Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Stars you used to like, but now annoy the living shit out of you

I used to like Johnny Depp. He seemed to be above the Hollywood mess and did interesting films following the TV career and he stretched himself as an actor. He also seemed to live a low-key life in France with his family following all the Winona Forever nonsense.

But after a series of godawful, fawning pieces in Vanity Fair, he bugs the shit out of me. He seems to be in love with every banal idea that falls out of his mouth. In one piece, the author has him falling asleep during an interview after consuming a shitload of wine and bloviating all evening. The absolute worse was the conversation with Patti Smith. It was cringe-worthy circle jerk (well, you get the idea).

Forget taking down Gwyneth. After all the "artistic" license he took with his character in the Lone Ranger bomb, VF has a prime target.

by Anonymousreply 11311/04/2013

I adored Phil Collins until 1985.

by Anonymousreply 111/01/2013

Betty effing Buckley. Wish I never met the cunt.

by Anonymousreply 211/01/2013

Jake Gyllenhawhatshisname

Fucking closetcase!

by Anonymousreply 311/01/2013

Good topic, OP.

I agree with you about Depp.

Also:

Adrian Brody - loved him in The Pianist....now, such a douche

Madonna - pre Truth or Dare (I'm old)

Morrissey - I idealized him in my youth

by Anonymousreply 411/01/2013

If VF is looking for material, I don't think they could do better than the modern Norma Desmond, Madonna.

As celebrities I once liked and now loathe, Michael Jackson and Der Schwarzenegger top my list. I had mad crushes on them when I was young.

by Anonymousreply 511/01/2013

Another vote for Moz. Idolized him at one time. But things started going down hill with the court case and didn't improve when he made his heartless comments after the massacre in Norway.

by Anonymousreply 611/01/2013

Well, I used to not hate Julia Roberts!

by Anonymousreply 711/01/2013

I know just what OP means about VF blowing Depp. One story had the writer gushing about him making a playlist that was heard on his yacht. All by himself! Johnny Depp! Made a playlist! Bah.

by Anonymousreply 911/01/2013

Dominique inique inique at R8

by Anonymousreply 1011/01/2013

I can't stand Depp outside movies anymore either. To each his own, but he just seems like a guy who never grew out of his high school ideas of "edgy" "rebellious" culture - past-it boomers like Nick Tosches, Hunter Thompson and Keith Richards, yawn.

by Anonymousreply 1211/01/2013

James Franco

Dennis Miller (not a "star" but I enjoyed him on the SNL skit below)

by Anonymousreply 1611/01/2013

Beyonce, George Clooney, Denzel Washington annoy the hell out of me. Oprah and Ryan Gosling are on the top of my hate list. I never really liked Depp, Pitt or DiCaprio, they were always idiots to me.

by Anonymousreply 1711/01/2013

The stars i feel are genuine and what you see is what you get are few and far between. I cant stand johnny depp now too. He now is just another hollywood sellout. I think the best stars are in it for the love of performing and not the love of money.

by Anonymousreply 1911/01/2013

Apatower people

by Anonymousreply 2211/01/2013

I agree with Johnny and Madonna. Both of them turned insufferable somewhere around the dawn of the millenium.

I still like Moz, though, for all his trolling. I don't listen to his newer music or agree with much of what he says, but to me, he is Datalounge personified. I think he's hilarious. I downloaded his memoir and should get to reading it this weekend.

by Anonymousreply 2311/01/2013

Is that supposed to be a racist slur, R20?

by Anonymousreply 2411/01/2013

Justin Timberlake During NSYNC, ok first half of solo career, ok After marrying Beil, he is just weird and creepy

by Anonymousreply 2511/01/2013

Michael Feinstein. What happened?

by Anonymousreply 2611/01/2013

Kevin Spacey

Bono (pre Joshua Tree, I loved him almost as much as Morrissey)

by Anonymousreply 2811/01/2013

Beyonce...oh wait! I NEVER liked her.

by Anonymousreply 2911/01/2013

Michael Stipe

by Anonymousreply 3011/01/2013

Woody Allen

by Anonymousreply 3111/01/2013

Good Lord, another Miss Thing VS Man Queer poll... and not a penis in sight.

by Anonymousreply 3211/01/2013

Nicki Minaj, Bethenny Frankel.

by Anonymousreply 3311/01/2013

Wrong thread, R32

by Anonymousreply 3411/01/2013

I used to love Madonna until she turned British.

by Anonymousreply 3511/01/2013

Yea, [R34], totally wrong thread.

by Anonymousreply 3611/01/2013

R26, what's wrong with Michael Feinstein?

by Anonymousreply 3711/01/2013

I used to love Oprah too, but then she got all new age and preachy - then she went full on power mad goddess. That shit she spouts is fucking ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 3811/01/2013

Kate Winslet

Kevin Spacey

by Anonymousreply 3911/01/2013

Andy Cohen too.

Used to like him but now...ugh. he is insufferable.

by Anonymousreply 4011/01/2013

I hate to write this but Barbra Streisand now annoys me nad I write this as a life-long fan of hers. I will remain so, but still.

I've never recovered from that Oprah interview when she bored me to tears with all her "the landscape outside my windows must continue to reflect my interior decor...

ugh.

by Anonymousreply 4111/01/2013

Ben Affleck

by Anonymousreply 4211/01/2013

Sandra Bernhard - Not that funny, not that talented.

Angelina Jolie - I didn't mind her back in the good old days when she wore the vial of blood around her neck and made out with her brother at the Oscars. The Mother Teresa schtick is insufferable, though.

by Anonymousreply 4311/01/2013

Jason Patric: internet gossip

Dylan McDermott: an interview in the late 90s

Scott Caan: the gay bar fight

Jeremy Piven: Cupid/Very Bad Things

by Anonymousreply 4511/02/2013

Tom Hanks. Period.

by Anonymousreply 4711/02/2013

Obama

by Anonymousreply 4811/02/2013

Loved Cheyenne, before he because such a douche

by Anonymousreply 4911/02/2013

I don't have any. I'm more inclined to go from not liking to liking than the other way around.

by Anonymousreply 5011/02/2013

"BECAME" such a douche

by Anonymousreply 5111/02/2013

Someone I left off the list, probably because it was more disappointing than Johnny Depp becoming a Hollywood vagrant, is Mel Gibson going from one of the most attractive men in H'wood (Year of Living Dangerously; Dear GOD IN HEAVEN in late '82 early '83) to becoming a violent iconoclast, homophobe and anti-Semite. I used to have a huge crush on him. Depp was just around. At least Depp doesn't seem to have engaged in any criminality yet.

by Anonymousreply 5211/02/2013

I adored Bruce Willis during the Moonlighting years. When he became a big, fat movie star, his appeal faded. It was obvious that he was a jerk. It was the character of David Addison that was charming, not the actor.

by Anonymousreply 5311/02/2013

Robin Williams wins this with me.

I think he blew his brains out.

With too many drugs.

by Anonymousreply 5411/02/2013

Duh! R54!

by Anonymousreply 5511/02/2013

I used to adore Sting, both in The Police and as a solo artistic. I never missed a local concert.

I thought he was hot, intelligent and he made cerebral pop music which incorporated real jazz and world music. Then, he became as pompous and annoying as the rockstars he was putting down for their excess.

The nail in the coffin was when he hooked up with that awful poseur, money grubber, the ultra annoying plastic surgery addict actress Trudie Styler. She lured him away from his first wife, her best friend!

He's become the typical 'I have-eight-homes rockstar', talking to his fans about global warming, the Rainforest and being green, meanwhile he's taking private jets everywhere. How large is his carbon footprint?!

He hasn't come up with one original idea is over ten years, now he's supposedly composed something for Broadway. ugh Just go away already. Retire, enjoy your millions.

Now he's inflicting his spawn on the public, two of his daughters act and two of his children are musicians.

by Anonymousreply 5611/02/2013

I loathe Oprah! I cannot understand why she remains relevant - what has done recently to be considered so all knowing and powerful? The tipping point for me was when she was being interviewed about building the school in Africa, she said she wouldn't do the same in the States because American kids do not appreciate education, I was done with her! How condescending is she?!

And, she introduced the world to Dr. Phil.

by Anonymousreply 5711/02/2013

Bruce Springsteen. Just can't take the faux Tom Joad/working man posturing after all these years.

Julia Roberts. There was something so likeable, endearing, fresh about here. Now she's like a MAD magazine parody of herself. Think the impossible artificiality of "Notting Hill" sealed the deal.

Janeane Garofalo: loved her during the "Larry Sanders"/Ben Stiller show days. Now she has the same insufferable affect that Depp is working.

Entire cast of "How I Met Your Mother" Enjoyed the first season. Recently saw a first-run episode. Unfunny, unlikeable, smug, horrible.

James Franco. So incredible in "Freaks And Geeks", such an asshole now. Like Crispin Glover-level douchebaggery.

Michael Cera. What happened to you, George Michael.

Jimmy Kimmel.

by Anonymousreply 5811/02/2013

[quote]Adrian Brody - loved him in The Pianist....now, such a douche

Yet another fantastic example. He played a good game around the time of the Pianist as a suffering artist who compromised his health for a once in a lifetime role, yet his choices were more akin to creating affluence in his wake. Making buddies among the affluent in the hip hop world and "making beats" as he thought himself an artist.

I imagine the insufferability of being an Oscar winning actor with such a vaunted photographer mother made it difficult for people around him. His career has been rather dissolute and unsupported since then.

It was weird to see him photographed next to fellow Oscar winner Nicole Kidman one moment, then hanging off of NY hip-hop artists, hanging his cred out, limited as it was. I think his choices after his immediate fame showed his true colors and lack of smarts. He hasn't gone anywhere, has he?

by Anonymousreply 5911/02/2013

R56, I just read your post and LMAO! it's funny because it's so true!

by Anonymousreply 6011/02/2013

How's Sting's musical? Anyone heard the score?

by Anonymousreply 6211/02/2013

I'm not sure if she counts as a celebrity, but may I present Ms. Linnethia Leakes. When RHOA began, I thought she was funny and a blast to watch. Now, she turns my stomach.

by Anonymousreply 6311/02/2013

I used to LOVE Paul McCartney. Now not so much. Now, not at all.

by Anonymousreply 6411/02/2013

[quote]Julia Roberts. There was something so likeable, endearing, fresh about her

Wow! I never saw that...AT ALL. Likeable? Endearing? She always seemed like an extremely cold, calculating bitch.

by Anonymousreply 6511/02/2013

Margaret Cho used to be a lot of fun. Then she turned into a bitter, humorless social justice warrior. As if we don't have enough of those around.

by Anonymousreply 6611/02/2013

[quote]Margaret Cho used to be a lot of fun.

I think it's hard to be fun or funny and famous for it for a very long time. Sooner or later the seriousness sets in.

by Anonymousreply 6711/02/2013

Hey, now! as Hank Kingsley would say. Crispin Glover was always a freak and has remained true to that - he's never been a douchebag like James Franco.

by Anonymousreply 6811/02/2013

I saw Sting interviewed on Charlie Rose last month, IMo he sort of redeemed himself. Adrien Brody, Nicole Kidman, Oprah, Michelle and Barack Obama and - wait for it - CHELSEA CLINTON.

Insufferable. Pretentious. Self-impressed.

by Anonymousreply 6911/02/2013

"Adrien Brody"

Last seen doing razor ads on British TV...

by Anonymousreply 7011/02/2013

Gwyneth Paltrow

Ben Affleck

Ryan Gosling

Vince Vaughan

James Franco

by Anonymousreply 7111/02/2013

When I was a boy I loved Jerry Lewis. In my 40's I couldn't abide him. Today, in my 50's I feel sorry for him.

by Anonymousreply 7211/02/2013

Hate to say it but agree w Bruce Springsteen. His vox pop shit got embarrassing. It doesn't help that he has so many lifelong stans who think he is the deepest thing ever.

by Anonymousreply 7311/02/2013

Kathy Griffin.

by Anonymousreply 7411/02/2013

Johnny Weir. I thought that he'd be a breath of fresh air to the staid, stuffy and closeted world of figure skating. Instead he's turned into a whiny, phony, fame-seeking windbag of a queen. And his haircuts always look like shit.

by Anonymousreply 7611/02/2013

Howard Stern. He became what he parodied.

by Anonymousreply 7711/02/2013

r77 -Hello? Johnny Weir was always a whining, phony attention seeking queen, especially when he started out in competitive skating. His schtick was so obvious from the start a five year old girl could see through it!

As for Sting, well, he would be less insuffrable if he would just simply go and divorce Trudie Styler! She's the one who turned him into what he is today. All I'd like to know, as a woman, just what was it that he saw in her anyway, especially when compared to his first wife, who was strikingly stunning in that aristocratic manner and a far better actress who could have gone on to be one of the all time greats in Britain! Unless all that coke and tantric sex had fried his brains out by the time that little extra marital affair wrecked his first marriage!

by Anonymousreply 7811/02/2013

Janeane Garofalo. I thought she was great in "Reality Bites" and "Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion" but now she just needs to buy a vibrator (and use it) and take a shower for about a week.

by Anonymousreply 7911/02/2013

DAVID SEDARIS

by Anonymousreply 8011/02/2013

TIFFANY

by Anonymousreply 8111/02/2013

yeah he's creepy now r25 but it makes him more interesting. he seems like he's going through something. I wonder what's next. maybe he will bust out the closet, divorce the lez and get married to jayz.

by Anonymousreply 8211/02/2013

Depp has always been a dumb shit you just fell for it, op. And he was never that great of an actor again people just fell for the shtick. I did like him in Ed Wood though.

by Anonymousreply 8311/02/2013

LeAnn Rimes.

Well, technically she annoyed the shit out of herself.

by Anonymousreply 8411/02/2013

Mark Harmon now annoys the living shit out of me.

by Anonymousreply 8511/02/2013

Comedy is hard, in the long run. I like outrageous, loud women but they inevitably wind up boring me or letting me down.

Sandra Bernhard has been at it forever but is running on fumes. And she remains her own biggest fan.

Margaret Cho was fun for a long time. But she's got a limited act and a limited POV. She got tired years ago.

Kathy Griffin just flamed out spectacularly on TV. Overexposed. Hard working but simply not that talented.

Why aren't there more and better gay male comics? I've never understood that one.

by Anonymousreply 8611/02/2013

I think Tim Burton did his best work on Pee-Wee's Big Adventure and has been going downhill ever since.

by Anonymousreply 8711/02/2013

Rosie O owns this thread.

by Anonymousreply 8811/02/2013

Johnny Depp was so gorgeous in his youth, we can all be forgiven for not noticing he was dumb as a post. Now it cannot be overlooked.

Sting has become a ghastly parody of himself. He deserves that horrible wife of his.

Adrian Brody is a sad, pathetic drug addict who threw away his career and shit-canned his talent - all for drugs.

My choice is Sean Penn. I thought he was a fantastic young actor. Now I can't even stand to look at him, what a waste.

by Anonymousreply 8911/02/2013

With the exception of Depp and Mel Gibson, I like most of the people listed. There are a few I never cared for from the beginning, and the only one I can think of that fits this post is ALEC BALDWIN. He was never a fav or anything like that, but I used to tolerate him, now I don't care for him at all.

by Anonymousreply 9011/02/2013

R90 I wondered what people were getting at with Adrien Brody, is that it, he turned into a junky? Any stories?

by Anonymousreply 9111/03/2013

[quote]Adrian Brody is a sad, pathetic drug addict who threw away his career and shit-canned his talent - all for drugs.

Yeah?! This is the first I've heard. He did begin to develop a scuzzy look at some point. Things seemed to go south for him after he got dumped by Elsa Pataky.

by Anonymousreply 9211/03/2013

Anne Hathaway

Dionne Warwick

Halle Berry

Paul Rudd

Jodie Foster

Bjork

by Anonymousreply 9311/03/2013

Natalie Portman

by Anonymousreply 9411/03/2013

Agree with r86

Every word is true, IMO

by Anonymousreply 9511/03/2013

I hate to say it (because I like most of her political beliefs and I adored her in "The Color Purple") but Whoopi Goldberg.

by Anonymousreply 9611/03/2013

[quote] Margaret Cho was fun for a long time. But she's got a limited act and a limited POV. She got tired years ago.

I agree with this. I liked her years ago and I also liked her short lived ABC sitcom. I stopped liking her around 2006 or 2007.

by Anonymousreply 9711/03/2013

Ellen D annoys the hell out of me. Used to like her

by Anonymousreply 9811/03/2013

I loved Margaret Cho's sitcom!

by Anonymousreply 9911/03/2013

Jon Stewart

by Anonymousreply 10011/03/2013

Also Ellen. Liked, liked, liked...saw genuine evil flash in one blink of her sparking eyes...loathed, loathed, loathed.

And can we please give it a rest with all the 'fraus'. If it was funny the first 100 times, it sure as ain't now. It makes you sound like the school bully's hanger-on, cleaving to a secondhand insult to be part of the gang but sans the wherewithal to devise something original. Aren't we better than this?

Or, at least if not better, funnier?

by Anonymousreply 10111/03/2013

Katy Perry

Taylor Swift

by Anonymousreply 10211/03/2013

Yeah, I was reminded recently that I'd defended Jon Stewart when he'd been called a "douchebag" a few years back. And now I think he is, in fact, an annoying douchebag.

by Anonymousreply 10311/03/2013

Jon Stewart has the most annoying mannerisms.

by Anonymousreply 10411/03/2013

I saw Angelina Jolie's name mentioned. I was one of her biggest fans. I loved the whole we had sex in the car thing that BBT talked about on tv, loved the vial, crazy insane batshit Angie.

Maybe it's a reflection of where I am but the whole hooking up with simian looking but "earnest faux schoolboy" but really a drug/alkie & the whole adopting tons of children a la Crazy Mia Farrow thing really ruined her. That and her face looks like it's melting in every photo since she's hooked up with him. Don't get me started on the fauxmanitarian bs & "trend" she started & the "transracial adoption 'cause I ain't a racist" bs she did either. SUCH BS.

by Anonymousreply 10511/04/2013

Dennis Miller

James Wood or is it Woods?

by Anonymousreply 10611/04/2013

Why do you think Adrian Brody is a drug addict? I've heard nothing about that.

by Anonymousreply 10711/04/2013

Never ever liked any of them. They all behave like they could find the cure for HIV and Cancer if they wanted to.

by Anonymousreply 10811/04/2013

I'm starting to not like Robert Downey.

by Anonymousreply 10911/04/2013

Yes, but the good thing about Angelina is that she adopted some or most of her kids instead of adding more humans to an overcrowded planet with limited resources. Maybe she will encourage her fans to do the same.

by Anonymousreply 11011/04/2013

R111 She spawned THREE children, which is above replacement level by 50%.

by Anonymousreply 11111/04/2013

Oh, for some reason I thought she only gave birth to one child.

by Anonymousreply 11211/04/2013
Need more help? Click Here.