Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What have I done to my heart?

I've been obese, over 300 pounds, for about 20 years. Even if I lost 150 pounds, wouldn't my heart remain enlarged and messed up?

by Anonymousreply 811/02/2013

Stop looking for excuses not to lose 150 lbs. You'll feel great and your heart will be relieved. Just walk a lot, stop drinking any calories (drink water and black coffee or tea without any bullshit added), and avoid white food (bread, rice, bullshit muffins). Good luck!

by Anonymousreply 111/02/2013

In January of this year I was 335. I'm 250 now, and heading for 170. I don't know if I did any permanent damage to my heart, but my doctor scared me by sending me to a "pre-diabetes" class. Since losing the weight, I have WAY more energy and all of my tests (blood, urine, blood pressure) have improved.

by Anonymousreply 211/02/2013

Organs heal and regenerate if given the chance.

Currently you're putting extra strain on it. But with healthy eating and (built-up slowly) exercise regime - you can give your heart the best chance to heal.

Much the way that smokers can after cessation - it may take years - but much of the damage can be reversed.

Either way, you and your heart will only be healthier with gradual and safe weight loss - so recognize you're worth giving yourself every chance of a long and happy life.

You can do this. It won't be overnight. But everyday you can be a little healthier, more active and slimmer than you were before. The only way is up. So believe in yourself and know many people have gone before you. And when you do get nearer your ultimate goals, you'll be a heck of a lot healthier than many 'naturally thin' folk who eat crap and don't do any physical activity.

Totally worth it. As are you. I'm a regular gym goer who has to be careful because I can inhale calories just by walking past cake - so I speak as someone who fights the good fight.

P.S. ignore the inevitable haters who reply to this thinking an anonymous cheap crack is a better use of their day then giving someone a little encouragement.

by Anonymousreply 311/02/2013

Thanks, R3. It's hard and I get so tired.

by Anonymousreply 411/02/2013

Losing 150 pounds could save your life basically. At 300 pounds you're a heart attack or stroke waiting to happen. And that stoke may not kill you, it may just paralyse your right side or blind you in one eye. At 300 pounds you probably have diabetes and the complications associated with unmanaged diabetes are horrible. Just start eating meat, fruit, veggies in place of pasta, white bread and rice.Cut out sugary drinks and only allow yourself takeaway once a week. And start with walking 30 mins of walking 3 times a week. You don't have to go on some crazy diet or start exercising like mad, just replace some crap with healthier food.

by Anonymousreply 511/02/2013

I know it's hard. But it will get easier. You'll find yourself not too long dim now bounding up a flight of stairs and realize you aren't out of breath... That you'll wake up in the morning and not still feel tired because you've had a better night's sleep... That you'll look at a big, greasy burger or donut and think 'ew' as your tastes will have changed.

You will also feel fan-fricking-tastic for having achieved something remarkable. For having taken on an addiction and beaten it.

Seriously, honey, you'll start feeling the difference with each 10lbs that comes off. Be brave. Be realistic. Be the little engine that could. And if you fall off the wagon, get right back on.

You've got an amazing life to lead ahead of you - own it and live it.

And I want to see you post a new 'I've lost my first stone on my weight loss journey' thread when you hit that goal.

I'll look out for it and give you a virtual hug. X

by Anonymousreply 611/02/2013

*from* not *dim*

With thanks to Autocorrect.

by Anonymousreply 711/02/2013

The title of this thread sounds like it could be a hit for Celine!

by Anonymousreply 811/02/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!