Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Senate ENDA Vote Will Be A Test Of The Republican Party Rebranding

The Senate is scheduled to vote on the Employment Non-Discrimination Act on Monday, with prospects for passage looking good. Every Democrat has signed onto the measure, and at least four Republicans have as well: Susan Collins of Maine, Mark Kirk of Illinois, Orrin Hatch of Utah, and Lisa Murkowski of Alaska. That puts the vote count at 59, just one shy of the supermajority needed to get anything out of the Senate these days.

The real question isn’t whether the bill’s supporters can secure one more Republican to vote with them. It’s how many more Republicans are willing to vote for ENDA. The bill represents the party’s best chance to moderate its image with voters on social issues. That’s the reason why it’s so fraught for the undeclared.

For the most part, the intraparty battle being waged in the GOP now isn’t about principles. It’s about tactics (or willingness to recognize political reality). But ENDA really is about principle in two ways: it’s about extending the government’s reach into the workplace and its about gay rights. And that last point is still a real problem with the base.

A moderate conservative (assuming they exist) might agree that workplace discrimination is a bad idea, but still be opposed to marriage equality. But for the true believers, anything that advances the government’s recognition of LGBT people is a sin.

This is why the party gets people like Dean Young as serious candidates. If it wasn’t for hard-core homophobia, Young wouldn’t have made it into a runoff as a GOP Congressional nominee in Alabama. But there he is, as a reminder to other Republicans that the only thing they have to fear is an attack from the right.

In many ways, the ENDA vote will be symbolic, not the least reason being that it’s going nowhere in the House of Representatives. But the bigger symbolism will be what the final vote says about the party. It may reveal the fault lines between the factions. Or it could be most Republicans prefer to cave on anything that could threaten their base. In the short run, that may make sense politically, but in the long-term it just underscores why the party is stuck in a dead end.

by Anonymousreply 2111/04/2013

It doesn't take sixty votes to pass something. It takes sixty votes to invoke cloture and end debate. It takes fifty-one votes to pass a bill if there has been a successful motion to invoke cloture. A Senator can vote to invoke cloture and then vote against a bill.

by Anonymousreply 111/02/2013

R1, but they never do.

by Anonymousreply 211/02/2013

Didn't Rob Portman say he was in favor of passing ENDA? The 60th vote will be very significant, and then probably 5 to as many as 12 senators will vote for at least cloture if not the bill. Eugene Delgaudio's head will explode.

Then, sadly, it dies in the House, at least until 2015.

by Anonymousreply 311/03/2013

Don't you find it shocking that so many Republican would vote against ending work place discrimination?

by Anonymousreply 411/03/2013

Senate may pass this but the House will not and cannot. They can't even do immigration reform and the baggers want to reinstate DADT as well as permit any form of discrimination on the basis of religion.

Does this sound like a party that understands what happened in 2008, 2012, and soon in 2013 and next in 2014? Nope.

by Anonymousreply 511/03/2013

You will find most of them have no interest in re-branding anything. Only the few vulnerable to being ousted. Many are locked in because of gerrymandering. They are doubling down on hate.

by Anonymousreply 611/03/2013

The Senate isn't gerrymandered! I think there'll be a floor vote on it, with as many as a half dozen R votes in favor (yawn).

by Anonymousreply 711/03/2013

Is there ever anything that doesn't have to go through the House besides Supreme Court nominations?

by Anonymousreply 811/03/2013

Treaties, high-level appointments, R8.

by Anonymousreply 911/03/2013

9R7[ Ok have it your way. It still has to go to the house.

by Anonymousreply 1011/03/2013

Tonight, the Senate is expected to easily advance a bill prohibiting discrimination against LGBT employees in the workplace.

If passed, the Employment Non-Discrimination Act (ENDA) would mark a new chapter in the fight for equal rights!

But, Speaker Boehner just affirmed that he will not bring ENDA to the floor for a vote if it passes in the Senate. Let’s get 100,000 strong pressuring Boehner to end the days where LGBT Americans can be fired just because of who they love:

by Anonymousreply 1111/04/2013

LGBT Americans can be fired just because of who they love

Oh, dear.

The DCCC needs to proof their texts.

by Anonymousreply 1211/04/2013

[quote]In many ways, the ENDA vote will be symbolic, not the least reason being that it’s going nowhere in the House of Representatives.

And this is what I hate most about Washington. Why are they wasting time on this shit when it has ZERO chance of passing? There is much more important stuff that needs to be addressed.

by Anonymousreply 1311/04/2013

R13, are you for real? What you hate most about Washington is any attempt to pass pro-gay legislation? You realize you're on a gay website, yes?

The problem is the Republicans who are opposed to gay equality. We need to take back the House. And votes like this make it clear why we need to defeat Republicans.

I'm assuming you're a Republican.

by Anonymousreply 1411/04/2013

R14 No, I am not a Republican, I'm a realist. It's not going to pass the House, so why waste time? I'm similarly against all of the other 'window-dressing' stuff that goes on ("National Raisin Month" anyone?) in lieu of REAL work.

by Anonymousreply 1511/04/2013

It's not a waste of time. It forces Republicans to go on record as being anti-gay. That is useful information for voters.

by Anonymousreply 1611/04/2013

The President and the Democrats are fighting for our rights and we're spending more time talking about hot men and their bodies.

by Anonymousreply 1711/04/2013

Wait....Orrin Hatch? Did I read that correctly? Are my eyes deceiving me?

by Anonymousreply 1811/04/2013

Rethugs in the house are not making any effort to re-brand anything. They have doubled down on all the bull shit. Most of them don't need to change their message, they are gerrymandered and can't be defeated. They are trying to take down the sane ones in the process.

Congress is no longer owned by the voters, it is owned by special interest money and right wing fund raising.

by Anonymousreply 1911/04/2013

R13/R15 is really naïve isn't he?

by Anonymousreply 2011/04/2013

"I'm similarly against all of the other 'window-dressing' stuff that goes on ("National Raisin Month" anyone?) in lieu of REAL work."

This isn't window dressing. Seriously, who would post something like that on a gay board?

by Anonymousreply 2111/04/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!