anonymousreply 6412/02/2013

[quote]Not the movie that was needed. Really, of all the stories about folks who found a way to combat the FDA's war against gay men, the lens that gets chosen is some straight homophobe from Texas that kind of (maybe) learns the error of his ways? Make him a queer activist from ACT UP in SF or NY circa 1989 and I'll be interested.

But that wasn't the story the filmmakers decided to tell. This was a different story from a different perspective. Why don't you get over yourself and understand that AIDS affected millions of people, each with different stories to tell?

Personally, I don't want to see another AIDS drama that played ad nauseum at indy theaters in Chelsea the 90's. This was a different perspective about a real person who was affected by AIDS.

Jesus fucking Christ can't gay people see issues beyond their own sexuality? You probably vote only on the issue of gay marriage too, don't you?

by Anonymousreply 6512/03/2013

Can't we disagree about something without reducing the argument to ad hominem attacks?

by Anonymousreply 6612/03/2013

Jared Leto being interviewed on WNYC's Leonard Lopate show, right now!

by Anonymousreply 6812/03/2013

I saw it this weekend. I didn't care for the movie, however I think Jared Leto gave an Oscar worthy performance. McBongo was good but not great. His physical transformation was amazing though.

by Anonymousreply 6912/03/2013

The movie could have been better but McBongo and Leto gave Oscar worthy performances.

And yes, what R67 said.

by Anonymousreply 7012/03/2013

Leto just won the New York Film Critics best supporting actor with Robert Redford winning Best Actor (ahem.. All is Lost is boring as hell but I guess everybody's afraid they won't have Redford around much longer).

by Anonymousreply 7112/03/2013

Saw it today. I think MM has a very real chance at winning the Oscar. Aside from his giving an excellent performance, his physical transformation was amazing. He's almost unrecognizable.

by Anonymousreply 7212/07/2013

Jared Leto was extraordinary, easily the best performance in the film and one of the best of the year, if not THE best.

But the film really does hit home the hetero guy saving the homos angle too hard. A gay couple practically worship him and when they give him a house, it's framed to help HIM, not to help the cause of getting meds out to victims. There are numerous scenes of Woodroof being a manly hetero guy having manly hetero sex, and I felt it was entirely to make sure the audience knows he's not gay.

The fact that this story was chosen rather than the story of any gay or lesbian people who helped during the AIDS crisis says it all: They wanted a story with a hetero protagonist.

Also, who comes to a thread on DL where there's discussion about a film but then calls that discussion "nitpicking" anyway?

by Anonymousreply 7312/07/2013

Just get tired of people rewriting history in films. If it's not interesting enough without inventing characters or re-writing them then why do it? (I'm still thinking back to Beautiful Mind.)

by Anonymousreply 7412/07/2013

r73 - I'm with r65 to the degree that the movie you wanted to see was not the story they told. There have been lots of movies about gay men living with and dying of AIDS. This was a different story. There's enough room for this one and more.

I would like to see a compelling movie using a story the many lesbians stepped up and took care of their gay friends. But that's another movie.

by Anonymousreply 7512/07/2013

Actually, the story of Gay men getting AIDS and dying, and the government ignoring it, has been told. I think it's important to remind the world that AIDS isn't "the Gay disease." You'd be surprised at how many people still associate AIDS with Gays exclusively. Even after all this time.

I had no problem with the movie's perspective. It was a true story, and it shed light on a phenomenon that occurred back then with these buyers clubs, and the fact that, essentially, the Government used all it's enforcement powers thru any agencies it had, to block access to drugs that would save lives, in order to profit from ones that were lethal.

FBI FDA, IRS Customs, etc. the full weight of the government was focused on stopping people from getting help. That's what I got out of the movie. I can't recall any other AIDS related movie telling that story.

by Anonymousreply 7612/07/2013

Actually, this wasn't a true story. It was vaguely based on a true story, with several significant characters and most of the actual plot made up out of whole cloth. Woodroof's story only forms the foundation of this film.

I'm just not seeing an equal number of high profile, big budget films on the AIDS crisis that focus on GLBTs so I don't buy the "it's already been done" argument. What else has there been? Philadelphia was 20 years ago.

It also doesn't make much sense to me to say the film was necessary because it showed this wasn't a gay-only crisis. Surely that's been covered extensively in myriad treacly films about cute little kids who got HIV or strong AIDS-stricken women who fight the system. Those were popular in the 1990s and I think got the point across just fine.

So, since this film wasn't all that fact-based, and since we already as a society knew HIV wasn't a something that only affects gays, we have to ask ourselves what the point of this film was. To me, it felt like an anti-Big Pharma film that couldn't help but wallow in the so-called irony that a hetero guy was infected. It's too bad the parallels between Big Pharma and Woodroof selling drugs to gay men he obviously loathed were mostly sidestepped.

Sure, the extraordinary amount of hetero sex scenes and the nude women pix he had taped to the walls and his constant talk about sex with women spoke to his character, and I suspect some of it was titillation for the audience, too. But there was SO MUCH of it that after the first hour I could not shake the feeling that the film was overselling the "don't forget he's hetero" angle. Maybe they were playing up the irony of someone who (gasp!) isn't gay getting HIV, which isn't much better.

by Anonymousreply 7712/08/2013

r77 - Dallas Buyers Club's budget was $5 million. That's not a lot these days. Hell, the budget for Philadelphia was $26 million and that was 20 years ago.

I know Rayon wasn't a real person but used as a literary device to tell the story of his arc from being a total homophobic asshole to someone who learned compassion. Yes, like most rednecks, they don't learn it until it happens to them. But that's what makes drama.

What else was made up whole cloth? From what I've read, the story is essentially true.

As for the sex part, he was a randy guy in real life. It didn't feel over-the-top to me that he was confused and angry that he could no longer do something he was very into before his diagnosis.

And I couldn't really tell, but didn't the movie imply he got HIV from an encounter with a man?

by Anonymousreply 7812/08/2013

Those of you who don't think the film told the "right" story are free to fund any story you want told.

by Anonymousreply 7912/08/2013

[quote]And I couldn't really tell, but didn't the movie imply he got HIV from an encounter with a man?

Hell no, he's no faggot. He has a flash back and remembers screwing some broad that was a druggie, she had obvious track marks.

by Anonymousreply 8012/08/2013

Thanks r80 - it was going fast and I couldn't really process what was going on.

by Anonymousreply 8112/08/2013

That scene in the supermarket where MM defends JL's honor was fucking embarrassing. This movie is garbage.

by Anonymousreply 8212/08/2013

Unfortunately, I did not think the movie was very good. It is too unfocused. They waste so much time making sure that the MM character is straight that by the time the movie starts we are already very bored.

I did not even think that MM was that good. Weight loss does not a good performance make. I did not see an ounce of honesty….sorry. Jared Leto was heartbreaking and perfection, though. SPOILER: the scene at the bank was very touching.

by Anonymousreply 8312/08/2013

Agreed, r83. The scene at the bank was absolutely devastating, perfectly performed by Leto. He should win the Oscar for that scene alone.

by Anonymousreply 8412/08/2013

I thought it was excellent. Matthew M. was magnetic in a role perfect for him. I was sort of annoyed at the Jared Leto character- but considering he was based on a real person most likely made it better. I did not recognize Jared Leto until the credits, but he played it without real distinction. It was a real by the books tranny acting job. I expected little and found the whole thing compelling.

by Anonymousreply 8512/08/2013

Saw this movie last night. I thought it was really good, though not completely mesmerizing. Leto was superb - he deserves an award. And OP - yeah, there is a lot of homophobia because it's - duh - Texas in the 80s. I doubt many Texans are any different today. It was real for the time. As for the stereotypes - gay life is what it is. I didn't think they painted gay people very broadly at all.

by Anonymousreply 8612/18/2013

You have to divide up Texas between urban Texas and rural Texas. Rural Texas is probably still just as bad but the cities (Austin, Dallas, Houston at least) are much more progressive and gay-friendly. Houston's mayor is an out lesbian. San Antonio is very Hispanic and very Catholic though the Castro brothers have come out strongly in favor of gay rights - and they managed to get elected.

by Anonymousreply 8712/18/2013

Loved the performance of MM and Leto. Garner's character was a bit of a mess, though no fault of the actress.

While Rayon was not a real character, she represented thousands who faced certain death without the acceptance of their loved ones.

Definitely worth seeing.

by Anonymousreply 8812/31/2013

Gay Texas? They should have cast homebois Tommy Tune and Jm J. Bullock.

by Anonymousreply 8912/31/2013

"this takes place in the period of 185-87"

Christ, that's a long time ago!

But seriously, please don't call anyone MM except for MM.

by Anonymousreply 9012/31/2013

Pretty terrible movie. The writing and Mathew McC never rises above try hard and stereotypical. Garners acting is atrocious. Jarded Leto is amazing thought.

by Anonymousreply 9101/07/2014

Ok, it's been a couple of months since I saw this, but I seem to remember a scene in the ER where they tell McBongo he has AIDS, and suddenly there's a flashback to a prison scene where he's basically getting fucked by this Chicano gangbanger.

Did I hallucinate that?

by Anonymousreply 9201/07/2014

Don't think so - I think the flashback showed him with a junkie ho - female. The whole point was that AIDS was then considered to be strictly a gay disease but hets were getting it too and the media was hushing that up. Gay men and Haitians were thought to be the only people who got it. There was even a sick joke back then: How does a gay man admit to his parents he's got AIDS without coming out of the closet: he tells them he's Haitian. It was a horrible time that some of you don't seem to remember. People thought if a person with AIDS spits on you, you can catch it.

I thought both McConaughey and Leto were superb and they are currently the frontrunners for the Oscar. No other performances this year came anywhere near. The movie itself is picking up a lot of surprising Guild nominations: SAG ensemble, WGA screenplay and PGA film - that shows a lot of support.

by Anonymousreply 9301/08/2014

It's a really wonderful movie. Leto and Matt deserve Oscars. Probably won't get them, but deserve them.

by Anonymousreply 9401/08/2014

I just discovered that my personal physician was the inspiration for Jennifer Garner's character -- but my doctor is a gay man, not a woman (as he said to me: "Steve became Eve" -- Steve is his real name, Eve was the name of Jennifer's character). Also: the real Ron Woodroof was not only NOT homophobic but was actually bisexual (the drugs and partying was real). But Steve did not have a romance with Ron: Eve is a comination of Steve and Ron's ex-wife (not mentioned in the film), who cared for Ron until he died. The Jared Leto is a complete fabrication.

I asked Steve if he was upset with the changes; he said that he was told when he first met with the screenwriters 4 years ago that they were going to "Hollywood-ize" the story, and he enjoyed the essence of the film, particularly McConaughey's performance, who, other than the fabricated homophobia, really captured what Ron was like.

by Anonymousreply 9501/10/2014

Terrific film (powerful and not fun) that captures the times perfectly. "Buyers clubs" like these were everywhere and the war between activists and the FDA was pitch perfect.

I was there- I know the desperation. It was harrowing- if anything worse. It DID make for strange bedfellows (red necks, IV drug uses and gay men) in all settings. The docs did fight over approved and unapproved drugs. AZT initially did cause havoc.

MM was extraordinary. He looked just like someone with AIDs at the time as did Leto. Yes you could see every fiber in an AID's patient's leg muscle even with its diameter was smaller than the knee below it. Subcutaneous fat disappeared, muscle wasted; temporal wasting in particular was immediately visible- MM lost so much weight that he had that look. Plus since he had so little subcutaneous fat to start, it mimicked cachexia which is the medical terminology for chronic disease (inflammatory) wasting typical of untreated HIV, cancer, end stage heart disease, COPD and a few other diagnoses.

by Anonymousreply 9601/10/2014

R95 - thanks, that's fascinating.I read that McConaughey and Vallée (the director) tried for years to get the film made and nobody wanted to touch it - AIDS movie. No way any of the studios wanted it, but they bullied their way into getting it made. The movie only cost $5 million and took less than a month to shoot so it really was a labor of love. It isn't a sophisticated looking movie (probably because it was so cheap) but it definitely is an important movie and to somebody like me, who lived through that hell and lost a lot of friends, an important one lest we forget what happened, how we were treated and how we had to fight for ourselves against Reagan and his minions.

by Anonymousreply 9701/10/2014

r95 - I know Steve and his partner also.

Ron W. may not have been homophobic on one level but I can see him acting that way in front of others. He probably wasn't out as bisexual.

Overcompensation. It is pointed out here all the time.

by Anonymousreply 9801/10/2014

The movie could have been a lot better, as the writing, direction and McC character are awfully cliche and ordinary. One of those movies where you think, damn what a missed opportunity.

by Anonymousreply 9901/10/2014

It annoyed me that they kept calling Rayon a "he" and she didn't correct them. Not once. I realize that transexualism (sic) was not as very well known then, but wouldn't Rayon have objected to being thought and called a he?

by Anonymousreply 10001/12/2014

Good performances, awful movie.

by Anonymousreply 10101/12/2014

[quote]I thought both McConaughey and Leto were superb and they are currently the frontrunners for the Oscar.

From what I've read the past couple days, it appears MM's biggest competition will come from Redford.

by Anonymousreply 10201/12/2014

Redford is going to be lucky to even get nominated. He's in an extremely shaky fifth place. Right now it's between McBongo, Ejiofor, and Dern for first, second, and third, with Hanks in a pretty solid fourth.

Redford, DiCaprio, Bale, Phoenix, Whitaker, and possibly Issac are all fighting over that last spot.

Plus DiCaprio, Bale, and Phoenix are all in likely Best Picture candidates. Redford isn't, and voting across the line for films is common.

by Anonymousreply 10301/12/2014

Dallas Buyers Club got a Best Ensemble nod at the SAGs - their equivalent of Best Picture. It could get a nod for that. McConaughey and Leto are locks for nominations and Leto's a lock to win, too.

Be interesting to see what influence True Detective has. If it's a big hit and McConaughey's done a fabulous job (and the reviews are very positive), that could put him over the top. His accumulated work this year (Mud, Wolf of Wall Street and True Detective) is very impressive. The others - Ejiofor, Redford, Dern - don't have any other praiseworthy work this year. I think in a more lackluster year Redford would win. He'd be considered to be overdue (though he never was that great an actor, he's an old-fashioned movie star), but this is too competitive a year for sentimentality to triumph.

by Anonymousreply 10401/12/2014

The praise for Matt's performance seems to be more for his physical appearance than for the actual acting. He's good, but he's playing the same smart ass Texan that he's played in just about every film. Besides, he's starring in a cable show. That will work against him. Not to mention that some in the gay community find the whitewashing of the films events offensive.

This movie is pretty much Philadelphia, with Matt playing the Denzel and Tom Hanks roles. (And that was truly a groundbreaking film for the ages, it's impact seems to have been forgotten, and that's a shame.) Leto is terrific, though, and should get a nomination.

It's just a shame that Idris Elba and Michael B Jordan aren't being considered. Especially since Mandela passed. Both give extraordinary performances that deserve nominations. Jordan give a dynamic breakthrough performance.

This might be the first year that the NAACP awards make more sense then the Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 10501/12/2014

Jared Leto deserves an Oscar - he's so on! But the rest is bathos. MacM plays a bi-sexual. One note, yelling like he's the savior of everything.

Leto gives a complete character

by Anonymousreply 10601/12/2014

It would be weird if Leto won and McConaughey didn't, because Rayon never existed and yet the movie's about Ron Woodroof.

by Anonymousreply 10701/12/2014

I didn't find McC one-note at all. I thought his and Leto's performances were the best performance of the year. 12 Years was my favorite film of the year, but Ejiofor? Not really his fault as the role just required him to suffer. I can't now even remember much of what he did whereas Fassbender and Lupita really left a mark.

Jordan was good, but come on - he's a kid. He may develop into a very good actor but with his body of work so far - Fruitvale and Friday Night Lights, he's just getting started.

I wish McQueen had cast Idris Elba in the 12 Years role, not Ejiofor (who hasn't Elba's power as an actor). Not to mention Ejiofor isn't vaguely as hot as Elba (a factor never to be neglected)...

by Anonymousreply 10801/12/2014

MM deserves a nomination much more than Forest Whitaker. The latter didn't have enough to do...not a role that brings an Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 10901/12/2014

The movie needed someone like Colin Farrell. Colin gets dissed but he can be a damn good actor on occasion who seems to excel most when he is taking risks. I also think he would have taken the character in more complex areas that would have made the movie better. The casting of McBongo was just too safe and obvious. He's very limited.

It is a shame that AIDS stories are still being fought by studios, though. No excuse for that in this day and age.

by Anonymousreply 11001/12/2014

[quote]12 Years was my favorite film of the year, but Ejiofor? Not really his fault as the role just required him to suffer. I can't now even remember much of what he did whereas Fassbender and Lupita really left a mark.

I agree, Ejiofor was bland. I think the hype has to do with his character and the subject matter, not his performance. He was merely a device to showcase slavery. Reminds me of "42" (also last year), where Jackie Robinson is used as a device to showcase segregation. Both Robinson and Solomon are stoical and don't have much to do except react. Thus, I don't get Ejiofor's frontrunner status.

by Anonymousreply 11101/12/2014

[quote]From what I've read the past couple days, it appears MM's biggest competition will come from Redford.

No, it will come from the guy whose name no-one can pronounce in 12 Years a Slave.

The film wasn't very good, and MM is clearly fishing for an Oscar for this. He gives the same performance he's always given, except he's emaciated. He'll probably win, because the Oscars are usually all about the surface of a performance, not its depth. Leto was better, but still far from extraordinary.

by Anonymousreply 11201/12/2014

Apparently the real guy was a non-homophobic bisexual. Hollywood at its usual prickest.

by Anonymousreply 11301/12/2014

"The praise for Matt's performance seems to be more for his physical appearance than for the actual acting. He's good, but he's playing the same smart ass Texan that he's played in just about every film."

True, he is just a trying-hard actor like Bale, Di Caprio or Portman. Don't get the hype about him at all.

by Anonymousreply 11601/12/2014

Have at r115. I'm too tired. But I authenticated to let r115 know what an asshole I think he is.

by Anonymousreply 11701/12/2014

R115 is a goddamn fucking moron who knows nothing about AIDS, the way things really were back then or Ronald fucking Reagan. Saved this country? You obviously weren't here. Shut the fuck up, idiot.

As for Dallas Buyers Club and McBongo, unless Redford blows me away next week, I am absolutely voting for Matthew McConaughey for Best Actor - words I never thought I'd type.

His ACTING - not his weight loss, not the subject matter, not Leto (although I loved Leto's performance), McBongo's acting is what knocked my socks off. Who knew he had it in him?

Redford may (and probably will) beat him but fingers crossed that McConaughey's nomination comes through on the 16th. He deserves at least that much recognition.

by Anonymousreply 11801/12/2014

You are really easily impressed.

by Anonymousreply 11901/12/2014

Who impresses you then? Dallas Buyers Club isn't even McConaughey's best performance this year - that would be Mud in which he didn't play the same smart-ass Texan as you claim but a character out of Flannery O'Connor - and did it convincingly and poetically.

by Anonymousreply 12001/12/2014

I, too, am easily impressed then. I think McConaughey is a remarkable actor. I haven't always thought so. I used to avoid every movie he's in. I was dragged to "Lincoln Lawyer," a by-the-numbers thriller, a couple of years ago and was pleasantly surprised by his performance.

by Anonymousreply 12101/12/2014

Well Dallas Buyers Club pulled it off. Six nominations for a film that cost under $5 million, took less than a month to shoot, a movie it took 20 years to get made because nobody in Hollywood wanted an AIDS movie.

by Anonymousreply 12201/16/2014

oh forget it. There is simply no point.

Reagan was John the Baptist to the Anti Christ Bush

by Anonymousreply 12301/16/2014

I walked into this very skeptical. I'm no Jared Leto fan and I was expecting to be annoyed by an over-the-top, histrionic, flamboyant performance. Jared Leto was amazing. Simply a breathtaking performance. I think a lot of that may rest with the director's hand but his character gave the movie its heart. Woodruff was no saint and I definitely didn't think the movie tried to say he was. He turned down a sick customer who didn't have enough money without hesitation. He was a hustler by nature and this didn't change when he got sick.

The grocery scene was slightly cringe-worthy, the story felt rushed at times, I wasn't a fan of the unsteady camera work - but any scene that Leto was in (especially when he visits his father) trumps any flaw the movie has.

by Anonymousreply 12401/19/2014

I think the film lacked the depth the performances had.

by Anonymousreply 12501/19/2014

R110 is Hephaestion/Jred Leto.

by Anonymousreply 12602/09/2014

Wasted, smoking, dried out, brittle and nasty... McC plays the same redneck character over and over again. I am personally tired of seeing it. I'm not impressed anymore, sorry to say.

by Anonymousreply 12702/09/2014

McC takes himself way too seriously, he is not a character actor, way too stiff and over the top, and yes he plays pretty much the same character in every movie.

by Anonymousreply 12802/09/2014

I saw McC this year in Mud, in DBC, in WOWS and True Detective. The characters were not vaguely similar.

Mud was the best performance.

by Anonymousreply 12902/09/2014

Today on CNN they were doing a live report from the place that makes the Oscar statues - At the end of the report the guy doing the report was talking about the final step in making the Oscar, placing the winners plate on the award. he reached down to a stack of plates and held it to the camera. It for the Best Actor and Leonardo DiCaprio's name was on it. he then said "I don't think I was supposed to show that." Here is a link to a pic I took of it.

by Anonymousreply 13002/10/2014

They do those for all the nominees so it can be rapidly attached to the statue as soon as the winner goes backstage with the Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 13102/10/2014

Jared Leto today at Oscars nominees luncheon

As he said, gay as a goose.

by Anonymousreply 13202/10/2014

Best libertarian movie ever.

by Anonymousreply 13302/15/2015

Love this movie.

by Anonymousreply 13402/15/2015

Caught it again recently on HBO. Despite all the complaints at the time about the lead character not being gay (and then all the complaints about Jared Leto not being Alexis Arquette), it really is a compelling story, tragic but with a lot of laughs.

Loved the intimate, documentary filming style of Vallee. Really loved Wild (to my astonishment). This guy is very talented. Catch his gay-themed movie C.R.A.Z.Y and Cafe de Flore.

McConaughey and Leto were flawless.

It's a good companion piece to How to Survive a Plague, both of which nailed Ronnie Raygun's administration to the wall.

by Anonymousreply 13502/16/2015

I thought it awful and turned it off after about 20 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 13602/16/2015

It was OK. I still don't get all the fuss about McConaughey. He was definitely good, but I'm not sure about all the praise. I think he got a lot of attention because True Detective was a critical darling at the time, and he did show some range in playing both roles. I was glad when he didn't win the Emmy. I wasn't all that taken with him in True Detective. Another overrated performance IMHO.

On the other hand, I can understand the praise heaped on Leto. I thought he gave a very nuanced performance.

by Anonymousreply 13702/16/2015

R137, despite my love of the pure libertarian nature of the movie, I would still love due to the absolute lack of vanity by MM and JL.

These are handsome sex symbols, and they show all the flaws.

The scene with MM in bed, in just a dressing gown and tighty-whites, thin and gaunt and sick- or JL towards the end...I love this movie.

by Anonymousreply 13802/16/2015

I liked McConaughey in DBC, certainly more than the other performances nominated. Bale was ridiculous in his De Niro impersonation, Di Caprio did another one of his screaming at the top of his lungs routines, Dern was asleep half the time and Ejiofor was not only not charismatic and compelling, any time anybody else was on screen, I'd watch them. So he was more deserving than the others.

But his performances in Killer Joe, Mud and Interstellar are better than his work in DBC. And his performance in True Detective is iconic.

by Anonymousreply 13902/16/2015

"Alright, alright, alright..." Will live forever as a film touchstone.

by Anonymousreply 14002/17/2015

Loved C.R.A.Z.Y. Thought this piece of garbage was O.V.E.R.R.A.T.E.D.

by Anonymousreply 14102/17/2015
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!