Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

America's "military families"

I'm sick of their veneration. Our involvement in the Middle East is criminal and 50 years from now no one will intelligently dispute this.

by Anonymousreply 1411/02/2013

The military and their families do what they are told to do by the people you and I elect. Regardless of our opinion of their mission/s they deserve our support and recognition. If we don't like what they are doing, then we have only ourselves to blame.

by Anonymousreply 111/02/2013

That is not the problem. The military is as the military should be. It is subject to those elected. If it were any different, we'd be like Egypt and most of the middle east countries who are our allies.

by Anonymousreply 311/02/2013

R1 is absolutely correct. Blaming poor grunt soldiers for the criminal fuckery of George W. Bush and Dick Cheney is fucking retarded.

F&F for OP, R2 and R4 - for rank stupidity and for blaming people who probably only joined because they had no other hope of going to college or feeding their families.

by Anonymousreply 511/02/2013

R6, you're an ass. You are too young to realize what happened after Vietnam. It ruined a generation of young men who lost limbs and their minds and were spit on in the streets.

by Anonymousreply 711/02/2013

F&F for R6, R8.

You are an arrogant, ignorant child and deserve to get your ass kicked.

You know nothing and what you spend your days and nights so feverishly typing out is worth less than belly button lint.

by Anonymousreply 911/02/2013

R7, I agree with you however there is one point I want to correct.

Soldiers were not spit on when they came home from Vietnam. It may have happened in one or two isolated incidents but it was never a common or widespread practice as it is sometimes imagined today.

It's a metaphor for the lack of respect, appreciation and caring that was shown to those boys when they got home. Basic decency was in short supply. I remember it well and in that sense, the spitting metaphor is valid. It was a shameful period in our nation's history - both the war itself and the way those veterans were treated when they got home.

These debacles in Iraq and Afghanistan will also be remembered as shameful times in our nation's history. Thankfully, we aren't making the same mistake with the soldiers we sent there that we made with the soldiers we sent to Vietnam. (Except that we don't pay them enough, give them adequate medical care, and etc.)

There is simply no excuse for OP's several offensive and idiotic posts in this thread. No excuse at all.

by Anonymousreply 1111/02/2013

I respect the soldiers for the most part. Or rather, I have sympathy for (some of) them. I went to a lower income high school, and I remember how the military recruiters used to swim around the lunchrooms like sharks.

That said, I do reserve some of my lowest opinions for career military wives. I've never known one that wasn't unemployed.

by Anonymousreply 1311/02/2013

Don't forget, those recruiters are some lying, high-pressure, manipulative motherfuckers.

Most of these kids had no idea what they were getting into. The ones who did were more than likely trapped in an area and a life where they had damn few choices, if any.

Use some common sense and a little humanity before you attack those poor bastards.

by Anonymousreply 1411/02/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!