Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Do you believe in ghosts?

Why or why not?

by Anonymousreply 5411/01/2013

Weirdly I liked to believe, I'd like to see one, just the once, it would prove in life after death.

by Anonymousreply 110/31/2013

I believe in GHI at threads; there are too damn many.

by Anonymousreply 210/31/2013

Ghost

by Anonymousreply 310/31/2013

No. It's absurd.

by Anonymousreply 410/31/2013

Yes, I believe in ghosts. I may not have seen one personally but that doesn't discredit other peoples' experiences. People across all cultures have attested to their existence whether as ghosts, shades or wraiths.

by Anonymousreply 510/31/2013

No, because I'm not an ignorant idiot.

When you experience something strange, it's okay to say "I have no idea what that was."

It's not okay to say "Oh, that was obviously the disembodied spirit of someone who died but still has things to do on this spiritual plane!"

Talk about jumping to conclusions on little-to-no evidence.

And yes, I can discredit other people's experiences. Well, not their EXPERIENCES, but certainly their explanations for those experiences.

by Anonymousreply 610/31/2013

R6, I would like for you to spend this Halloween's nite in a completely full cemetery. Make sure you get there before midnight and then give me your profound explanations. No one here has ever been on a ghost or haunted tour? I've never seen a ghost personally but strange shit does happen and it can't be accounted with simple cognitive bias.

by Anonymousreply 710/31/2013

[quote]I may not have seen one personally but that doesn't discredit other peoples' experiences. People across all cultures have attested to their existence whether as ghosts, shades or wraiths.

People across all cultures attest to a God too, and yet….

by Anonymousreply 810/31/2013

Just because "strange shit does happen" doesn't mean it's supernatural.

Back in the old timey days, people thought lightning was "strange shit" and therefore from a God. Now we know better.

Strange shit just means we haven't figured out the cause yet. That's all.

by Anonymousreply 910/31/2013

R8, That just proves my point.

by Anonymousreply 1010/31/2013

Look gentlemen, there's a simple way to prove it. I don't need your rationalizations. Go put yourself in the field and test it. Simple right? Then come back to me.

by Anonymousreply 1110/31/2013

No. Why? Because I am not an irrational fool.

by Anonymousreply 1210/31/2013

I'm sane, normal, intelligent --ivy league grad degree -- level-headed, and I completely believe ghosts exist. They don't have white sheets on them and yell boo, but spirits live. My grandfather has a house on the cape that absolutely is inhabited by ghosts or spirits. Pretty much everyone who has stayed there has seen or heard them. They show themselves in strange ways: hearing someone walking up and down the steps; seeing a magazine's page carefully turning one by one, as if someone is reading it, etc. We all just live with the knowledge that we're not alone there.

by Anonymousreply 1310/31/2013

[quote]I'm sane, normal, intelligent --ivy league grad degree -- level-headed, and I completely believe ghosts exist.

Then you are neither sane nor intelligent, and definitely not rational.

Why would you "completely believe" in something that has ABSOLUTELY NO PROOF beyond the anecdotal (especially given most of those anecdotes can be explained away).

There are million dollar rewards for anyone capable of proving any sort of super-natural, extra-sensory, or "spiritual" event.

These rewards have gone unclaimed for decades and decades.

by Anonymousreply 1410/31/2013

Agrre with R6- no because I am not an idiot.

Neither do I believe in Santa or the tooth fairy, elves, unicorns, witches, vampires, werewolves... etc.

by Anonymousreply 1510/31/2013

I do believe in spooks. I do.

by Anonymousreply 1610/31/2013

WOOOOOO!!!

by Anonymousreply 1710/31/2013

Okay since some doesn't believe in ghosts. What about artificially created spirits. The UK had this program where they showed such. Ever heard of The Philip Experiment. Explain that. I really want to here from the deniers.

by Anonymousreply 1810/31/2013

r18 - Cite one credible source that verifies that experiment's claims.

by Anonymousreply 1910/31/2013

"R15" What would you do if you met one?

by Anonymousreply 2010/31/2013

R19. Look, the proof is in the pudding as they say. Put yourself in a position to experience the supernatural and then tell me what you think. Was it all an hallucination, temporary psychosis, or other? You not going to believe it until you see it, so do it. Forget citations and what others have to say. See it with your own two eyes then tell me honestly what was it or caused it.

by Anonymousreply 2110/31/2013

It's funny how absurdly angry it makes some people when others believe in ghosts.

Who are people who believe in ghosts hurting, exactly? It's not like they try to shove their beliefs down anyone else's throats that way so many religious people do.

And people who believe in ghosts don't explode with rage when other people don't believe in them. So I think it's the nonbelievers who are irrational...there's no other explanation for why they take it so personally when it has zero effect on them.

by Anonymousreply 2210/31/2013

Is R16 hiding a racist remark in his post?

by Anonymousreply 2310/31/2013

Turn in your gay card, r23.

by Anonymousreply 2410/31/2013

I was once, for most of my life, in the "no way, you're a nut" camp.

Then I had my own experience.

I don't like to claim what I saw and experienced was a ghost, but there was "something" that was witnessed by others simultaneously and described precisely the same.

I still believe that some claims are bullshit, like some in "Celebrity Ghost Stories" but others I 100% believe after my own experience.

For those here who want to claim I am irrational, idiotic, superstitious, and on and on... I can say you are smug, self-righteous, narrow-minded, and arrogant... and afraid.

There was another "Ghost" thread here a couple of years ago in which I went into detail.

by Anonymousreply 2510/31/2013

How do you explain me?

by Anonymousreply 2610/31/2013

R25, you should read more. About how the mind can play tricks on you, how your perceptions can mislead you, how suggestion can alter memory.

I'll bet if there was a video of your "experience" and you just saw it for the first time now, you'd be surprised at how different it was from what you remember.

If you knew more about how the brain worked, and about studies that show many of these 'feelings' and perceptions can be induced in the lab... clearly fake situations that the subjects feel are just as "real" as you feel your "experience" was... you'd be a bit more skeptical I think.

by Anonymousreply 2710/31/2013

[quote]you should read more

And you should try to comprehend what you read.

It's clear in my post that my experience was shared, in every detail.

How can you explain away that with claims about the mind playing tricks? How is it that my experience is precisely the same as others? Were our minds playing exactly the same tricks on us at exactly the same time and in the same place?

It wasn't just me.

by Anonymousreply 2810/31/2013

R28, instead of babbling on in ignorance, why don't you take my suggestion and learn more?

Seriously, you make yourself sound seriously foolish.

by Anonymousreply 2910/31/2013

Yes, R23 should probably turn in his gay card, but, to be fair, R16 left out a lot of the quote.

[quote]I do believe in spooks, I do believe in spooks, I do, I do, I do, I do believe in spooks, I do believe in spooks, I do, I do, I do, I do!

by Anonymousreply 3010/31/2013

R14 -- How much proof do you need to believe that there is some sort of energy that really can't be explained? Yes, the proof is anecdotal, but it's still proof. I've seen and heard far too many things at my grandfather's cape house for me to dismiss that it's not some sort of spirit that is causing it. Also, a friend of mine bought a used car. He would occasionally see someone sitting in the back sit when he looked in the rear view mirror. At first he was freaked out, but he got used to it. One time, when a few friends were in the back seat, he turned around, and the friends starting screaming. He asked what was wrong, and they told him that it wasn't him who turned around. The described what he looked like, and it was exactly like the person my friend would see in the rear view mirror. Yes, that's anecdotal -- no scientists were present and photos weren't taken -- but I believe that there was some sort of ghost in my friend's car. Why do we dismiss and not believe something just because we can't empirically prove it? Some things require faith, and the willingness to believe what might not be able to be proven.

by Anonymousreply 3111/01/2013

[quote]How much proof do you need to believe that there is some sort of energy that really can't be explained?

Let's start with "any", and go from there. Because right now, there is ZERO scientific proof of any such thing.

[quote]Yes, the proof is anecdotal, but it's still proof.

You apparently have a "FOX News" definition of the word "proof"... might I suggest a dictionary?

[quote]I've seen and heard far too many things at my grandfather's cape house for me to dismiss that it's not some sort of spirit that is causing it.

You hear things, and from that alone, can judge exactly what it is? Really? You're not at all reading into it, filling in gaps with your imagination, or jumping to conclusions? Seriously?

by Anonymousreply 3211/01/2013

Wisdom for R32.

by Anonymousreply 3311/01/2013

r32. If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, chances are it's a duck. We might be jumping to conclusions and filling in the blanks, but, pretty often, things are what they look like.

by Anonymousreply 3411/01/2013

Except, R34, in this sort of case, that has yet to ever be proven to be the case. Almost every one of these things that is every seriously looked into is found to be something completely explainable and not at all super-natural, and certainly not a "human spirit, visible and making sounds and stuff".

Sheesh.

by Anonymousreply 3511/01/2013

You think I could write those books by myself?

by Anonymousreply 3611/01/2013

Has anyone watched the Youtube videos of evps? There's a channel called Huff Paranormal that has some very compelling videos. He records evps and sessions with a scanning radio, and usually gets appropriate answers to his questions. Sometimes the voices on the radio even say his name.

by Anonymousreply 3711/01/2013

They're real. And I hate seeing them. The night before last was particularly frightening.

by Anonymousreply 3811/01/2013

Why are you so obsessed with ghosts?

by Anonymousreply 3911/01/2013

And here.

by Anonymousreply 4011/01/2013

And here

by Anonymousreply 4111/01/2013

And here

by Anonymousreply 4211/01/2013

And here

by Anonymousreply 4311/01/2013

There's no such thing.

Like unicorns, dragons, big-foot, the yeti, etc.

by Anonymousreply 4411/01/2013

There is nothing funnier than atheists who believe in ghosts.

...and astrology!

by Anonymousreply 4511/01/2013

I do. Since when was science the end-all-be-all of existence?

by Anonymousreply 4611/01/2013

Since the dawn of time, R48.

by Anonymousreply 4711/01/2013

R48,

Since the 1600s.

by Anonymousreply 4811/01/2013

But even through science, we don't know everything yet. But whaterrr

by Anonymousreply 4911/01/2013

You'll never know everything, R51. But that's hardly the point.

by Anonymousreply 5011/01/2013

I think it is.

by Anonymousreply 5111/01/2013

Then you're wrong about that too.

by Anonymousreply 5211/01/2013
Need more help? Click Here.