Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What shutdown? scandal re-writes history.

The constant daily bashing of the site is fast replacing the government shutdown as the scandal of 2013. I fear it is doing more for republicans than they could ever do themselves.

by Anonymousreply 5211/08/2013

Which is a clear sign that either they arranged it or it was arranged on their behalf.

by Anonymousreply 111/01/2013

The website problems will get fixed, but the shutdown is part of history. The polling still shows Pubbies with the lowest approval ratings since the began polling: just 22% approve of them. They looked like fools when Sebelius took responsibility for the website. And when this is over, they'll shut down the government again in January just to remind the American people what buffoons they are.

Dems can take a dep breath and wait for it to play out.

by Anonymousreply 211/02/2013

Not a chance. People still have months to enroll at the site and they fully understand that technology always has its bugs and annoyances.

The shutdown, however, was pathetic, childish brinksmanship for which there is no understanding or excuse. AND THEY VOTED TO KEEP GETTING THEIR PAYCHECKS.

I don't know about you, but here in Iowa people are disgusted that politicians took our money while refusing to do their jobs. People with a Protestant work ethic strongly resent those politicians and we won't soon forget this insult.

by Anonymousreply 311/02/2013

Right. And now the Republicans are suddenly sane, Ted Cruz will disappear, and the House will focus on immigration reform and a jobs bill—not the 45th repeal of the ACA and various 19th century social issues.

by Anonymousreply 411/02/2013

the OP of this thread cracks me up!

what a moron.

by Anonymousreply 611/02/2013

R7 - Nonsense.

There are lots of government functions which shouldn't be outsourced. The military, law enforcement, judicial system, education...

But IT?

That's like suggesting the Feds should also make their own cars, construct their own buildings, grow their own food...

by Anonymousreply 1011/02/2013

[quote]after wasting billions of our tax dollars

The website cost $634 million dollars to build, not billions of dollars. The Republican shut down of the government cost $24 billion. But hey, don't let a few facts stop you from being a big old drama queen. Its all Freepers have.

by Anonymousreply 1111/02/2013

r9, I agree, but another problem was the low wages that the Feds paid their IT workers.

by Anonymousreply 1311/02/2013

Oh, fuck off, R13. My buddy does IT as a Fed and makes 133k a year. Quit making shit up to support your outlandish claims.

by Anonymousreply 1411/02/2013

Middle management at the federal and corporate levels has been stripped out. It's why a lot of private and public initiatives are going wrong.

by Anonymousreply 1611/02/2013

[quote] Obamacare is a big failure, let's admit it and move on

I'll admit just about anything as long as we keep implementing the ACA and moving towards universal health care.

by Anonymousreply 1711/02/2013

me too

by Anonymousreply 1811/02/2013

You are right, OP! As a lifelong Democrat, I know for a fact the Republicans won this round. I'm very concerned about Democrat chances in 2016 because of this major screwup. Also, I'm really starting to believe that Obama is from Kenya.

by Anonymousreply 1911/02/2013

It's also been an absolute boon in the ratings for Fox.

In some cases, Fox is pulling in twice the viewers of MSNBC and CNN COMBINED(day and night).

Anderson Cooper's 10:00 show has dropped to 280,000 viewers.

And Megyn Kelly is starting to triple the viewers of Maddow and is killing her in the 25-54 demographic.

by Anonymousreply 2011/02/2013

i love r19!

by Anonymousreply 2111/02/2013

So does megyn has higher rating than oreillys old time slot?

by Anonymousreply 2211/02/2013

Here we go, again.

The website did not cost billions of dollars, as R11 correctly notes. Further, R9 appears to be engaging in a bit of revisionist history as outsourcing is as old as dirt. If you want to look to the great "push" to outsource, it squarely belongs to Reagan, who declared that "government isn't the solution, government is the problem" and then proved it by being one of the worst presidents in history. Hell, he outsourced being president to Regan, Baker and even Nancy and her astrologer.

And before R12 goes off insulting the mathematical capabilities of Democrats, he should look in the mirror. That $24 billion number includes the wages that were paid -- for staying home -- but the far greater portion of that loss is due to the damage to the overall economy when the government shut down, as the uncertainty caused regular folks to stop spending money. Whether it was a furloughed employee who didn't know wether of not he'd get back pay, or an hourly federal contractor who knew he wouldn't get paid, or just an average joe, everybody did the only appropriate thing and cut back, didn't go eat out, didn't buy discretionary items, and didn't make any commitments (like buy a house or rent an apartment) out of fear that the teatards were about to take us over the brink and cause a worldwide depression.

What's missing from this discussion is how this "scandal" is yet another creation of the Pubbies. The ACA is such a compromise to what they wanted from start to finish, it's really quite insulting that any one of them is criticizing the administration. It was a Pubbie plan from the Heritage foundation that brought the fight down to the individual mandate, which resulted in the requirement for exchanges and subsidies, and then the bow to the states setting up their own exchanges.

Of course, we can't underestimate the damage wrought by the most activist Supreme Court in the history of the nation pulling the plug on the only enforcement mechanism available to the Feds, paying for Medicaid expansion to incentivize the states to get going. Think back to as few as two or three months ago, when states were still making up their minds about setting up their own exchanges or letting the Feds run it. Once again, the decriers of "uncertainty" left the decisions until the last minute, which then threw the Feds for a loop when they suddenly had to deal with 36 different markets, thousands of insurance companies (as each insurance entity is actually a different company in each state), hundreds of thousands of laws and regulations, millions of customers, and interfacing the whole mess with disparate sources of income and employment verification data. The equivalent would be saying to Apple or Google that they had a couple of months to write the operating systems for their phones, but at the last minute requiring them to make the OS work on any phone, interface with every carrier, and oh yeah, they have no way to require that anyone use our long-established phone number system. But it should work perfectly the day it is introduced.

Once again, we just don't learn from our previous mistakes and apply this knowledge to our present circumstance, so the best we can do, as consumers and voters, is do it for TPTB. We saw the rollout of Medicare part D for the fiasco it was, but hung in there and fixed the problems and turned it into a good program. The same holds true for Medicare in general, as well as Social Security. It will take a little time for the problems to work through the system, but eventually, Obamacare will work and the people will love it just as they love other social safety net programs, and that's the crux of why Pubbies hate Obamacare; they saw that after Social Security and Medicare were created, the Democrats retained the majority for 40 years, and they fear the same for Obamacare. Not only the majority, but all of the changes that this majority will enact just as the democratic majority that resulted from these programs brought about progress for the middle class.

by Anonymousreply 2311/02/2013

Yes r20, and just remember the millions of people who went insane when they tuned into CBS radio on October 30, 1938 and heard the reports that martians had landed in rural New Jersey.

by Anonymousreply 2411/02/2013

She beat O'Reilly this Wed to claim the number 1 cable spot.

I think she also beat him one time before.

by Anonymousreply 2611/02/2013

[quote]The website cost $634 million dollars to build

Can someone explain to me how the website ended up costing this much?

by Anonymousreply 2811/02/2013

So you really can't tell the difference between propaganda and reality, OP? Congratulations! You are officially an American mouthbreather who doesn't deserve reliable medical care. Enjoy your declining lifespan, increasing obesity and new Chinese overlords.

by Anonymousreply 2911/02/2013

R25 ACA is exactly the same program they have in Massachusetts. And the people there love it. So unless you have some real evidence and not voices you hear in your head, you're the one who is delusional.

[quote]People are getting kicked off

You're a little late sweetheart. That meme was proven wrong five hours after it appeared. Those people did not have health insurance. They had junk insurance which didn't even cover hospital visits.

by Anonymousreply 3011/02/2013

there is no obamacare sticker shock.

for the small minority who will have to increase their insurance payments a little bit (3%), it is because what they had previously was SHIT. and would have bankrupted them if they had gotten quite ill.

by Anonymousreply 3111/02/2013

Bullshit, r32. Please link to a reputable source that illustrates that "a large portion of the working poor are left without insurance thanks for the ACA."

I will wait.

by Anonymousreply 3311/02/2013

...still waiting...

by Anonymousreply 3411/02/2013

[quote]Obamacare is a big failure, let's admit it and move on.

TO WHAT? The Republicans have never, ever, offered anything resembling a plan to cover uninsured Americans. Their whole goal these last 5 years has been to STOP anything this president does. Not to put anything in its place.

No jobs bill! No immigration reform! No healthcare for the uninsured! Because Obama!

by Anonymousreply 3511/02/2013

R33 you refer to me R32 in your comment. Yet you aren't quoting me.

I didn't write ""a large portion of the working poor are left without insurance thanks for the ACA."

I wrote "Unfortunately, thanks to the Supreme Court, the working poor are left out in the cold."

The Supreme Court decision to overturn the mandatory expansion of Medicaid has left a large segment of the population without access to affordable insurance. They don't earn enough to qualify for the federal subsidies offered under ACA yet they earn too much to qualify for Medicaid.

After the Supreme Court Decision the ACA leaves them uncovered.

I've provided a link to the NY Times article on the subject.

I dare you to provide one credible link claiming this isn't true.

by Anonymousreply 3611/02/2013

that NYT piece is from october 2nd. and has since been refined by others to illustrate that it is NOT a large number of people.

by Anonymousreply 3711/02/2013

R37 - don't see a source.

Are you saying the Medicaid expansion wasn't necessary?

Or are you saying the number of uninsured working poor just isn't large enough to worry about?

Are you claiming that the concerns hospitals have that this will leave them at financial risk are false? One of the pieces that made this work for hospitals required to provide care was the Medicaid expansion.

by Anonymousreply 3911/02/2013

Here is a piece dated 10/23 predicting 6-7 million working poor won't be eligible.

Do you have more recent information R37?

by Anonymousreply 4011/02/2013

"ninety-seven per cent of Americans are either left alone or are clear winners, while three per cent are arguably losers."

by Anonymousreply 4111/02/2013

by Anonymousreply 4211/02/2013

Concern troll thread!

by Anonymousreply 4411/02/2013

Are you the OP, r45?

by Anonymousreply 4611/02/2013

Calm down, OP. The problems will get ironed out, and then the teatards will pull some stupid-ass shit in January to remind everyone just how much they want the US to fail. They've clearly decided that being the old, white, rich people, if they can't have the leadership, no one will, and they're ready to destroy the American way of life completely to do so. Ted Cruz has already said he would shut down the government again and replay the entire debt ceiling fiasco game. When the website is fixed and Obama begins reporting the real signup numbers, it's only going to piss the teatards off even more, and they'll be out for blood. Look at the pattern: they do the same thing over and over, somehow expecting the outcome to be different. But it never is. And they just get themselves wound up even tighter. Eventually, they'll implode... probably right after the Pubbies lose the House in 2014, and the teatards are relegated to insignificance.

by Anonymousreply 4811/03/2013

What are you talking about, R49? How do you get that I supposedly don't care about the working poor from what I said? And further, the working poor aren't the problem; it's people who are even poorer, who will fall into the gap created when so many red states declined additional medicaid dollars.

I think one of the few decent points of the ACA is the subsidies -- and not tax credits -- that the working poor are getting to buy insurance. If we're talking about someone who makes minimum wage, their insurance will essentially be free. Especially if they're over 35 and/or have dependents.

I'm not thrilled that the average Walmart employee is going to qualify for additional assistance, not because I don't think they deserve healthcare but because I object to the Waltons making billions of dollars and not giving basic healthcare coverage to nearly 2/3 of their employees.

by Anonymousreply 5011/03/2013

R49 is a perfect example of someone who lets the perfect be the enemy of the good.

The ACA is an improvement. It is not universal, it is not universal single-payer. We'll get there eventually, eventually is not now.

If you're at all interested in reality, take a look at the history of Social Security in America. You will learn, if you wish to learn anything, that the way programs like this work is that they start smaller than they end. They evolve and expand to cover more people over time.

There was absolutely ZERO chance of passing universal coverage or universal single-payer. None. The President got the best deal he could get at the time. Once the program settles in, it will expand, just like Social Security did and just like Medicaid did.

In the meantime, there will be poor Americans who still have to rely on emergency room care and free clinics. It's awful, I wish it were different but I deal with reality and don't bash the ACA for not being perfect and universal right out of the gate.

by Anonymousreply 5111/03/2013

According to tvbythenumbers....

FNC's new primetime lineup ranked #2 in all of cable in primetime, only behind ESPN.

by Anonymousreply 5211/08/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!