Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Racial Hatred in the 60s

Does anyone here know about it? I'm watching American Horror Story, and this poor kid is hanged. WTF. I can't believe that happened just 50 years ago. I'm a Millennial, and like all my friends are of different backgrounds (race, sexuality, socioeconomic status). This is really F'd up!

by Anonymousreply 3311/03/2013

All I can say is that he must have deserved it.

by Anonymousreply 111/02/2013

Millennials are different from many former generations. The history of racism is not fictional. Those who resist change are mostly older, frightened people who resist change. They turn to groups like the Tea Party, but their past will never be resurrected.

by Anonymousreply 211/02/2013

As I recall, it was mainly fear and if there was hatred, it was hatred of being made afraid.

by Anonymousreply 311/02/2013

[quote]Millennials are different from many former generations. The history of racism is not fictional. Those who resist change are mostly older, frightened people who resist change.

Every generation feels this way. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

I was born in 1957. I thought racism would be wiped out when my parents generation passed on.

I was horrified when I met kids in college who used the N word. I remember looking at them and saying, "but you're young!".

by Anonymousreply 411/02/2013

It's just awful and really sad. I saw The Help, so I know a bit, and of course we learned about like slavery. But this is horrible. I looked up "lynching" - you know what that is, right? OMG, WTF. It's so evil. It's like I can't imagine slavery existed - it's like that with all this racial hatred. How the F was it allowed or whatever. F'D UP!! :(

by Anonymousreply 511/02/2013

R2 simply doesn't know what he is talking about. What garbage. We Millenials are DIFFERENT!

No you are not.

We boomers gave the world rock and roll, LSD, Quaaludes, more LSD, free love, hippies, flower children, arena rock, civil rights, the feminist movement, woodstock, bell bottomed jeans and Herbie the Love Bug. If there ever was a generation more inclinded to change the world, it was us Boomers.

Now look at us. We are all Republican CEOs, with two McMansions and yacht in the harbor.

You are no different. Do not believe you are different. Never believe you are different.

by Anonymousreply 611/02/2013

Well, R6 is correct in that the Boomers did very little to correct racism, homophobia, and economic inequality. But I have higher hopes for younger people.

by Anonymousreply 711/02/2013

R7, are you kidding? Look at what life was like in the 40s. The Boomers made a lot of changes in this country. Good changes. The changing will never quit. Each generation flies its own flag.

by Anonymousreply 811/02/2013

How can R7 say Boomers did very little to correct racism? Have you not learned of the civil rights act of the 60s? The demolition of Jim Crow laws? Integration? Banishment of racially segregated communities? Racial advocacy in employment and education?

Nothing about Homophobia? Who started the gay movement? The Mattachine society in the 50s and then Stonewall in the 60s. The first gay pride parade was in NYC in 1969.

Economic equality? The evolution of social security, Medicare, Medicaid, food assistance, housing for the poor and much much more.

Who do you think started all this? You little snot nosed Millenials? What have you done? Who are your leaders?

by Anonymousreply 911/02/2013

R2 here. I am a boomer also, and not a Republican or McMansion owner. I'm reflecting on the very many young people I have met and read about. Not the same attitudes as existed growing up in the 50's and 60's. I also live adjacent to a college campus, and don't see or feel the same negativity about others that existed before. It isn't perfect, but I certainly perceive change.

by Anonymousreply 1011/02/2013

Oh, great. Bitchfight between dizzy-idiot Millennials and Geritol-age Baby Boomers. Someone get some flannel-wearing Gen X kids in here and let's *really* get the party started!

OP, to answer your question: yes, there was still a significant amount of racial animus in the '60s, but actual lynchings were nearly extinct by then. I haven't started watching AHS yet this year, but I assume by your description that the show's events are roughly referencing the infamous "Freedom Summer murders" of 1964 (see link), which to my knowledge was the last time anyone got lynched in this country.

by Anonymousreply 1111/02/2013

R5 says he "saw The Help, so he knows a bit".

Does anyone else see the hilarity in that comment? How lame is this generation?

by Anonymousreply 1211/02/2013

What people don't take into account is that there were so many young people in the 60s, and even then the majority were not radicals or hippies. Far from that.

There were a lot of 'weekend-hippies' who were into the flowerpower thing, simply because it was fashionable and most young people back then didn't even fall into the "weekend hippie" category, they were just regular kids like today. Taking this into account, it's not hard to comprehend why the majority of boomers ended up as Reagan-voting 'squares' in the 80s. Most people who, for instance, actively participated in communal live back then always remained true to their ideals.

This counts for every generation: you have a majority who want nothing more from life than a car, partner & kids, house in the suburbs and a steady job (nothing wrong with that btw). They're not interested in "changing the world". The reason why boomers accomplished the changes in society, was because the number of "radicals" was far higher back then (because there were so many young people in the first place: i.e. statistics), than it is today. If another baby-boom would occur in the next following years, the same thing will happen twenty years from now.

by Anonymousreply 1311/02/2013

Racial hatred ended when Halle won

by Anonymousreply 1411/02/2013

From what I've observed, the great majority of americans simply refuse to grow, mentally. I observe them daily in this large city in the Top 6 in population. New generations don't have the training about different races and skin color. Even in church, it can get ridiculous. Not long ago, I wore a lavender shirt to church. Had no statement to make; it was just a shirt. A young, burly blond guy took a seat in front of me. When it came time to exchange greetings, he refused to acknowledge my presence. My reaction: Said to myself, "OH BROTHER!" People naturally hate who they don't know, and they pre-judge based on their negative experiences. They don't try to overcome their ignorance about race and/or ethnicity.

by Anonymousreply 1511/02/2013

That is interesting R15. Was that a catholic service where you are supposed turn around and give everyone the sign of peace?

by Anonymousreply 1611/02/2013

You funny white boy!

by Anonymousreply 1811/02/2013

R15, what was the significance in his mind of the lavender? I don't get it.

by Anonymousreply 1911/02/2013

R19, it is silly but some people feel it is inappropriate for church wear. For instance, here is OP after the traditional "being reborn" baptism.

by Anonymousreply 2011/02/2013

r20 Yowza!!!!! I feel the power.

by Anonymousreply 2111/02/2013

[quote]Millennials are different from many former generations.

Shut up, Jayden. Millennials have not cured racism. See link.

by Anonymousreply 2211/02/2013

bump bitty bump bump

by Anonymousreply 2311/02/2013

Now we just have Rachel hatred.

by Anonymousreply 2411/02/2013

OP, I responded the same way as you when I first found out about the Holocaust. It was incomprehensible, shocking and confusing. I just couldn't understand it.

by Anonymousreply 2511/02/2013

millennialis are different in the fact that they are probably the first generation with little to no information about the generations that proceeded them. Which is wired when you think about how the internet has made information more accessible than ever. I guess with the barrage of daily information the brain has to process, learning history falls by the wayside. You just get the highlights - slavery, holocaust, et al.

OP yes black people were lynched and murdered for being black through the 60s. There is a black man named James Byrd who was dragged to his death behind a pickup truck in Texas in just 1998, your life time. Slavery was made illegal in Mississippi just this year.

Horrific things happened and will occasionally still happen. It's important to know your history so the past doesn't repeat itself.

by Anonymousreply 2611/02/2013

[quote]It's just awful and really sad. I saw The Help, so I know a bit, and of course we learned about like slavery. But this is horrible. I looked up "lynching" - you know what that is, right? OMG, WTF. It's so evil. It's like I can't imagine slavery existed - it's like that with all this racial hatred. How the F was it allowed or whatever. F'D UP!! :(

I know, right?

I mean...like, Oh my Gosh!

by Anonymousreply 2711/03/2013

A friend tells the story of being in the Air Force stationed in Alabama. The base was a ways from town. A black airman and himself decided to go to town and share a cab. He called for a cab and the dispatcher asked if he wanted a black or a white cab. He was an innocent from another place and said he didn't care.

The cab driver came and it was a white's only cab, who would not let the black airman ride, so they both declined. A mild story compared to many, but this was a black US service member. Shame shame shame if you ask me.

Dallas had segregated restrooms and drinking fountains at the time of Kennedy's assassination.

by Anonymousreply 2811/03/2013

R6 & R9??

Boomers didn't kill Jim Crow. People in my parents' generation did. My parents were born two years before MLK. LBJ was born in 1908. So was Thurgood Marshall.

Get your facts straight. Jesus.

by Anonymousreply 2911/03/2013

R26 is right. Millennials have only the vaguest idea about anything that happened prior to around 1980.

by Anonymousreply 3011/03/2013

I just troll-dar'd R6 / R9 and he is all over this thread, dripping with condescension toward anyone born after 1960. I really can't stand that sort of attitude, and most times it seems to come from people who aren't even particularly well-informed or educated themselves, as R29 just demonstrated. Sharing personal experience is one thing; looking down one's nose at people and taking pleasure in belittling others' perceived lack of knowledge is quite another. What a pompous blowhard.

by Anonymousreply 3111/03/2013

So what should happen NOW to white people in 2013 as a result of the past 150 years of our forbearers racism in America?

by Anonymousreply 3211/03/2013

"millennialis are different in the fact that they are probably the first generation with little to no information about the generations that proceeded them."

It's not that they don't have the information R26...they're just too narcissistic to give a shit.

by Anonymousreply 3311/03/2013
Need more help? Click Here.