Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

eBay in trouble to holocaust memorabilia auctions

With all due respect, what is the difference between selling holocaust items as opposed to say items belonging to slaves, other war memorabilia, etc. it's not like the money made is supporting the Nazi regime. If anything, it puts these historical items in the hands of people who will hopefully preserve them for future generations. I don't see why it's so wrong. In fact, I think it's the best way to pass on items of the diseased victims as a way to memorialize them.

by Anonymousreply 1711/03/2013

To = for

Sorry for the grammatical/capitalization errors. I'm on my not so smart phone.

by Anonymousreply 111/02/2013

Christ, they sell items from the slave trade, r1? Bloody hell. Why would anyone wish to profit from the utter misery with which such items are connected?

by Anonymousreply 211/03/2013

Agree R2.

by Anonymousreply 311/03/2013

You meant deceased? Or do you think the victims all had diseases?

by Anonymousreply 411/03/2013

Well, r4, they certainly were dis-eased.

by Anonymousreply 511/03/2013

R4, see R1.

by Anonymousreply 611/03/2013

Oprah is known for collecting slavery artifacts. It's history.

by Anonymousreply 711/03/2013

and, what do they expect to happen to these artifacts? Are we supposed to destroy them because the make people uncomfortable? Are people unaware that museums shop eBay as well?

I have a collection of Nazi dolls. I am hardly a neo-Nazi. I use them in lectures as an educational tool. I also have some pottery made at the workshop at Dachau, because my maternal grandfather was incarcerated in Dachau twice. He worked in the pottery the first time, and died at Dachau the second time.

by Anonymousreply 811/03/2013

R8, my mother would have had a brother, and I another uncle, had he not died in Dachau in 1940. I am not bothered by the sale of these artifacts. The Holocaust happened. It should not be forgotten. I imagine if his concentration camp outfit had somehow come into my possession, my uncle would not have minded my selling it.

Just by coincidence, I was thinking about this recently, what I would do if I had had his uniform. Would I frame it and hang it on a wall? At home or in my office?

Passing these artifacts along helps us to Never Forget.

by Anonymousreply 911/03/2013

Ebay bows to groups that pressure them. Some group, the NAACP perhaps, could get them to stop selling slave related things.

by Anonymousreply 1011/03/2013

If the family of the baker who died can get $15,000 or more for his old concentration camp uniform, isn't that a good thing? Maybe that auction was going to pay for a grandkid's college education.

The alternative is to donate it to a museum. All the family gets is a tax deduction, something they probably can't even use, and how much will the museum appreciate the gift? Let's be honest, The Holocaust Museum probably has dozens of them already. At the very least they have more than they can possibly display, and as the Debbie Reynolds and other old movie costume auctions have shown, you can't assume that artifacts made of fabric will be properly taken care of just because they're in the hands of a museum.

I would assume that when we're talking about that kind of money the uniform will go to a serious collector who will spend the additional money required to preserve it correctly, and isn't that a good thing as well?

I find it creepy, but I've never understood collecting anything having to do with war, killing, or destruction, and certainly nothing to do with Nazi Germany, but it's a popular hobby, and from what I've seen these are serious collectors, not neo-nazis.

Besides, given the cottage industry that's grown up in Eastern Germany faking WWII stuff, I would really be suspicious of anything offered for sale on ebay.

by Anonymousreply 1111/03/2013

R9, do you know why your uncle was in Dachau? Have you been there? Have you looked up his records?

by Anonymousreply 1211/03/2013

Ebay is making the acquisition of such items more scarce and therefore more valuable for when they're eventually sold on the market.

by Anonymousreply 1311/03/2013

The relatives of the victims want to control who is making money off the Holocaust.

by Anonymousreply 1411/03/2013

R12, I do not know why my uncle was in Dachau.

That part of the family may or may not have been Jewish. Though my mother looked like a cross between Anne Frank and Judge Judy (without the sneer), she was brought up Catholic (through her mother).

My grandfather died before I was born. Apparently he had another family, an earlier family, in Austria.

I have never been to Dachau. Here's a website, though, that includes a search function with which you can look up inmates:

by Anonymousreply 1511/03/2013

R16 thinks he's just hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 1711/03/2013
Need more help? Click Here.