Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Cabaret

Let's discuss the political milieu in Berlin that inspired 'Cabaret', the film based on Christopher Isherwood's book 'Goodbye to Berlin'...

Did the Nazis hate the cabarets in Berlin because they were mostly Jewish-owned?

Weren't ordinary Germans, even those with Nazi leanings, more sexually expressive back then?

For comparison, was the cabaret scene in Berlin really more decadent than Paris or NYC?

by Anonymousreply 1110/31/2013

Snoooooooooooooooze

by Anonymousreply 110/31/2013

I think it at least seemed more decadent in Berlin because it was playing out against such a hugely fascist backdrop.

by Anonymousreply 210/31/2013

It was set in Berlin because of all the handsome young Aryans living there.

by Anonymousreply 310/31/2013

It was set in Berlin because Christopher Isherwood lived there. Read a book! This one is from "I am a Camera"

by Anonymousreply 410/31/2013

It was placed in Berlin, Germany because Siemieniakowszczyzna, Germany took too long to read in the closing credits.

by Anonymousreply 510/31/2013

My name is Dirty Daisy I sing and I dance in a bar Each man that loves me Shall come to regret it A trollop am I, That's a fact.

A big, shiny dick I take as it suits me And I open myself to each Man who will hate me. So piss off, you weakling, You disgust me and then Run off to find some real Manly men.

My name is Dirty Daisy, I live just for misery and pain. Be careful my boy, You're in danger, alas, A heartless bitch, that's what I am. A leech and a lowlife, An untrue swine, Beat me down to my knees And throw me a dime.

My name is Dirty Daisy And love has brought be nowhere You send me a letter About romance and what not Now what the hell did you have in mind? You kiss my feet, I couldn't care less. Grab me by the head And I'll blow you again, If I bore you, fuck off And forget me while you can,

by Anonymousreply 610/31/2013

It's my favorite wine!

by Anonymousreply 710/31/2013

What OP is asking is if anyone believes that the Kit Kat Club was more decadent than the Rainbow Room.

by Anonymousreply 810/31/2013

Some of you apparently have a very dim recognition of history.

by Anonymousreply 910/31/2013

One might also say a fair amount of ignorance. Christopher Isherwood wrote a book called "Christopher and his Kind" (still available), which contained "the truth" behind his fiction "Goodbye to Berlin" from "The Berlin Stories" best known first in its stage adaptation by John Van Druten (though he worked with Isherwood), as "I am a Camera". Cabaret was a musical from years later, which took further liberties, and finally the movie became best known. It had a lot to do with what Bob Fosse thought would be effective on film.

In thirties Berlin, poverty and unemployment led to a class of young men and boys who were available for hire and became part of a "scene", but sometimes became fond of the usually foreign gentlemen who gave them money and other gifts. In America these young guys were known as "trade"; they could function with men but usually were straight, had girl friends and wives and basically needed the money. That culture led actual "homosexuals" of this class to dress in drag, full on or modified in various degrees.

Berlin was a huge city, very sophisticated and home to Magnus Hirschfeld, one of the first psychologists to study "inversion" as it was known -- he was himself gay. He had a house with meeting rooms and a museum, which was a place of pilgrimage for homosexual and bi- sexual men and some women. Isherwood knew him and his lover well. Though same sex activity was against the law (Hirschfeld fought hard against this), Berlin was a "free city", especially for Englishmen -- in England the police were far more vigilant.

As Isherwood reveals in "Christopher and his Kind", heterosexuals also liked the freedom of Berlin, which was very cheap to live in for foreigners. This is what allowed the female he befriended to live more or less comfortably (as a small family income allowed him to do) and she was able to "put out" without judgment, though the real character was tough and unsentimental and knew the score about "Christopher".

The Nazis loomed through this period but achieved complete power only gradually and of course obliterated this scene.

There were "gay meccas", mostly in the Middle East, but Paris was also an easy and safe if more expensive place to look for gay sex. Italy had been very cheap into the early twenties, and remained reasonably accommodating to gay men in the more rural and very poor South, with Rome as sort of a nexus of activity. Northern Italy though was far less accommodating and the Fascists, though less well organized and brutal than the Nazis, were sometimes effectively intolerant of open homosexuals.

After Berlin, Englishmen with a little money, found Depression and war time New York, very similar, though there was a stronger emphasis on "identification" as homosexual, as opposed to the "anything goes" culture among the poor in Berlin, Tangiers or Southern Italy, which meant that fewer young men were readily available. (Isherwood joined his close friend W. H. Auden in New York for a time, but then journeyed to LA. Auden had been in Berlin but it was the poet Stephen Spender who was there more often with Isherwood.

The "high end" cabaret scene everywhere was a different matter; this was expensive even in Berlin and very expensive in Paris and New York. Of course it had a gay aspect but that didn't really predominate as it did in the lower class bars, clubs and beer halls that were meeting places for poorer "boys" and the only moderately well off men who wanted to meet them.

by Anonymousreply 1010/31/2013

Thank you, R10.

by Anonymousreply 1110/31/2013
Need more help? Click Here.