Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

How many days can you go without social contact?

Me: a whole day, but I start feeling funny on the second day. You?

by Anonymousreply 3011/16/2013

Including phone? Or just f2f? I can go for days without actually seeing people in person. But I like to talk on the phone during that time.

by Anonymousreply 111/02/2013

Days and days and days...

by Anonymousreply 211/02/2013

I am good for a week or more.

by Anonymousreply 311/02/2013

4 days

by Anonymousreply 411/02/2013

I can go weeks.

The older I get the less I like dealing with other people. I fully intend on being one of those little old men that is discovered dead in my bed after the mailman reported my mail piling up.

I decided a few days ago that I really need to pull back and regroup. It's been the year from hell for me=health issue, lost job, financial issues and I could go on. The past couple of weeks have been brutal. My car crapped out and I can't afford to fix it. I really need a new one, but that's out of the picture.

Right now I'm thinking of spending at least until the end of the year away from everybody. Getting really tired of everybody trying to "fix" what's going on when they have no clue.

I deleted my Facebook account last week and canceled my smart phone. Should be interesting. With no car, I'm pretty much stuck close to home until I can scape up enough cash to fix it.

by Anonymousreply 511/02/2013

Probably months. I don't like people.

by Anonymousreply 611/02/2013

People, you don't need human contact if you have cats. Lots and lots of cats. Now go away and don't come back to my door again.

by Anonymousreply 711/02/2013

many months

by Anonymousreply 811/02/2013

I need it isolation sometimes. This week was so busy that I purposely planned this weekend to be no contact with anyone.

by Anonymousreply 911/02/2013

Hard to say. I haven't ever had the opportunity to go more than a day or two without any social interaction. Do you mean no human contact whatsoever. Or no contact with actual friends and family?

Interesting question.

by Anonymousreply 1011/02/2013

One day. On the second day, I start to lose it. I would't do well in solitary confinement.

by Anonymousreply 1211/03/2013

I thought people who live alone get accustomed to being alone.

Do those of you who have almost zero ability to be alone for more than a day or so live alone?

I like living alone - but I must have a TV and a computer.

by Anonymousreply 1411/03/2013

I'm unemployed at the moment, so I pretty much go out for essentials b/c I don't have a lot to spend. With internet interaction, I can go abt a week. Past that I start to go a little stir crazy and depression really sets in.

It makes me feel really sorry for old people with little money.

by Anonymousreply 1511/03/2013

Three days

by Anonymousreply 1611/03/2013

I already have depression, so I find people just exhausting and annoying.

by Anonymousreply 1711/03/2013

OP, you've asked this question on DL on a Saturday night, so I imagine there will be considerable competition for the title of Biggest Antisocial Loser. I would assume the final winner will have gone for a year or so without social contact aside from cats and possibly the authorities knocking at their door to find out if they've died.

by Anonymousreply 1811/03/2013

Smiling at the clerk at the drugstore or giving a waiter my order is enough social interaction to last me. In fact, when someone at a restaurant makes a point of calling me a regular, I usually abandon that restaurant.

by Anonymousreply 1911/03/2013

About 5 years ago I started to say something simple to a clerk in a store and it came out as a CROAK!

I realized I hadn't actually spoken aloud in a week. It was all just computer, sending files, texts, and emails.

That was a wake up call. I mean I'm an introvert, but not an Ed Gein introvert! That's the longest I've gone. It made me become much more vocal, and dare I say it, FRIENDLY!

Some of it was based on fear because I'd been bullied in HS. But I realized no one was paying that much attention to me, that I wasn't the focus of other people's attention as much as I'd been led to believe. Frankly I wasn't that unusual.

In the real world people aren't actually lining up to criticize everything you do. Most people actually have better things to think about than you. They have their own lives and you don't even register!

WOW! That actually was a real epiphany to me!

So believe it or not, it's not all about you.

by Anonymousreply 2011/03/2013

I go through phases like that. I'm one now because I don't feel good because I busted a few ribs two weeks ago. I don't answer the phone, don't check emails, don't go to Facebook.

When I'm feeling good, I plan dinner parties and outings with friends. And then wonder, why did I do that? I get too enthusiastic when I'm feeling ok. I should be a hermit or shut in.

by Anonymousreply 2111/03/2013

I absolutely love seeing or speaking with my ten good friends, mom, and sisters. The rest of the world? Couldn't care less. I'm not shy or socially awkward. I'm great at a party. Good at a bar. I just hate being at anything like that.

by Anonymousreply 2211/03/2013

Goodness, I NEVER leave the bubble in my head.

by Anonymousreply 2311/03/2013

I was ill for a quarter year and house bound for much of that, and coped fine. There are people I contact each day through email or IM, but can go days without seeing others quite happily, and don't really invite people into my home that often.

My work has a lot of interaction with others, and I get touched a lot in the course of my duties, so it is nice to just shut the door on that at the end of the day or week and be by myself.

by Anonymousreply 2411/03/2013

I've only recently come to embrace my inner introvert. It is not only accepting that I really prefer my own company and the company of a few, close friends; but, more importantly, that us "innies" experience the world differently and have a very rich internal life.

Give me a cabin in the woods, art supplies, good novels and medical books, and an internet connection, enough food and water and I could go a few weeks without social contact...and proud of it.

by Anonymousreply 2511/03/2013

I could go for several weeks as long as I have my books and computer. Also I live with a cat so she makes things fun. I find interaction with people to be far too stimulating. I'm a classic introvert, my challenge is how to get more time to recoup rather than social time.

by Anonymousreply 2611/03/2013

Longer than a day, but probably no more than three days. By the nature of my work, I have people lining up for a "moment" of my time from start of finish of my day. I often feel like the Brady Bunch when one stops, the line of Brady kids crash behind the leader. I appreciate having a husband that understands that when I get home.

by Anonymousreply 2711/03/2013

For instance there was one super friendly waiter that I used to give big tips to (he was cute). He apparently misunderstood my primarily sexual interest for wink-wink conspiracy so he started giving me desserts without adding them to the bill. The first time he did it, I didn't have a problem, but when it happened twice more I realized he was constructing a scam in the billing to justify my overtipping, to participate in it as it were, so I stopped going to that restaurant altogether.

by Anonymousreply 2811/03/2013

Does it count if I come to Datalounge but I'm an unsociable asshole?

by Anonymousreply 2911/03/2013

We get Wed-Fri off for Thanksgiving, so that plus the weekend means that I won't interact with anyone but a waiter, order-taker/clerk, or maybe a bartender for five straight days.

I hate holidays.

by Anonymousreply 3011/16/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!