Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The hottest new restaurant in NYC

Is a biscuit shop.

No kidding.

People it seems lined up for more than a block to get a biscuit on opening day, causing the place to go through a week's worth of food in hours.

Fuck cupcakes, biscuits are king now.

....and just who is the chef behind the brilliance. Though largely absent from the press as the owners seem to want to hog it all is the Food Stamp Chef Karl Wilder, now a biscuit King.

I live in the East Village and those who got a precious bite are talking about his lamb ham, jowl jam, and fried chicken. I hate to admit this, but if the lines keep up more than a week, I may stand in line...yes just for a frigging biscuit.

Sorry if that makes me a lemming.

by Anonymousreply 6811/09/2013

I saw this on Gothamist yesterday. It looks really good and extremely fattening. Fortunately for my waistline, I live and work in Brooklyn so it won't be a temptation.

by Anonymousreply 111/02/2013

I live in the East Village as well. I am not at all interested in eating this or waiting in line. Let me know what you think and if it's worth it.

by Anonymousreply 211/02/2013

Eat The Street just did a show in Asheville. One of the places they went to makes "cats head" biscuits for sandwiches. Chuck, the hottie host, raved over them. Also, Biscuit Head in Asheville has incredible biscuit sandwiches made with locally sourced ingredients.

Try to keep up, New York.

by Anonymousreply 311/02/2013

The new New York has gotten so weird.

Today's NYer lines up to pay exorbitant amounts to eat poor people's food, the same food that, without the media hype or fancy trappings, they'd look down their nose and act as if you'd placed a steaming turd in front of them.

Keep lining up for biscuits and cronuts, NYers! The headline reads "Empire Biscuit Is Overwhelmed by Customer Demand" but you know it translates as "NY is ovah!"

by Anonymousreply 411/02/2013

Guarantee that French MFer is now attempting to create a croiscuit to compete.

by Anonymousreply 511/02/2013

RIP NYC

by Anonymousreply 611/02/2013

This is what happens when you push out real NYers in favor of transplants.

by Anonymousreply 711/02/2013

It is annoying, R4, and I sometimes question whether I even belong here anymore. Have no interest in cronuts but I do like biscuits!

by Anonymousreply 811/02/2013

No, r7. Actually, New York has always been a city of transplants and immigrants. I's one of the things that once made it great.

This is what happens when a city gets so expensive that only people with money can live there.

Fran Lebowitz put it well:

by Anonymousreply 911/02/2013

Those clips are great R9. I like the one where she talks about smoking vs. being gay.

by Anonymousreply 1011/02/2013

NYC is full of easily-duped rubes.

by Anonymousreply 1111/02/2013

What the hell is "lamb ham"?

by Anonymousreply 1211/02/2013

Listen, I always thought the whole cupcake craze was idiotic. But if Datalounge went along with the cupcakes, we can't be surprised that biscuits are next.

by Anonymousreply 1311/02/2013

So true R11. If these biscuit and cronut places had first popped up in Dayton or Omaha or Tulsa instead of NYC, New Yorkers would be sneering and laughing at the silly and unsophisticated flyovers.

by Anonymousreply 1411/02/2013

BUT WHAT ABOUT ME!?!?!?!??!?!?

by Anonymousreply 1511/02/2013

Wow, you original, organic New Yorkers will follow any trend, huh?

Is there such a thing as a New Yorker who thinks for himself anymore? I guess not.

Dommage, New York, c'est provincial.

by Anonymousreply 1611/02/2013

R14, I'm a Brooklynite and even we laugh at the idiots waiting for cronuts, as we would if it was occurring anywhere else.

This isn't about geography, it's about a bunch of fools waiting for hours in line for what amounts to deep-fried (or in this case, baked) flour. And those fools come from everywhere, incl. Dayton, Omaha and Tulsa. And the Tri-state area.

by Anonymousreply 1711/02/2013

Do doughnuts know their time is ovah?

by Anonymousreply 1811/02/2013

Do they do chocolate digestives? Rich tea?

by Anonymousreply 1911/02/2013

It is strange. 20 years ago, food from a truck was candy or ice cream after school or a hot dog and soda at the park while my dad played softball. Now there are food trucks all over Manhattan and people can't wait to buy the mostly overpriced food.

On the other hand, I do like biscuits...

by Anonymousreply 2011/02/2013

Right, r17. When it happens in NY, it's about foolish people everywhere.

But as that poster pointed out, if this happened in any other place, NYers would go to all ends to make it about that place and how NY is so above it all.

by Anonymousreply 2111/02/2013

I miss Stefon and his take on what the hottest club in NYC is. Bring back Bill Hader, who's already disappeared from sight.

by Anonymousreply 2211/02/2013

[quote]Right, [R17]. When it happens in NY, it's about foolish people everywhere.

What is your problem aside from being a little too sensitive?

Yes, it is about foolish people everywhere because we have people all over the place who act like idiots over "stuff." Black Friday would be another example or those bridal gown "running of the frauen."

[quote]But as that poster pointed out, if this happened in any other place, NYers would go to all ends to make it about that place and how NY is so above it all.

You understand "Manhattanites" even do that to places like Brooklyn, right? Who cares? I think it's funny. Jesus, why don't you just laugh it off. I view people like that as a parody of a real NYer.

by Anonymousreply 2311/02/2013

Ugh. A friend of mine who has been living in NYC the last 5 years came to visit me in London recently. She was once a charming, witty girl now she's a competitive, self-obsessed narcissist who spent most of the time treating me like I was a visitor in the city I've lived in for 18 years. So annoying, I couldn't wait to get rid of her. She lines up for shit like this. It's all she's got.

NYC is full of transplanted wannabes. It's been over for about 15 years at least. It will never see a renaissance.

by Anonymousreply 2411/02/2013

"What is your problem?"

I wouldn't really define it as a problem, r23, but in answer to your question, I've been irked by the facile snobbery of NYers on this site, and I'm just having a laugh pointing out the irony and hypocrisy when something like this hits the news, as it seems to more and more.

What the hell is YOUR problem, besides being a little over sensitive?

by Anonymousreply 2511/02/2013

[quote]"Manhattanites" even do that to places like Brooklyn

Yes. Because Brooklyn is such an unpretentious place. What a shame it's so often the target of those affected, snitty posers in Manhattan!

by Anonymousreply 2611/02/2013

People who live in Brooklyn always sound like they have something to prove - It takes me 15 minutes on the subway to get anywhere in Manhattan!

They just work too hard at making it sound like Brooklyn is some haven. (Like anyone who lives in Manhattan cares, really...)

by Anonymousreply 2711/02/2013

R25, why would it even irk you is my point? And I sure as hell am anything but sensitive.

[quote]Yes. Because Brooklyn is such an unpretentious place. What a shame it's so often the target of those affected, snitty posers in Manhattan!

At least if you came over here to wait in line, it'd be for some damned good pizza. Stay for our hospitality.

[quote]People who live in Brooklyn always sound like they have something to prove - It takes me 15 minutes on the subway to get anywhere in Manhattan!

You must be talking about the hipsters because I've never done this.

[quote]They just work too hard at making it sound like Brooklyn is some haven.

How does one "work too hard" to make it sound like a haven? Sweetheart, live where you want and be happy.

[quote](Like anyone who lives in Manhattan cares, really...)

Told you, people. Some are a parody of a NYer at this point. I like to refer to it as pseudo-supercilious.

by Anonymousreply 2811/02/2013

[quote] And those fools come from everywhere, incl. Dayton, Omaha and Tulsa. And the Tri-state area.

Yep, the very same flyover people that New Yorkers detest are now your friends and neighbors.

Keep defending all you want, r17, but r25 is right. New Yorkers look down their nose at "flyover" country every day here on Datalounge. How funny that New York has proven itself to become one of the world's most generic cities.

Which is a shame because NYC was the greatest city up until about 20 years ago.

Never thought I'd see the day when my city, Philadelphia, could look down on the frivolity of our big fat sister city 90 miles north of us. Of course, 200 years ago Philly was the New York City of its time. Every dog has its day, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 2911/02/2013

WTF was Fran Liebovitz yammering on about? Just STFU and show us your photos!!!

by Anonymousreply 3011/02/2013

[quote]why would it even irk you is my point?

Because it's irksome behavior. Like many people, I'm irked by facile snobbery. Deal.

[quote]And I sure as hell am anything but sensitive.

Really? Your defensive and repetitive posts seem to suggest otherwise.

Well, you're not the first DL-NYer to walk around with a self-image that's miles away from the reality of how others see you, but do carry on.

by Anonymousreply 3111/02/2013

Stupidest fucking thing I've come across in a while (now that Ted Cruz is keeping a low profile). It's also a twisted, bourgeoisie/hipster douchebag take on standing in a bread line. Pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 3211/02/2013

Only here can we argue about fucking biscuits. Let's get back on topic..

Biscuits are delicious.

Alton Brown visited a local hole-in-the-wall on Best Thing I Ever Ate in Marietta GA for lunch, relishing Jake's Sloppy Burger. The whispers got louder, so I went.

Turns out they are wall-to-wall every morning with people in line for one of their biscuits. I stood in a short line last weekend and took home fried chicken and sausage biscuits.

Yum yum yum.

We had a pot of coffee and some good weed and then ate the hell out of those buttery treats. They are in a large square shape, so you get to crunch on the crispy corners.

Not open for dinner. Cash only. Pictures of the stunning cashier with Bobby Flay on the wall. In the interest of full disclosure, there was a picture with Guy Fieri as well.

Near Kennestone Hospital and the entrance to the Kennesaw Battlefield Park.

by Anonymousreply 3311/02/2013

What did I state that could be described as either defensive or sensitive?

You think I'm not self-aware, that's fine. My overall point was geography alone does not determine behavior or attitude because you'll find 'irksome' types everywhere, and when it comes to putting down "flyover," yes, I do... but only when it comes to politics. When I see that great big patch of red covering the map come election day, that sure as hell "irks" me. Other than that, love much of it.

[quote]Well, you're not the first DL-NYer to walk around with a self-image that's miles away from the reality of how others see you, but do carry on.

You're right, because in reality, I've had people tell me I have the accent of a hitman and the manners of a southern gentleman.

Enjoy your afternoon.

by Anonymousreply 3411/02/2013

For the record, I live in DC and there is always a line in front of Georgetown bakery. Disregard the fact that infinitely better cupcake places are within walking distance and never as packed (Baked & Wired, Sprinkles)...a subset of easily-influenced yokels will always crave what their betters tell them to crave.

by Anonymousreply 3511/02/2013

great post, R4!!

and so true

except for the 'ovah' part

by Anonymousreply 3611/02/2013

obsession with trendiness and obsession with the new....

due to boredom and a desire to be entertained by novelty

and wanting to be in on whatever is deemed desirable

by Anonymousreply 3711/02/2013

Fuck that, I'll make my own biscuits!

Anyone care to share a favorite recipe?

by Anonymousreply 3811/02/2013

[all posts by tedious, racist idiot removed.]

by Anonymousreply 3911/02/2013

[quote]I've had people tell me I have the accent of a hitman and the manners of a southern gentleman.

That's really a wonderful compliment, by the way.

by Anonymousreply 4011/02/2013

Gourmet pork rinds are now all the rage. Do keep up, people.

by Anonymousreply 4111/03/2013

Lamb Ham would be ham made from lamb and not pork, what is so hard about that?

by Anonymousreply 4211/03/2013

Now I want a biscuit.

by Anonymousreply 4311/03/2013

42. Why would anyone make ham from lamb? Boy, is that dumb.

by Anonymousreply 4411/03/2013

I assume the lamb ham is for the jews and muslims.

Anyway...doorman today. Sneak opening. I only stood in line for about 15 minutes and then had what was probably the best fried chicken of my life. Spicy with orange sauce and they make their own hot sauce.

Great caffeine free Cola...home made.

Yes, lines, but yes worth it.

I wanted to meet the chef but he was too busy.

by Anonymousreply 4511/03/2013

Still not getting "lamb ham". There's already turkey ham for those who don't eat pork. And turkey has a neutral flavor that can be adapted to give it a ham flavor. The same cannot be said of lamb.

Is it perhaps called lamb ham because it comes from the same part of the body on a lamb as ham does from a pig?

by Anonymousreply 4611/03/2013

[quote]Only here can we argue about fucking biscuits. Let's get back on topic..

[quote]Biscuits are delicious.

I don't think many people deny that. I bet the food at this place is delicious (if you like that type of food).

But, I can't help but agree that if this happened anywhere else, because the food is fattening, it would be endlessly mocked and derided on DL.

by Anonymousreply 4711/03/2013

I don't know what you are not getting. Lamb is cured in salt and sugar just like ham and then smoked. Lamb Ham. VASTLY superior to turkey ham. I hear lamb bacon is coming.

by Anonymousreply 4811/03/2013

R48 OK, I get it. But why not beef ham? I mean, there's already corned beef and pastrami, but I've never heard of beef ham.

by Anonymousreply 4911/03/2013

Beef does not have the same oomph when cured. It becomes pastrami or corned, it does not get ham like.

Lamb works...enough said.

by Anonymousreply 5011/04/2013

Who is the idiot who can't understand lamb ham? Seriously....

WTF is wrong with you.

...and now back to biscuits.

by Anonymousreply 5111/04/2013

here...

by Anonymousreply 5211/04/2013

"New" New Yorkers, especially students from Bumfuck USA sustain these crazes of cheap food because they cannot, and most likely will not, be able to afford the restaurants the better, wealthier classes still frequent.

The media, which now includes unpaid bloggers, breathlessly write about it since talking about real news will not bring ratings, or website "clicks". Then Al and Matt gush about a biscuit or cronut and the rest of America is fascinated.

Rinse and repeat.

As long as you understand this then all will be fine.

by Anonymousreply 5311/04/2013

Old New Yorker here and I love some of the crazes. I don't want to spend a lot of money on a meal when I am running to the theatre or coming out late.

These little specialty places like Artichoke Pizza or Ban Mih sandwaich shops fill the bill.

Biscuits...why not, when I am in the area I will try it.

by Anonymousreply 5411/04/2013

The South is rising. Southern food and culture is becoming the most popular segment of American life. Conde Nast Traveler readers' poll has once again named Charleston, SC the #1 city in the US and #4 in the world. As a proud Charlestonian I say keep your dirty, expensive, aggressive NY and I'll remain in my beautiful, friendly city.

by Anonymousreply 5511/04/2013

Recent article about people in London lining up. In the comments below the article, people pretty much think they are losers and suckers (and probably not from London).

by Anonymousreply 5611/04/2013

In your dreams r55. However your taking pride in the results of a "Conde Nast readers poll" is touching.

by Anonymousreply 5711/04/2013

R57 - angry, depressed New Yorker living in a tiny, filthy apartment.

by Anonymousreply 5811/04/2013

Lamb no longer has that peculiar "lamb" flavor that so many people hate. The flavor has been made generic enough so it just takes like any other kind of meat. Another mistake: organic hamburger. Unless the meat is flavored to death with garlic and other spices, it tastes horrible.

by Anonymousreply 5911/04/2013

The Conde Nast list is voted on by old white straight people. Who gives a fuck what they think?

by Anonymousreply 6011/04/2013

[quote]the better, wealthier classes still frequent.

Dear toxic Edith Wharton-wannabe gay ghetto queen,

Please die in a polenta fire.

by Anonymousreply 6111/04/2013

R59 You clearly have no taste or personal issues. Organic beef has 10 times the flavor of the corn fed shit you get at the grocery.

by Anonymousreply 6211/05/2013

People will line up anywhere if the food is good.

by Anonymousreply 6311/07/2013

R62. Organic may have ten times the flavor of ordinary beeef, but it's a peculiar, unlovable taste that turns me off. Go fuck yourself.

by Anonymousreply 6411/07/2013

R63. People will line up anywhere they are told to line up. It has little to do with the quality of the food, more likely the cachet of being seen. Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 6511/07/2013

R64 you like bad food, don't get upset. Just enjoy the shit you eat.

by Anonymousreply 6611/07/2013

Fuck this shit, I'm not waiting on line for food, what is this a soup kitchen? I refuse to go to these "trendy" places, including hot restaurants that don't take reservations. Life is too short. If the place is THAT good, it'll still be good when it's no longer hip.

Am I getting old?

by Anonymousreply 6711/07/2013

The line was not long today. No worse than Starbucks.

However....the sausage gravy...OMG!

by Anonymousreply 6811/09/2013
Need more help? Click Here.