Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What films do you find hard to watch?

I find the Taxi Driver disturbing. It's so sad the main character would fall apart during the ending of the film. The whole film, really, the concepts, and themes leaves you feeling empty after watching it.

by Anonymousreply 8004/20/2014

American Werewolf in London scared the crap out of me, the combination of comedy and violence was too much for me.

by Anonymousreply 111/03/2013

Field of Dreams

by Anonymousreply 211/03/2013

"Schindler's List" was amazing, but I could never watch it again. Same goes for "Saving Private Ryan".

by Anonymousreply 311/03/2013

Hard to Watch, starring Tracey Jordan.

by Anonymousreply 411/03/2013

Boys Don't Cry

Million Dollar Baby

Black Swan

by Anonymousreply 511/03/2013

Raging Bull is a tough one for me, though it's an excellent movie. I bought the DVD around five years ago and I still haven't opened it.

by Anonymousreply 611/03/2013

I thought it was just me, r6. I've never watched it a second time.

by Anonymousreply 711/03/2013

Requiem for a Dream. Somehow I saw that one twice - never again. Eden Lake - just watched that one last night and it cemented my childfree stance for good. Bent.

by Anonymousreply 811/03/2013

Wow love raging bull, have watched it so many times. Why do you all avoid it?

by Anonymousreply 911/03/2013

Wolf Creek

by Anonymousreply 1011/03/2013

Lilya 4-ever.

by Anonymousreply 1111/03/2013

It's a great movie, r9. It was just one of the most depressing movies I've ever seen in the theater. Walking home, I felt as though I'd been punched in the gut.

I felt the same way after [italic]the Conversation[/italic]. It was about 25 years before I watched that again.

by Anonymousreply 1211/03/2013

I'm with R11. I never close my eyes during movies, but I saw Lilya 4-ever when it came out and my eyes were closed a lot.

by Anonymousreply 1411/03/2013

The Big Chill

The Natural

Fatal Attraction

Oh it just goes on..

by Anonymousreply 1511/03/2013

I don't understand why I can't get over my fear of The Exorcist, even knowing what to expect. I believe Mercedes McCambridge, I believe she did the girl's voice as the devil, is so eerie, I don't think I'll ever be able to listen without being frightened.

I can also still be frightened by an old 1963 movie called "The Haunting" with Julie Harris, Claire Bloom and the gorgeous Richard Johnson.

by Anonymousreply 1611/04/2013

Here is my list:

Susperia Gone With the Wind City Lights

by Anonymousreply 1711/04/2013

kids

Giant

Boy Don't Cry

by Anonymousreply 1811/04/2013

Uncomfortable humor ... things like Jackass, Bad Grandpa, Borat, etc. I can't even watch them at all.

by Anonymousreply 1911/04/2013

Any movie that depicts a man abusing/hitting a woman or kids.

I had nightmare for days when I saw the Burning Bed.

I grew up in a household where my mother, myself and siblings were physically abused by my alcoholic father. I don't find depictions of abuse to be entertaining.

by Anonymousreply 2011/04/2013

Silver Linings Playbook. It took me four days to watch the whole thing, and will never watch it again. Hammy as it may seem to some people, I grew up with bipolar disorder (then called manic depression) in my family, and some scenes rang way too true.

by Anonymousreply 2111/04/2013

yes [16], watch the haunting as a 13 year old when I was babysitting one night, only to go home to a house where the heating systems pipes made a racket. Surprised I didn't shit and wet the bed. still a pretty scary movie.

by Anonymousreply 2211/04/2013

"Mysterious Skin"

by Anonymousreply 2311/04/2013

Any of the Paranormal Event movies. I hate being startled.

by Anonymousreply 2411/04/2013

Misfit

by Anonymousreply 2511/04/2013

Funny Games (either version) Henry Portrait of a Serial Killer Come and See (Russian WWII war movie) Gummo. .... Fucking horrible.

by Anonymousreply 2611/04/2013

Erasurehead - saw it in film study class in high school. That movie stayed with me for a long time.

Videodrome - I liked it and hated it at the same time.

Children of the Corn - evil kids freak me out. I've tried to watch it a couple of times but just can't make it more than 20 minutes.

Monster- good performances but still hard to watch

Bully - I knew how it was going to end but I just didn't want to see it.

Jacob's Ladder - It made me feel really weird/bad/unsettled. Thought that I just didn't pay enough attention, or just didn't get it the first time so I saw it again, same reaction only worse.

This probably has nothing to with Jacob's Ladder but I can't think of that movie without thinking of what happened after I left the movie theatre. I was walking home (alone)after seeing Jacob's Ladder (arround midnight)and once I got off the main street I was positive there was someone following me. It was a quiet residential neighborhood and very quiet at that time of night. I could hear the footsteps, but every time I loooked behind me there was no one there. The last time I looked behind me, about 30 feet back, there was a tall guy in a long London Fog looking long rain coat and a hat, just standing there, not trying to hide, just looking at me. I'm not much of a scairdy cat, but there was somethig about this guy that just felt wrong. I ran the last three and a half blocks home. I ran as fast as I could and I was seriously wheezing and out of breath by the time I got to my apartment building, even tho I was a long distance runner at that time and had been training for the last 8 months to run my 4th marathon. My building has two locked doors to get into it. During the day there is a doorman and the first locking door is left unlocked. I had just closed the inner/2nd locking door into the lobby of my apartment building when he showed up. He just casualy walked up in front of the 1st locked door. His hat was tilted at a downward angle so I could only see the bottom 1/4 of his face. He smiled at me and the only way I can decribe it is that it was a cold smile. Then he said "Let me in", like it was the most normal of requests to let into my apartment building the guy who just chased me home. I yelled "No". He started to tilt his head back, and I was even more scared,I didn't want to see what the rest of his face looked like so I took off. It was only later when I was talking this over with my best friend (who I convinced to come over to spend the night) that I realized that the guy hadn't been at all out of breath, or sweating, and he had to have been only 5-10 seconds behind me, even tho he started out 30 ft behind me, and I know I was running fast. After this I didn't go out by myself at night for the rest of the time I lived there and moved out of the building about 3 months later.

by Anonymousreply 2711/04/2013

That's a scary story r27. It's almost sounds like one of the black eyed kids stories. Did you ever see the guy again?

by Anonymousreply 2811/04/2013

Holy crap r27.

Dead Ringers. The atmosphere in the small theatre where i saw it was so tense they had to stop the movie twice. The first time because somebody passed out, the second time because someone was having a seizure.

by Anonymousreply 2911/04/2013

The Poseidon Adventure

This movie came out when I was about six. It's the first movie I saw where good people keep on dying.

It freaked me out.

by Anonymousreply 3011/04/2013

Brokeback Mountain, without any question. I'd never cried so much over a movie. I haven't been able to watch it again since it came out, because of that. I've told myself I won't watch it again until I'm feeling super good about being gay.

by Anonymousreply 3111/04/2013

Dancer in the Dark. That movie is so incredibly sad and depressing I don't know how I could ever watch it again. I thought it was a great movie, though -- so I hope one day to accomplish it. Plus I love Denueve.

Oleanna. That's a Mamet film seldom shown anywhere. But if you've ever been a teacher/professor and had to interact with adolescents, that movie will give you chills for months. It was on some obscure channel a month or two ago, but I could only watch bits and pieces -- and I don't even teach anymore!

by Anonymousreply 3211/04/2013

There's Something about Kevin.

Try it -- I dare you.

by Anonymousreply 3311/04/2013

"Breaking the Waves." I saw it at the theatre when it first opened. Yes, it is a brilliant movie but once will be enough for me. "Biutiful" with Bardem is another movie that I will never revisit again.

by Anonymousreply 3411/04/2013

Terms of Endearment

by Anonymousreply 3511/04/2013

Lately, I find most films hard to watch, but maybe it's because I can't find my eyeglasses .

by Anonymousreply 3611/04/2013

I switched it off after about 15 minutes, R33. I knew it wasn't going to be something I wanted to see all the way through.

by Anonymousreply 3711/04/2013

That movie doesn't exist, R33, so I imagine it is VERY hard to watch.

by Anonymousreply 3811/04/2013

Mysterious Skin and Requiem for a Dream. The utter hopelessness ...

by Anonymousreply 3911/04/2013

Ms. 45 and Bad Lieutenant, particularly the latter. Those scenes with Jesus crying out in pain or where Jesus walks off the cross towards Harvey Keitel's character were so disturbing and surreal to me and I'm not even Catholic or Christian. It was certainly one of the two or three most disturbing movies I've ever seen. And

by Anonymousreply 4011/04/2013

I generally hate stalker movies the first time around, but once I know how it turns out I can watch it again, if I need to for some reason.

I have a hard time watching A Streetcar Named Desire. I always hope Mitch will act like a man and not like a peer-pressured pussy and accept Blanche as she is, but he never does.

And I also find shows like Curb Your Enthusiasm and Jackass too embarassing to watch without wanting to cover my eyes and ears.

by Anonymousreply 4111/04/2013

x

by Anonymousreply 4204/19/2014

I only made it a few minutes into the original Saw.

Didn't even attempt Human Centipede.

by Anonymousreply 4304/19/2014

The one about the guy who gets stuck in prison in Turkey for trying to smuggle hash.

Good film but...never again, probably.

by Anonymousreply 4404/19/2014

any film showing surgery

by Anonymousreply 4504/19/2014

"Silence of the Lambs"

by Anonymousreply 4604/19/2014

Silence of the Lambs

by Anonymousreply 4704/19/2014

I don't re-watch films, or re-read books, very often. Too many new ones!

by Anonymousreply 4804/19/2014

The Day of the Locust

Requiem for a Dream

Breaking the Waves

by Anonymousreply 4904/19/2014

Longtime Companion

by Anonymousreply 5004/19/2014

I shall provide you with a list, which unfortunately keeps getting longer.

by Anonymousreply 5104/19/2014

Before the Devil Know Your Dead

Absolutely brilliant. More so because Lumet was in his 80s when he wrote and directed it.

Unfortunately there's something about matricide and filicide that doesn't make me click up my heels. The tragedy is just too overwhelming.

Saving Pvt. Ryan. The horrors of war are just too horrible to lunch

by Anonymousreply 5204/19/2014

Another vote for Boys Don't Cry. I loved it, but felt so helpless watching it. Won't watch it again.

by Anonymousreply 5304/19/2014

I actually watched it twice in one day, r33. Grim, but fascinating in a driving-by-a-car-accident sort of way. Tilda and all the creepy Kevins were great.

Now *I'm* gonna dare *you*--"Savage Grace".

by Anonymousreply 5404/19/2014

[You do realize that this is a troll, right? It does not believe what it posts. It just craves attention. You might want to stop talking to it.]

by Anonymousreply 5504/19/2014

The Passion of the Christ. The crucifixion scene was extremely disturbing. Otherwise, the acting was superb.

by Anonymousreply 5604/19/2014

[quote]Didn't even attempt Human Centipede.

Don't even try! You will be disturbed for months to come.

by Anonymousreply 5704/19/2014

Horror films are many times too hard for me to handle emotionally so I avoid quite many of them. Especially the ones with supernatural monsters, if they are scary that is. And overall I avoid films that I know I will react very emotionally to.

One film I don't want to ever see again is A Serbian Film. Sure it's deliberately made to shock but everything happening in it tells what human nature is very easily capable of.

by Anonymousreply 5804/19/2014

[quote]Brokeback Mountain, without any question. I'd never cried so much over a movie. I haven't been able to watch it again since it came out, because of that. I've told myself I won't watch it again until I'm feeling super good about being gay.

I had to be calmed down, after viewing BM. I pretty much cried for a week, that's how much the film upset me.

by Anonymousreply 5904/19/2014

Requiem For A Dream.

Sophie's Choice .

Come Back Little Sheba.

Sybil .

Leaving Las Vegas.

Salo ( seriously wish I had never watched this.)

by Anonymousreply 6004/19/2014

The Accused. The rape scene still makes me queasy.

by Anonymousreply 6104/19/2014

Ben Kingsley and Jennifer Connelly made some movie about an Iranian family, and some young woman who wouldn't move out of a house they owned, and it ended terribly. It was called House of Sand and Fog.

It was one of the most despairing, sad horrible terrible movies I've ever seen and I only watched it once, even though Kingsley was awesome in it, and the woman who played his wife was nominated for an Oscar. I think she may have won supporting actress.

by Anonymousreply 6204/19/2014

I've watched Brokeback Mountain twice. I was with friends and we were going to watch it, me for the third time and I just couldn't. By the time they reached the reunion scene when they run off to a motel, I was through. I could not watch any more of it. Way too sad.

by Anonymousreply 6304/19/2014

Last Exit To Brooklyn--one of the bleakest, ugliest, most unpleasant films ever made. I never want to see it again.

by Anonymousreply 6404/19/2014

"The Diving Bell and the Butterfly," based on the autobiography of a fashion editor who suffered a stroke and left him paralyzed and unable to speak. The lead actor is Mathieu Amalric, a terrific French actor.

by Anonymousreply 6504/19/2014

I was OK with the first 49 loads, but that 50th load was just one too many.

by Anonymousreply 6604/19/2014

Terms of Endearment and The Big Chill are two of the worst, poorest written and poorest acted and boring movies of all time. How either one got any accolades is beyond me.

I hate all of the Star Wars movies. and most of the Star Trek movies.

Maybe I am interpreting this wrong. I thought it meant hard to watch because they are lousy movies.

by Anonymousreply 6704/19/2014

Is Last Exit to Brooklyn the movie where Jennifer Jason Leigh gets gang-raped?

by Anonymousreply 6804/19/2014

[quote]Is Last Exit to Brooklyn the movie where Jennifer Jason Leigh gets gang-raped?

To say that she was gang raped would be an understatement.

by Anonymousreply 6904/19/2014

I know you guys are going to think I'm crazy but I always had trouble getting through a clockwork orange.

by Anonymousreply 7004/19/2014

Last Exit to Brooklyn is a great movie but so bleak and devastating, it leaves you raw. Just that a movie can have such an effect says something. However, my DVD I ordered to watch it a second time sits sealed in plastic, unwatched. Don't know that I choose to be that depresses voluntarily.

by Anonymousreply 7104/19/2014

Dead Poets society

by Anonymousreply 7204/19/2014

I've always had trouble watching anything with Shelley Long. I get nauseous and have suicidal thoughts.

by Anonymousreply 7304/19/2014

Add Freaks, an old one with real Circus freaks as actors. Can't watch it through.

by Anonymousreply 7404/19/2014

I saw The Exorcist a couple of weeks back. Hadn't seen it in 20 years at least. Still scared the shit out of me. Friedkin was one crazy genius.

by Anonymousreply 7504/19/2014

r73 = Bette Midler

by Anonymousreply 7604/19/2014

Maria Full of Grace and Palindromes. Both were disturbing.

by Anonymousreply 7704/19/2014

R2, it was Iowa.

R33, it's titled WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT KEVIN.

by Anonymousreply 7804/20/2014

I saw We Need to Talk About Kevin twice. Horrific. Tilda, John C Reilly, and most of all the last actor to play Kevin. OMG. I remember the first time I watched it I was just stunned. I thought Tilda and the Kevins were absolutely superb. I have to wonder how they found little kids to act out those roles. Reilly was excellent, too. But Tilda and the Kevins really owned the movie. Shattering experience.

by Anonymousreply 7904/20/2014

That is super creepy, R27. Good calling on moving out of that apartment.

by Anonymousreply 8004/20/2014
Need more help? Click Here.