Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Why doesn't Chris Matthews have actual people on his show instead of his insider friends and other journalists.

If you can't stand Ted Cruz, have some balls and have him on your show, dick weed.

Oh, no.... Not more David Corn!

by Joan Walshreply 4111/02/2013

I doubt Ted Cruz and people of that ilk would be willing to go on Chris Matthews show. These extremists have a really difficult time defending their position and submitting to questioning. They believe they're above being questioned and interpret it as an act of hostility.

They don't like to be around people who openly challenge them, or disagree with them. If they went on Chris Matthews show they'd have to be ready to argue for their point of view, instead of simply appearing and speaking without being challenged.

I am not aware of any news organization that has actually confronted any of these lunatics, and challenged them on their assertions or forced them to defend their beliefs.

by Joan Walshreply 111/01/2013

Since when is Ted Cruz an "actual person" compared to other... people?

by Joan Walshreply 311/01/2013

Op, your full of shit, Matthews often times hosts 'the other side'.

by Joan Walshreply 411/01/2013

You're*

by Joan Walshreply 511/01/2013

Kathleen Parker is a regular guest on Chris' weekly half hour syndicated show.

by Joan Walshreply 711/01/2013

Buy my new book!

by Joan Walshreply 811/01/2013

I think Matthews has dementia. Sometimes it seems like he barely knows who is who any more. Someday soon he'll begin thinking Michelle Obama is Sheryl Lee Ralph.

by Joan Walshreply 911/01/2013

[quote]Why doesn't Chris Matthews have actual people on his show instead of his insider friends and other journalists.

He doesn't let people answer questions.

by Joan Walshreply 1011/01/2013

Matthews never shuts up and let his guests talk. He takes 5 minutes to ask the question, they get about two sentences out and he interrupts and starts talking for another 5 minutes. I know he's an old-timer that was with Tip O'Neill and has been on the Washington scene for ages but he's so busy letting you know he's all those things --he's not really interested in what others think because he thinks he already knows it all.

by Joan Walshreply 1111/01/2013

Matthews is the best thing on television, there is no doubt about that.

by Joan Walshreply 1211/01/2013

That Kathleen Parker fish was a disaster. Her IQ must have been about 79.

by Joan Walshreply 1311/01/2013

Corn? When did I have corn?

by Joan Walshreply 1411/01/2013

Newt Gingrich agrees to come on his show, but the Republican's who will show up on msnbc are few and far between.

I just love it when Rachel openly extends invitations to various Republican's to come give their side of the story on her show. They never do.

by Joan Walshreply 1511/01/2013

I love Chris Matthews, warts and all. He's authentic. When you compare him to that obnoxious, self involved asshole, Joe Scarborough, or the vapid David Gregory, or the insipid Chuck Todd, he is definitely one of the best on TV.

He suffers from Diabetes, and I honestly thing when his blood sugar's out of whack he is much more hyped than usual. But one thing is certain. There is no one on TV that has as much passion or joy in what they do, as Matthews does. He loves it.

He genuinely loves politics and history, and so what if he's old school about it. I wish there were more people inside and out of politics that had that passion and that joyfulness. He was also an aide to Jimmy Carter in the Carter White House.

by Joan Walshreply 1611/01/2013

Pity, r16, he didn't take voice lessons along the way. That man has got the most fucking irritating voice on TV.No chest tones --all nasal . Hideous . Like Babwa Walters, Jane Pauley, Katie Couric --American TV full of reporters and TV hosts with high-pitched voices (Diane Sawyer the exception --love her!).

by Joan Walshreply 1711/02/2013

I watch Matthews but I have a really hard time getting over all the times he had Tony Perkins from Family Research Council on his show. Matthews was always going on about what a good guy Perkins was, ignoring the fact that Perkins runs a hate organization.

Thankfully I think Matthews has finally realized the error of his ways, as Perkins hasn't been on his show for a while now.

by Joan Walshreply 1811/02/2013

I might be mistaken R18, but I think I read that Perkins was a paid associate of that show. He got paid to come on the show. Then a couple of years ago MSNBC decided not to renew his contract stating he was part of a hate group or something like that. So now he is on Fox.

by Joan Walshreply 1911/02/2013

Chris Matthew is passionate, but within a very narrow range which always includes JFK & O'Neill and sometimes Reagan, Obama and the Clintons.

Matthews will mention 'The Great Society,' but rarely that LBJ passed all that legislation (perhaps becaue it makes JFK look bad). Nixon and Carter, like Johnson, had flawed presidency. Matthews seldom mentions anything Carter and Nixon did right either.

He's been all over the place on Hilary Clinton, including once saying that she only thrived in the post-WH years because of her status as the 'wronged wife.'

Bottom Line: At age 68, he's fixated on the hero of his youth (Kennedy), not a bad thing unless you have a five-days a week TV show.

by Joan Walshreply 2011/02/2013

Chris Matthews is really the only mainstream pundit who comes right out and calls these teabagger freaks on their racism and tribalism. He goes on and on about it and it viscerally disgusts him. The country would be ten times better off if the rest of the mainstream journalists had the balls he has to call out Republican bullshit.

by Joan Walshreply 2111/02/2013

And I appreciatae the fact that catholic Chris Matthews came about 180 degrees on the idea of gay marriage. Who does that?

by Joan Walshreply 2211/02/2013

ted cruz would NEVER be on his show. cruz is like a hothouse flower- he needs the safety and security of the bubble, or he would wither and die.

by Joan Walshreply 2311/02/2013

and i love chris matthews passion, and his talking over his guests when they are just parroting talking points. he tries to get honest reactions which is more than hacks like gregory or todd.

by Joan Walshreply 2411/02/2013

Ted Cruz went to Princeton and then to Harvard law school where his law professors described him as being "off the charts" intelligent.

I think he can hold is own against anyone and we will soon see that come 2016.

by Joan Walshreply 2511/02/2013

Oh, r25, you poor thing.

Ted Cruz couldn't hold his own pinga, much less a debate.

by Joan Walshreply 2611/02/2013

Ba-dum-bumph!

by Joan Walshreply 2711/02/2013

No more David Corn and his bad nose job, chin implant and hair plugs.

by Joan Walshreply 2811/02/2013

do we think ted cruz has a chin implant? that thing doesn't look right.

by Joan Walshreply 2911/02/2013

The problem is not that Matthews won't have any Pubbies on; it's that they refuse to do any show on MSNBC because they're asked real questions and aren't allowed to just bloviate. For example, Rand Paul's hissy fit over being Rachel Maddow calling him out for plagiarizing, and of all things to plagiarize, he stole from Wikipedia!

This highlights one of my bugaboos regarding the media, that they all act like MSNBC is the mirror image of Fox. Yet, Dems will go on O'Reilly, Hannity, even the Sunday morning program, but no Pubbies dare face Maddow, Hayes or O'Donnell.

And don't get me started on what rightwing shills David Gregory, Chuck Todd and Andrea Mitchell are. Sometimes the only way I get through Meet the Press is to imagine the shit on Gregory's face as he oh-so-gently sucks Pubbie ass. The worst part is when Todd tries to act like a grown up and interpret polls through his shit-stained glasses.

At least Matthews has the balls to say what he thinks and get in the face of those he disagrees with, usually Pubbies. I loved to see him rip Dick Armey to shreds over the nature of the teatards. He'd do the same to Ted Cruz, and Cruz knows it.

Cruz is nothing if not self-aware, narcissistic and elitist. He is quoted as saying he would only study with other Ivy League grads when he was at Harvard. You'd think that would alienate the teatards, but since there is no there there, it's not surprising. The symbolism of Cruz giving his little faux-libuster to an empty chamber is lost on Pubbies. I kept wanting to say that Cruz should grow a pair and actually give a speech of import to the full Senate. That would mean he actually had something to say, but he'd rather dash off the floor to go on Fox, than govern. What is it they say in Texas... Something about all hat and no cattle?

by Joan Walshreply 3011/02/2013

I love Chris Matthews. He's a good kind of crazy. He's had President Carter on his show, and he clearly reveres him.

I think he has a lot of admiration for LBJ's ability to get things done as far as Congress goes, but the Vietnam War really tainted LBJ big time.

Chris worked in the White House, he worked for Congress, so I really don't see any journalist or pundit who has that kind of credential.

Scarborough doesn't count. He was Abscammed out of Congress for being a punk. Gergen never had his own show, and he ruined himself with his Romney love. Whore.

by Joan Walshreply 3111/02/2013

Exactly.... Matthews has the same "guests" over and over again.

by Joan Walshreply 3211/02/2013

I like Matthews but agree he has the same people on over and over like David Corn and the boring and predictable Eugene Robinson.

Right now Matthews is obsessed with Ted Cruz. He needs to put a lid on it.

Democrats are gloating because the GOP is not doing well right now, but in today's poisonous atmosphere no one is going to escape unscathed. I wish savvy types like Matthews would warn Democrats to stay on their game.

by Joan Walshreply 3311/02/2013

[R31]-

Chris Matthew does not admire Johnson or Carter, at least on his show. I do not know his thoughts off the show. Sadly, I'll admit to watching Chris' show too often...to have conclusions about what Matthews thinks about anything.

by Joan Walshreply 3411/02/2013

r34 I don't know if you are doing it willfully or not, but you are conflating the personal with the professional. Admiring one's ability is entirely different from admiring one personally. Chris admires Carter personally, perhaps not so much his ability, and vice versa re: LBJ.

by Joan Walshreply 3511/02/2013

What R25 says may well be true. The whole truth, and nothing but the truth, is that anyone who's known him for any length of time has come to hate him as a total asshole.

by Joan Walshreply 3611/02/2013

In interviews with the Times, friends of Heidi Nelson Cruz described her as "less ideological" than her husband, who, recent polls have shown, is still adored by tea party adherents and loathed by liberals and many independents after the shutdown. Before her time at Goldman, she held several posts in the George W. Bush administration, including in the Treasury Department and the National Security Agency.

"Nothing in her background remotely approached Ted’s Scalia-like conservatism," one friend said, referring to Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia. -- The one friend's statement is perplexing, given the sentence immediately preceding it.

by Joan Walshreply 3711/02/2013

[quote] Kathleen Parker is a regular guest on Chris' weekly half hour syndicated show.

That syndicated show is no longer on the air.

by Joan Walshreply 3811/02/2013

I don't mind watching his show. However, my ears do mind listening to Chris Matthews. WTF, can't he take speech lessons?

Is he THAT narcissistic?

by Joan Walshreply 3911/02/2013

To [R35]- Last week in his appearance on Alec Baldwin's new show, Matthews talked about how Reagan was needed after the failed presidencies of Johnson, Nixon, Carter. I was drafted and served in Vietnam. so I have every reason to be critical of LBJ. Yet there's all the programs of the Great Society, especially Civil Rights, Head Start and Medicare. And the same arguments for Nixon and Carter could be made, although less powerfully for Carter.

I understand that TV only gives a short time to evaluate presidents as opposed to books and Q&A sessions. To be fair, Matthews was talking mostly about his new book on Tip and Reagan.

I would love to hear Chris talk about Kennedy, Johnson, Nixon, Carter, Reagan et al with Baldwin at length when he is not distracted by a new book.

You are right. I did mix the person and political in my last post. I should be more careful.

by Joan Walshreply 4011/02/2013

Some of the Great Society programs, particularly the Civil Rights stuff, which for LBJ became solely prop to dig the knife into RFK, were programs that the Kennedy admin was working on. However, even if one allows the Johnson admin to take credit for the good stuff, Johnson's presidency can hardly be called a ringing success. Do you remember how he went out? It was pitiful and pathetic. And his escalation of the war was absolutely a failure.

by Joan Walshreply 4111/02/2013
Need more help? Click Here.