Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Why Did Music Producer T-Bone Burnett Really Leave 'Nashville'?

Think the drama on ABC's sophomore drama [italic]Nashville[/italic] is heated? Apparently, it's nothing compared to the tension behind the scenes, according to [bold]T-Bone Burnett[/bold].

The Oscar- and Grammy-winning songwriter, musician and soundtrack supervisor behind [italic]Crazy Heart[/italic] and [italic]O Brother, Where Art Thou?[/italic] served as the executive music producer for the show's entire first season. However, he suddenly left the show in June, despite the fact that Burnett is married to [italic]Nashville[/italic]'s creator, Callie Khouri.

Now, four months later, Burnett is opening up about the difficult circumstances which led to his exit. "I love working with Callie," Burnett told [italic]The Hollywood Reporter[/italic]. "I have no problem working with Callie. I have a problem when people don't treat Callie right. I like to see artists treated with tremendous respect, and I like the executives to say, 'How can I help you do what you do?' That's what I do."

Burnett specifically says it was the conflicting visions people had about what the show was really about that led to other differences in opinion. "Some people were making a drama about real musicians' lives, and some were making a soap opera, so there was that confusion," he said. "It was a knockdown, bloody, drag-out fight, every episode. You remember that show [italic]The Prisoner[/italic]? If I were to tell you the truth, you'd think I was insane."

Burnett's right-hand man Buddy Miller has since stepped into the executive music producer role for [italic]Nashville[/italic]. Burnett has bounced back since leaving the series. He serves as the executive music producer on the upcoming film [italic]Inside Llewyn Davis[/italic], which follows a folk singer-songwriter, and comes from the Coen brothers, with whom Burnett worked with on [italic]O Brother, Where Art Thou?[/italic]

[italic]Inside Llewyn Davis[/italic] hits theaters on Dec. 6. [italic]Nashville[/italic] airs Wednesdays at 10/9c on ABC.

by Kate Stanhopereply 211/01/2013

OP here.

I haven't watched [italic]Nashville[/italic] since after its second or third season-one episode. Not that I didn't like it; I just had other things.

I appreciated the early depiction of the music business. The conflicts.

Did this show [italic]become[/italic] a soap opera?

by Kate Stanhopereply 111/01/2013

The music is way shittier this year.

by Kate Stanhopereply 211/01/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!