Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

ABC sitcom with offensively stereotyped gay kid

[all posts by racist flame bait troll removed, ISP notified with full text of all posts.]

by Anonymousreply 6911/01/2013

I caught the series opener. James Caan is the most annoying part of it; however..... I can see your point, OP The fey/gay kid IS a bit over the top, if they toned it down a bit, he'd be less likely to give folks "the icks." I'm actually surprised the kid is written like that. Why be so in the viewers' faces, with what they had to know would be a very controversial character? Maybe they were waiting for public reactions, and would alter to suit? I suppose we have to admire their guts in having such a character? I wonder what the test groups thought of it? All that aside, I don't see this show making it.

by Anonymousreply 110/31/2013

How so, r2?

by Anonymousreply 310/31/2013

[all posts by racist flame bait troll removed, ISP notified with full text of all posts.]

by Anonymousreply 410/31/2013

I've been watching and the gay kid has calmed down a bit, sort of like Sue Heck's first boyfriend on The Middle. And no one mocks him or teases him about it, either.

I'm more concerned with a TV-PG rated show and the pervasive off-color language -- douche, bitch, sexual references, etc., every episode.

My nine year old daughter plays little league and wants to watch the show, so we do, but I try to distract her if something unsavory is coming up.

by Anonymousreply 610/31/2013

by Anonymousreply 710/31/2013

Calmed down a bit?

Did you see the Halloween episode? He was complaining that the year before the local bullies broke the candelabra to his Liberace costume!!!!

What was he doing before? Inviting the little league to the downtown glory hole?

by Anonymousreply 810/31/2013

Is he as flaming as Will Truman's nephew?

by Anonymousreply 1010/31/2013

Has the kid revealed whether or not he's a bottom?

That would be comedy gold!

by Anonymousreply 1110/31/2013

MTV's Awkward has an insufferable gay character called Clark who wins the title of Winter Princess and calls everyone sweetie. Things are moving backwards as far as nuanced gay characters in mainstream shows are concerned.

by Anonymousreply 1210/31/2013

I don't watch this show but I do like the concept of including "queeny" boy characters on TV. It reinforces that we are born this way.

by Anonymousreply 1310/31/2013

Isn't James Caan a rightwinger?

by Anonymousreply 1510/31/2013

The younger brother on Ugly Betty was that flaming. And he came out as gay on the show. The concept is not new.

by Anonymousreply 1610/31/2013

by Anonymousreply 1710/31/2013

by Anonymousreply 1810/31/2013

Yeah, R18, it's one thing to be organically femme, quite another to be Paul Lynde, Charles Nelson Reilly, Rip Taylor, and Snagglepuss all rolled into one.

by Anonymousreply 1910/31/2013

There are two other boys on the team who are also gay, but are so normal-acting that you'll never notice who they are. Happy now?

by Anonymousreply 2010/31/2013

There truly IS a "ick" factor to that overly exaggerated feminization of a male character whether it is on a television program or in real life. It screams "NOTICE ME!!!".

by Anonymousreply 2110/31/2013

R21, thank goodness that never happens here on the DL.

by Anonymousreply 2210/31/2013

[quote]Me thinks that this gay kid hits a little too close to home for some of you girleenas, which is why you're upset.

I happen to be a straight-acting gay guy, dumbass!

by Anonymousreply 2310/31/2013

He wasn't Betty's younger brother, he was her nephew. And while the character was very broad at times (fashion savvy! theatre obsessed!) there was an essential sweetness to him and the way his family supported him.

At the time, it was groundbreaking for a network show to depict a self-aware gay kid.

by Anonymousreply 2410/31/2013

The thing is, without these gay characters on sit-coms you'd be complaining that there are no visible gays on TV. OK, Southland had a gay cop character who was masculine and mostly closeted, if that's any better.

by Anonymousreply 2510/31/2013

by Anonymousreply 2810/31/2013

The nephew on "Ugly Betty" seemed more fey than the kid on James Caan's new show.

There is also a gay male character on "The Middle", IIRC he's a cheerleader and the best friend of Patricia Heaton's daughter on the show. He's very over-the-top.

by Anonymousreply 2910/31/2013

More stereotypical than Glee's Kurt? How can it be?

by Anonymousreply 3010/31/2013

r32, believe me, it can.

by Anonymousreply 3110/31/2013

R34, see this poll. The number of closeted people here is astounding and should give you some insight as to why people here are homophobic.

by Anonymousreply 3210/31/2013

This thread is trolled by closeted gay men who are terrified by the notion that someone might realize they're gay.

by Anonymousreply 3310/31/2013

[quote]straight-acting gay guy.

Do Jewish people ever use the phrase, "Christian-acting Jewish guy"?

by Anonymousreply 3410/31/2013

This show will probably be canceled anyway (not because of the stereotypes, but because of low ratings. It's tanking)

by Anonymousreply 3510/31/2013

Are there any non-stereotypical gay characters on tv these days? Happy Endings had Max, but it's gone now.

by Anonymousreply 3610/31/2013

There will be a lot of this happening now. It actually started with Will and Grace, and then came Modern Family. But now that we are finally "equal" the stereotypes will become rampant.. We are the new "step-and-fetch-it" crew. All done in what will be termed "good fun." However, the people who already "don't like us" will use this as fodder to further fuel their hatred. Then, there will be those who will say: "awww, look at the homos, aren't they cute?!"

Gay men who just sort of blend into the crowd with everyone else, (probably most of us,)will be considered "no fun".

It's a bit disconcerting.

by Anonymousreply 3710/31/2013

Well, the kid is British, and his mom is thrilled that he's gay, and he's an integral part of the team, so there's that.

Love, love, love Maggie Lawson. Kid playing her son is very non-TV cloying. He kissed a bully in the pilot, FWIW.

Not groundbreaking TV, but like Lawson enough to watch this. Can't take the notion that anyone would be offended seriously - LOL!

by Anonymousreply 3810/31/2013

"step and fetch it," r40? Lol. Get educated and read a book sometime, toots.

by Anonymousreply 3910/31/2013

R37, yes, it's called "schmuck".

by Anonymousreply 4010/31/2013

Shameless has a non-stereotypical gay teen played by Cameron Monaghan and the guys his character has been with have been closeted, but not stereotypical.

by Anonymousreply 4110/31/2013

Society and media have enough representations of gay males as feminine, weak, girly, and campy. If you are a gay men who is like that, you see yourself in media all the time. There is a lack of representations of gay and bisexual males as completely masculine, mainstream, and one of the guys/bros. If you are a mainstream masculine bi/gay dude, you rarely see yourself represented in media. This imbalance is unhealthy.

by Anonymousreply 4210/31/2013

We are talking about TV, r50, not Ibsen drama. TV (and its ilk) rely on broad caricatures. It is not difficult to see why sit-coms would (lazily) rely on the nance stereotype.

by Anonymousreply 4310/31/2013

Sometimes I feel a little sorry for the kids who have to play these roles. Kids are pretty immature at that age, and the actors must get a lot of teasing/bullying (unless things have changed a lot since I was a kid.)

by Anonymousreply 4410/31/2013

[quote]There is a lack of representations of gay and bisexual males as completely masculine, mainstream, and one of the guys/bros.

Bros?

Meanwhile...40% of homeless youth are LGBT kids. Why not focus on something like that? Something meaningful, instead of this stupid, ridiculous, pointless, "I am desperate for approval by straight society" bullshit on how gay men act. And, most gay men, closeted or out are feminine anyways. I don't know who you think you're fooling. "Masculine" gay men ping further than Pluto.

by Anonymousreply 4510/31/2013

I've seen a lot of gays in real life who act like that, if they didn't exist the stereotype wouldn't exist.

by Anonymousreply 4610/31/2013

The highest quality cable TV drama cannot come close to matching up to Ibsen, r52. You clearly have baby taste and watch far too much television. Read a book sometime to supplement your infantile diet of mass culture.

by Anonymousreply 4710/31/2013

What would you suggest, R57? What are these other personality traits?

by Anonymousreply 4810/31/2013

[50] I've noticed that a lot of gays don't react kindly to gay men who are perceived to be 100% straight by both gays and non-gays (those guys may be a minority, but they do exist). As soon as those guys come out of the closet they go from being considered hot and desireable forbidden fruit, to being laughed at for being 'just another queen'. Other gay men also contribute to the emasculasation/ assxualisation of gays, it's not just the straights. I also sense that straight women dislike masculine gays, they love the flamboyant and girly ones, but as soon as they come across a gay man they find really hot, the whole 'woman scorned' attitude comes into play.

by Anonymousreply 4910/31/2013

Is Maggie Lawson still on "Psych" too or is that show over? Did she split with James Roday?

I missed both "Psych" and "White Collar" last season.

As for the gay character on this show, TV is filled with stereotypes, to name a few: the fat schlubby grumpy husband with the hot vivacious wife (if she gains any weight, the fat fug husband goes ballistic), the spoiled bitchy female teen daughter who is superficial and dumb, the horny jock son, the old grandparnets with no filters and many more.

It's really not a big deal if a gay person is a stereotype on a few TV shows, gay people aren't stereotyped on all TV shows.

by Anonymousreply 5010/31/2013

That truly and only is found on Datalounge, R59. I do not see that vitriol and hate exhibited by gay men in real life. And, most people who post here, are closeted.

by Anonymousreply 5110/31/2013

Any character on a TV comedy who is not a straight and white will be portrayed in some form of stereotype. There are so few non white, non straight characters in sitcoms just being different is the easy laugh for the writers. How could a gay character be funny if he's not stereotyped? Same holds true to the very few Asians or Lations? The only characters that sitcoms are now afraid to stereotype are African Americans.

by Anonymousreply 5210/31/2013

[quote]The only characters that sitcoms are now afraid to stereotype are African Americans.

Because for years the only roles black actors could get were maids, butlers, slaves, and comic relief. Then things got a little better when they got cast as prostitutes and criminals. Then they moved up a little more as the jive talking, hustlers. Now, we're always cast as the upstanding public official, judge, doctor, lawyer or wise best friend.

Here's the thing, I hate those Tyler Perry comedies and all that over the top mugging and Jesus shit, but I hated it because I was worried how it would reflect on ME. Then one day I woke up and realized that it doesn't matter. If people want to think that I'm some over the top Jesus praying, talking in movie theaters, bad tipping, loud talking stereotype, then so be it. People are going to think what people are going to think. You can't control others' thoughts.

OP just needs to admit that he hates queeny characters because he doesn't want the world to think that "he's one of those gays". Guess what, it doesn't matter. A feminine gay man, boy or something in between is still gay. That behavior is not bad nor less than the behavior of a so-called straight acting gay man.

When you come to grips with your own sexuality and who you are are as a person, what others think or say... just doesn't matter.

by Anonymousreply 5310/31/2013

"... but I try to distract her if something unsavory is coming up".

With your unique impression of Niecy Nash?

by Anonymousreply 5410/31/2013

Loved your comment r63, you're too smart for DL.

by Anonymousreply 5510/31/2013

I don't see what the big deal is. Be happy for representation at all. The more gay roles show up in any movie or TV show, the more visibility, the better for everyone. Obviously we don't want anything indicating abuse is okay, but bitching because the role is too femmy? Seriously? YOU have the problem with acceptance and making space for all types of people. Hollywood at least works, in its schlocky way, to be inclusive, to slowly change public perception. Even if gay roles are used as a means for laughs, it's still increased visibility.

by Anonymousreply 5610/31/2013

And those "femmy" little boys are the ones who could use a little help. They are the ones who can't hide who they are and who are often targets for bullying, so OP grow up.

by Anonymousreply 5710/31/2013

I am shocked at the number of people that don't think this is a big deal. I haven't seen the show, but I doubt the OP is lying.

by Anonymousreply 5810/31/2013

Not surprisingly, the show has been cancelled. Nobody made a big deal about it because they weren't watching.

by Anonymousreply 5911/01/2013
Need more help? Click Here.