Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

"Fat girl pants"

Why is it that overweight women all wear these damn things?? I rarely see thin women wearing them.

I went to an event today and many men and women in their 40s and 50s were in attendance. Most of the men wore polo shirts tucked in under their pot bellies and shorts.

Nearly all the overweight women wore capri pants. WHY??

by Anonymousreply 6105/08/2014

Just what I want to see; bulging fat rolls, nasty fatty feet with garish nail polish, and cankles.

by Anonymousreply 210/31/2013

You are presumably in a warm climate where men are wearing short sleeves and shorts. Fat women don't want to wear shorts out in public, jeans are too heavy, full length cotton pants for women are very hard to find. It seems that manufacturers are forcing the continuation of the capri trend. It's cheaper for them, they're only making 3/4 length pants.

by Anonymousreply 310/31/2013

Stick flaming pokers in your eyes. That'll keep you from seeing them.

by Anonymousreply 410/31/2013

Because they like telling everyone, "I dress for comfort!", as if slovenliness signifies some distinct virtue.

by Anonymousreply 510/31/2013

[quote] It seems that manufacturers are forcing the continuation of the capri trend. It's cheaper for them, they're only making 3/4 length pants

That's true. Someone at work asked a heavy coworker why she always wore capri style pants and she said the only thing she can find are old lady polyester stretchy pants or capri pants and the capri pants are at least made with decent material

by Anonymousreply 611/01/2013

Remember in the late 80s/early 90s when all fat women wore stirrup pants?

by Anonymousreply 711/01/2013

I just don't get how people get worked up over something like this.

by Anonymousreply 811/01/2013

When faced with a fat woman I merely turn my head to the side and gently press a perfumed handkerchief to my nostrils. How could I be expected to note what they're wearing, OP?

by Anonymousreply 911/01/2013

Because when you are thinner you can enter most shops and find a huge variety of clothing options. When you are fat, there are far fewer choices. That and the ones you see in what you call "fat girl pants" just confirms what you already think, so they may seem more prevalent.

I'm fat. I wear skirts and dresses usually.

by Anonymousreply 1111/01/2013

Wasn't Aunt Diane wearing these kind of pants on the day of her wild ride? I could have sworn she was.

by Anonymousreply 1211/01/2013

Because we don't care what you think, OP.

by Anonymousreply 1411/01/2013

r11 True. But with retailers like "lane Bryant" that exclusively make clothing for big women there is less reason to dress poorly.

by Anonymousreply 1511/01/2013

Most capri pants have elastic waist bands that stretch when you gain or lose a little weight. Most overweight ladies have given up trying to look good; fashion probably intimidates them.

by Anonymousreply 1611/01/2013

[quote]It seems that manufacturers are forcing the continuation of the capri trend. It's cheaper for them, they're only making 3/4 length pants.

This. This is also why women's shirts are made with 3/4 sleeves, and it's currently women's fashion to make everything two sizes too small. It's a shitty cost cutting move by the same people who have sucked the quality out of every other consumer item to make Mitt Romney another 5 cents per sale.

I was on Brooks Brothers, ready to drop $900 or so on a dark business suit for an upcoming trial, and their women's suits are now tailored exactly like the cheap polyester shit at Nordstrom. I don't even care for BB but it was a last hope. I guess I'm going to have to eventually give up and fly to Hong Kong.

I'm a size 6 or 8 petite, so this isn't a "fat girl" complaint. And I wear capris - typically linen - in summer in part because they go better with sandals, and in part to piss off OP.

by Anonymousreply 1711/01/2013

[quote]When you are fat, there are far fewer choices.

Yes, but not NO choices. My sister is heavy and dresses incredibly well. Google just turned up this list of Plus Size designers and retailers.

There is no reason to look sloppy and apathetic, no matter what size you are.

by Anonymousreply 1811/01/2013

Okay capris, unless you are 6 feet tall and 120 lbs do not wear capris. Why would you wear a pant that cuts you off at the calf and makes you looks squatter and fatter? In fact screw that - no one looks good in capris. Just like skinny jeans. Unless you are skinny..do not wear them. I constantly see these overweight teens and others wearing skinny jeans. No. no no no.

While we are at it can we agree no more cargo shorts that come down below the knee? Jesus people learn how to dress for your body type.

by Anonymousreply 1911/01/2013

I agree, r18, there are great sites and designers out there if you look and if you are in a position both in terms of time and money to make those purchases.

And it has improved: not every shop selling to my size assumes I want to dress like someone's aged mother or in sweat pants. They just have to get over the capri rut in some parts of the world.

by Anonymousreply 2011/01/2013

I just wear my caftan...it's free flowing and far more flattering!

by Anonymousreply 2111/01/2013

What ever happened to that show with the two english women who stopped horribly dressed people and showed them how to dress for their shape?

by Anonymousreply 2211/01/2013

R22, one of them (Trinny) is with Nigella's vile soon to be ex husband, Charles Saatchi!

by Anonymousreply 2311/01/2013

I have a mumu for every occasion.

by Anonymousreply 2411/01/2013

The food stamp cuts will fix this problem.

by Anonymousreply 2511/01/2013

I think big women look better when they don't scrape their hair back into tight buns.

by Anonymousreply 2611/01/2013

R12, I laughed way too hard! Aunt Diane is the best.

by Anonymousreply 2911/01/2013

r28 to quote Luanne De Laseppe "even Gucci makes mistakes."

Paid for or not, a pant that cuts you off at the calf and makes you look shorter and fatter? Why would you want to wear that?

by Anonymousreply 3011/01/2013

Because R30, when you're fat you're hot. A little breeze up the leg is nice sometimes. I am chubby and I wear lots of dresses, no capris though. I can tell you sweating in front of people looks way worse than a Capri.

by Anonymousreply 3211/01/2013

I wish they would bring back Elephant Pants for women. They were so stylish and attractive.

by Anonymousreply 3311/01/2013

(I know I'm going to get FFd on that one!)

by Anonymousreply 3511/01/2013

He wore bifurcated tents to which, rather idly, lapels, pocket flaps, buttons were attached in order to suggest a conventional suit

by Anonymousreply 3611/01/2013

The model in R34 has gorgeous gams. He actually looks good in those little pants.

I don't get the Jewish connection, but maybe I'm just not up to date with current anti-Semitic humour.

by Anonymousreply 3811/01/2013

The ideal woman body for DL is that of a 12 year old boy twink.

by Anonymousreply 3911/01/2013

Capri pants that end just below the knee have the effect of making short legs look longer (and supposedly therefore thinner) as the body then seems to be divided into thirds. Longer capri pants closer to ankle length only really tend look good on longer-legged women.

IMHO, caftans just make fat women look fatter. Empire-waisted (high-waisted) or wrap tops worn over capris, full length pants with a bit of a flare or a skirt look better. Leave the caftans to us, big ladies!

Also, another reason for some heavier woman buying/wearing more capri pants than full length ones is that they are also short -- petite -- and petite length pants can be difficult to find.

by Anonymousreply 4011/01/2013

Yet for some women, short Capri-like pants absolutely work--but only if your hair defies gravity and leans to the right.

by Anonymousreply 4111/01/2013

Are you fat, R42? Cake pops only make things worse, you know. And capris don't help, either.

by Anonymousreply 4311/01/2013

""Fat girl pants""

I ALWAYS do after climbing a flight of stairs.

by Anonymousreply 4411/01/2013

The reason fatties wear capris is because they're cooler than pants (insulation keeps the body much warmer than non-insulated types of people), and shorts ride up the fat leg, or show off too much of the cottage cheese. Trust me, cutting off half the leg or not, you would rather see capris on fat women than shorts.

by Anonymousreply 4511/01/2013

R46, being fat is already rather uncomfortable (not referring to psychologically, just physically). Many fatties take comfort wherever they can find it, both in clothes and food, obviously.

It's perfectly fine if you don't like it. It's also perfectly fine that fatties don't care how you feel about them in regards to fashion (of all things).

by Anonymousreply 4711/02/2013

r50 have you read ANY other thread on DL?

by Anonymousreply 5112/10/2013

It's called "Flyover Chic".

by Anonymousreply 5212/10/2013

[quote]no one should wear capri pants. fatties skinny, tall short. No one they are horrible.

On a beautiful, thin woman, Capri pants can be very stylish.

Bardot, Jackie O, Monroe, A. Hepburn... all wore Capri pants.

by Anonymousreply 5312/10/2013

Fat chicks destroyed Lululemon co-founders career.

by Anonymousreply 5412/10/2013

Thank you, r18!

I will take a look at that site.

As others have pointed out - many fat women would love to look good but stores typically don't sell anything FOR fat people. Big men have plenty of walk-in stores to shop that cater to their giant guts but it can be difficult to find a women's store that has NICE larger sizes.

by Anonymousreply 5512/10/2013

R37 Please waddle back to your Hoverround, and we'll find you a nice flattering sheet to wrap yourself in.

by Anonymousreply 5612/10/2013

Capri pants are ugly. Please do not wear them. They do not look good on you.

by Anonymousreply 5712/10/2013

I love, love R28!

by Anonymousreply 5812/10/2013

I think this is what we're talking about here.

by Anonymousreply 5912/10/2013

Some of you people should not have been born.

by Anonymousreply 6005/03/2014

R59, is that The Muse??

by Anonymousreply 6105/08/2014
Need more help? Click Here.