Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

THEATRE GOSSIP #125: because "their" and "there are not the same

I am not the original Theatre Gossip OP who composes the introductory posts asking delicious rhetorical questions.

I am merely an "oh, dear" troll who can't bear that the #125 I searched for is "Why is their no Theater Gossip #125 thread."

Please be a dear, traditional OP and either do your magic below or create an real #125 when you have the time.

A DAY IN HOLLYWOOD/A NIGHT IN THE UKRAINE!

by Anonymousreply 60111/16/2013

God dammit. I forgot the close quotes. Kill me now.

by Anonymousreply 111/02/2013

This'll do fine, OP.

ME AND JULIET! CHARLIE AND ALGERNON! LOVEMUSIK!

by Anonymousreply 211/02/2013

Was there some talk recently about a revival of "On the Twentieth Century"? I could go for that ("City of Angels" is also overdue.)

by Anonymousreply 311/02/2013

I applaud the simplicity of the OP.

by Anonymousreply 411/02/2013

[quote] Was there some talk recently about a revival of "On the Twentieth Century"? I could go for that

Yes, supposedly. I know Chenoweth is champing at the bit to play Lily Garland.

by Anonymousreply 511/02/2013

Chenoweth even got a new face - I mean - haircut to ready herself for the role.

by Anonymousreply 611/02/2013

Kristin needs bangs to cover her shiny overly botoxed and enormous forehead. Her new haircut looks great though and she is a great singer and comedienne.

by Anonymousreply 711/02/2013

[quote]God dammit. I forgot the close quotes. Kill me now.

Justice

by Anonymousreply 811/02/2013

Yeah but you made the mistake in your headline. It was unbearable to think of suffering through 600 posts with that embarrassing misspelling. Thank goodness someone took it upon them to fix it.

by Anonymousreply 911/02/2013

How much longer till Bobby Steggart is announced for his old role in the McNally play?

by Anonymousreply 1011/02/2013

I thought the revival of ON THE 20TH CENTURY was dead and buried? If not, they'd better hurry. Cheno is already ten years older than Kahn and fifteen years older than Kaye when they played it.

by Anonymousreply 1111/02/2013

Kristin needs to eat a steak and a baked potato

by Anonymousreply 1211/02/2013

I know he might have trouble singing it, but I'd love to see Kevin Kline chewing the scenery as Oscar Jaffe. I know Hugh Jackman did the reading, but Kline is the real deal ham bone required.

Hugh would have been a great Bruce a few years ago.

Is there a scheduling conflict that would prevent Joe Manganiello from playing Bruce?

by Anonymousreply 1311/02/2013

Kline has turned down several opportunities to play Ben in FOLLIES. He wouldn't accept a tougher sing like 20th Century.

by Anonymousreply 1411/02/2013

Why did the Zorba revival with Antonio Banderas and "Cheets" Rivera fall apart? Two big stars, under-appreciated score, dependable producers....what happened?

by Anonymousreply 1511/02/2013

Kevin's waiting for them to do the stage version of "De-Lovely."

by Anonymousreply 1611/02/2013

Reviews will be out for Julie Taymor's MIDSUMMER at Theatre For A New Audience later tonight. It's fabulous and I predict great reviews.

by Anonymousreply 1711/02/2013

If only Oscar were a tenor instead of a baritone Nathan Lane could do it.

by Anonymousreply 1811/02/2013

Zorba has some great songs and is a huge snore to watch

by Anonymousreply 1911/02/2013

Watch my hands tremble

Hear my voice quicken,

He and I on this train,

Together.

by Anonymousreply 2011/02/2013

Jan Maxwell and Bobby Steggert in a Broadway stage version of The Fan with trunk songs by Marvin Hamlisch. You read it here first.

by Anonymousreply 2111/02/2013

[quote]Kristin needs to eat a steak and a baked potato

He favorite food is Chick-fil-A. She tweeted so much about it, I un-followed her.

by Anonymousreply 2211/02/2013

OP and R2, I LOVE BOTH OF YOU!!!

xox

by Anonymousreply 2311/02/2013

This thread is better:

by Anonymousreply 2411/02/2013

You lie, r26. This thread is already much livelier than the lame other one

by Anonymousreply 2511/02/2013

I saw a regional theater production of "Legally Blonde" last night. I'd previously only seen it at a small community theater (and the MTV telecast.) Why wasn't it a bigger hit on Broadway? It ran almost twice as long in London as it did in NY (and won several Oliviers.) It really is a lot of fun-- even though I haven't seen them, I'm willing to bet it's a lot better than "Memphis" or "Once."

by Anonymousreply 2611/02/2013

Because MTV gave it away free.

by Anonymousreply 2711/02/2013

UK DLers, any gossip from the National Theatre's 50th anniversary gala tonight? I heard Meryl Streep was there. Did she end up leaving with the cast of The History Boys in order to indulge her carnal desires?

by Anonymousreply 2811/02/2013

R26- I'm with you. I was surprised how much I enjoyed Legally Blonde... And I really like the London cast album with Oliver winner Sheridan Smith. Fun show, nothing too serious but fun.

by Anonymousreply 2911/02/2013

I like Legally Blonde, too. I think Sheridam Smith is much better than Laura Bell Blandly. LBB's undernourished performance is probably why it didn't run longer.

by Anonymousreply 3011/03/2013

plus Laura Bell Bundy was like 43 when she played the college girl role

by Anonymousreply 3111/03/2013

Apparently Megan Hilty got married in Las Vegas yesterday

"It's official! "I married the love if my life tonight at The Venetian Chapel in Las Vegas!!!!!""

by Anonymousreply 3211/03/2013

poor Megan, her husband has gay face for days

by Anonymousreply 3311/03/2013

What role did Meggy's husband play on J and H? Weird that she just got married while Katty McPhee is cheating on hers.

by Anonymousreply 3411/03/2013

Nathan is more of a Letitia Primrose than an Oscar Jaffe.

The part was a man in the film after all.

by Anonymousreply 3511/03/2013

So, who is her husband?

by Anonymousreply 3611/03/2013

Megan Hilty is off the market.

The Sean Saves the World star married boyfriend Brian Gallagher at the Venetian Chapel in Las Vegas Saturday night.

"We were so excited to be married that we skipped the engagement altogether!" Hilty told People.com

She also took to Twitter to share the news.

The former Smash star, 32, met Gallagher, 33, at a fitness class in New York while both were performing on Broadway, People reports.

by Anonymousreply 3711/03/2013

The Rolf in THE SOUND OF MUSIC is an unknown just out of one of those prestigious acting schools.

by Anonymousreply 3811/03/2013

Nice r38. Tell him to let me know how that works out.

by Anonymousreply 3911/03/2013

Why do the ads for S of M say "we're now in production"? I know it will need to rehearse, but for six weeks?

by Anonymousreply 4011/03/2013

So is Hilty's new husband the guy Steve Kazee had the nervous breakdown over?

by Anonymousreply 4111/03/2013

R40 They've been in rehearsals (Broadway rehearsal hall) for about three weeks. A friend is in the chorus and is playing three roles plus understudying one of the nuns... they are doing it just like a stage musical except for commercial breaks and being on TV. The actual performance will be done in a studio.

by Anonymousreply 4211/03/2013

What I find insane is that every single woman, in the ensemble and the rest of the principals besides Ms. Underwood, would be more appropriate in the role than she.

by Anonymousreply 4311/03/2013

Heck, even Bernadette at her advanced age would have been a better Maria. And she could have cried all the songs!

by Anonymousreply 4411/03/2013

The Sound of Music is being broadcast from enormous soundstages out on Long Island, the same ones used for the movies Salt and the upcoming The Amazing Spiderman 2. For the party, wedding and concert scenes they're going to fill it up with a few hundred extras. It will apparently look quite spectacular. I'm assuming they'll use green screen CGI for the Alps scenes. It needs a LOT of rehearsal to get the technical aspects right.

by Anonymousreply 4511/03/2013

And, this is a musical!

Why R40 thinks a live broadcast would need less rehearsal than a Broadway musical production is beyond me.

by Anonymousreply 4611/03/2013

Will Carrie be wearing my trademark towel-dispenser pinafore?

by Anonymousreply 4711/03/2013

R40, they are also recording the soundtrack album at this time too.

by Anonymousreply 4811/03/2013

R48, it should be clarified that what they're recording is apparently a "companion" CD to the TV show. They will supposedly all be singing live in the actual broadcast.

by Anonymousreply 4911/03/2013

That's why I said soundtrack ALBUM, denoting product that will be a released recording rather than saying that they were recording playback for the telecast.

by Anonymousreply 5011/03/2013

R40, the album will not be a soundtrack (do you know what that means?) recording, it will be a cast recording (made in a recording studio) of the score.

by Anonymousreply 5111/03/2013

They have an awful lot of former Maria's in the cast (Benanti, Elena Shaddow, Ashley Brown). Which one will go on if Carrie can't do it?

by Anonymousreply 5211/03/2013

Yes I know what a soundtrack is. But as it's not a REAL Broadway show, it's not really a "cast album."

by Anonymousreply 5311/03/2013

R52 Joe Manganiello wanted to, but his busy schedule prevented it.

by Anonymousreply 5411/03/2013

[quote]What I find insane is that every single woman, in the ensemble and the rest of the principals besides Ms. Underwood, would be more appropriate in the role than she.

Why? You haven't even seen her. Stop being a theater snob. Many singers have gone on to give great performances in stage shows.

by Anonymousreply 5511/03/2013

I'm bored bored bored bored bored Poopy-doopie-do I'm b - o - r - e - d BORED.

by Anonymousreply 5711/03/2013

Go piss up a rope R56

by Anonymousreply 5811/03/2013

Soundtracks aren't always soundtracks either. Sometimes they're completely different takes to the movie songs.

by Anonymousreply 5911/03/2013

If only the usual person, in his/her extraordinarily clever way, had begun this post, we might not be ready to throw in the towel before 60 replies...

by Anonymousreply 6011/03/2013

Of course it is a cast album.

by Anonymousreply 6111/03/2013

Ashley Brown from what I have been told with Elena Shaddow the second understudy, R52. And I, one of the elder theatre queens here made the mistake of calling the studio cast album a soundtrack album.... in all my years of 'theatre queendom' I have never done that before.

by Anonymousreply 6211/03/2013

Well, seeing that it is a live musical, it is a cast album, but being that it will be taped, it is also a soundtrack. It's two, two albums in one! Now move on.

by Anonymousreply 6311/03/2013

The album is not being made from a tape of the broadcast; it is being made ahead of time in a recording studio. It will not be a soundtrack.

by Anonymousreply 6411/03/2013

Sony Masterworks proudly releases the companion soundtrack to NBC's live broadcast of "The Sound of Music," based on the classic stage musical. The three-hour live production, starring six-time Grammy Award winner Carrie Underwood as Maria von Trapp, will air December 5. The cast also includes Audra McDonald ("Private Practice"), who has won five Tony Awards and two Grammys, as Mother Abbess; Stephen Moyer ("True Blood"), who will play Capt. Georg von Trapp; Tony Award winner Christian Borle ("Smash"), who will portray von Trapp family friend Max Detweiler; and Tony winner Laura Benanti ("Go On"), who will portray Elsa Schrader, the captain s onetime fiancee.

"The Sound of Music" Music From the NBC Television Event features studio recordings of all the musical numbers performed in the live broadcast, including Rodgers and Hammerstein favorites "The Sound of Music," "My Favorite Things," 'Do-Re-Mi," "Sixteen Going on Seventeen" and "Climb Ev'ry Mountain," among others.

"The Sound of Music," set in the 1930's before and during "Anschluss" when the Nazi's annexed Austria, is based on the romantic true story of Maria von Trapp, an aspiring nun who leaves the abbey to become a governess for the widower Capt. von Trapp's seven children. She soon finds herself falling in love with her employer and questioning her religious calling. It premiered on Broadway in 1959 where it broke box-office records and won the Tony Award for best musical. The 1965 film adaptation won the Oscar for best picture.

by Anonymousreply 6511/03/2013

Laura B. is a little too old to be covering the role of Maria

by Anonymousreply 6611/03/2013

Just because the Sony press release erroneously calls the album a soundtrack doesn't mean that it is.

by Anonymousreply 6711/03/2013

Out of the three former Marias, Laura B is the one I'd want to see.

by Anonymousreply 6811/03/2013

No, I agree with you R67... it's interesting how many do refer to cast albums as soundtracks. Stores would often file them in bins labeled 'soundtracks.'

by Anonymousreply 6911/03/2013

And look what happened to those stores, R69. ;)

by Anonymousreply 7111/03/2013

I saw Ashley Brown In TSOM at the Muny but it wasn't very good.. I blame Paul Blake as it was produced during his time there. Horrible set design, all flatsl everything was painted blue.. Brown was good but she was let down by the direction and production. Linda Mugleston was Mother Abbess and she is in the NBC production. I wonder if she might be the u/s for Audra Ann?

by Anonymousreply 7211/03/2013

R71- Yup... I order everything off amazon or kritzerland these days.

by Anonymousreply 7311/03/2013

This is the most amazing thing I've ever seen. It's a bravura performance.

by Anonymousreply 7411/03/2013

r74

This a THEATRE thread.

by Anonymousreply 7511/03/2013

R53 Albums are made of shows that never play Broadway. "Cast" means the performers in the show, not its location, so there are cast recordings of Off-Broadway musicals and even some of regional productions.

by Anonymousreply 7611/03/2013

R70, don't know who you are talking about or how credible he is, but he obviously didn't see "Scandalous" last year.

by Anonymousreply 7711/03/2013

Somebody please call Elena Roger back from BA to stand by for Carrie Underwood. Dynamite lady!

by Anonymousreply 7811/03/2013

"Which one will go on if Carrie can't do it?"

AUDRA!!!

by Anonymousreply 7911/03/2013

Are you related to Julie Klausner, Terri?

by Anonymousreply 8011/03/2013

Elena Shaddow was a GREAT Maria in a nice production at Paper Mill last year.

by Anonymousreply 8111/03/2013

Ashely Brown.

Can.

Not.

Act.

by Anonymousreply 8211/03/2013

But

I

Can

Smile!

by Anonymousreply 8311/03/2013

Will the sets for The Sound of Music look like the show is produced in a theater? It doesn't sound that way if there will be dozens of extras at the wedding.

But I thought the whole point of this program was to restore The Sound of Music back to its theatrical roots...not to recreate the look of the film.

by Anonymousreply 8411/03/2013

R82

Can

Not

Spell

Ashley

by Anonymousreply 8511/03/2013

Ashley Brown could star in The Joan Sutherland Story.

by Anonymousreply 8611/03/2013

R74

No, THIS is a bravura performance. The one you posted is some old sheep bleating.

by Anonymousreply 8711/03/2013

Barbara Cook, in a pic from the Sheldon ah arnica event last week, looked noticeably thinner in the face (it wasn't a full length pic. Has she finally started to take off some wait? She also looks amazing, age-wise - like she's in her 60s, rather than her mid-80s. I guess fat don't crack.

by Anonymousreply 8811/04/2013

Kevin Kline in "Last Vegas: The Musical".

by Anonymousreply 8911/04/2013

Return it to its theatrical roots doesn't necessarily mean performed in a theatre. I think the point was to present the original version of the show, which is what's licensed. And that's what they're doing, excepting the substitution of the movie's "Something Good" for the awful "An Ordinary Couple."

by Anonymousreply 9011/04/2013

I will not be able to watch The Sound Of Music without thinking of the comment someone here made in another thread about Carrie Underwood looking more like someone who wandered over from ttailgate party than an Austrian Convent.

by Anonymousreply 9111/04/2013

...not planning on watching it. Maybe I'll go see a show that night.

by Anonymousreply 9211/04/2013

Can we get a definitive list of the NY Theatre community well endowed actors club?

As well as any supporting documentation in the form of pix?

by Anonymousreply 9311/04/2013

do you really need a 2nd understudy for 1 performance?

by Anonymousreply 9411/04/2013

Peter Marks HATED the Sister Act tour in DC. Can't say I don't agree with everything he wrote. What a terrible, plodding show. There are a few scenes that come alive but the rest is very pedestrian. I heard that the show was full of understudies over the weekend. Post review blues? The tour does feature DL and Chicago fave Hollis Resnik as the Mother Superior!

by Anonymousreply 9511/04/2013

[quote] DL fave Hollis Resnik

Since when?

by Anonymousreply 9611/04/2013

Laura B was distinctly cold and completely uncharming in the revival on Broadway. She is a terrible Maria.

by Anonymousreply 9711/04/2013

She was a kid, then. And her love interest was 109.

by Anonymousreply 9811/04/2013

Oh dear, if Megan Hilty is calling the new husband "the love of my life" just who is looking after poor Steve?

I worry for that boy.

by Anonymousreply 9911/04/2013

r93, according to the last thread: alleged big schlongs on the following:

[quote]I have heard David Cromer is huge and cut and I don't know how big it is but I heard John Benjamin Hickey has a nice wand. Didn't someone add Tony Goldwyn to the club after his second stage nude scene?

by Anonymousreply 10011/04/2013

Someone needs to get Steve a production of HAMLET and a "suitable" Gertrude.

by Anonymousreply 10111/04/2013

and....

[quote]James Riordan belongs to the same club that Tyler Maynard, Roger Bart, Norm Lewis et al belong to.

And...

[quote]despite being Irish John Gallagher Jr. has a nice dick

by Anonymousreply 10211/04/2013

I'm surprised Tyler Maynard's cock pics haven't leaked. Covering his tracks doesn't seem to be a strong suit...

by Anonymousreply 10311/04/2013

[quote] despite being Irish

Are the Irish thought to have small penises? That hasn't been my experience.

by Anonymousreply 10411/04/2013

r104, The "Irish Curse" refers to impotence from drinking but it is often incorrectly assumed to be cock size.

Tell Liam Nesson who purportedly has the biggest dick in Hollywood about the Irish Curse..

Gallagher and Riordan are both Irish names btw.

by Anonymousreply 10511/04/2013

r97 - she is too brittle to be an effective Maria - but she's quite funny and watchable - and there's that voice.

by Anonymousreply 10611/04/2013

I saw Sister Act at the KC this weekend and the undertudies were in small roles. All the leads were in. Resnick who can be a variable performer was quite good. But the reason to see the show is Ta'rea Campbell who is superb. She is funny, sings well and has loads of charisma. She has a lighter touch than Patina Miller so there was charm to the show. Chester Gregory was great too. Is he gay? It's not a great show and could be much better but it was not nearly as bad as Marks who overpraised Next to Normal and Glory Days said it was in the Post. Lots of people in the audience said after the show that they were suprised that Marks gave it such a harsh review.

by Anonymousreply 10711/04/2013

"Oh dear, if Megan Hilty is calling the new husband "the love of my life" just who is looking after poor Steve?"

Cheyenne Jackson has been posting pic after pic of Jason Landau on Instagram, hailing him as his "love".

by Anonymousreply 10811/04/2013

[quote]She has a lighter touch than Patina Miller

So does Godzilla.

by Anonymousreply 10911/04/2013

[quote]Barbara Cook, in a pic from the Sheldon ah arnica event last week

Who knew she was an herbalist.

by Anonymousreply 11011/04/2013

Couldn't you post he Cook pic?

by Anonymousreply 11111/04/2013

Hey, gays. What does "stage whisper" mean?

Thanks, y'all!

by Anonymousreply 11211/04/2013

A stage whisper is where someone affects a whispering sound but can be heard quite clearly by an audience.

by Anonymousreply 11311/04/2013

I wanna see the Cromer peen!

by Anonymousreply 11411/04/2013

R114. Many people already have.

by Anonymousreply 11511/04/2013

Does HONEYMOON have a theatre yet?

by Anonymousreply 11611/04/2013

r102 more information on the John Gallagher Jr. cock please.

btw, since this is a gossip board, I heard from someone peripheral to the production that the cast of the Broadway production of Jerusalem was none too friendly to John Gallagher Jr.

by Anonymousreply 11711/04/2013

Has anyone seen Beth Henley's The Jacksonian at The New Group?

What is it about? From the photos posted today on playbill.com, I can't tell if it's a comedy or a drama or in a period or contemporary.

by Anonymousreply 11811/04/2013

Ever since his Tony, JGJ has been looking for a star-making role that'll get him working with Scorcese etc. He was probably pissed that Jerusalem was the Mark Rylance show.

by Anonymousreply 11911/04/2013

Ironically of the three Spring Awakening stars he won the Tony and his career has been the most stagnant.

by Anonymousreply 12011/04/2013

barbara cook has a cock pic?

by Anonymousreply 12111/04/2013

Yes R121! Here she is holding her cock

by Anonymousreply 12211/04/2013

R117. Does the fact that the Jerusalem company didn't seem too fond of Gallagher have anything to do with his cock? That isn't quite clear. Pix would clear everything up. Calling Michael Arden!!!

by Anonymousreply 12311/04/2013

I miss SMASH. And dishing about it on DL.

There. I've said it.

by Anonymousreply 12411/04/2013

JGJ is on Aarom Sorkin's show. He's doing great.

Who is Resnick?

A second understudy is needed in case their both sick.

by Anonymousreply 12511/04/2013

their both sick what?

by Anonymousreply 12611/04/2013

How are they explaining the "understudy" bit to Underwood? Or do all of the leads have understudies in case do an emergency at air time?

Of course, in Underwood's case, the emergency would be that she just can't pull it off.

by Anonymousreply 12711/04/2013

They're. Ugh

by Anonymousreply 12811/04/2013

[quote]How are they explaining the "understudy" bit to Underwood? Or do all of the leads have understudies in case do an emergency at air time? Of course, in Underwood's case, the emergency would be that she just can't pull it off.

Explain? You mean spending millions on a one time live TV production without the thought of something happening to a performer before air time? They'd be stupid if they didn't have back up.

by Anonymousreply 12911/04/2013

If Underwood proved to be a disaster in rehearsals, might they try for a name who's played the role before? Did Chenoweth ever play it?

by Anonymousreply 13011/04/2013

Hey gays. What does the word "study" mean? And who do I have to get "under"?

Thanks, y'all.

by Anonymousreply 13111/04/2013

Did three people upthread seriously say they like Legally Blonde? I wanted to leave at intermission, but my companion wanted to tough it out. I had a headache for three days with "Oh, my God! Oh my God it's true!!!" running through my head.

Perhaps the worst musical I've ever seen on Broadway, and I saw Cats.

by Anonymousreply 13211/04/2013

After Spring Awakening here was a planned revival of Look Homeward, Angel with John Gallagher and Blythe Danner that never happened. I think, at least partially, because of JG's "film" schedule.

by Anonymousreply 13311/04/2013

Chenoweth as Maria. Please, God, no. She's too sickly sweet and tiny to bring off the role. I've come to appreciate Kristin more these days as she approaches menopause, but Sound of Music with her would be a total disaster.

by Anonymousreply 13411/04/2013

yup

by Anonymousreply 13511/04/2013

Cheno as Maria?

Maria is supposed to be early 20's

Not Late 40's

by Anonymousreply 13611/04/2013

[quote]Maria is supposed to be early 20's

On stage you can pull anything off, not so sure about TV

by Anonymousreply 13711/04/2013

Chenoweth got a new face. She can easily pass for ... smooth.

by Anonymousreply 13811/04/2013

Sutton Foster's Wikipedia page says:

"On September 19, 2013, Foster confirmed that she is engaged. Her fiance was left unnamed."

Who is the mystery fiance? And will she be able to have a baby before it's too late?

by Anonymousreply 13911/04/2013

Sutton..always copying me

by Anonymousreply 14011/04/2013

I'm a theater snob, but I, too, loved "Legally Blonde." I know I shouldn't have liked it, but I really did. The songs were much better than I thought they'd be, and the story was really sweet and well-written. I didn't care much for the movie, so I didn't have high expectations, and I really enjoyed it. I even listened to the soundtrack several times. Perhaps I was just in a good mood the night I saw it -- or I was shocked that it wasn't terrible -- but I thought it was adorable.

by Anonymousreply 14111/04/2013

[quote] I even listened to the soundtrack several times.

Show Queen Heads! EXPLODE!

by Anonymousreply 14211/04/2013

[quote]You mean spending millions on a one time live TV production without the thought of something happening to a performer before air time? They'd be stupid if they didn't have back up.

True, but since this is television -- and if NBC is determined to only do this with Underwood -- couldn't they just postpone it at the last minute and air reruns of SVU instead? I guess the point I'm making is that it's not the same as people sitting in their seats in a Broadway theater waiting for the curtain to go up. (OTOH, the advertisers who paid top dollar for the air time would probably be pissed as hell, though.)

by Anonymousreply 14311/04/2013

More about JGJ's cock, please, and specifically on whom he uses it. Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 14411/04/2013

Also saw the Sister Act tour. It was good fun. Last saw the show in London. The rewrite in general is good, except that the jokes about the bachelors selling antiques are painful, Mother Superior gets a few too many wisecracks that are all variations of the same thing, and the "It's Good To Be a Nun" song is painfully slow and awkward.

Lots of odd scene transitions with the lights going off very suddenly at the end of a song.

by Anonymousreply 14511/04/2013

What R141 said- Cute show with some nice tunes.I'd see Legally Blonde again...

Mamma Mia? I'd kill myself first before having to endure that a second time.

by Anonymousreply 14611/04/2013

John Gallagher,jr has a nice large big cock that has brought a great deal of pleasure to men. Don't know about women.

by Anonymousreply 14711/04/2013

really r147 please expound. I think he has a girlfriend now.

by Anonymousreply 14811/04/2013

More than likely they'll film a rehearsal before the LIVE broadcast to ensure that, should something happen to Underwhazhername they're covered.

by Anonymousreply 14911/04/2013

Laura B was distinctly cold and completely uncharming in the revival on Broadway. She is a terrible Maria.

Sounds a lot like the real Maria to me. Sorry, but wasn't she kinda chilly and self serving?

by Anonymousreply 15011/04/2013

R72 Linda Mugleston was Mother Abbess and she is in the NBC production. I wonder if she might be the u/s for Audra Ann?

Watch your back, Audra

by Anonymousreply 15111/04/2013

Yes, r150, but that's not how she's written in the show. In the same way that Fanny Brice in Funny Girl is nothing like Fanny Brice.

by Anonymousreply 15211/04/2013

It's very funny that Jonthan Groff is out a proud and John Gallagher Jr is closeted and has a beard.

by Anonymousreply 15311/04/2013

JGJ is closeted?

by Anonymousreply 15411/04/2013

I don't think the real Maria was cold and uncharming when she went to work for the von Trapps. Whatever family tensions and conflicts there were as the kids grew to adulthood, I know I've read interviews with them (including after Maria's death) where they say how much they took to her and loved her when she came into the house - I think that much of the musical is true.

by Anonymousreply 15511/04/2013

Wasn't Mary Martin a cold mother?

by Anonymousreply 15611/04/2013

That's what I always thought, r156. I was always telling Benay, "That Mary Martin is one cold mother..."

by Anonymousreply 15711/04/2013

Do you really think they are preparing for the possibility that Underwood might suck terribly? Wouldn't they do it with her even if she does?

by Anonymousreply 15811/04/2013

I would imagine they'd prerecord all the songs in Sound of Music as a precaution and use them as backup if they're feeling Carrie or any of the others are not up to a truly LIVE performance.

That way they could even "sweeten" some of the sound and have the actors lip synch.

by Anonymousreply 15911/04/2013

Poor Seth Rudetsky-so desperate to be a performer, and he gets dissed by Matthew Murray in his Talking Broadway review of the amateurish "Disaster", saying that Seth is the weakest link in the show. I can only imagine how insufferable Mary Testa must be.

by Anonymousreply 16011/04/2013

Carrie can definitely sing, so I don't think there's going to be any problems with the music. And there really isn't that much acting (and audiences tend to overlook mediocre acting from people who are non-actors) so I don't think it'll be a disaster.

by Anonymousreply 16111/04/2013

"Has anyone seen Beth Henley's The Jacksonian at The New Group? What is it about? From the photos posted today on playbill.com, I can't tell if it's a comedy or a drama or in a period or contemporary."

It's a piece of shit. Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 16211/04/2013

Oh, shit. I gotta act, too, R161?

Dang.

by Anonymousreply 16311/04/2013

[quote] I can't tell if it's a comedy or a drama or in a period or contemporary."

Ugh. Sounds like The Brady Bunch.

by Anonymousreply 16411/04/2013

Has anyone here seen/discussed Natasha, Pierre and the Great Comet of 1812?

My friend loved it. I never saw it. My friend bought the cast album and made me a copy.

Holy cow. This may be the dullest, most unmusical score I've heard in recent memory. I know people seem to love this show, but the music is just... terrible.

I'm listening now and I yet to hear a single song. Just a lot of ham-fisted piano vamps and shouting. And I don't like the voices at all.

Anyone?

by Anonymousreply 16511/04/2013

Sorry, R165, I love that score. To me, it's the opposite of "dull." And I think there are several excellent voices in it, especially Lucas Steele as Anatole.

by Anonymousreply 16611/04/2013

r160 Seth needs to focus on his music and being a "radio personality" He is not good onstage.

by Anonymousreply 16711/04/2013

r37 Severe gay face. He was on Broadway for about 2 weeks in the terrible J & H revival. Guess they didn't work out very long! And he wasn't very good in a rotten show.

by Anonymousreply 16811/04/2013

Did you see the show, R166? I'm listening to it now.

Is there a particular number that you like?

by Anonymousreply 16911/04/2013

I'm shocked Megan Hilty's marriage hasn't caused another emotional breakdown on Twitter from Steve Kazee.

by Anonymousreply 17011/04/2013

[quote]Can we get a definitive list of the NY Theatre community well endowed actors club?

Isn't Michael Cerveris rumored to have a big one?

by Anonymousreply 17111/05/2013

Megan Hilty is Nielsen ratings poison. Steve probably got over here.

by Anonymousreply 17211/05/2013

R168, SEVERE. Which gym did they meet at? David Barton? Steel?

by Anonymousreply 17311/05/2013

Was Ivy Lynn supposed to be overweight?

by Anonymousreply 17411/05/2013

Why is everyone so convinced Carrie Underwood will be a mega disaster? I assume she'll sound good and be a bit bland and awkward which will only endear the majority of the audience to her more.

As for WHY, she's on the cover of several magazines at the grocery store this month. She's a star. I don't see Ashley Brown or Christianne Noll at the grocery check-out.

She'll be so much worse than Tony Winners Jason Alexander (Birdie) or Matthew Broderick (Music Man) in their TV musicals? I doubt it.

by Anonymousreply 17511/05/2013

R175 is definitely a redneck.

by Anonymousreply 17611/05/2013

Has no one mentioned Terence Mann as a member of the big cock club?

Or Jason Butler Harnar?

by Anonymousreply 17711/05/2013

r160 Matthew Murray is a particularly bitter writer- so no great surprise. Granted he usually writes well, but there's often a sour take on most things he reviews.

by Anonymousreply 17811/05/2013

The fun of Natasha and Pierre is the staging, but the opening number is very inventive, explaining the characters of the play in a way to make it less confusing for the audience. And the staging of that number in particular is cool.

by Anonymousreply 17911/05/2013

In what universe is B*R*O*A*D*W*A*Y's Charlie Williams bisexual? Did he split from Rob Ashford?

by Anonymousreply 18011/05/2013

Maria von Testa for Maria von Trapp!!! isaster won't run long. "Not since her General Cartwright..."

by Anonymousreply 18111/05/2013

I saw some selections of "Natasha" performed at an event, and this was the song that stuck with me (see link below). With just the piano accompaniment, it struck me as a lovely Americana/folk-style song (funny in a musical based on a Russian novel). It's a song I could hear someone like Bonnie Raitt or Nanci Griffith or even Emmylou Harris cover.

by Anonymousreply 18211/05/2013

I saw Natasha and adored it, but listening to the album I'm not as in love. The lyrics are really cringe worthy.

by Anonymousreply 18311/05/2013

Loved "Natasha" as an experience, but don't think I would just like listening to the show. And, no matter the cast, you couldn't pay me enough to ever sit through another Beth Henley "play".

by Anonymousreply 18411/05/2013

Charlie Williams is bisexual? Who's going to tell Radcliffe?

Williams is about as bisexual as Cherry Jones.

by Anonymousreply 18511/05/2013

R175 is absolutely right.

by Anonymousreply 18611/05/2013

this discussion of the Carrie Underwood Sound of Music is making me long for the detailed discussion of Kathryn Erbe's wig in Natural Affection.

On another note, casting here and wondering what is up with all the agency firings recently??

Any dirt on that?

by Anonymousreply 18711/05/2013

Mary Testa is a great performer. She, like Judy Kaye, is able to shine shit and make it at least palatable. I have worked with her a few times since the late 80's and she has always been a pro. Perhaps she is not to your taste, but casting people count on her. Mary is always rock solid.

by Anonymousreply 18811/05/2013

I'm by no means someone who will offer a Testament to Mary, and I used to make fun of her over-the-top performances, but she is a very nice human being.

by Anonymousreply 18911/05/2013

I saw Seth's husband's play about generations of sex abuse in a family and it was clever in spots but definitely an amature effort. Eve Plumb has excellent comic timing and should appear more often as a character woman in comedy. I'm sure Seth called in many favors to get the show produced. I wish he'd put his considerable energies and connections to work for good work, rather than promoting his family and thier community theater efforts.

by Anonymousreply 19011/05/2013

Mary is a doll and she gets HIRED TO BE OVER THE TOP.

Jeez

by Anonymousreply 19111/05/2013

Thanks, r191 and r189. I just get tired of reading hate for journeyman performers like Mary when there are such mediocre/assy TV/movie stars taking over so many roles in shows these days.

by Anonymousreply 19211/05/2013

r192

Mary Testa ain't keepin a show open.

by Anonymousreply 19311/05/2013

I've been burned by Brantley once too many times. First, MATILDA - did anyone understand a single line those kids were singing? Does anyone care?

Now, HONEYMOON IN VEGAS. Ok, it was sit-throughable, but the big number involves a group of flying Elvis impersonators, so that says it all.

The blue-hairs loved every minute.

by Anonymousreply 19411/05/2013

Bad accents is hardly a fault of the piece itself.

by Anonymousreply 19511/05/2013

"She'll be so much worse than Tony Winners Jason Alexander (Birdie) or Matthew Broderick (Music Man) in their TV musicals? I doubt it."

Is this the new standard of success for performers? That they won't be worse than others have been in other roles?

by Anonymousreply 19611/05/2013

I thought Jason Alexander was fine in the TV "Birdie," though of course the star of that production was Vanessa Williams.

Matthew Broderick made a shockingly bad Harold Hill, though.

by Anonymousreply 19711/05/2013

Matthew Broderick's misery at home didstacts him from acting

by Anonymousreply 19811/05/2013

So which facet of Maria's personality will Carrie best embody?

Will-o-the-wisp?

Flibbertigibbet?

Clown?

by Anonymousreply 19911/05/2013

Mary Testa is a lot of things, but "nice"...

by Anonymousreply 20011/05/2013

Re Mary Testa, as Marcia Lewis once said to me about her (Marcia's) casting, when we shared the stage of a very difficult new play helmed by a British theatre brat, "Well, if he wanted tasteful and understated, he should have cast Dina Merrill!"

by Anonymousreply 20111/05/2013

[quote]So which facet of Maria's personality will Carrie best embody?

Probably more Lonely Goatherd.

by Anonymousreply 20211/05/2013

FUN HOME moving to Golden in April.

by Anonymousreply 20311/05/2013

Proof that the Maryest comments don't always come from DL - from that FB page of Lost Musicals -

"We made God in Sondheim's image, and God then blessed only Sondheim."

What an insufferable twat that person is.

by Anonymousreply 20411/05/2013

[quote]Re Mary Testa, as Marcia Lewis once said..."Well, if he wanted tasteful and understated, he should have cast Dina Merrill!"

Which reminds me of the story of Betty Comden, complaining that Lea DeLaria wasn't "man-hungry" enough as Hildy in the On The Town revival. Someone mentioned "Well, she's a lesbian, you know." To which Betty replied, "Yes, I know she's a lesbian, but I thought she was also an actress."

by Anonymousreply 20511/05/2013

Give Carrie a chance. You must all forget all the queens spooging into their Playbills over Reba at the Marquis.

by Anonymousreply 20611/06/2013

Reba McIntire, country singer playing country gal Annie Oakley, was a perfect fit.

Carried Underwood, country singer playing Euro nun turned nanny, is not.

by Anonymousreply 20711/06/2013

Tony winner Billy Porter is on SVU tonight.

by Anonymousreply 20811/06/2013

[quote]Tony winner Billy Porter is on SVU tonight.

I was too peoples! No one saw??

by Anonymousreply 20911/06/2013

After Midnight a hit!

by Anonymousreply 21011/06/2013

R209 Yes, honey, your SVU appearance was mentioned in the previous thread.

by Anonymousreply 21111/06/2013

Any word on the first preview of IF/THEN in DC?

by Anonymousreply 21211/06/2013

I am looking forward to that LAW AND ORDER as well tonight.

by Anonymousreply 21311/06/2013

Thought you guys might find this interesting.

A FIRST DATE promo where Zachary Levi talks about dating. I've never seen anyone try so incredibly hard to avoid mentioning women. Lots of they running around. He listed his celebrity crush as himself, and then said his ideal woman had the face, body, and brain of himself.

I don't really see how there can be much doubt that he's family after this.

Other than that, pretty cute video. Too bad he hitched himself up to such an awful musical.

by Anonymousreply 21411/06/2013

Whether Zach Levi is gay or straight pales in comparison to his degree of self-absorption. Sorry to hear, as he seems to be charming, just too far up his own arse.

by Anonymousreply 21511/06/2013

[quote]FUN HOME moving to Golden in April.

I'm glad. It's one of my favorite theater experiences this year. I hope it can expand organically to fill the larger house...and that it grabs a few awards to get the out of towners in.

And maybe, the Westboro Baptist Church will picket.

by Anonymousreply 21611/06/2013

how about a new Broadway sex thread

by Anonymousreply 21711/06/2013

R201, You were in "When She Danced"?

by Anonymousreply 21811/06/2013

I am totally addicted to L&O SVU partly because you see NY actors every week.

Btw, Karen's episode also had Annaleigh Ashford, James Riordan and Papi Esparza [a series regular] was the center of the whole episode.

by Anonymousreply 21911/06/2013

I adore Bernadette and Wynton Marsalis is essential, but I cannot justify $200 for a reasonable orchestra seat for the Sondheim "A Bed and A Chair" show at City Center

by Anonymousreply 22011/06/2013

HEE HAW Musical to Get Staged NYC Reading in December

well thats about where Broadway is heading anyway

by Anonymousreply 22111/06/2013

Both theatre boards indicate IF/THEN from DC is a puzzler. Messy, messy book, a few interesting songs and the set is a dead replica of Next to Normal. Lotsa work to be done, it seems.

by Anonymousreply 22211/06/2013

R222 I was a Hee Haw Honey! So can I write it? I have experience!

by Anonymousreply 22411/06/2013

Hmm "Pippin" at 779k last week not selling out in basically 1,000 seat house how long til Barry starts shitting all over in and bring in a endless parade of reality tv/dancing with the stars/super models to boost the bo or maybe Patina or Matthew or Tovah are due for a "Vacation"

by Anonymousreply 22511/06/2013

Lance Bass IS PIPPIN!

by Anonymousreply 22611/06/2013

Lindsay Lohan IS the Leading Player.

by Anonymousreply 22711/06/2013

Lisa Vanderpump from Real Housewives replaces Andrea Martin

by Anonymousreply 22811/06/2013

So a "Time to Kill" has finally posted its closing notice for Nov. 17? I can't believe it lasted that long.

by Anonymousreply 22911/06/2013

L&O SVU also has Clay Aiken and Ashanti on tonight.

by Anonymousreply 23011/06/2013

The reason PIPPIN's grosses are dropping is that unlike other producers, Barry doesn't plow a lot into advertising. He let's the shows do the work.

by Anonymousreply 23111/06/2013

Wendy Williams as Leading Player....cause she has so much theater experience after "Chicago". How YOU Doin'.

by Anonymousreply 23211/06/2013

Sebastian Arcelus ISN'T Matthe McConnaughey.

by Anonymousreply 23311/06/2013

Is Orion back? That may be the reason why sales are down

by Anonymousreply 23411/06/2013

I loved After Midnight.....Reidel in his colunm today praises it and says it took in 300,000 at the box office yeasterday and proclaims it a hit. I hope it succeeds, but that is not a huge amount. If it were 3,000,000, it would be another story.

by Anonymousreply 23511/06/2013

The should bring Vivien Reed back to Broadway in AFTER MIDNIGHT

by Anonymousreply 23611/06/2013

Yes- Vivien would be superb. Too bad she isn't a bigger star. Saw her at a tribute to Jule Styne last year and she looks and sounds the same as she did 30 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 23711/06/2013

R228 Mr. Vereen is still with us.

by Anonymousreply 23811/06/2013

I hope FUN HOME transfers. It's the best musical I've seen since Billy Elliott.

by Anonymousreply 23911/06/2013

And dish on that former ad man-cum-producer of AFTER MIDNIGHT, Sandy Block?

by Anonymousreply 24011/06/2013

"Advertising costs money, press is free"

by Anonymousreply 24111/06/2013

"The reason PIPPIN's grosses are dropping is that unlike other producers, Barry doesn't plow a lot into advertising. He let's the shows do the work."

Well, then he's got magic to do.

by Anonymousreply 24211/06/2013

Kristin Chenoweth IS Berthe!

by Anonymousreply 24311/06/2013

LOL R243!

by Anonymousreply 24411/06/2013

You Really liked Billy Eliot? What a POS- except the young boys were very talented. And it was so inspiring to see the mechanism on full view in that stupid flying sequence.

by Anonymousreply 24511/06/2013

Pippin is losing ground because the ad agency cannot top the original commercial which overcame meh reviews for the show and ran 5 years. This got raves, and just like Matilda, will run about 1 1/2 years. And because Chet Walker basically stole every step from Fosse and what he didn't steal really sucked and because everyone has already seen Cirque de Soleil for less money.

by Anonymousreply 24611/06/2013

First Date closing January 5th, 2014

by Anonymousreply 24711/06/2013

So it really was the First Flop!

by Anonymousreply 24811/06/2013

Agree R246

by Anonymousreply 24911/06/2013

Ouchhh.

by Anonymousreply 25011/06/2013

A time to Kill …. A time to close.

by Anonymousreply 25111/06/2013

First Date would've run forever at New World Stages.

by Anonymousreply 25211/06/2013

Looking at the ABCs today and trying to figure out which theaters are available for spring shows.

What's booked for:

The Ethel Barrymore

The Majestic

The Richard Rodgers

The Longacre

The Palace

The Marquis

The Neil Simon

The Marquis

The Lyceum

by Anonymousreply 25311/06/2013

r219, I was there but not acting.

by Anonymousreply 25411/06/2013

[quote]Saw her at a tribute to Jule Styne last year and she looks and sounds the same as she did 30 years ago.

Do you know who does her work?

by Anonymousreply 25511/06/2013

R235. That's a joke, right? No one apart from the Pippin company and about 30 ATC idiots have a clue who Orion is. And his appearance, while stunning, isn't starry enough to cause grosses to drop...ever. That's so funny.

by Anonymousreply 25611/06/2013

I just saw Pippin, and talk about low energy. A couple of those jumps through hoops weren't done right, and Patina was HORRIBLE. The cute guy playing Pippin is losing his voice, but he still has a lovely pale torso.

Tovah as the grandmother? Well, let's just say she isn't embarrassing.

But everyone is on rote.

by Anonymousreply 25711/06/2013

Billy Porter is superb in LAW AND ORDER playing completely against type - definitely he is going to be a Guest Star Emmy nominee - maybe even Winner next year!

by Anonymousreply 25811/06/2013

I saw PIPPIN last April and the guy playing Pippin had no voice then. He just has no voice. Weak and unsupported. Extremely underwhelming.

by Anonymousreply 25911/06/2013

"A TIME TO KILL"

COURTROOM DRAMA WILL PLAY FINAL PERFORMANCE ON

NOVEMBER 17, 2013

by Anonymousreply 26011/06/2013

R247 = Nicole Fosse, bitter

by Anonymousreply 26111/06/2013

R230 already posted it r261.

by Anonymousreply 26211/06/2013

Billy Porter is a tiresome queen with an acting range of A to B.

by Anonymousreply 26311/06/2013

Real Estate for the Spring.

The following theaters currently have shows with no closing dates, but the shows are as yet unproved and not selling well enough to run forever:

*Lyceum: Janis Joplin *Atkinson: After Midnight *Kerr: A Gentlemen's Guide... *Nederlander: Newsies *Jacobs: Once *Broadway: Cinderella (the last three are long runners that are beginning to peter out somewhat)

The following theaters have tenants with closing dates and no officially announced incoming spring shows:

*Golden: Time to Kill closing 11/17 *Longacre: First Date closing 1/5 *Palace: Annie closing 1/5 *Marquis: Rascals closing 1/5 *Booth: Glass Menagerie closing 2/23 *Cort: Double bill closing 3/2

All other theaters have shows currently running and/or they are committed to announced new shows.

Whew!

by Anonymousreply 26411/06/2013

Cinderella is considered a long running show? It hasn't even played 10 months yet. How about us?

by Anonymousreply 26511/06/2013

Another dreary Broadway season of new, unmemorable scores. How long, oh, Lord, how long?

by Anonymousreply 26611/07/2013

Cinderella is playing to 62% capacity (last week's figures). Can it possibly pay back its investment by the time it closes?

by Anonymousreply 26711/07/2013

PIPPIN should do their own spin on the original NINE ad but with that Orion guy as (non-drag) Anita Morris.

by Anonymousreply 26811/07/2013

Aren't we overdue for a revival of "Scandalous"?

by Anonymousreply 26911/07/2013

I finally went to 'The Glass Menagerie' I thoroughly enjoyed it, The sister-eating-sofa was a great idea, adding nuance to the story.

It is broadway cares fundraising time, so it was nice to chat up the actors, while throwing money in their buckets.

John Stamos sat, with his all male posse, a few rows behind me, he does look good for 'his age'.

by Anonymousreply 27011/07/2013

OMG, John Stamos is FIFTY! I had no idea he was so elderly.

by Anonymousreply 27111/07/2013

Stamos looks good for any age! Describe his posse! Gayish? Cute?

by Anonymousreply 27211/07/2013

The posse were average guys, they all seemed gay-ish to me, but what group of men attending theatre don't look gayish !?

by Anonymousreply 27311/07/2013

R247- for much less money?? Cirque du Soleil is expensive. No less so than Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 27411/07/2013

Whaddaya expect, R258? It's Pippin.

by Anonymousreply 27511/07/2013

R255, I was there as well (not acting); so, I guess we know each other.

by Anonymousreply 27611/07/2013

lol r274

by Anonymousreply 27711/07/2013

Cheyenne as a meth addict . . . hmmm.

Cheyenne Jackson has joined the cast of "Glee" and "American Horror Story" creator Ryan Murphy's new HBO series "Open," according to Deadline.com.

Jackson (Finian's Rainbow, Xanadu, "Behind the Candelabra," "United 93") will be a series regular in a role Murphy and co-writer Lauren Gussis have written for him. The series is a provocative exploration of sexuality and relationships. Deadline.com reports that Jackson will play a character with a meth addiction.

Also featured in the series will be Michelle Monaghan, Scott Speedman, Wes Bentley, Anna Torv and Jennifer Jason Leigh.

"Open" will begin filming in February 2014.

by Anonymousreply 27811/07/2013

Pale Pippin played Peter Parker in Spider-man and is now dating the gal who played Mary Jane. His Pippin has that nasal Reeves Carney style of singing. And he's British.

by Anonymousreply 27911/07/2013

Newsies just went to the expense of installing a new stage floor so I don't think they're closing any time soon. But yes, Once needs to move on.

Cinderella and Big Fish just perplex me. How stupid can producers be to think that those shows are suddenly going to catch on and turn a profit?

Is 12th Night/Richard III a limited run? If so, does it close soon enough to allow another show to take over the theater for the spring.

Same with Hedwig? Is that a limited run for the Belasco?

And why doesn't Chicago close already? What a waste of real estate.

by Anonymousreply 28011/07/2013

Despite Brantley's rave review, everything I've heard about Honeymoon in Vegas is disappointing and less than stellar. Is it really going to move?

Cannot wait to see Kelli as an Italian mama! How long will that one last? Do the tourists really care?

by Anonymousreply 28111/07/2013

The pale boy playing Pippin doesn't have much of a voice (specifically and sadly on "Corner Of The Sky") but his acting is great. He's incredibly endearing. Actually brings some humanity to the proceedings, thank God.

by Anonymousreply 28211/07/2013

[quote]And why doesn't Chicago close already? What a waste of real estate.

Why should it close, because you want it to? It cost nothing to run, makes a profit, keeps the tourist trade happy, employs 50 or so fulltime in an industry that is hard to find full time employment in and it uses a theater not too many actually want to use.

by Anonymousreply 28311/07/2013

Pale Pippin, who has struggled to sing the score from the beginning, is not as good in the role as his understudy Eric Altemus who sings it better and manages to keep the audience on Pippin's side which is not easy given the book. Eric is much cuter too.

by Anonymousreply 28411/07/2013

But you gotta give r283 credit for defining "great" acting down to being "incredibly endearing" -- i.e., cute. At least he's open about it.

by Anonymousreply 28511/07/2013

Mamelah opn heer Twelfth Night experience: "Making the day extra special: I spied Hugh Jackman and Laura Linney (not together) in the audience. Chatted with Hugh during intermission; he and I both thought this was the best Shakespeare we'd seen in a long, long time."

Oooo, she chatted with Hugh. I'm sure he was charmed.

by Anonymousreply 28611/07/2013

Pippin had the good fortune to open in a very weak season for both original musicals and revivals (and a glut of "Family" entertainment)--the grosses will go back up through the holidays but will sink like a stone once the raft of this seasons musicals start opening and drawing business away Snooki for Fastrada!!

by Anonymousreply 28711/07/2013

R287. Hugh is always nice and patient without being phoney. After all it could have been mlop who fastened herself onto Mr. Jackman. They'd still be at hte Belasco if so.

by Anonymousreply 28811/07/2013

Who's Mamelah? Angie Lansbury?

by Anonymousreply 28911/07/2013

Nah. Wasp Angela with a sign in name like Mamaleh! That's a scream.

by Anonymousreply 29011/07/2013

these songs that kathie Lee and David Friedman write for The Today Show are just howlingly putrid

by Anonymousreply 29111/07/2013

Oh R392 - I just heard that song as well; a perfect example of the most shameless treacle.

The guy who sang it has a good voice, too bad it was wasted.

by Anonymousreply 29211/07/2013

to make it even more embarrassing they have to sing these dreadful songs directly to the "special" recipients so awkward

by Anonymousreply 29311/07/2013

Big Fish running a new (bad) commercial

by Anonymousreply 29411/07/2013

Why would Big Fish close? They probably can sell a bunch of tickets during the holidays.

by Anonymousreply 29511/07/2013

How is Natasha and Pierre, et al doing? Feel like tickets are easier to come by then before.

by Anonymousreply 29611/07/2013

[quote]How is Natasha and Pierre, et al doing? Feel like tickets are easier to come by then before.

I don't doubt it. Moving uptown and becoming more available has caused it to lose its cache.

by Anonymousreply 29711/07/2013

Cinderella should run through the holidays. Thats's when the audience comes out. Sad cuz it's a good show. I think people group it with Disney dreck and don't pick up on the marketing that been hitting them over the head with R+H.

by Anonymousreply 29811/07/2013

What R299 said. It is a delightful show.

by Anonymousreply 29911/07/2013

300 post and no sign of the infamous OP

by Anonymousreply 30011/07/2013

First Date lasted longer than i thought it would--will be done regionally, i presume

by Anonymousreply 30111/07/2013

Natasha & Pierre could not have recouped 1 nickle-downtown and uptown combined whos taking the bath on this one? and toward what end?

by Anonymousreply 30211/07/2013

First Date should have been called "First Headache." And what the hell was Gallo thinking with all those screens?

by Anonymousreply 30311/07/2013

R298. Cachet, sweetheart.

by Anonymousreply 30411/07/2013

Call me crazy but I just don't see Big Fish appealing to the tourist trade at holiday time.

How do you sell it to them? Do they know the movie? Do they know the book? Do they know Lippa or Stro?

Do they know Norbert Leo f**kin' Butz?

by Anonymousreply 30511/07/2013

[quote]Cachet, sweetheart.

Thank you. I knew that looked wrong.

by Anonymousreply 30611/07/2013

I still laugh thinking about the post in a previous thread that said Kinky Boots was "worse than a hate crime."

by Anonymousreply 30711/07/2013

"Despite Brantley's rave review, everything I've heard about 'Honeymoon in Vegas' is disappointing and less than stellar."

Then everything you've heard is wrong.

And no, "Cinderella" is NOT a good show.

by Anonymousreply 30811/07/2013

Went to see PIPPIN the other night and enjoyed it but would have enjoyed it more had it not been for the young lady sitting next to me. For the last half hour of the second act, she kept munching on something that smelled really foul (looked like nuts of some kind), plus she kept reaching down into her bag taking them out, then putting them back in, then taking them out, and so on, plus washing them down with the bottle beer she bought during intermission. She also kept bumping my leg as she folded her coat, pushed it down into her bag, then took it out again, then put it back, and so on. I would have said something but the show was in wrap-up mode and I just wanted to continue focusing on what was going on onstage, not this rude person next to me.

My main point is, what the hell has happened to manners in the theater? Why do people go to Broadway shows and act like they're sitting on their living room couch and not in a crowded theater with other people who paid money to watch a performance, not listen to them talk and munch and crunch and whisper and pull stuff out their bags and push it back in and ... Good Lord, it's almost enough to make you say fuck it, stay home and listen to the cast album.

by Anonymousreply 30911/07/2013

Just saw First Date (Tony voter's +1) and I thought it was cute, except for all the cliches, and there were MANY. But the performers really made it better than it is. Especially gayboy Zachary Levi. Krysta doesn't seem to have a subtle shade in her singing.

by Anonymousreply 31011/07/2013

People are p-i-g HOGS.

by Anonymousreply 31111/07/2013

r309 if you thought Honeymoon in Vegas was all that, you needto get out more... or see a fucking doctor.

by Anonymousreply 31211/07/2013

R310, it's getting worse every day. About two weeks ago a man sitting in the row in front of me ate something stinky during the first act. I was able to move over a few seats, but I couldn't get away from the disgusting smell. During intermission, several people were talking about it, but they couldn't figure out where it was coming from.

At a different show about a week ago, a middle-aged couple decided to have a conversation during the first act. I shushed them and they stopped for a while, then started up again. I had to shush them again. They weren't whispering or saying a few words here and there....they were having a full-blown conversation! They looked annoyed at me, but I was more than annoyed with them.

I refuse to go to really popular musicals because you get foreign tourists who don't understand what's going on, so one of their friends translates for them throughout the show. This has happened to me several times but they don't get why it's a problem.

by Anonymousreply 31311/08/2013

What are you blathering on about, r301? Are you talking about the OP who embarrassed himself with the wrong their/there usage? Or the OP of this thread? Whatever. They could have dumped their cookies and be posting without your knowledge.

by Anonymousreply 31411/08/2013

By the way, any gossip on Matthew James Thomas? He's hot hot hot and didn't expect him to be a blonde. Has anyone here had him? If so, please feel free to share.

by Anonymousreply 31511/08/2013

I tried but no dice.

by Anonymousreply 31611/08/2013

Tonight on PBS, the Neil Patrick Harris version of COMPANY with Patti LuPone as Joanne.

NPH's nice chest sometimes looks odd at some angles and it looks like he has bigger boobs than Christina Hendricks.

by Anonymousreply 31711/08/2013

r319 and NO VPLs! Poor David.

by Anonymousreply 31811/08/2013

R318. No one has bigger boobs than Christina Hendricks! Not possible.

by Anonymousreply 31911/08/2013

R314, just saw your post this morning. I hear you and you're right, it's getting worse every day. I also posted here over the summer about the two girls who sat next to us at AVENUE Q eating Chinese take-out right there in the row next to us (they'd brought it in with them before the start of the show) and it smelled godawful. And of course, despite several people around them being annoyed, the ushers who were standing right there and saw them eating it did nothing (and I guess why would they considering they let them walk in with it in the first place), so they were able to continue enjoying their meal at our dismay right through the start of the first act (luckily, they finished about two songs in, though the smell lingered for a bit).

But you know what's really funny? Me, Mr. Supposed-to-Be Experienced Theatergoer, was actually foolish enough to think at the time, "ugh, this is just so typical of a dump like New World Stages; they'd NEVER let them get away with this shit at a Broadway show."

Hahahahaha....

by Anonymousreply 32011/08/2013

There should be instructional videos on how to behave at a show. That's how bad it is sometimes.

Also, as much as everyone likes to talk about how young people are complete narcissists and that it's their fault, I've usually found little old ladies to be the absolute worst. The Overture is still an excuse to talk. They comment on the first thing to appear on the stage once the overture has ended ("Oh, look at her!") and they bring enormous handbags and coats with them. And though this doesn't count as bad behaviour during a show itself, their intermission chatter is interminable.

by Anonymousreply 32111/08/2013

"I've usually found little old ladies to be the absolute worst. The Overture is still an excuse to talk."

Hell yes, You so right about them!

by Anonymousreply 32211/08/2013

What do y'all think of Underwood in that SOM clip? I actually hot a little excited about the Borle/be anti duet

by Anonymousreply 32311/08/2013

The final episode of Smash was finally broadcast last night in the UK. I was so surprised Sutton Foster didn't win for Oliver! And I really thought Kate Baldwin in Seesaw was a favourite as well.

That show really ran out of steam. It was so joyless by the end. Megan Hilty was pretty reliable throughout but the performance she gave of her Tony acceptance speech was pretty bad. And it's always funny how these people were always giving these huge, last second musical performances without any rehearsal.

Oh Smash. By the end it was more like Smush.

by Anonymousreply 32411/08/2013

I just finished reading "Song of Spiderman," Glen Berger's account of the creation of Turn Off the Dark. There were no big surprises in it, but it was a great read; I finished it in two days. Taymor comes off better than I thought she would; I do think she is supremely gifted, but this just wasn't the right show for her, and, I think, she might have realized that at some point. Bono and Edge come off a LOT better than I thought they would, too. Although I don't believe that they were full collaborators and very helpful to Taymor -- and the soundtrack is absolutely uninspiring -- they do seem like very sincere, humble guys. Perhaps, though, that's because Berger is starstruck? It's a very very good read, though, and I recommend it. Aguire-Sarcassi comes off looking pretty bad. Maybe he's a nice guy and Berger had a beef with him, but he doesn't come off well. Does anyone have a good Broadway book to recommend? Has anyone read the Fosse bio?

by Anonymousreply 32511/08/2013

No r326 but I am going to both books today at B and N!

Did anyone here see Patti at Carnegie last night?

by Anonymousreply 32611/08/2013

"If you thought Honeymoon in Vegas was all that, you need to get out more... or see a fucking doctor."

If that's true, I'm in good company. It's a fantastically entertaining show, it's going to be a huge Broadway hit, and you are very weird to dislike it so intensely.

by Anonymousreply 32711/08/2013

[quote]I just finished reading "Song of Spiderman," Glen Berger's account of the creation of Turn Off the Dark.

Any good scoop in there about the Phil McKinley and the new regime that came in?

by Anonymousreply 32811/08/2013

Am halfway through Song of Spiderman … A good read. I attended the first infamous first preview on November 28. Anyway, I just finished the chapter about the bad onstage accident/fall. It happened at preview 27 I think (when the guy fell into the pit because his safety line wasn't clipped)

According to the book - when the accident happened, the PSM was calling the show from the house. Apparently he was the only member of the Stage Management team doing anything.

According to the author, the other SM and the assistants were in the office when the accident happened - They all ran out of the office to help.

Um, why were the stage manager and the assistants in the office during the show? Why were they not upstairs onstage watching to make sure everyone was safe? Or in the pit to supervise the big changeover and finale net prep?

If Glen is correct, and there was no stage manager upstairs on deck, the SM staff should have been fired/replaced immediately.

by Anonymousreply 32911/08/2013

R329 -- The part where McKinley comes in to, uh, save the day is a fairly short part of the book. McK comes off as a bit of a buffoon and completely out of his league, but that could be because Berger didn't have any loyalty to him, and because the play that he wanted to direct was not the play Taymor wanted to direct. It's hard to say how one would act when one inherits a sinking ship, so I think his bad behaviour can be excused to some degree; he really did have a thankless job. Aguire-Sarcassi comes off the worst, I think. He just seems arrogant and unhelpful and a little too full of confidence, but, perhaps, that's what's needed to have a successful career. At any rate, I won't look favourable on anything he does in the future. In all, I really think Taymor comes out smelling like a rose. Her gifts are undeniable, but, considering her distaste of disposable pop culture, she really never should have taken the project on. Maybe, she, too, was starstruck at the chance of working with Bono and Edge.

by Anonymousreply 33011/08/2013

I just saw A GENTLEMAN'S GUIDE TO LOVE AND MURDER and boy oh boy let me tell you bitches, this is going to be the smash hit of the season. An intimate, charming and ferociously funny throwback musical. I have rarely heard lyrics this witty since Noel Coward. And Jefferson Mays is defying laws of physics with his lighting fast costume changes not to mention his utterly brilliant portrayal of eight different British nobs just dying to get murdered. The Tony is his without question. In a sea of tasteless Broadway mega-nonsense like Spiderman, I truly hope audiences recognize this for the class act it truly is.

by Anonymousreply 33111/08/2013

Loved "Gentleman's Guide" - worthy of "Kind Hearts and Coronets" and then some.

by Anonymousreply 33211/08/2013

I saw Gentleman's Guide for a second time yesterday, and although I can't gush as much as (R332) I was surprised how much work they've done in previews. New opening number which works MUCH better, seemed to have cut a fair bit of the first 20 minutes to get to the "fun" quicker and just tightened things up.

Really great singing and beautiful orchestrations. I hope it gets a nice run.

by Anonymousreply 33311/08/2013

R334. Me too, but I understand they're already shopping the theater out to prospective spring shows.

by Anonymousreply 33411/08/2013

R334, thanks for the report on the opening. I posted how much I liked the show a few weeks ago, but noted it got off to a slow start. I'm glad they've fixed that.

by Anonymousreply 33511/08/2013

Apparently David Strathairn has hit his stride in Underneath the lintel. All critics coming out of the ACT are positive.

Could a play like this make it in NYC? Or are they just friendlier in San Francisco?

by Anonymousreply 33611/08/2013

I should add that Underneath the Lintel is also a Glen Berger play.

I saw it and it was quite good. it's a bit trite in the aw-of-human-experience message but nonetheless intriquing and fun to watch.

Strathairn excels in this shaggy professor-type role. He masterful at it and does quite well on his own on the stage.

by Anonymousreply 33711/08/2013

If Taymor comes off well then how accurate can the Spiderman book be? I have a friend who worked with her on Lion King, and this well liked guy who never speaks ill of anyone only has very negative things to say about Taymor.

by Anonymousreply 33811/08/2013

r328 I did not dislike it intensely, it's just not verygood. Mediocre and pedestrian. Those reviews were WAY over the top, and much of what I heard leaving the theater agreed. Hardly ranks with the best of the Golden Age, as Dame Benny said.

by Anonymousreply 33911/08/2013

"She treats people like puppets, and puppets like people."

by Anonymousreply 34011/08/2013

PS:the Carrie Underwood defenders here should read the thread about her Obamacare routine at the CMAs.

They are ripping this redneck bitch a new one.

by Anonymousreply 34111/08/2013

Barbra Streisand at Pippin last night!

“Could there be a better night in the theater?” Feldshuh tweeted of Babs’ visit, adding, “She is truly a kind and generous soul.” Press photographers weren’t invited to capture the meet-and-greet, but enjoy this personal snapshot of Pippin leading ladies Rachel Bay Jones, Charlotte d’Amboise, Feldshuh and Patina Miller with Broadway's now and forever Funny Girl. Wow!

by Anonymousreply 34211/08/2013

Just saw the trailer for the London Private Lives that's sowing here in Dec.

Why didn't someone tell Toby Stephens to get a haircut. He looks terrible with that shaggy hair slicked back, and it'v very out-of-period.

by Anonymousreply 34311/08/2013

Duckface as Amanda?!

by Anonymousreply 34411/08/2013

I wonder if Babs was checking it out because she'd like to play Berthe in the upcoming movie version?

by Anonymousreply 34511/08/2013

Did Tovah and Babs compare Yentl notes?

by Anonymousreply 34611/08/2013

[quote]PS:the Carrie Underwood defenders here should read the thread about her Obamacare routine at the CMAs.

There are no defenders here, I just won't judge her performance until I see it. I'm no fan, but people here, as with ATC just bitch without warrant.

by Anonymousreply 34711/08/2013

What routine about Obamacare? She and whatshisname made a joke about how the website isn't working. Jon Stewart does about twenty of those a night.

by Anonymousreply 34811/08/2013

R349, aka the false equivalency troll.

If this was 2006 and it was called "Bushcare" "Carrie and Brad" NEVER would have performed their nasty little skit.

Jon Stewart of course would have ridiculed it either way.

by Anonymousreply 34911/08/2013

What show gets The Imperial after Billy Crystal is done with it?

by Anonymousreply 35011/08/2013

[quote]What show gets The Imperial after Billy Crystal is done with it?

LES MIZ, right? Who gets the Imperial after LES MIZ folds in a month (please God!), I do not know.

by Anonymousreply 35111/08/2013

Why did Broadway World have the obligatory 100 photos of the Divo quartet (everywhere except on ice or underwater) at the opening last night, but not a single photo of Heather Headley? did she cancel Opening Night (not surprising!)?

by Anonymousreply 35211/08/2013

This NPH version of COMPANY on PBS right now is almost unwatchable- and I was there in the second row at the taping

I won't complain about the dialogue being dated, which it is, but even when it was new did couples ever talk this way?

by Anonymousreply 35311/08/2013

I always thought the book was hard to listen to r354. Wasn't around for the original but after listening to the cast album for years and then finally seeing a production, I felt Company is a show better heard than seen.

by Anonymousreply 35411/08/2013

Craig Bierko has creepy eyes.

by Anonymousreply 35511/08/2013

Like Company, are there any hit musicals that were about the manners and modes of their time that don't seem uncomfortably dated now?

A Chorus Line and West Side Story have much the same problem.

Bye Bye Birdie might be arguable, but that was always a cartoon of a time that never really was.

by Anonymousreply 35611/08/2013

West Side Story doesn't have much of a problem - it was also a bit of a cartoon. Carousel has the weird 'sometimes a man can hit you and it feels like a kiss' thing but the show isn't set in the forties.

A Chorus Line theoretically speaking could be timeless, but even just that confessional form and the psychology of it is dated. I'm amazed that the show 'My Mother's Italian, My Father's Jewish, And I'm In Therapy!' is something that was written in the present day - the title alone screams late 90's stand up comedy. The humour in Falsettos is nearly all based around therapy speak too - I don't imagine it holds up well.

by Anonymousreply 35711/08/2013

Carousel's period (1870s) was not contemporary to when it was written.

It may be dated but it's not like the others mentioned.

by Anonymousreply 35811/08/2013

Tick Tock Ho Hum.

by Anonymousreply 35911/08/2013

Is Pippin the Weissler's new Chicago? Are they star casting all roles? Sorry, I'm not in the US at the moment.

by Anonymousreply 36011/08/2013

[quote] but the show isn't set in the forties.

Exactly, R359.

by Anonymousreply 36111/08/2013

A Chorus Line seems like sexual harassment nowadays. YOU HAVE TO TELL ME YOUR INNER MOST PERSONAL ISSUES BEFORE I'LL HIRE YOU!!! Can't I just read the lines?

by Anonymousreply 36211/08/2013

Oh, Christ, have you COMPANY nay-sayers ever heard of something called surrealism? The book scenes are deliberately written in an abstract, cubist mode to dramatize Bobby's stream-of-consciousness. So some references or turns of phrase are dated---so what? They matter as much as they do in Shakespeare: not at all.

by Anonymousreply 36311/09/2013

r364 majored in dramatic literature and now does temp work

by Anonymousreply 36411/09/2013

r 364 minored in ass...

by Anonymousreply 36511/09/2013

r364 shpheaks with a bi-lateral lishp

by Anonymousreply 36611/09/2013

[quote]This NPH version of COMPANY on PBS right now is almost unwatchable- and I was there in the second row at the taping

Not familiar with Christina Hendricks work, I've never seen "Mad Men" and all I know of her, is she has big bought tits that she bitches when people mention, but I have to say she was delightful.

]quote]Oh, Christ, have you COMPANY nay-sayers ever heard of something called surrealism? The book scenes are deliberately written in an abstract, cubist mode to dramatize Bobby's stream-of-consciousness. So some references or turns of phrase are dated---so what? They matter as much as they do in Shakespeare: not at all

Sondhemites, chuckle, oh boy.

by Anonymousreply 36711/09/2013

[quote]300 post and no sign of the infamous OP.

Which OP are you talking about? I started this thread because the person who does the awesome ones didn't. And I've been here the whole time.

BEST LITTLE WHOREHOUSE GOES PUBLIC

by Anonymousreply 36811/09/2013

When I said that Taymor comes out looking the best in the Spiderman book, I didn't mean that she came out looking like the best PERSON; she came out best in terms of her trying to do the job she was hired to do. She came across inordinately stubborn, but she also appeared to do what she needed to do in order to put on the play she thought she was supposed to put on. Edge and Bono? Not so much. They came across as more likeable than Taymor, but also less willing to put in the effort to get the work done.

by Anonymousreply 36911/09/2013

Puh-leeeze. "abstract , cubist mode" , "Bobby's stream of consciousness" Hello? When 'Company" first burst upon the scene it was looked at as a realistic depiction of a certain set of Manhattan types. Everyone around the country thought it was a very revealing look at angst-ridden, neurotic, commitment-avoiding 'New Yorkers' and I can't say what New Yorkers thought about the characters at that time -- or even NOW--- but most people in other metropolitan cities around the country thought "There but for the grace of God--so glad I'm not another 100 people getting off the train"

Saw the PBS last night. With the exception of whoever was playing "Amy", I've seen at least two productions done outside of NY --one back in 70s and one not too many years ago-- that were far superior to the acting, singing of that production last night. Interesting that TV vet Hendricks ended up giving the only subtle, internalized performance while everyone else were way over the top.

by Anonymousreply 37011/09/2013

With all the publicity I should know the answer, but can someone tell me:

Is the TV Sound of Music going to have a live studio audience as it's a live performance?

If not, won't it be odd when no one laughs, claps (or cries)?

by Anonymousreply 37111/09/2013

R371 Amy was Katie Finneran.

by Anonymousreply 37211/09/2013

No R372.. it's being done in a studio but there will be no audience.

by Anonymousreply 37311/09/2013

I rather like the book to COMPANY. The overbearing '70s NYC faux-wit and faux-profundity seems perfectly in keeping with the subject. You want Bobby to escape from the shallowness of these people and their world and actually feel a real emotion.

by Anonymousreply 37411/09/2013

R373, Thanks. I've heard of her and know she's won a Tony, yes, but I guess that was my first time actually seeing her perform and I thought she courageously "went for it" and brought it all off beautifully. I've seen others tackle Amy and 'pull back', when it's the one role that needs that bold approach to it.

by Anonymousreply 37511/09/2013

[quote] it's the one role that needs that bold approach to it.

Oh, reeeeeeeeeealy?!

by Anonymousreply 37611/09/2013

What do you think a concept musical is, r371, but a show that offers kaleidoscopic perspectives on a single theme? Yes, "abstract" and "cubist" are the perfect words to describe COMPANY. No one, including its authors, ever considered the characters as flesh-and-blood or three-dimensional. Which is why nearly the entire score is written as a commentary, not emotionally, as in the R&H shows, and why COMPANY was considered innovative and pioneering.

by Anonymousreply 37711/09/2013

Adrian Lester (Donmar Bobby)isn't gay.

by Anonymousreply 37811/09/2013

I think a lot of people go to the theater with the attitude "I paid my money and I'm going to do whatever I want." The reason why the management is so hesitant to do something about audience members who do rude and inappropriate things is that the sort of people who act like this are also most likely to respond by pitching a fit, demanding to see the manager and trying to get the person who spoke to them fired. The managers, of course, hang the ushers out to dry because it's easier to browbeat or fire an underling than to stand up to a flaming asshole. That's why you see the ushers standing by not doing anything. It's learned helplessness.

by Anonymousreply 37911/09/2013

R378, I'm R371 and I respect your opinion about it all, though it may have seemed I was putting you down. No --I'm simply trying to communicate what it was like to many of us --some of us theatre vets, some of us just loving performing arts---when 'Company' was first produced and started being done around US and Canada. It was indeed a trail-blazing, innovative musical but we saw it as those two things because, suddenly, this musical had rather startlingly real people that were trying to communicate their "pain" and , lo and behold, there was a song that seemed to come out of nowhere every now and then! You could actually forget you were seeing a musical. We'd never seen anything like it before. No real big dance numbers; the songs were as much a direct ' communique' to audience than a response to whoever was on stage with the singer. To say there was something "surreal" or "abstract" about it or we weren't supposed to see real flesh and blood people on the stage just was NOT the experience that my generation had when first seeing productions of 'Company". We actually looked at it as a play with music .

by Anonymousreply 38011/09/2013

Company is one of my all time favorite Original Cast Recordings.

by Anonymousreply 38111/09/2013

Barry Weissler's contribution to the theatre:

making like it's 1975 all over again.

PIPPIN CHICAGO GREASE

One giant leap backwards for western civilization....

by Anonymousreply 38211/09/2013

[quote]One giant leap backwards for western civilization....

Better still, no new talent to write anything new and wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 38311/09/2013

[quote]Barry Weissler's contribution to the theatre

To give Barry his due, he's tried to develop something new. Over and over and over. He just doesn't have a talent for it.

by Anonymousreply 38411/09/2013

[quote]One giant leap backwards for western civilization....

He keeps a lot of people employed. How dare he? Get off your high horse, people enjoy his productions.

by Anonymousreply 38511/09/2013

such a lame season there isn't even an active Broadway Sex thread

by Anonymousreply 38611/09/2013

R369, do your magic with the Broadway Sex Thread 3, please.

by Anonymousreply 38711/09/2013

This thread blows. Next. Nothing to see here.

by Anonymousreply 38811/10/2013

Fran and Barry gave us Scottsboro Boys too

by Anonymousreply 38911/10/2013

"The reason PIPPIN's grosses are dropping is that unlike other producers, Barry doesn't plow a lot into advertising. He let's the shows do the work."

This surprises me - I always thought of CHICAGO as being heavily advertised, right from the beginning.

by Anonymousreply 39011/10/2013

What is up with the Apple Plays. They are soooo boring. Not as bad as those Lucy Thurber plays earlier in the season, but nothing happens in them. The one thread about Uncle is getting tired. The last play better tie it all together.

by Anonymousreply 39111/10/2013

Didn't Fran and Barry produce Falsettos?

by Anonymousreply 39211/10/2013

So as long as this thread is turning into a discussion of Company, Imma say that PLP knocked it out of the park, and I'm not even a PLP fanboy. That song is pretty much impossible to do since it was written so much for Stritch, but she really found a way to make it different and a three-act play -- and make clear that the "another brilliant zinger" verse is about Joanne's own self-contempt.

by Anonymousreply 39311/10/2013

[quote]This surprises me - I always thought of CHICAGO as being heavily advertised, right from the beginning.

It was. They even took a closed store on the upper east side and filled up each window with life size photos of the cast, those now iconic sexy black and white shots.

by Anonymousreply 39411/10/2013

[quote] That song is pretty much impossible to do since it was written so much for Stritch,

Dolores Gray didn't find it impossible.

by Anonymousreply 39511/10/2013

Splatsy Trombone's repulsive "performance" was off the charts bad. Legendarily bad. Completely wrong casting. She never should have accepted the role.

by Anonymousreply 39611/10/2013

What was so wrong about her?

by Anonymousreply 39711/10/2013

PLP? At the Duplex?

by Anonymousreply 39811/10/2013

It's official. Big Fish gonna sleep with the fishes.

by Anonymousreply 39911/10/2013

Here's my problem with LuPone and, don't get me wrong, I used to be a fan.

She's gotten vulgar and way over the top hammy.

By the end of her run in Gypsy she was a mess. People stood and screamed and stomped their feet for her but she was a disaster. And she dragged Boyd Gaines down with her. To her credit, Benanti was consistent throughout the run (I saw the show several times).

PLP's Joanne in Company was, again, vulgar. Screechy. Not funny.

I always thought she was a decent actress and a superior singer. Not so much anymore.

by Anonymousreply 40011/10/2013

You must admit it was nice to hear Ladies Who Lunch sung instead of brayed. On pitch, even.

by Anonymousreply 40111/10/2013

They can advertise it as Fried Fish for it's last weeks. Awful show that deserved it's demise.

by Anonymousreply 40211/10/2013

[quote] What is up with the Apple Plays. They are soooo boring. Not as bad as those Lucy Thurber plays earlier in the season, but nothing happens in them. The one thread about Uncle is getting tired. The last play better tie it all together.

I think they're amazing.

by Anonymousreply 40311/10/2013

Now Bobby can do the Terrence McNally play with Tyne Daly.

by Anonymousreply 40411/10/2013

First, First Flop and now Big Flop...what's next?

by Anonymousreply 40511/10/2013

Oh. How could I forget A Time To Close?

by Anonymousreply 40611/10/2013

I say Gentleman's Guide for the next closing.

by Anonymousreply 40711/10/2013

You forgot Soul Doctor Flop, R406/R407.

by Anonymousreply 40811/10/2013

And Soul Doctor will be replaced inexplicably at Circle-in-the-Square by Bronx Bombers which was already universally panned off-Broadway.

Lots of crazy people out there willing to lose thousands of dollars these days.

by Anonymousreply 40911/10/2013

According to the pre-sale of The Sound of Music TV recording on iTunes, Audra sings MY FAVORITE THINGS with Carrie BEFORE she meets the children.

Wha??? Why mess with a proven formula. It's like the TV version of ANNIE and Audra sings TOMORROW.

What a shame.

by Anonymousreply 41011/10/2013

That's how it is in the stage show, isn't it?

by Anonymousreply 41211/10/2013

I assume different Broadway theaters have different rental fees but does anyone know if some of the smaller theaters that are in prime locations, like The Booth, might cost more to rent than larger less desirable ones, like The Longacre?

by Anonymousreply 41311/10/2013

"It's official. Big Fish gonna sleep with the fishes"

And so we now have an available theatre for Honeymoon in Vegas.

by Anonymousreply 41411/10/2013

On the Town revival going to The Palace.

by Anonymousreply 41511/10/2013

R411, the duet of "My Favorite Things" between the Mother Abbess and Maria before Maria meets the children was already a proven formula for several years before the movie changed it.

by Anonymousreply 41611/10/2013

And there is no "Favorite Things" with the children. The number in Maria's bedroom is "The Lonely Goatherd"

by Anonymousreply 41711/10/2013

Interesting that the TV Sound of Music is following the stage script rather than the more widely familiar movie script. Glad they're keeping Something Good, though. Despite the issues with the lyrics, I really love that song.

by Anonymousreply 41811/11/2013

R419, you must be late to the game. The entire point of this project is to make people familiar with the STAGE script. The R&H library is tired of people licensing the stage version and being surprised or confused that it is not like the film. As a puppeteer, you have no idea how many times I get a call for puppets to use in "Lonely Goatherd". Clearly, the school has not read the script of they would know that there is no place for the puppet scene in the stage musical.

by Anonymousreply 41911/11/2013

The movie is perfect. The stage show is not.

by Anonymousreply 42011/11/2013

Is R11 posting here and actually serios about his "complaint"? What is wrong with him?

by Anonymousreply 42111/11/2013

Is [R11] posting here and actually serious about his "complaint"? What is wrong with him?

by Anonymousreply 42211/11/2013

I thought On The Town has the Longacre.

by Anonymousreply 42311/11/2013

So Big Fish is closing. No matter its merits, that's a bad sign. The original American musical is dead. It no longer has a chance it the vacuous culture that has engulfed this country.

Let's face it, original musicals will only succeed if they are based on some B movie that made tween girls shriek with delight twenty years ago, if they star washed up movie/ TV stars looking to revive their dead careers, or if they get over the top - unwarranted - reviews.

Juke box musicals are the only appeal to those vapid producing herds that barter shows today. These Juke Box shows have them salivating because they can thrive in the wasteland know as Broadway. Just watch, here comes Beautiful - again, not even considering its merits - which some say are quite good- this is a sure thing with the female Baby Boomers demographics. It needs NOTHING more than its familiarity.

Beware Madison County or any of the few musicals that dare to brave the scene with a new score because because tumbleweed is blowing down 45th Street. Without a "star," or those outrageous, flamboyant rave reviews. You are dead ... and that's kind of a shame.

by Anonymousreply 42411/11/2013

Big Fish is not original, it's based on a mediocre movie that flopped at the box office, an execrable trend that needs to end.

by Anonymousreply 42511/11/2013

Wicked, Book of Mormon and Avenue Q would be the exceptions to your rules, r426?

And Hairspray, Once and Kinky Boots, though based on films, also don't quite fit your demographic.

by Anonymousreply 42611/11/2013

And one assumes HONEYMOON IN VEGAS might work. I haven't seen it, so I have no opinion, but the reviews and the supposed audience reaction in NJ bodes well.

by Anonymousreply 42711/11/2013

Andy Mientus, the twerp who got killed off on Smash, will play Marius in the Les Mis revival? ANDY MIENTUS?

by Anonymousreply 42811/11/2013

[quote] Andy Mientus, the twerp who got killed off on Smash, will play Marius in the Les Mis revival? ANDY MIENTUS?

I think he's tremendous.

by Anonymousreply 42911/11/2013

I wonder where I am?

by Anonymousreply 43011/11/2013

[quote] I wonder where I am?

[quote] michael arden's nude pics

In a folder named "meh".

by Anonymousreply 43111/11/2013

r426, I think the point r425 is making by the word "original" is shows with original scores.

by Anonymousreply 43211/11/2013

Andy is another of those Ronan farrow type of guys who labels themselves bisexual. I was shocked someone as fem as Andy said he was bi,

Doesn't seem like a natural muff diver.

by Anonymousreply 43311/11/2013

[quote] I was shocked someone as fem as Andy said he was bi,

It's quite a silly bias, though I understand it. One wouldn't disbelieve an ultra butch "gold star gay" guy.

by Anonymousreply 43411/11/2013

Andy Mientus is BI?!? That's hysterical. Bless his little heart.

by Anonymousreply 43511/11/2013

I can't quite imagine what sort of woman other than a deranged Smash fangirl would be interested in Andy Mientus.

I liked Big Fish and am sad that it's closing. It had issues, but I thought Norbert's performance more than made up for it.

by Anonymousreply 43611/11/2013

Andy was listed as gay in the Out 100 wasn't he? I have never heard that he was anything other than gay. Doesn't he have a boyfriend who also works in theater? He is very talented but not sure he is really a Marius. Maybe the bi label comes from one of those teen girls who were obsessed with him when he did Spring Awakening. He was very vague about his sexuality when he was doing that show. I'm sure those girls followed him on Smash as well.

by Anonymousreply 43711/11/2013

Totally agree, r404. The Apple plays are incredibly smart and moving. And I've never been a Richard Nelson fan.

by Anonymousreply 43811/11/2013

Bi is the new thing with young. Actors: Andy, AKB, Jake Wilson, Charlie Williams, they're all bisexual....

by Anonymousreply 43911/11/2013

Yeah, and I'm Queen of the May.

by Anonymousreply 44011/11/2013

I feel like the gay men who were proud of being gay who died as gay men during the AIDS crisis would be disheartened by so many young guys these days refusing the gay label

by Anonymousreply 44111/11/2013

Doubtful Charlie Williams is bi, though I know he has said that in interviews and unbelievable AKB is anything but 110% gay. Just because you took a girl to your senior prom and maybe had a little action with her before the end of the date doesn't make you bi especially when 99% of your other romantic and sexual history is with the same gender.

by Anonymousreply 44211/11/2013

I doubt think guys in showbiz are representative of regular young guys who are not angling to be pinups etc.

by Anonymousreply 44311/11/2013

[quote]especially when 99% of your other romantic and sexual history is with the same gender

Surely sexual orientation is about desire, not simply activity, no? Or there'd be no such thing as closeted married guys.

by Anonymousreply 44411/11/2013

Add Wes Tayy, Nick Adams, max Essen to the bi list. Sexuality is much more fluid for younger people than older queens. They get as much pussy as dick.

by Anonymousreply 44511/11/2013

Where is the proof that the guys in 446 are bi? All I've ever read is gay from their interview

by Anonymousreply 44611/11/2013

As much as I hated the Rebecca Luker revival where everything was set outdoors... the Von Trapp family lived on their terrace, I did like the way "The Lonely Goatherd was staged. That dull song was used as the opening number in the family's Ac Two scene at the Festival prior to their escape. Brilliant idea..a cutsey poo number performend with giant Nazi flags drapping both sides of the stage. For once, that number worked for me.

by Anonymousreply 44711/11/2013

Andy Mientus as Marius? Uhh... ok but isn't Marius supposed to be straight and in love with Cosette?

by Anonymousreply 44811/11/2013

Michael Ball created the role of Marius, so I don't see the problem...

by Anonymousreply 45011/11/2013

[quote]Now we know why Eponine dressed up like a boy: she figured it improved her odds at landing Marius.

Ha!

The curious thing is that his character on SMASH was rather Eponine-esque; pining for a boy who would never love him. And then after his tragic death, there was much spectacular grieving.

Here's hoping they find a way to interpolate some of the songs from HIT LIST.

by Anonymousreply 45111/11/2013

[quote]Sexuality is much more fluid for younger people than older queens. They get as much pussy as dick.

This may be true but it still doesn't mean most or all of these guys are telling the truth. In fact, I'm sure most are flat-out lying but R444 I think hit it on the head: these kids have pinup dreams -- i.e., they still dream of making it big in TV and film and don't want to limit themselves in the eyes of casting directors. Forget NPH -- I'm sure most of them still believe they can have a career like Leo DiCaprio and they're not gonna risk throwing it all away so early in the game just for the sake of being "out and proud."

by Anonymousreply 45211/11/2013

Right the only pussy Wes, Nick and Max have ever seen or played with is a real live cat.

by Anonymousreply 45311/11/2013

Pithy.

by Anonymousreply 45411/11/2013

I think some may be flat out lying that they are gay because the NY theater community is so gay. Perhaps are they are more straight in their real feelings.

by Anonymousreply 45511/11/2013

Don't make fun of the people who don't like the Apple Plays. You know she doesn't like it. Right, Uncle? You agreed with me this morning. Remember? Here, are you eating the salad with no dressing? Don't ask why there's no salad, you know she doesn't like when you tease her about that. Right, Uncle? Oh, I hate Andrew. And I can call him Andrew and not Gov. Cuomo because...right, Uncle? Remember when we called him Andrew, Uncle?

by Anonymousreply 45611/11/2013

Jeremy Jordan as Marius? Oui. Andy Mientus as Marius. Non. Tres horrible casting. Mientus is so...wimpy.

Michael Ball was actually quite attractive back in 1986 in Les Mis. As long as he didn't remove his shirt.

by Anonymousreply 45711/11/2013

r456 is clearly a fangurl who can't stand the thought that her latest crush is happiest with a dick in his mouth and wouldn't touch her with a ten-foot dick.

Wes Taylor, Nick Adams, Max Von Essen? Honey, just read their Twitter feeds. They're part of the "in" group of Broadway gays. Giggly and girly and having a fine old time with their gay sexuality. So is Andy Mientus, who is proudly and happily involved with Michael Arden.

And Andy Keenan-Bolger - a pussy-hound? Not in this lifetime.

by Anonymousreply 45811/11/2013

Keenan-Bolger's sister may be a puss-hound - the one who's not Celia.

by Anonymousreply 45911/11/2013

The thought of all these Broadway gay boys trying to pass as straight just makes me want to SQUEAL!!!

by Anonymousreply 46011/11/2013

is any a bit pip-squeaky for marius? vocally as well-

by Anonymousreply 46111/11/2013

no such thing as male bisexuality

by Anonymousreply 46211/11/2013

What happened to that documentary that was shot and announced about Broadway ex-gays? Supposedly it had recognizable names. Who got it killed?

by Anonymousreply 46311/11/2013

Who were the ex-gays rumored to be?

by Anonymousreply 46411/11/2013

I remember hearing about that. Who were the ex gays featured?

by Anonymousreply 46511/11/2013

Bud Frump (not Urie).

by Anonymousreply 46611/11/2013

Bud Frump is with that playwright, no?

by Anonymousreply 46711/11/2013

You mean Christopher "Oh, I dropped my" Hanke?

I guess the "ex-gay" thing worked about as well for him as it did for all the other ex-gay guys who are out scarfing dick every chance they get.

by Anonymousreply 46811/11/2013

Hanke (according to the play was a gay christian)

yuck

by Anonymousreply 46911/11/2013

Hanke Skanky...

by Anonymousreply 47011/12/2013

1) "...and make clear that the 'another brilliant zinger' verse is about Joanne's own self-contempt." Oh, really? LuPone was the first person to make that clear? Incredible.

2) The only thing "amazing" about any Richard Nelson play is that it somehow gets produced.

3) The idea that this production of ON THE TOWN would ever be booked into the Palace is insane. On the other hand, BRONX BOMBERS is transferring to Circle in the Square, so insanity is not an unknown commodity on The Broadway.

4) Amazing that anyone who posts here doesn't already know that the SOUND OF MUSIC telecast version is going to be based on the score and script of the original stage show, rather than the movie, and also doesn't know what the differences are.

by Anonymousreply 47111/12/2013

[quote] Amazing that anyone who posts here doesn't already know that the SOUND OF MUSIC telecast version is going to be based on the score and script of the original stage show, rather than the movie, and also doesn't know what the differences are.

MARY!!

by Anonymousreply 47211/12/2013

I don't recall anything tragic about Kyle's death on Smash.

by Anonymousreply 47311/12/2013

[quote] Keenan-Bolger's sister may be a puss-hound - the one who's not Celia.

R460, I thought that was well known?

by Anonymousreply 47411/12/2013

[quote]I don't recall anything tragic about Kyle's death on Smash.

The tragedy was that he had so much more life left to live! Songs to write! Guys to bottom for anonymously! Scarfs to wear!

by Anonymousreply 47511/12/2013

You forgot "people in the streets," r476. He had so many people in the streets, too!

by Anonymousreply 47611/12/2013

The only stage version of The Sound of Music I've seen was the City Opera version with Debby Boone. And they kept the movie placement of that song.

Did the Rebecca Luker Broadway version stick to the stage script?

by Anonymousreply 47711/12/2013

R478. I think it's time to revert to discussions about the next Follies revival. Maybe with all the bisexual Broadway babies cited earlier! I mean if we can stomach a gay Company, why not...

by Anonymousreply 47811/12/2013

Happy birthday to DL fave Karen Ziemba!

by Anonymousreply 47911/12/2013

How about an all gay Follies?

by Anonymousreply 48011/12/2013

[quote]Did the Rebecca Luker Broadway version stick to the stage script?

Yes except all the villa scenes, with the exception of Maria's bedroom, were on the terrace. And "Something Good" was used. Oh, and some of the nuns were spinning pottery and painting pictures (nun's craft time) during "How Do You Solve a Problem like Maria?"

by Anonymousreply 48111/12/2013

On the Town wants a small theater so that Palace rumor is just a rumor.

And it's being considerably recast and redesigned since Barrington.

John Rando, Josh Bergasse and Tony Yazbeck's ass remain constant.

by Anonymousreply 48211/12/2013

How does anyone think that Broadway is eager for a revival of "On The Town"? Really? I'm sure it was delightful summer entertainment in Barrington. But at the Longacre? That is nuts. People throwing money away in a fever dream. But it will be a good couple of months of employment for everyone.

by Anonymousreply 48311/12/2013

Well, for one thing, there is very little competition for that Best Musical Revival Tony right now.

And On the Town has never had a decent Broadway revival.

by Anonymousreply 48411/12/2013

Do people like the NY Times "In Performance" videos?

Just curious...

by Anonymousreply 48511/12/2013

Hmm...so if Fun Home moves, it has a chance at Best Musical.

by Anonymousreply 48611/12/2013

Fun Home, if it moves, would be smarter to wait until the Fall. They would get crushed this Spring.

by Anonymousreply 48711/12/2013

Christ fellas, the halfwits on MY site are all clammering to wish tha old buzzard fruit buzzie a happy birthday... who gives a rat's ass? I've had to delete half the comments that have... nothing.. to.. do.. with theater.

by Anonymousreply 48911/12/2013

Glenn for the 50th anniversary of MAME?

Kathleen Turner would have been a better choice.

by Anonymousreply 49011/12/2013

Kathleen Turner would be a perfect Vera, not Mame.

I would think Cabaret and Les Miz would be ineligible for Best Revival as they are the same productions (with different actors) already seen on Broadway. But one never should second guess the Tony's yearly rulings.

Hedwig, otoh.

by Anonymousreply 49111/12/2013

[quote]How about an all gay Follies?

Now how exactly would that work? The demolition of The Gaiety? Finnochio's?

by Anonymousreply 49211/12/2013

Tonys'

by Anonymousreply 49311/12/2013

how about the closing of the Roxy?

Beautiful Girls would be about the drag queens!

by Anonymousreply 49411/12/2013

R495, the Roxy was around for only 20 years or so. It makes no sense to set Follies at that location. Finocchio's at least had been around since 1936, and FYI, it was a drag revue so Beautiful Girls would still be about drag queens.

by Anonymousreply 49511/12/2013

R495 It should be about the closing of the Gaiety strip club!

by Anonymousreply 49611/12/2013

Doesn't MAME have to be...a tad...likable?

by Anonymousreply 49711/12/2013

It should be about the closing of the original Adonis porn theatre on 8th and 51st! Now that was a theatre with a rundown grandeur about it.

by Anonymousreply 49811/12/2013

OK this does have some funny bits.

by Anonymousreply 49911/13/2013

Just listened to the Far from Heaven recording. Ugh. And I say this as a huge fan of Grey Gardens. If you're just going to have random bursts of sung dialogue with the barest insinuations of a song why both writing a musical? With a few exceptions the whole thing sounds so lazy.

by Anonymousreply 50011/13/2013

Neither of The two On the Town Bway revivals played more than 75 performances The last one was great in the Park but fizzled when it moved indoors The producer doesnt care about making money just likes to see his name in lights and be eligible for Tonys

by Anonymousreply 50111/13/2013

[quote]It should be about the closing of the original Adonis porn theatre on 8th and 51st! Now that was a theatre with a rundown grandeur about it.

Yes--quite a place, really, even though the only time I was there I was about 18 and so freaked out I didn't partake in any of the activity. But lovely, in that faded way teenagers love to think they've discovered the beauty of all on their own.

by Anonymousreply 50211/13/2013

I really enjoyed Far From Heaven off-Broadway. Grey Gardens, not so much. Looking forward to listening to the score of Far from Heaven in a day or two. Understand it would be difficult if you had not seen the musical.

by Anonymousreply 50311/13/2013

Honeymoon in Vegas is having trouble landing a theater because the landlords have seen the Paper Mill production and are less than thrilled.

by Anonymousreply 50411/13/2013

Thank you, r500, you made my day!

by Anonymousreply 50511/13/2013

R499. The Adonis had "grandeur"? In what sense? It was a true fleapit. Lots of action everywhere. But grandeur? Nowhere.

by Anonymousreply 50611/13/2013

COMCAST is airing a vintage Howard Stern Show from 2008, with NPH as the guest.

He admitted to Howard that his first gay experience was when he was seduced by a male member of the Rent ensemble cast, and he was hooked.

by Anonymousreply 50711/13/2013

Admitted it, ey?

by Anonymousreply 50811/13/2013

The Adonis may have become a fleapit, but basically it was one of the more impressive theater spaces in the city. In its heyday it must have been spectacular.

by Anonymousreply 50911/13/2013

I saw Kathleen Turner in Fairway yesterday, looking great and not using her usual affected accent. The gal has lost a ton of weight, and was moving pretty well. I'd say she's ready to play Vera.

by Anonymousreply 51011/13/2013

[quote]I would think Cabaret and Les Miz would be ineligible for Best Revival as they are the same productions (with different actors) already seen on Broadway. But one never should second guess the Tony's yearly rulings.

Actually, the LES MIZ revival is a "new" production; new sets, new staging, no turntable. The previous revival was a reproduction of the original production. The fact that it got a Tony nomination for Best Revival bodes well for CABARET's chances.

by Anonymousreply 51111/13/2013

Anyone know if there was any interaction between obvious heterosexual Zachary Levi and the group of Broadway gays? Excuse me, Broadway bisexuals. Or did he mostly stick with his own gaggle of guys he brings with him everywhere? Or did they shun him because of First Date's general suck-itude?

by Anonymousreply 51211/13/2013

If you think Far From Heaven was weak, you should hear what they wrote for Finding Neverland. Ugh...

by Anonymousreply 51311/13/2013

[quote]The Adonis had "grandeur"? In what sense? It was a true fleapit. Lots of action everywhere. But grandeur? Nowhere.

To notice it you need to have gotten off your knees and looked around a bit. WHORE.

by Anonymousreply 51411/13/2013

[quote] I saw Kathleen Turner in Fairway yesterday

r511 what was she buying? We must KNOW

by Anonymousreply 51511/13/2013

Fleet Enemas!

by Anonymousreply 51611/13/2013

R515. But you were giving such great head, how could I?

by Anonymousreply 51711/13/2013

CCastrec-l peeps all goign a tizzy over Glenn Close MAME

by Anonymousreply 51811/13/2013

After hearing Close's Losing My Mind, it would be a travesty to hear her try to belt If He Walked Into My Life and It's Today.

by Anonymousreply 51911/13/2013

Every other year, Jerry Herman comes out with a new "favorite choice" for a MAME revival. It always leads nowhere. The same ill happen with Close.

by Anonymousreply 52011/13/2013

He come you never read about the Adonis in those "lost Broadway theaters" books? Had it only been a movie theater? It looked like it might have been an old vaudeville house.

by Anonymousreply 52111/14/2013

R522, it was originally the Tivoli.

by Anonymousreply 52211/14/2013

This article on the Adonis is riddled with stupid, careless writing/editing errors, but I think the facts are correct, and it's an interesting read.

by Anonymousreply 52311/14/2013

[quote]The Adonis had "grandeur"? In what sense? It was a true fleapit. Lots of action everywhere. But grandeur? Nowhere.

The Adonis aka The Tivoli, was the first motion picture theater in NYC to show the hardcore feature film "Mona" in 1971. It was the first non-documentary film to feature hardcore sex. The Tivoli in it's hey day was a first class theater and even had a roof top theater.

by Anonymousreply 52411/14/2013

So if they made a musical about the Adonis, how would the set designer replicate the nacreous layers of permacum?

by Anonymousreply 52511/14/2013

Kathleen was buying coffee when I spotted her.

by Anonymousreply 52611/14/2013

Spidey closing in January. Announced next week.

by Anonymousreply 52711/14/2013

It's been said, about The Adonis, during it's heyday you wouldn't sit under the balcony edge. If so, you'd get spewed upon by copious amounts of orgasmic cum from above!

by Anonymousreply 52811/14/2013

Where has everyone gone? My Thread Watcher hasn't budged all day.

by Anonymousreply 52911/14/2013

Has Wes Taylor seen the timid cock?

by Anonymousreply 53011/14/2013

does jesse21 still dance at The Ritz?

by Anonymousreply 53211/14/2013

[quote]Though Little Miss Sunshine has enjoyed some good word of mouth in this newest incarnation, Jesse21 hated it.

And they didn't close immediately?

by Anonymousreply 53311/14/2013

"KING KONG" one step closer to Broadway. And it'll be cheaper, they won't have to build a whole new puppet.

by Anonymousreply 53411/14/2013

Just listened to the Far from Heaven cast recording.

Sublime.

Easily some of the most harmonically sophisticated and well-written music written for the theater in many, many years.

by Anonymousreply 53511/14/2013

I just saw LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE last night!

Alas, there were very few hummable songs - it was mostly sung dialogue. That being said, the performances were all top-notch and the staging was incredibly clever.

Will is very handsome and while not a masterpiece, it is worth seeing, IMO.

by Anonymousreply 53611/14/2013

[quote]it was mostly sung dialogue

This is the problem I have with most musicals these days, certainly all the musicals coming out of the not-for-profits. They're not musicals. They're plays where people inexplicably sing their dialogue every now and then. There's no need for the songs to even be there.

by Anonymousreply 53711/14/2013

Did Karen Morrow ever play MAME?

by Anonymousreply 53811/14/2013

Theater is so dead there is no active Broadway SEx Thread, Fuckups of Broadway thread, Nastiest on Broadway thread, all dead

by Anonymousreply 53911/14/2013

Karen Morrow played everything, even Mabel in Mack & Mabel.

by Anonymousreply 54011/14/2013

She was the Caroline O'Connor of her day!

by Anonymousreply 54111/14/2013

Can we talk about how OLD audiences are outside of New York? I've been going to some stuff in DC recently, and I have been to regional theatre abroad, and it seems that the average age is about 65 now. Is this always the case? Do enough new people get into it and grow older, thus making up for it, or will there be a huge drop in attendance in 15 years when all of these 65 year olds are dying off?

by Anonymousreply 54211/14/2013

Little Miss Sunshine getting slapped by EVERYONE. Ikes. Missy Isssywood's ho-hum review is the best of the lot.

by Anonymousreply 54311/15/2013

There's a great Merv Griffin Show from 1977 in circulation, Broadway Belters was the theme.

Ethel Merman, Ann Miller, Dolores Gray and Karen Morrow, singing and dishing.

by Anonymousreply 54411/15/2013

The Sondheim show at Encores! has Jeremy Jordan as Buddy, singing to Bernadette Peters as Sally . . . WTF?

by Anonymousreply 54511/15/2013

R540. DL now stands for Dead List. Haven't you noticed?

by Anonymousreply 54611/15/2013

While 12N is fine, especially Rylance, R3 is pure crap. Is Rylance playing retarded? And both are 3 hours long. Cute the clowning in the former and all the historical name-dropping in the latter.

by Anonymousreply 54711/15/2013

I was in bear heaven watching Daniel Stewart Sherman in a wifebeater in Kinky Boots. Has he always been so heavy? I've seen him in other shows and don't remember him having such a big belly.

by Anonymousreply 54811/15/2013

[quote]The Sondheim show at Encores! has Jeremy Jordan as Buddy, singing to Bernadette Peters as Sally . . . WTF?

I've said it before, Sondeimites are crazy. How many of these "revues" of his music are they going to come up with until one sticks? His shows don't run more than a year, so they concoct a show with all his dreary ugly music and expect crowds.

by Anonymousreply 54911/15/2013

R550. With this one, they're being very smart. It's an extremely limited run, so of course it can't make money. And it's mostly old Sondheim rearranged for jazz performance at high prices.

by Anonymousreply 55011/15/2013

And who doesn't want to hear Bernadette sing jazz? Actual jazz musicians must be laughing already.

And Betty Buckley must be beside herself, since Sondheim slammed her for "doing too much" to his music in performance; now we've got an approved revue where the whole point is to "do too much" to the music. That greedy old man is becoming really tiresome.

by Anonymousreply 55111/15/2013

R545 And some people STILL deny Merv was gay.

by Anonymousreply 55211/15/2013

R543 - Interesting point. I, too, have seen quite a bit of theatre around the country in recent years. Very old audiences! The generation that accepted theatre as a vital and necessary part of society are getting old. There won't be any theatre in another 20 years or so. There are exceptions , of course - Austin, Tx comes to mind as a place with young enthusiastic audiences - but the money needed for producing --that generation is going, going, gone.

by Anonymousreply 55311/15/2013

Huh? for r555

by Anonymousreply 55411/15/2013

R555 hasn't noticed there haven't been any good reviews for LMS.

by Anonymousreply 55511/15/2013

Do the composers of the Far From Heaven musical credit Elmer Bernstein in any way? Most of the score sounds like a rip-off of his score from the film, in some cases it's completely plagiarised. They "borrow" pretty shamelessly.

by Anonymousreply 55611/15/2013

[quote]Huh? for [R555]

He's talking about the film of "Little Miss Sunshine". Every year a small independent film arrives to raves from the critics and crowds flock only to be disappointed, like "Juno" or "Lost in Translation" or "Black Swan". And Alan Arkin was nothing special, it was a career Oscar over Eddie Murphy, who deserved it.

by Anonymousreply 55711/15/2013

So who has seen Macbeth starring Ethan Hawke?

by Anonymousreply 55811/15/2013

R560. Not many people seem to have seen all of Hawke's performance. TC has gone on endlessly about how rotten his performance is. In fact, they're planning a Tony week luncheon around its lousiness.

by Anonymousreply 55911/15/2013

r 558 That's not true at all; go back to Kinky Boots and be gone!

by Anonymousreply 56011/15/2013

The other day I got an email from an acquaintance who is a small time Broadway producer. He was looking for investors interested in putting money into the Bryan Cranston play All the Way.

I was surprised as I would have thought that show, after 2 productions and star casting would be capitalized by now. It just goes to show that even when shows announce they are moving to Broadway, nothing is certain until a theater is named.

by Anonymousreply 56111/15/2013

[quote]And some people STILL deny Merv was gay.

Some of us have our reasons.

by Anonymousreply 56211/15/2013

Once and for all, my father was not gay!

by Anonymousreply 56311/15/2013

Theater is dead.

Thank you and good night.

by Anonymousreply 56411/15/2013

Do we really want a MATILDA movie?

by Anonymousreply 56511/15/2013

Far from Home was so boring. It was like watching paint dry. I kept hoping Kelli O'Hara would go into labor so it would end. I can't think of anything I'd enjoy less than listening to that album.

by Anonymousreply 56611/15/2013

[quote]Do we really want a MATILDA movie?

Some of us do.

by Anonymousreply 56711/15/2013

LOL R568, I agree.

So here is the Broadway line-up for the Thanksgiving Day Parade:

The cast of the Tony-winning revival of Pippin has joined the line-up for the 87th Annual Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade, which will be broadcast live on NBC Nov. 28 9 AM-noon ET; check local listings.

The company is scheduled to perform Stephen Schwartz's "Corner of the Sky" and "Magic to Do."

Attendees can also expect to enjoy performances from the Radio City Rockettes as well as Broadway's Matilda and Motown: The Musical.

The first hour of the national broadcast will feature a special appearance by Carrie Underwood and members of the cast of NBC’s upcoming The Sound of Music Live!

by Anonymousreply 56811/15/2013

I'd prefer Ann Miller as The Grim Reaper.

by Anonymousreply 56911/15/2013

Latest press release from Bullets over Broadway never mentions Marin Mazzie's name. WTF is going on? What's holding up the announcement?

by Anonymousreply 57011/15/2013

Well, what's the point of mentioning her name? Ain't gonna sell any tickets.

by Anonymousreply 57111/15/2013

What R573 said. Nobody gives a fuck about Marin Mazzie. Her name doesn't exactly light up Broadway.. there are no stars left.

by Anonymousreply 57211/15/2013

Is it true Betty got dressed up on Halloween nd wheeled herself through the Dakota halls pleading for handouts?

by Anonymousreply 57311/15/2013

A friend reports from London of the disaster that is the Shady Pines version of Much Ado About Nothing. Apparently even Redgrave (several years younger than James Earl Jones) is far too doddery for a serious Beatrice. Please call me ageist, just realistic. Why not set Mark Rylance loose on that play?

by Anonymousreply 57411/15/2013

Is Gentleman's Guide ever going to open? Is it that show's success or lack thereof that's preventing the assignation of any available theaters to the many shows out there still looking? Is there some sort of domino effect at play?

Are there seriously any other shows currently running that could close in time to allow a new show to move in before Tony deadline? I'm assuming Janis Joplin at The Lyceum is one of them.

What show gets The Imperial when Billy closes?

by Anonymousreply 57511/15/2013

Gentlemen's Guide was always scheduled to open this Sunday- a normal preview period (R577)

Also, it's in the smallish Walter Kerr so it's hardly keeping any of the discussed musicals from finding a home. It will need raves to make it to Tony time.

Les Miserables has the Imperial in the March.

Shows that will/could close to allow another show to open before the Tonys? Many. January and February are always full of closings.

by Anonymousreply 57611/15/2013

[quote] It will need raves to make it to Tony time.

It'll need raves to make it to January 5th. It'll need a miracle to make it to the Tonys.

by Anonymousreply 57711/15/2013

I've seen MacBeth. Ethan's the weakest link. John Glover is the standout.

by Anonymousreply 57811/15/2013

"Is it true Betty got dressed up on Halloween and wheeled herself through the Dakota halls pleading for handouts?"

Would you believe the bitch was dressed as Paul McCartney?

by Anonymousreply 57911/15/2013

I heard Betty didn't even have to hire a fancy costume to go trick-or-treating. The bunny slippers gave her away. Word is she's determined to replace Tovah in Pippin.

by Anonymousreply 58011/15/2013

Love Miss Betty Buckley, but who the fuck is going to be holding her from the trapeze?!?!? I mean, unless Patina, Terrence, and Charlotte plan on getting on that trapeze, too, I can't see Miss Betty as the new Berthe. Go for Beth Leavel, maybe. Or better, Pat LuPone.

by Anonymousreply 58111/15/2013

Pat Lupone played the director in Chorus Line, right?

by Anonymousreply 58211/15/2013

We're not talking about Betty Lynn, we're talking about Betty Perske.

by Anonymousreply 58311/15/2013

Watching Hugh Jackman in a PBS rerun of the NT's Oklahoma right now.

Whoever thought he could sing?? He may have looked purty but he is consistently flat. His throat sounds so constricted.

by Anonymousreply 58411/15/2013

It didn't Jerry Orbach any harm.

by Anonymousreply 58511/15/2013

Marian Mazzie in Bullets Over Broadway? Oh no. She'll make another classic role bland and boring. Her only good quality was her perky dirty pillows back in Passion days. (they sagged quickly though)

by Anonymousreply 58611/15/2013

The only intense/angry version of My Heart Belongs To Daddy I've ever heard was by Marin Mazzie. And she was singing with a regular orchestration. It was odd.

by Anonymousreply 58711/15/2013

is her marriage to Daniely real or a beard arrangement

by Anonymousreply 58811/15/2013

I'm sort of LOL-ing at the idea of an angry "My Heart Belongs to Daddy"... like the singer was the childhood victim of sexual abuse by her father, and the song is her vehicle for revealing it... Sounds like a real show-stopper!

by Anonymousreply 58911/15/2013

God, but Curley McLaine is a real asshole. What a fucking prig.

by Anonymousreply 59011/15/2013

Helen Sinclair should go to Donna Murphy.

But what about her reputation for calling in s(DON'T SPEAK)k..?

by Anonymousreply 59111/15/2013

Just got in from Gentlemen's Guide. Sorry to report it's a complete disappointment. Jefferson Mays works hard and is very good in his various roles but the rest of the cast is merely serviceable and the score simply never takes flight. My friend (a critic who invited me to be her date for the evening) and I were both very let down as we'd both been so looking forward to seeing it all week.

Can't see it making it past January (or even end of the year to be honest), though I can see Mays being the sole Tony nom the show might eek out come next spring (provided five other more memorable performances don't come along before then).

by Anonymousreply 59211/15/2013

Marin Mazzie was announced for Bullets at least three weeks ago. Why all this chatter now like she's still "in the running"? It's hers.

And as much as I'd like to believe she's bearing for Jason, she's not.

by Anonymousreply 59311/15/2013

I hope the next thread, #126, has a quiet opening to reflect the current season, without all of the tired theatrical flourish.

by Anonymousreply 59411/16/2013

she still hasn't been officially announced r595 and no she isn't bearing for Jason. She is barren.

by Anonymousreply 59511/16/2013

When the person starts #126, please start a sex thread as well, please.

by Anonymousreply 59611/16/2013

Marin "announced?" In what remaining journal? Betty P in bunny slippers in Pippin? OMG. To this we've come. Roll on #126. We need you!

by Anonymousreply 59711/16/2013

The next one.

by Anonymousreply 59811/16/2013

Isn't Betty P. a little old to be hanging from the rafters? Maybe they can get Juliette Binoche instead.

by Anonymousreply 59911/16/2013
Need more help? Click Here.