Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I went to the store to buy bacon this was $9 for a pound of center cut!!!

by Anonymousreply 7911/02/2013

This is nature's way of telling you to stop eating that shit.

by Anonymousreply 110/30/2013

We raise our own swine, thank God, and can control the quality and flavor of our bacon products from piglet to fatback, loin and sides cut and hanging in one of the smokehouses.

It's too bad you paid that much for what was, no doubt, an inferior cut appallingly prepared squirts of brine and injections of faux smoke. If you were just a little enterprising and less lazy, you could be enjoying your own.

by Anonymousreply 210/30/2013

Last time I bought it, it was $5 dollars I think.

Bacon is worth being a pig in my next life. I love bacon, it may be my favorite food.

by Anonymousreply 410/30/2013

Mine too, r4. People always comment on the fat and chemicals, but I always buy nitrate and hormone free, and I never eat more than a couple pieces at a time.

by Anonymousreply 510/30/2013

Tell me you had enough to also buy some farm fresh eggs and fancy butter!?!?

by Anonymousreply 610/30/2013

Would someone please stuff an apple in R7's mouth and skewer him with an iron spit? We're sick to death of his stupid ranting.

by Anonymousreply 810/30/2013

[R7] The inflation rate is low at 1.5%. Get a fucking grip you lying motherfucker.

by Anonymousreply 910/30/2013

[quote]If you were just a little enterprising and less lazy, you could be enjoying your own.

Some of you are just insane.

by Anonymousreply 1010/30/2013

In my local Shoprite, which used to have the best prices, a case of plain seltzer has gone up from 5 dollars to 9 dollars. A 4 dollar jump, on just that one item. OJ is $4.99 for 59 ounces. WTF says food prices are not going up.

by Anonymousreply 1110/30/2013

The Wall Street Journal says food prices ARE expected to go up dramatically due to floods, fire, drought and even radioactive Japan. I'm stocking up on scotch.

by Anonymousreply 1310/31/2013

If you're going to pay that much, OP, you may as well go to a decent butcher shop and get the good stuff.

by Anonymousreply 1510/31/2013

Everything has gone up. I just don't understand why the US government kept saying that inflation is at an all time low.

I have not had a raise in 5 years but my rent, food, transportation have all gone up. These are all the essentials. Not to mention the non essentials like movie ticket prices, clothing and even frozen yogurt!

by Anonymousreply 1610/31/2013

I'm embarrassed to admit this, but I buy a lot of my food at the dollar store. Their bread, veggies, dry foods and canned stuff is just as good as the regular grocery store. If I weren't so broke I'd shop at Whole Foods.

by Anonymousreply 1710/31/2013

What is worse is the hookers where I live have raised their rates as well.

by Anonymousreply 1910/31/2013

I buy stuff from the discount store as well. Whole grain Bread is $1.65 for the loaf. I freeze the bread for sandwiches later.

by Anonymousreply 2010/31/2013

OP, just buy platter bacon from the meat dept at WF. It's about $5.99 a lb, $6.99 a lb. of the applewood stuff. And just buy as much as you need. We bought 2 rashes (2 slices) tonight for $1.08 in total.

by Anonymousreply 2110/31/2013

R9 That's a measure of the Consumer Price Index, not historic inflation.

We've had Quantitative Easing for 5 years. The effects of the end of the drought might see the increase in the price of foodstuffs mitigated, and the increase on domestic natural gas has mitigated energy costs.

But a reasonable person can't dismiss R7's concerns out of hand. "Inflation" might be low, but interest rates l, saving and borrowing, are near zero. People's purchasing power has eroded.

Check rrstaurant prices from a takeout menu from a year or ywo ago vs current. Increasing much more than tbe CPI. Certainly mote than salaries.

This doesn't have to be an ideological catfight. It might concern affluent singletons or 2 income households less than it does working poor families not receiving Fed or state assistance, but it's a real concern.

by Anonymousreply 2210/31/2013

Bad light at airport, sorry for typos and autocorrect glitches

by Anonymousreply 2310/31/2013

I certainly wish it will not affect the price french truffles this spring!

by Anonymousreply 2410/31/2013

R22, I totally agree. I wish more people would point this out rather than stupidly repeating how low the inflation rate is.

Maybe for economists, but for us real people, it has been a struggle.

by Anonymousreply 2610/31/2013

Yellow squash and Zuchini is a fucking $1.48/ lb at Walmart. I can recall when it was 19 cent/lb.

by Anonymousreply 2710/31/2013

The CPI does not include food or fuel price increases because Social Security is tied to the CPI. If these two items were included, Social Security pensions would increase to keep up with prices. They haven't.

It's one method of serving a growing retiree population with a shrinking pool of worker's contributions.

Really, it's time to stop thinking any of these official numbers have anything to do with your economy.

by Anonymousreply 2810/31/2013

You can easily shop lift at the dollar store. just a bunch of high school kids working there and they don't give a shit.

by Anonymousreply 2910/31/2013

Put a ribeye down your pants when you are in dogfood aisle. I do it all the time. I'm gaining weight and my cholesterol is zooming through the roof.

by Anonymousreply 3010/31/2013

R26 I've lived in a country with continual devaluations of its currency (against the dollar) - people get by, but it's not good.

That's what the US is starting to feel like, a nation with a devalued currency. The collapse of the real estate bubble and the bank contagion in 2008 might have the appearance of having been contained, but there's no real feeling of confidence or robust recovery.

It's startling that that isn't the prime mover in politics now, instead of inflammatory ideological nonsense. Both parties have failed badly at coming to terms with the economic reality, positing real strategies for growth and prosperity. The Democrats know how to campaign, but seem dumbfounded at anything bit theory and rhetoric. And the Republicans...pplitical Tourette's.

No one seems really concerned with the pressures on the middle class.

by Anonymousreply 3110/31/2013

I am always one to look for a bargain where I can find it. I too have taken up shoplifting at the dollar store. The employees are all living on minimum wage and are pissed off so they don't even bother with me. I saved over 9 dollars this week by shoplifting.

by Anonymousreply 3210/31/2013

[quote]Yellow squash and Zuchini is a fucking $1.48/ lb at Walmart. I can recall when it was 19 cent/lb.

That salmonella and pesticide coating ain't cheap, ya know!

by Anonymousreply 3310/31/2013

[quote]Hog Futures Advance on Signs of Higher Pork, Ham Demand By Dalton Barker - Oct 22, 2013 12:06 PM ET

by Anonymousreply 3410/31/2013

R16, that's because greedy corporations and landlords are just raising prices for more profit and that has nothing to do with inflation of costs.

by Anonymousreply 3510/31/2013

R34, should I invest my husband's money in pork bellies again???

by Anonymousreply 3610/31/2013

center cut bacon? why not just buy the package bacon.

by Anonymousreply 3710/31/2013

Better than that hooker routine you tried last time!

by Anonymousreply 3810/31/2013

Why would anyone pay those prices when shoplifting is such a great option?

by Anonymousreply 3910/31/2013

Are you shoplifting trolls serious? Not only do you drive up costs for the rest of us (ok to be honest I'm not sure if I believe this but it has been repeated to me many times). More importantly, you could get caught and prosecuted. No one will hire a person with a shoplifting record. Too much to lose for $9 in groceries. Hell, if you're going to steal, why not steal good stuff anyway?

by Anonymousreply 4010/31/2013

U R an idiot, r35.

Collusion is one thing and fairly easy to prove the more people are in on it, but competition will prevent one bacon seller from just raising prices.

The others will gladly take their marketshare.

by Anonymousreply 4110/31/2013

When I shoplift at the Dollar Stores I almost feel like the staff likes me being they don't have to ring me up or bag my stuff. Everyone wins.

by Anonymousreply 4210/31/2013

I like it when the market puts two nice ribeyes into one sealed package. It is a perfect size for sliding down the front of my white underpants and holding it there---just suck in the gut a little and wear a loose fitting, untucked T-shirt.

You save about $13. My freezer is full of ribeye steaks.

by Anonymousreply 4310/31/2013

Apparently R45 has a lot of extra room in his underpants.

by Anonymousreply 4410/31/2013

I see what you did there r46, you clever dog, you.

by Anonymousreply 4510/31/2013

This is only the beginning. We will see prices spike like crazy. All you loyalist can keep your head in the sand, but reality is telling a different story and it's not pretty. We are in for a horrible time.

by Anonymousreply 4610/31/2013

You think I could steal bacon? Slip it under my shirt? I don't know if taking the chance of getting caught would be worth it?

by Anonymousreply 4710/31/2013

There ain't room for any more meat in my pants. I'd have to put them in my purse.

by Anonymousreply 4810/31/2013

Just buying food, cleaning products and personal products, take up more money then any of my other bills. I'm wondering if I should just go ahead and switch to all beans and rice? A bottle of detergent is $12 dollars and then...every thing else, all necessities, cost a fortune. I don't know how I'm going to make it.

by Anonymousreply 4910/31/2013

If money is too tight to mention just think about pocketing the small things. Now that winter is here for many of us it is a lot easier to grab the small things and put them inside the coat. I am saving about 45% on my monthly grocery bill this way.

by Anonymousreply 5010/31/2013

[quote]The Wall Street Journal says food prices ARE expected to go up dramatically due to floods, fire, drought and even radioactive Japan. I'm stocking up on scotch.

Funny that the War Street Journal would try to deflect anyone from pointing to the Federal Reserve printing trillions as a culprit in the rising prices.

Oh, wait, no. They are owned, heart and non-soul by the Banksters.

by Anonymousreply 5211/01/2013

Check the link.

It compares the current "hedonic adjustment" method vs. the method from 1990. It shows a +/-5.5% price inflation rate.

It's the equivalent of "Let them eat cake!"

by Anonymousreply 5311/01/2013

[quote][R16], that's because greedy corporations and landlords are just raising prices for more profit and that has nothing to do with inflation of costs.

Please take a course in basic, simple, kindergarten level economics.

Unless the government is preventing competition, or subsidizing them, landlords and corporations cannot raise prices. Simple, basic, pre-teen Econ101. If corps or landlords could arbitrarily raise prices then nothing would stop them from raising them to $1,000,000/unit.

Logic is your friend, R35- not some Evil RethugliCrat conspiracy.

by Anonymousreply 5611/01/2013

lol why are so many of you shoplifters...people are going to start profiling gay men as shoplifters since so many of us do it

by Anonymousreply 5711/01/2013

What did you say R57???

by Anonymousreply 6211/01/2013

a year or a year and a half ago there were a bunch of news reports that said the price of bacon was going up. I forgot was the reason was

by Anonymousreply 6311/01/2013

by Anonymousreply 6411/01/2013

[quote]I assure you "all" the money in the booming stock market is NOT going to the wealthy.

You win the stupid prize! No, only 99.9% goes to the wealthy.

Are you stupid, or just too ignorant to look up the facts? The latest data shows that over 90% of the gains over the last 5 years have gone to the top 10%.

by Anonymousreply 6511/01/2013

The other day I was asking some of my married friends how much food items cost these days (e.g., milk, eggs, cereal). I was pretty amazed...mostly because I don't go grocery shopping so I had no idea how expensive everything has become.

by Anonymousreply 6611/01/2013

–All told, average inflation-adjusted income per family climbed 6% between 2009 and 2012, the first years of the economic recovery. During that period, the top 1% saw their incomes climb 31.4% — or, 95% of the total gain — while the bottom 99% saw growth of 0.4%.

–Last year, the richest 10% received more than half of all income — 50.5%, or the largest share since such record-keeping began in 1917. Here is how the top earners break down: Top 1%: incomes above $394,000 in 2012; Top 5%: incomes between $161,000 and $394,000; Top 10%: incomes between $114,000 and $161,000.

–The housing and stock markets give and they also take away. The one-percenters saw their incomes slide 36.3% during the 2007-2009 recession; incomes of the 99-percenters fell 11.6% during the downturn. “The fall in top decile income share from 2007 to 2009 is actually less than during the 2001 recession from 2000 to 2002, in part because the Great Recession has hit bottom 99% incomes much harder than the 2001 recession, and in part because upper incomes excluding realized capital gains have resisted relatively well during the Great Recession,” Mr. Saez wrote.

by Anonymousreply 6711/01/2013

good analysis

by Anonymousreply 6811/01/2013

[quote]..mostly because I don't go grocery shopping so I had no idea how expensive everything has become.

you live in a cave?

by Anonymousreply 6911/01/2013

Your ignorance of economics is astounding but illustrates how badly educated most high school grads really are. Good GOD, you're dumb.

by Anonymousreply 7011/01/2013

R60 is so on-point it is sick. Listen to his words, DL fools.

by Anonymousreply 7111/01/2013

Another strange thing that I don't understand. The brains at the Federal Reserve seems much more optimistic about the economy. While jobs creation is not as good as it could be, they seems to think that it is at least on the mend.

It bothers me that the government and the people seem to have different experiences and views of what is really going on.

by Anonymousreply 7211/02/2013

I just got back from grocery shopping and managed to shoplift half of the things I carried home. Being able to wear a big coat sure does help. I am saving money left and right.

by Anonymousreply 7311/02/2013

R2 = smug foodie.

by Anonymousreply 7511/02/2013

And the jobs that are created are all low pay or part time. Our small middle class is having to pay the entire tax bill. It's not fair.

by Anonymousreply 7611/02/2013

[quote]2 rashes

Did you also buy some calamine lotion?

by Anonymousreply 7711/02/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!