Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Are gays more sensual about fabric?

As a kid, I remember paying attention to how soft my flannel sheets were and how annoyed it was to feel tiny grains and lint in the white triangles of my jeans pockets. I loved tracing the embroidery or that braided trim on my granny's sofa pillows. Once my dad told me to stop fingering the couch. He could be a jerk.

by Umpyreply 3404/01/2015

The Touch... The Feel.... of Colton

The fabric of our lives

by Umpyreply 110/31/2013

Deep pile. Shag. Carpet. Doesn't that all say gay?

by Umpyreply 211/01/2013

No. People are either tactile or not, fuck all to do with being gay. I like astronomy, does that mean gays are more likely to be astronomers?

You may as well continue with the other stereotypes OP, are gays all lisping queens, are gays all pedophiles, are gays more likely to slap you viciously... I really don't like the idea that being gay somehow imparts other characteristics. It's damaging and plays to the slack jawed, homophobic stupidity of the uneducated. We're all individuals and shouldn't be labeled as anything based on our sexuality.

by Umpyreply 311/01/2013

R3=prissy cunt

by Umpyreply 411/01/2013

[quote] I loved tracing the embroidery or that braided trim on my granny's sofa pillows. Once my dad told me to stop fingering the couch

we're still ashamed of you

by Umpyreply 511/01/2013

Must be so, I got a roomful of it, plus a few stacks in the basement.

by Umpyreply 611/01/2013

I'm fingering some embroidery as I type.

by Umpyreply 711/01/2013

Yes, Gay men are. The problem that R3, doesn't seem to want to consider is that some of it is learned, or perhaps unlearned, behavior. I am sure that there are plenty of naturally tactile straight men who have suppressed that part of themselves because straight menGay men have fewer

by Umpyreply 811/01/2013

Make it work.

by Umpyreply 911/01/2013

OP / R4 is calling someone a prissy cunt while fingering his granny's sofa pillows. Oh my.

The problem that R8 doesn't seem to want to consider is that not everyone wanders around shrieking their love for chenille braiding at the top of their voices.

R3 is right. Stop labeling traits as being gay/straight. We're not all the same and we're not all seeping pre-cum at the thought of a hand-woven lace doily. Gay men and women are not more or less of anything, we just are who we are.

by Umpyreply 1011/01/2013

[quote] I loved tracing the embroidery or that braided trim on my granny's sofa pillows.

I had a similar relationship with a set of our lawn chairs and chaises longues, aluminum fold-ups with a multi-colored plaid fabric that was a little bit see-through. I loved putting my face on it and looking at different color combinations.

Color has always mattered to me. I started a whole matchy-matchy thing for boys when I transferred to public school my junior year in HS. I've wasted far too much money figuring out color combinations I like in furnishings.

Yesterday, a friend was over and we were planning dessert for Thanksgiving, and while we were going through Giuliano Bugialli's cookbooks, I rearranged dinnerware in different colors without realizing I was doing it.

Is this evidence that I'm gay? Who knows? Who cares? It's who I am. It's something I do.

You must be a bottom, btw. Tops find flannel sheets hard on the knees.

by Umpyreply 1111/01/2013

This thread is making me horny.

by Umpyreply 1211/01/2013

Well, I have no problem fessing up that I have a thing for velvet upholstery. I like the softness and stiffness of it. The way you could run your fingers to brush it or crush it down and the way it immediately pop back to position. Velvet clothing fabric is nice too but upholstery grade velvet and what is it mohair maybe that also behaves this way is what I enjoy.

by Umpyreply 1311/01/2013

This thread is useless without pictures.

by Umpyreply 1411/01/2013

When I go out with my friend Molly, I get so touchy-feely: everything gets so smooth, velvety, fuzzy, yummy. Same goes for fabrics. Oh and skin too. Subtly moist glowing skin.

by Umpyreply 1511/01/2013

I used to chew my parents windowsills.

by Umpyreply 1611/01/2013

[all posts by tedious troll removed.]

by Umpyreply 1711/01/2013

"Are gays more sensual about fabric?"

Of course you realize it's ridiculous to extrapolate a quality onto the entire gay population simply because you experience it.

by Umpyreply 1811/01/2013

I love corduroy - wide wale- for touch. On your thighs, it's a sensual feeling.

Donna Karan had wonderful understated sports jackets in wool crepe that looked minimalist, but were engineered to enhance your shoulders and drape down perfectly. They felt silky, but retained their shape for years.

Micro-fiber came out in suit wear, but it felt off - too thin, prone to chemical smells. It felt static-prone - like the fabric would attract animal fur and dust. Just bad.

They thickened micro-fiber and started throwing it on low-end furniture. It doesn't hold up very well and always looks like it belongs to a cat lady. The feel is off - compared to suede - like you're creating static electricity when you pet it.

by Umpyreply 1911/01/2013

[quote]Of course you realize it's ridiculous to extrapolate a quality onto the entire gay population simply because you experience it.

Actually one can. Gay men as a whole, perceive color more as women perceive color than as straight men perceive color, particularly the ability to tell the difference between different kinds of red.

Oddly, Lesbians perceive color the same as straight women do, rather than as straight men do.

by Umpyreply 2011/01/2013

It's back. As Alexis Colby once said to her cousin Sable:

"Oh my God, don't tell me you're still here. I thought you were just a temporary infestation."

by Umpyreply 2111/01/2013

Is there any research to back that up R20? I know that research has been done that shows about 50% of women have better color perception than men due to having an extra photopigment in their eyes but there was no mention of gay males having this same physical feature.

by Umpyreply 2211/01/2013

OP, don't try to defame all gay dudes with the broad brush of femininity and weirdness just because you are. Speak for yourself, man.

by Umpyreply 2311/01/2013

Substitute thread count snobbery for sensuality and you may have a winner.

by Umpyreply 2411/01/2013

I wish we could ban the word "dudes."

by Umpyreply 2511/01/2013

Yes, there is. It was fairly recent. I remember it specifically mentioned being able to tell different shades of red and variations on blue/green.

I wonder if that means that some Gay men may have a fourth pigment as well.

by Umpyreply 2611/01/2013

Any chance of a link to the research R26? It just seems strange that something that is a proven physical characteristic specific to women is being used as evidence of gays being 'different'.

Main point though, just because OP likes to caress old upholstery doesn't mean that it's caused by being gay.

by Umpyreply 2711/01/2013

Fabric sensitivity is an autism spectrum indicator.

by Umpyreply 2911/01/2013

What does that mean, actually, to be "sensual about fabric"?

by Umpyreply 3011/11/2013

Please stop perpetuating stereotypes about gay men

by Umpyreply 3111/11/2013

Please stop perpetuating stereotypes about autistics.

by Umpyreply 3204/01/2015

I love to be caressed by a flowing caftan cascading over my body in rippling rills of silken sensuality!

by Umpyreply 3304/01/2015

Yes, OP, Gay men as a group have particularly sensitive skin and only like soft things. Rolling Eyes as I type.

by Umpyreply 3404/01/2015
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!