Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

If the GOP embraced gays and marriage equality, how many gays would switch parties?

Pretyy much the only reason I hate the GOP is their treatment of gays and Lesbians. So when gay marriage and discrimination become a thing of the past, would people switch? Abortion and guns don't really affect me; I would love to make a ton of money by any means.

by Anonymousreply 3811/02/2013

There is no way I could support a party that thinks man and dinosaurs co-existed or that the moon creates its own light.

by Anonymousreply 211/01/2013

Gay marriage equality is barely the tip of the iceberg. In other words: Hell, No!!

by Anonymousreply 311/01/2013

People who think the GOP is anywhere what they say they are - the party of fiscal responsibility - have no grasp of reality.

by Anonymousreply 411/01/2013

But we could take over the Republican party and make it not the party of the Greedy 1%. That's the key. Their primary votes are SO LOW they are vulnerable to a left-progressive challenge from the NEA and AFSCME. We just have to do it in such a way that it doesn't scare off the conservatives into forming a third party. But I think it could be done: indeed, they have tried to do that to Democrats all along.

by Anonymousreply 511/01/2013

He'll fucking no! The republicans have changed, they are no longer the party of Eisenhower, they are the party of communist fundamentalist Christians. They hate the American way.

by Anonymousreply 611/01/2013

What R5 said.

When you get past the talking and the slogans and look at the actual numbers, the GOP is full of absolute shit when it comes to fiscal matters.

by Anonymousreply 711/01/2013

30% of gays already vote Republican.

by Anonymousreply 811/01/2013

Some gays are selfish, ignorant assholes, in other words, some gays are Republicans.

by Anonymousreply 911/01/2013

[quote]30% of gays already vote Republican.

No doubt a large percentage of them do so in a failed attempt to win daddy's love.

by Anonymousreply 1111/01/2013

They'd have to denounce the religious nutters, militarists, and Randians as well, then I might give 'em a look.

by Anonymousreply 1211/01/2013

[quote]Abortion and guns don't really affect me

Actually, abortion DIRECTLY affects you, but clearly you're not the brightest bulb. The Supreme Court legalized abortion as part of recognizing an overall right to privacy implicitly mandated by the Constitution. It was in large part on this same basis that the Supreme Court subsequently legalized consensual gay sex in Lawrence v. Texas.

I'd normally expend more than two sentences on this explanation, but if you're too dimwitted to see the damage the Republican Party is inflicting on America in THOUSANDS of ways that have absolutely nothing to do with sexual orientation, why even bother?

by Anonymousreply 1311/01/2013

[quote] I would love to make a ton of money by any means.

The overwhelming majority of Republicans are not rich, they are deluded souls like yourself that would vote against their own interests, thinking that they will obtain some benefit, by supporting the party of the rich. Hint, they only want policies that keep them rich, not that make you rich.

by Anonymousreply 1411/01/2013

Honestly, after a government shutdown in which the Republicans revealed themselves to be a bunch of disorganized, mis-managed and ideologically split bunch of idiots driven by a crazy faction of nutters, you think GAY MARRIAGE is the only thing that's keeping me from voting Republican?

by Anonymousreply 1511/01/2013

Exactly, r16, Republicanism died with Reagan.

by Anonymousreply 1611/01/2013

Perfect, R15.

They have delusions of grandeur.

Joe the Plumber perfectly embodied what the average Republican is like: He was critical of the policies Obama was pushing that would've benefited REAL Joe, because they would've hurt delusional Joe and his imaginary 250K+ business where he was boss.

This is how most of them think. Their greed is based on money they don't even have, but they just know they will!

by Anonymousreply 1711/01/2013

I wish DL had a like button, r18!

by Anonymousreply 1911/01/2013

But where would we go then for that sadomasochistic treatment?

by Anonymousreply 2011/01/2013

From OP:

[bold]Pretyy much the only reason I hate the GOP is their treatment of gays and Lesbians.[/bold]

…Log Cabin?

by Anonymousreply 2111/01/2013

R9 writes,

[bold]30% of gays already vote Republican.[/bold]

They were below that in 2008. (Either 27 or 28 percent.)

In 2012, that number came down to 22 percent nationally.

by Anonymousreply 2211/01/2013

Only the stupid, selfish racists, OP. Only the stupid, selfish racists.

by Anonymousreply 2311/02/2013

Which clearly includes this OP.

by Anonymousreply 2411/02/2013

It's almost impossible to imagine the GOP without its holier-than-thou fundie gay-bashing. It's a part and parcel of the identity. It's like asking

"Would you like Britney Spears if she played sonatas on the oboe instead of singing and dancing?"

"Would you like Beijing if it were in North Dakota, not China?"

"Would you enjoy the 4th of July if it fell on June 7 and people didn't celebrate or shoot off fireworks?"

What's the point of the question, really?

by Anonymousreply 2511/02/2013

sometimes trolls pose this exact question HOPING to "prove" that gay americans are single issue voters, and ONLY care about gay rights.

It always fails.

by Anonymousreply 2611/02/2013

If the GOP embraced gays and marriage equality, recognized womens' rights and a woman's right to choose, acknowledged science and climate change as real, admitted that we have unsustainable wealth inequality, agreed to undo the Bush tax cuts, closed the loopholes that allow for corporate welfare, and agreed to overturn Citizen's United with a constitutional amendment that limited campaign contributions and stated that corporations are not people, then I would consider supporting their party.

by Anonymousreply 2711/02/2013

Especially since republicans aren't prevented from voting in the poll, so you couldn't trust the numbers anyway.

by Anonymousreply 2811/02/2013

Nothing is worse to me than a "democrat" who will bitch and moan when it comes to the national level about how you're a traitor if you don't vote democrat, but then will turn around and happily vote Republican when it comes to their home base to suit their own selfish interests.

NYC residents were great for this when it came to Bloomberg and Giuliani. You vote Republican, you support the party. You don't get to pick and choose.

by Anonymousreply 2911/02/2013

Thanks for the poll results.

Good. We won't even bother then.

by Anonymousreply 3011/02/2013

That was easy. Now, for my next question,

If the GOP embraced hispanics and immigration reform, how many latinos would switch parties?

by Anonymousreply 3111/02/2013

The GOP made to major mistakes. One was the Southern Strategy the other was cozying up the religious right. In both cases they hitched their wagon onto a shrinking demographic.

by Anonymousreply 3211/02/2013

The GOP made two *

by Anonymousreply 3311/02/2013

r32, the GOP stopped bothering a few decades ago.

by Anonymousreply 3411/02/2013
Need more help? Click Here.