Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

iPAD with ATT or Verizon?

I want to get a new iPad with 3G. Thoughts on who has the best service?

by Anonymousreply 2311/01/2013

I only have wifi

by Anonymousreply 111/01/2013

Lemming.

Sheep.

by Anonymousreply 211/01/2013

Grow up, r2...JERK!

by Anonymousreply 311/01/2013

I've only used the Wifi, OP.

by Anonymousreply 411/01/2013

Question is useless without stating where you live.

by Anonymousreply 511/01/2013

With AT&T, which uses the GSM mobile data standard common in the rest of the world, you can roam on international networks while travelling. AT&T's international data plans are not cheap, but now that its GSM competitor T-Mobile is offering global data at no additional charge, it will be interesting to see if AT&T feels some pressure in that area.

Verizon and Sprint use the CDMA mobile standard, which is less common in other countries. You can use a Verizon iPhone abroad, but you have to buy a local SIM card. I assume (and may have no idea what I'm talking about!) that a Verizon iPad may have a similar limitation.

by Anonymousreply 611/01/2013

^Before anyone chimes in that "CDMA phones don't use SIM cards!", I realize now that I was thinking in pre-4S terms. Since the 4S, Verizon will activate the GSM antenna in your iPhone for international use; there's no SIM card involved. Even better, and an even example of why iPhones are better.

by Anonymousreply 711/01/2013

Why don't you just get a wifi one and get a personal hotspot on your cell phone plan? This costs about $5 a month through AT&T. Then you can use it with your laptop if you're away from Wifi, and save the extra $100 or so on the iPad. Plus it's faster.

by Anonymousreply 811/01/2013

Didn't both AT&T and Verizon contribute to Ted Cruz's Senate campaign?

by Anonymousreply 911/01/2013

iPads can also be used as a hotspot, which comes in handy. For example, some multimedia-rich items from the Kindle store, or music/TV shows/movies from iTunes, can only be downloaded over WiFi, so I use my iPhone and iPad as hotspots to download the content to the other device if I'm not already in a WiFi area.

by Anonymousreply 1011/01/2013

R10 Why do you need TWO hotspots? Don't you always have your phone with you? I have one of those portable hotspot devices, but I stopped using it once I got a cell phone with a mobile hotspot feature.

by Anonymousreply 1111/01/2013

R11, I use the iPad as a hotspot to download things *to my phone* that require WiFi.

by Anonymousreply 1211/01/2013

metropcs

by Anonymousreply 1311/01/2013

ipad cellular function does not work out of the US. You'd have to use the wifi component if you're travelling.

by Anonymousreply 1411/01/2013

[quote]ipad cellular function does not work out of the US. You'd have to use the wifi component if you're travelling.

This is not true, at least with the AT&T (GSM) version. On AT&T you can add an international data plan to your iPad just for the month in which you're travelling. Then you roam on one of their partner networks in the other country.

by Anonymousreply 1511/01/2013

^ I have a mobile share plan between my iPhone and iPad. I added an international data plan when I went on vacation earlier this year and sort of assumed that it would apply to both my devices; the wording on the website when I signed up was unclear.

When my AT&T bill came the next month, I was unpleasantly surprised to see a separate charge for each device.

I contacted their customer service to complain, and to my astonishment they removed the charge on my iPad. Maybe they are aware that they have a problem and were eager to make it right.

by Anonymousreply 1611/01/2013

why do you want 3g when 4g is available on them? But ..besides that the data plans on att and verizon are ridiculously expensive for what you get.

Who would even care about data plans overseas...if you think us data plans are expensive...try using it overseas.

stick with wifi unless you have a very specific reason to be connected all the time and if you do you are better off getting a iphone or android and an unlimited cell plan.

by Anonymousreply 1711/01/2013

Blubbb@@@@@@@

by Anonymousreply 1811/01/2013

[quote]why do you want 3g when 4g is available on them?

People use "3G" as a shorthand to refer to mobile data in general, as opposed to WiFi, since that was the term that was in use when the iPad was introduced. Of course now they're beyond 4G and on to LTE.

by Anonymousreply 1911/01/2013

and LTE is just the evolution of GSM (sim cards) depending on what band it supports..but again all that does not matter when data is soooooo expensive. The amount they give you is pretty much limiting to what you can do - and if you have a smart phone with a data plan you can do 99% of that already.

by Anonymousreply 2011/01/2013

I'm sorry you're poor.

by Anonymousreply 2111/01/2013

OP, put that money in a growth mutual fund from Vanguard with expenses under 1%. Your money will double in 7 years.

by Anonymousreply 2211/01/2013

With the iPhone 5S on Verizon, the mobile hotspot feature is included for free - no extra monthly charge.

by Anonymousreply 2311/01/2013
Need more help? Click Here.