Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Tylenol PM or Advil PM?

Which one works better as a sleep aid?

TIA.

by Anonymousreply 2105/01/2014

Have you tried melatonin? It works much better for me than any OTC meds.

by Anonymousreply 111/02/2013

I like Valeron Root pills, you can get them at any pharmacy. Or some pot and a boring tv show, zzzzzzzz.

by Anonymousreply 211/02/2013

I prefer a Percocet.

by Anonymousreply 311/02/2013

Neither Melatonin or Valerian Root works for me. I built up a tolerance to Ambien after a few years.

by Anonymousreply 411/02/2013

[quote]Which one works better as a sleep aid?

There's virtually no difference between the two. Both contain diphenhydramine, which is also the ingredient in Benadryl that makes you sleepy. You are, however, much less likely to damage your liver with Advil PM, at least if you're taking it regularly or at doses larger than the maximum recommended.

by Anonymousreply 511/03/2013

[quote]You are, however, much less likely to damage your liver with Advil PM

True, but you're more likely to damage your stomach.

OP, you shouldn't take unnecessary pain meds when all you need is a sleep aid. Try Benadryl or generic diphenhydramine, or Unisom or generic doxylamine. I find the latter more effective but everyone is different.

by Anonymousreply 611/03/2013

Thanks for the recs. Benadryl makes me feel really wonky the next day, though.

by Anonymousreply 711/03/2013

[quote]Thanks for the recs. Benadryl makes me feel really wonky the next day, though.

You're talking Benadryl every time you take Tylenol PM or Advil PM.

Benadryl is the same medicine in the "PM" products: diphenhydramine, Tylenol PM is acetaminophen (generic Tylenol) and diphenhydramine (generic Benadryl), Advil PM is ibuprofen and dyphenhydramine.

Overuse of acetaminophen can result in liver damage; this risk is increased with alcohol consumption. Overuse of NSAIDs like ibuprofen can cause bleeding stomach ulcers. Use Benadryl or another sleep aid for insomnia, and save the pain meds for when you're actually in pain. Also, read labels and learn generic names of drugs and their side effects. Don't just pop any old pill when you get the urge. It's not a good way to live.

by Anonymousreply 811/03/2013

OK, R8, thanks.

by Anonymousreply 911/03/2013

Watching soap operas.

by Anonymousreply 1011/03/2013

Whatever happened to good old-fashioned bourbon?

by Anonymousreply 1111/03/2013

You can get the ingredient in Tylenol PM and Advil PM that makes you sleepy without getting the advil or tylenol. Diphenhydramine HCI is used in ZzzQUIL, Sominex and other sleep products.

I buy a nighttime sleep aid from Walmart that has 25mg of Diphenhydramine HCI, their brand of Equate Nighttime sleep aid. If you don't like Walmart I would guess most drug chains have a similar store brand. Why take the Tylenol or Advil when you don't need it?

If that doesn't work for you an even stronger nighttime sleep aid is Unisom. The active ingredient in Unisom is Doxylamine Succinate 25 mg. I only take a half pill of that, and it leaves me feeling drugged half of the next day.

by Anonymousreply 1211/03/2013

Thanks, R12.

by Anonymousreply 1311/03/2013

I am not stupid enough to pay $18 to start a thread, so I'll just ask here.

Did they ever catch the Tylenol murder in Chicago? It was right when AIDS came out. Do you think it's related?

by Anonymousreply 1405/01/2014

The liver damage potential of tylenol is not an empty threat and is a more serious concern that the potential stomach damage from ibuprofen.

You should always take other pain medications if there is an option, especially if you are a frequent consumer of alcohol. Avoid acetaminophen.

by Anonymousreply 1505/01/2014

100 proof vodka

by Anonymousreply 1605/01/2014

Advil is a muscle relaxant, if you have problems sleeping because you are too tense. Add this to the Benadryl, and its better than Tylenol

by Anonymousreply 1705/01/2014

Seconding ZzzzQuil. Just take it an hour or so before bedtime.

by Anonymousreply 1805/01/2014

[all posts by childish idiot removed]

by Anonymousreply 1905/01/2014

[all posts by childish idiot removed]

by Anonymousreply 2005/01/2014

People having trouble falling asleep might find help from relaxation technique you do when you go to bed.

Start by breathing deep a few times, and after that keep breathing slower than normal. Concentrate your mind on your body parts imagining that they are getting heavier (or just feeling the muscler relaxing, like with the head). When you imagine muscles getting heavy you also feel them getting warm which means that they are relaxing.

Start from the shoulders and go slowly down the arms to your hands and fingers. Feel every part you concentrate on getting heavy and warm.

Then imagine the top of your head relaxing and move the concentration down to your forehead, eyebrows and temples. Then relax your eye muscles and eyelids. Then your ears, cheeks, mouth and tongue, and then the jaw. Go down to your neck and feel its muscles relaxing. Move your concentration to the back of your head and go down to the neck.

Then move to the frontside by imagining your chest relaxing. Go down to the stomach and imagine the muscles and your intestines relaxing. Then down to the pelvis.

Move your concentration to the upper back and go slowly down to your butt, feeling them all getting heavier and warmer. Then move to your legs and go down the thighs to your knees, and then down to your ankles until you reach the toes.

Now stay in this position for as long as you like, and just enjoy the stillness. I usually drift off to sleep or close to sleep but when I get a need to move I usually move a little and then just fall asleep. Obviously the relaxation won't help everyone because there are so many reasons for insomnia. But it certainly doesn't hurt, and your body will thank you because many times we just don't notice how tense our muscles are. It's wonderful to feel your muscles relaxing when you just concentrate on them. E.g. relaxing the eye muscles is just heavenly when you realize how tense they are. (BTW it might help to see drawings of the muscles around your eyes so you know where to concentrate on.)

When you do this for awhile the relaxation starts happening faster and faster.

by Anonymousreply 2105/01/2014
Need more help? Click Here.