Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Anne Hathaway Gives ‘Hathahaters’ More Reasons to Dislike Her

Anne Hathaway may have won the best in her category at the Academy Awards, but that has proven just not good enough when it comes to her less-than-adoring fans. The straight-laced star has come under tremendous media scrutiny as of late, but not for the typical headline-making antics -- she’s not rubbing foam fingers anywhere near down there or (gasp) wearing nipple pasties. But the snark has simply been for her longer than average acceptance speeches and apparent overall annoying demeanor.

In essence, her on-screen charm has not translated off screen -- and an email obtained by In Touch about the actresses supposed diva demands at a recent Hollywood event isn’t going to do her any favors among her “Hathahaters.”

The 30-year-old actress played host at the Pink Party for cancer research on Oct. 19 in Los Angeles and her team went to great lengths to make sure the A-lister wasn’t bothered by pestering fans.

The alleged email to the event staff reads:

"PLEASE PLEASE

Do not take photos of ask for an autograph from anne hathaway. Her team is starting to getting really concerned today. Please make sure none of you or your guests approach her. I know in the past our hosts have mingled in the party, but each person is different and We are trying to respect her space.

No bloggers!!!!! Please!!!! cannot talk to her, nothing please. (forward team please help me!) Most of our celebs are happy to talk and share why cancer research is important to them so there will be other opportunities at the event.

I will truly need all of your help!!!

If you are sitting next to her in the front row, please make sure no one goes into to lounge :)"

After this, we’re just waiting for The Huffington Post to do a “How Annoying Is Anne Hathaway: A Scientific Inquiry" Part 2.

by Anonymousreply 2711/03/2013

The word is "straitlaced," not straight-laced, Celebuzz.

by Anonymousreply 211/02/2013

at least they spelled my name right.

by Anonymousreply 311/02/2013

None of this came out of Anne Hathaway's mouth. You'd be surprised how much shit comes from "handlers" who treat their clients like they are royalty and seriously expect you to so so too.

by Anonymousreply 411/02/2013

wow r5 you are profound and self-congratulatory

by Anonymousreply 611/02/2013

r4 - The handlers do it so the celebs don't have to. It doesn't mean the celeb doesn't expect it. If they did not like it, they would fire the handler.

by Anonymousreply 711/02/2013

Brad and Angelina don't even employ publicists anymore, they do their own.

by Anonymousreply 811/02/2013

Who would want to talk to AnnE Hathaway about anything?

Surely there are better, more entertaining conversational options at even the most pedestrian event.

by Anonymousreply 911/02/2013

[quote]The handlers do it so the celebs don't have to. It doesn't mean the celeb doesn't expect it. If they did not like it, they would fire the handler.

And many celebs have no idea stuff like this happens. The whole "don't look them in eye" bullshit was all handler stuff.

by Anonymousreply 1011/03/2013

Does Chelsea Handler have handlers?

by Anonymousreply 1111/03/2013

[quote]The whole "don't look them in eye" bullshit was all handler stuff.

The poor celebs must think no one likes them.

by Anonymousreply 1211/03/2013

[quote]The word is "straitlaced," not straight-laced, Celebuzz.

Actually R2, it IS "straight laced", not "straitlaced". This is what happens when people with no sense of clothing history try to make sense of a word that evolved from clothing.

It comes from the habit of lacing clothing so that the laces formed straight, horizontal bars like the rungs of a ladder, rather than the cross lacing that most of us are familiar with. Some very fashion conscious, but conservative men still lace their shoes in this manner.

"Straitlacing" implies a notion of "uptight" that simply did not exist in the 1500s.

by Anonymousreply 1311/03/2013

R13 No. Ever heard of a straitjacket? Try doing a little research before you post.

by Anonymousreply 1411/03/2013

[quote]"Strait" came into the English language from the Latin verb "stringere," which means "to strain; draw tight." Other "strait" words we're familiar with, such as Straits of Gibraltar and strait-jacket, likewise employ its narrowing or restraining elements. "Strait-laced" was first spotted in 1430, and while at that time it did have to do with the tightness of corsets, by the 1540s the term had expanded to encompass things that were narrow in range or scope or people that were uncommunicative (i.e., kept a great deal of themselves in). By the 1550s, it was used to describe folks who were excessively rigid or scrupulous in matters of conduct.

by Anonymousreply 1511/03/2013

R14, The straightjacket is indeed a "straight" jacket. It is an entirely different issue. Stupid people such as yourself that conflate unrelated things is one of the reasons that we have this confusion.

R15, Snopes is wrong in this case. Before the industrial revolution, nearly every garment involved some sort of lacing. It was not specific to corsets or more properly in the 1400-1500s, "stays" or a "pair of bodies". Quite frankly, the fact that Snopes refers to "stays" as "corsets" is reason enough to dismiss the entry. Corset is an 18th century word.

by Anonymousreply 1611/03/2013

The word is sometimes also spelled "straightjacket," but the origin is clearly "strait" (confined) and not "straight" (without curve).

Stupid people don't concern themselves with whether it's straitjacket or straightjacket. However, they do sometimes rush in to correct people who are accurate and occasionally double down on their error, adding insult.

[quote]. Quite frankly, the fact that Snopes refers to "stays" as "corsets" is reason enough to dismiss the entry. Corset is an 18th century word.

And Snopes is written in the 21st century, with access to both terms.

by Anonymousreply 1711/03/2013

How is AnnE's marriage holding up?

by Anonymousreply 1811/03/2013

It seems to be fine at the moment r18. The email OP posted is atrocious, are publicists and their help really that illiterate? I'm inclined to believe its fake or doctored.

What a non-story, not a big AnnE fan but the piling on has gotten ridiculous; did she turn down Harvey W recently or something? Ever since she won the Oscar the knives have been out. Its not as if she's Goop or Julia Whoreberts or someone truly evil.

by Anonymousreply 1911/03/2013

AnnE was nominated for an Oscar for Rachel Getting Married, and I don't remember all this kind of nastiness and drama. In fact I don't think there was any. I believe a lot of this may be orchestrated by some disgruntle former employee or contractor.

by Anonymousreply 2011/03/2013

R11. Chelsea Handler is a handler.

by Anonymousreply 2111/03/2013

What bothers me is that she was up the very next morning speaking at the brunch at the Bev Hilton for the LGBT Victory fund. She's been a supporter of LGBT causes long before it was fashionable and supports other causes, including cancer fundraising, and this is the thanks she gets. Shit-piling on her due to a barely readable email from by someone's nervous intern to an advance team.

by Anonymousreply 2211/03/2013

[quote]She's been a supporter of LGBT causes long before it was fashionable...

Please cite the date when it became fashionable.

by Anonymousreply 2311/03/2013

[quote]Please cite the date when it became fashionable.

For many celebrities and the general public "fashionable" would be the past few years, especially since the bigger push and wider mainstream embracing of gay marriage began, I'd say at least since Obama was elected ('08).

That's not to say other celebs weren't supportive or involved earlier - many were, strongly - but the general bandwagon support didn't get revved up until the late 00s. I know Anne and her family were publicly vocal from the beginning of her career, at least the portion she's been famous, which dates back more than a decade.

by Anonymousreply 2411/03/2013

R24 - You're off by at least a decade.

by Anonymousreply 2511/03/2013

I somewhat agree with R4. Celeb handlers act like they are curing cancer. I don't think celebs usually realize this because the handlers are the two-faced types who can keep it from them.

by Anonymousreply 2611/03/2013

This isn’t about celebrity lgbt support (which I would concur didn’t gain major groundswell until recently) it’s about crazily piling on someone unreasonably esp when there are worthier targets.

It was fun and even deserved when she was desperately Oscar trolling last year, but its old schtick by now and there’s no reason, she just did two worthy fundraising events where by all accounts she behaved generously and is getting shit for it. Someone’s behaving like a cunt behind the scenes and it’s not AnnE.

by Anonymousreply 2711/03/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!