Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The sadness of the Today Show

[all posts by racist flame bait troll removed, ISP notified with full text of all posts.]

by Anonymousreply 7411/06/2013

Is Universal putting out a new Flintstones movie?

by Anonymousreply 110/31/2013

Or maybe they don't assume their audience consists entirely of 20-somethings who think the world began when their mama's egg for fertilized?

by Anonymousreply 210/31/2013

[all posts by racist flame bait troll removed, ISP notified with full text of all posts.]

by Anonymousreply 310/31/2013

Their demographic is frau age forty+. Period end of story.

by Anonymousreply 410/31/2013

And Good Morning America and Live with Kelly & Michael dressed as Kim Kardashian and Miley Cyrus. Give me The Flintstones any day.

by Anonymousreply 510/31/2013

What was Matt Lauer dressed as?

by Anonymousreply 610/31/2013

Home sick a few weeks ago. One of the morning shows had this ridiculous group on in the plaza that sang the stupidest song ever. Something about what the fox would say.

And the fraus were all jiggling and giggling and dancing in fox outfits. I felt sad for them. Morning television is really the least common denominator for Americans.

by Anonymousreply 710/31/2013

I'd bet the demographic is even older than 40, but the point is - they know who their demographic is, and that's who they pander to. Their strategy isn't to attract new viewers but to keep the ones who've been watching for years.

by Anonymousreply 810/31/2013

Yeah OP, its one of the more pressing problems facing the world today.

by Anonymousreply 910/31/2013

Still much better Halloween than GMA!!!

by Anonymousreply 1010/31/2013

by Anonymousreply 1110/31/2013

Stupid is as stupid does. My lover watches the beginning of the show every day, god knows why? I always seem to have something to do in another part of the house at 7:00A.M. The crowds outside say it all. The front office types must think that Middle America, or Middle Earth for that matter, will be interested to view their dreck, if they see others of their kind so whipped up into a frenzy. Sad is the correct word to characterize the goings on in front of AND behind the camera. The players, the sets, the ungodly length of the show all add up to nothing. They are obviously too hidebound to try something new, or admit they are years behind the times. Some heads will roll, but probably not anytime soon.

by Anonymousreply 1210/31/2013

R13, then your world is small. Very very small. You need to meet a LOT more people, honey.

by Anonymousreply 1410/31/2013

It's also Throwback Thursday on Today, with performances by Billy Idol and Loverboy.

by Anonymousreply 1510/31/2013

Although I am not a big fan of Matt's, and think he needs to leave the Today show, I do find him sexy.

by Anonymousreply 1610/31/2013

I get what you're asking, OP. I'm a longtime viewer of the show and loved both the Katie/Matt combo and Matt/Meredith duo. The show careened off course as soon as Ann was in the anchor chair (something she was clearly not good at as evidenced by years of fill-in hosting). And the way she was fired made it sooo much worse. Now Matt is seen as the bad guy, and Al seems angry all the time. It really is about the on-screen chemistry in the morning. I do like the new set and I'm a Savannah fan, but the whole Orange Room/Carson Daly thing just seems desperate and out of place. So, I'll often tune in at 7:00 (old habits die hard), but find most mornings I've switched to CBS by 7:30. Very newsy, interesting, and the anchors have great rapport.

by Anonymousreply 1710/31/2013

by Anonymousreply 1810/31/2013

The problem with dumbing your show down to the American public is that the American public keeps getting dumber more quickly.

by Anonymousreply 1910/31/2013

R6. Matt "has been" Lauer went as Pam Anderson.

by Anonymousreply 2010/31/2013

Hold me, J. Fred Muggs!

by Anonymousreply 2110/31/2013

Carson does not wipe very well

by Anonymousreply 2210/31/2013

LOL, r22! OTHER people (or maybe it is just you!) have posted stuff like that about Carson before, that he has poor, shall we say "anal hygiene." Is this just a wildcard guess or....shudder.

by Anonymousreply 2310/31/2013

[all posts by tedious, racist idiot removed.]

by Anonymousreply 2410/31/2013

R24, so you watch them, then?

by Anonymousreply 2510/31/2013

by Anonymousreply 2610/31/2013

Matt had a nice package in that suit

by Anonymousreply 2710/31/2013

I was surprised that The View Halloween show didn't suck. Whoopie had on a really great costume and Jenny McCarthy went as Miley Cyrus' tongue. Jeffrey Ross did a really wicked bit playing a medium. So far it's the best of the day. And I am not a fan, at all.

by Anonymousreply 2810/31/2013

This show is terrible.

by Anonymousreply 2910/31/2013

[quote]dressed as someone from a television show from the 1980s

Did someone over the age of 21 happen to see this and can tell us who the costume was?

by Anonymousreply 3010/31/2013

[quote]No I don't watch them. I don't need to know who the latest missing white girl is, I have deadlines due at 8:00 am, so I'm on my tablet in the early morning. It's called working for a living.

Cut the bullshit. I've worked in the commercial art field over 25 years.

At the agency, where I have one of my main accounts, the studio manager has a small TV in his office.

Mr. Laptop/Tablet, just because a person is 'working' doesn't mean they don't have diversions at work. Especially as most people spend a large portion of their lives at work, how can they not have diversions.

I don't know one person, in any field, who works their entire workday!

At this account, one of the illustrators, has a bookshelf stereo system in his cubicle and the illustration manager does yoga in her office.

You just keep toiling away at your laptop and tablet, because we all know that being very diligent at work always leads to making major bucks! Ha-ha.

by Anonymousreply 3110/31/2013

Ann Curry must be happy she's no longer a part of this train wreck.

by Anonymousreply 3210/31/2013

While GMA and Today unveiled their Halloween costumes, over at CBS they were interviewing astronaut Chris Hatfield about his new book.

by Anonymousreply 3310/31/2013

Because being on your laptop and having the t.v. on at 7:00 in the morning are mutually exclusive? Somehow I manage to do it every day.

by Anonymousreply 3410/31/2013

Well, apparently Mister Laptop American Success Story has time to take breaks from his hectic, important day to post on the Datalounge. So, you know, just sayin...

by Anonymousreply 3510/31/2013

R7 is 900,000,000 years old.

by Anonymousreply 3610/31/2013

[quote]While GMA and Today unveiled their Halloween costumes, over at CBS they were interviewing astronaut Chris Hatfield about his new book.

YES! And this is exactly why I only watch CBS in the AM. It's for grown-ups. Intelligent grown-ups. No mention of that K-tramp or garage sale finds or Darva Conger.

Thank you CBS.

by Anonymousreply 3710/31/2013

[quote] YES! And this is exactly why I only watch CBS in the AM. It's for grown-ups. Intelligent grown-ups.

But they are in third

by Anonymousreply 3810/31/2013

Which says everything we need to know about the American populace, R39.

by Anonymousreply 3911/01/2013

by Anonymousreply 4011/01/2013

I see a few minutes of The Today Show from time to time in the mornings at my local Dunkin Donuts. It always has the same effect: It liquefies my brain which then leaks out of my ears.

It's a truly embarrassing spectacle that we as a nation can't seem to stop talking about!

by Anonymousreply 4111/01/2013

Mr. Tablet/Frauen is certainly putting all you old vagines in your place!

by Anonymousreply 4211/01/2013

[quote]Today they were all 'jammin' to some 1980s metal/hair band on "the plaza"...

I saw that part on the TV in my doctor's waiting room. It was "Working For The Weekend" by Loverboy. It was sad and bewildering.

by Anonymousreply 4311/01/2013

"Next up we'll discuss what was said about our costumes yesterday..."

This is the NEW Today show.

by Anonymousreply 4411/01/2013

R34, you did not notice that I was dressed as Charlie Rose and he was dressed as ME?

by Anonymousreply 4511/01/2013

GMA and Today are only giving the public what they want.

If you notice CBS is still in third place.

by Anonymousreply 4611/01/2013

I think the whole cast and crew is so tired after getting up at 3am to work, that all they can do is just go through the motions.

by Anonymousreply 4711/01/2013

Jane Pauley and Katie Couric only got up at 5AM.

by Anonymousreply 4811/01/2013

I can't believe how many DLers watch this shit, and even worse, post links here to the show's fucking website.

My god, don't any of you people have jobs? Is everyone here 70 and up?

by Anonymousreply 4911/01/2013

If Dave Garroway were alive to see what's become of the Today Show, he'd shoot himself.

by Anonymousreply 5011/01/2013

[quote] If Dave Garroway were alive to see what's become of the Today Show, he'd shoot himself.

Wasn't he the one that had a monkey as a regular on the show?

by Anonymousreply 5111/01/2013

R53, Dave Garroway shot himself in real life.

by Anonymousreply 5211/01/2013

Dave Garroway's co-host was BOOGER-EATING BABOON!

by Anonymousreply 5311/01/2013

[quote]Dave Garroway's co-host was BOOGER-EATING BABOON!

Kathie Lee was around back then?

by Anonymousreply 5411/01/2013

Does the CBS show generate lower advertising rates because they're third in the ratings, or higher rates because their audience is of a supposedly superior intelligence/economic standing?

Or does the superior audience intelligence preclude gullibility to advertiser influence?

by Anonymousreply 5511/01/2013

by Anonymousreply 5611/01/2013

I have no animus toward life's frauen, and would miss them greatly if they all were Raptured to that great Curves in the sky ...

That said, the Today show is nothing BUT fraubait. Fraunip. Purina Frau Chow.

by Anonymousreply 5711/02/2013

I had the same thought as OP. All of the other talk shows featured costumes that reflected people in the news (except for Whoopi goldberg who dressed as The Mandarin on The View), and the Today show just seemed off topic. I think they're trying to play up the warm and fuzzy TV nostalgia as part of their re-branding. They seem to be emphasizing a quaint, wholesome vibe.

by Anonymousreply 5811/02/2013

I stopped watching ABC when it became clear they had made a deal with the Zimmerman defense for sympathetic/"exclusive" coverage

by Anonymousreply 5911/02/2013

The Today show producers know what they are doing. You just watch, they will turn the ship around. Actually, that's when Matt will "retire." He will go out on top.

by Anonymousreply 6011/02/2013

R 62 "The Today show producers know what they are doing."? Since when?

by Anonymousreply 6111/02/2013

[quote]Cut the bullshit. I've worked in the commercial art field over 25 years.

"Commercial art field" ? I see someone's been watching too much "Mad Men." No one in advertising actually *draws* these days, dear, and if you actually *worked* in the field, you'd know it. Today they just call it "creative." (As a proper noun.) Unless, of course, you're working in some tired Bumfuckian time warp of a town like St. Louis or something...

[quote]At this account, one of the illustrators, has a bookshelf stereo system in his cubicle

...and on the off chance you still had anyone fooled with this schtick, you lost them there. "Bookshelf stereo system"? Seriously?? We're two months from 2014! NOBODY USES THESE THINGS! They were replaced LITERALLY A DECADE AGO by iPods! And today cube dwellers listen to streaming Spotify on their earbuds, not some Stone Age relic back in the reject pile with "boomboxes" and "answering machines"!

by Anonymousreply 6211/02/2013

The CBS Morning Show has been stuck in 3rd for well over 30 years and is going to continue to be irrelevant.

by Anonymousreply 6311/02/2013

[quote]Could somebody here in television tell me what might account for this?

Sure: "The Today Show" and "GMA" generate $500 million a year in ad revenue. Each. Why on earth do you think they stretched "Today" out to four full hours? For shits and giggles? For comparison's sake, NBC typically LOSES money each year on its primetime roster. Last year the entire evening NBC lineup *lost* $35 million!

In reality, NBCUniversal makes money in four places: morning TV, late night TV, sports, and cable. You may think Jay Leno is as tired and flyover country-appealing as it gets -- and you'd be right -- but the entire *reason* NBC engaged in its epic cock fight with Leno and Conan five years ago is because "The Tonight Show" nets a profit of $80 million a year. Or at least it used to, before the Leno-Conan fight sent viewers running to Letterman in droves, and Leno's now being quietly ushered to the exits, but NBC is hoping Jimmy Fallon can fix things. It's for this same reason "SNL" keeps going on and on and on, much like the Energizer bunny, 35 years after reaching its peak cultural relevance: it makes a shit ton of money.

by Anonymousreply 6411/02/2013

Thank you R64. Jeez, who ARE these DL'ers who watch this shit? I'm and old frau (52 y/o) and even I don't tune into these cringeworthy, flyover frau-fests in the morning. In fact, I don't watch much TV at all. Haven't for years. I get almost all my news, gossip and media entertainment on-line.

by Anonymousreply 6511/02/2013

After Conan, Leno brought back the Tonight Show and has made it NO. 1 again despite his haters.

Yes, the Today show and the Tonight show are the only two shows that consistently makes money for NBC. That's why it was so crazy for them to push Leno out for Conan at that time. Conan threatened to walk if he was not installed so NBC panicked and caused a debacle. Now, people are still not sure if having Fallon replace him is the right choice. At least this time they did not force out Leno like before.

Here is the rating for Tonight show. It is still the clear winner.

Leno, Fallon Outperform ABC, CBS Programs in All Key Demo, Total-Viewer Categories

UNIVERSAL CITY, Calif. — Oct. 31, 2013 — NBC’s “The Tonight Show with Jay Leno” and “Late Night with Jimmy Fallon” have dominated the broadcast competition for the late-night ratings week of Oct. 21-25.

The two programs outscored the ABC and CBS competition in their respective time periods in every key ratings category — adults, men and women 18-34, 18-49 and 25-54, plus total viewers. Note that CBS’s lineup was in rebroadcast and Friday’s “Kimmel” was an encore.

“Late Night” generated a 10-month high in viewers 18-49 with 770,000 persons, highest since the show averaged 776,000 during the week of Dec. 17-21, 2012 (the week of “The Voice” finale). “Last Call with Carson Daly” delivered a 13-month high in viewers 18-49 with 477,000 — best since averaging 537,000 during the week of Sept. 3-7, 2012.

Season to date, Leno is off to his biggest start five weeks into a new TV season in three years in 18-49 viewers and total viewers. Fallon is at a four-year high in 18-49 and has generated his biggest overall audience five weeks into a new season in the five years he’s been hosting “Late Night.”

Versus the first five weeks of the year-ago season, Leno is up 13% in 18-49 viewers (with 1.111 million vs. 981,000) and up 9% in total viewers (3.628 million vs. 3.334 million). Fallon is up 25% in 18-49 viewers (791,000 vs. 632,000) so far this season and up 16% in total viewers (1.861 million vs. 1.598 million).

At 1:35 a.m. ET, “Last Call with Carson Daly” is also delivering sizable gains versus the first five weeks of last season, up 21% in 18-49 viewers (434,000 vs. 359,000) and up 11% in total viewers (951,000 vs. 857,000).

“Tonight” has now delivered bigger 18-49 audiences than “Late Show” for the last 49 weeks in a row and topped “Kimmel” for 38 of their 42 head-to-head weeks. In total viewers, Leno has out-delivered “Late Show” for 53 weeks in a row and “Kimmel” for 42 of 42 weeks.

Fallon has now generated bigger 18-49 audiences than “Late Late Show” for 54 of the last 55 weeks and prevailed in total viewers for 51 of the last 53 weeks. Versus “Nightline” in their head-to-head half-hour, Fallon has out-delivered the ABC series for 42 of 42 weeks in viewers 18-49 and 37 of 39 weeks in total viewers.

(According to in-home viewing figures from Nielsen Media Research for the week of Oct. 21-25. Ratings reflect “live plus same day” data from Nielsen Media Research unless otherwise noted. Season-to-date figures are averages of “live plus seven day” data except for the two most recent weeks, which are “live plus same day.”)

ADULTS 18-49

11:35 p.m.-12:35 a.m. ET NBC “Tonight,” 0.9 rating, 4 share CBS “Late Show,” 0.5/2 * ABC “Kimmel,” 0.6/3 *

12:35-1:05 a.m. ET ABC “Nightline,” 0.4/2

12:35-1:35 a.m. ET NBC “Late Night,” 0.6/4 CBS “Late Late Show,” 0.3/2 *

1:35-2:05 a.m. ET NBC “Last Call,” 0.4/3 *

11:35 p.m.-12:35 a.m. ET NBC “Tonight,” 3.7 million viewers CBS “Late Show,” 2.6 million viewers * ABC “Kimmel,” 2.5 million viewers *

12:35-1:05 a.m. ET ABC “Nightline,” 1.5 million viewers

12:35-1:35 a.m. ET NBC “Late Night,” 1.8 million viewers CBS “Late Late Show,” 1.4 million viewers *

1:35-2:05 a.m. ET NBC “Last Call,” 1.0 million viewers *

* “Late Show” and “Late Late Show” were in rebroadcast last week and Friday’s “Last Call” and “Kimmel

by Anonymousreply 6611/02/2013

[quote]My lover watches the beginning of the show every day, god knows why

Your lover? Really? There are queens who still use that word?

by Anonymousreply 6711/02/2013

You don't think it's possible, R64, that the bookshelf stereo system might contain an iPod as one of its main components?

What setup are you operating that gives such rich, satisying sound? This I gotta hear.

by Anonymousreply 6811/02/2013

He told you, R70. Earbuds. Anyone who isn't a clueless aspie knows that it's rude to inflict your music on neighboring cube drones.

by Anonymousreply 6911/02/2013

r69 At least I got one.

by Anonymousreply 7011/02/2013

Tomorrow on TODAY, Matt and Al are going to get prostate screenings!

by Anonymousreply 7111/06/2013

by Anonymousreply 7211/06/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!