It's fun

by Anonymousreply 110/30/2013

Lucy Goosey or Loosey Goosey?

by Anonymousreply 210/30/2013

What is turkey lurkey?

by Anonymousreply 310/30/2013

What the fuck are you on about, OP?

by Anonymousreply 410/30/2013

It's uplifting. How can it not make you smile?

by Anonymousreply 510/30/2013

Turkey Lurkey Time (which, even though I am elder, I never heard of pre-DL):

by Anonymousreply 610/30/2013

Turkey Lurkey time is a famous number from the Broadway musical Promises, Promises. It is a number known by a bazillion gays of ALL ages for those who are into such things. "Show tune queens" I suppose is what the term is. It is silly and hilarious and fun and the choreography caused many dancers to literally have to seek out chiropractic treatment. Seriously.

Promises, Promises was revived a few years ago on Broadway with Sean Hayes and Kristin Chenowith. A whole new generation of gayboys got to see a fresh interpretation of Turkey Lurkey Time.

by Anonymousreply 710/30/2013

Thank you, OP! I was wondering the same thing. It makes zero sense to me.

by Anonymousreply 810/30/2013

"A whole new generation of gayboys got to see a fresh interpretation of Turkey Lurkey Time."

Yeah, and the new choreography SUCKED! Completely unmemorable and unworthy of this song's history!

by Anonymousreply 910/30/2013

R8, hey, I used to think the same thing. "What a dumb song." BUT, the more I watched it, I realized the choreography is quite famous, quite specific, quite well known by many people. Look at those head turns and the ENERGY in that number! Those are athletes! The song kind of grows on you until you start to like it and don't know why. "A snowy, blowy Christmas. A mistletoey Christmas.." I still cannot understand a lot of what they are saying but, eventually, EVERYBODY knows its "Turkey Lurkey Time."

by Anonymousreply 1010/30/2013

R9, and that is TOTALLY TRUE. Vastly inferior version of the number.

by Anonymousreply 1110/30/2013

The only thing I dislike about it is that turkey isn't really associated with Christmas as much as it used to be. Now it's strictly a Thanksgiving icon. So the Christmas theme doesn't really work, as far as I'm concerned.

by Anonymousreply 1210/30/2013

It's beloved because of Camp. But not as beloved as THIS...

by Anonymousreply 1310/30/2013

Well, R12, I don't know where you live, but here in the good old United States of America, everyone knows Thanksgiving is the first day of Christmas. What are you, part of the War on Christmas or something?

by Anonymousreply 1410/30/2013

What R9 said.... the choreography for the revival was awful. Rob Ashford is a hack. They should have paid the Michael Bennett Estate and used the original choreography.

by Anonymousreply 1510/30/2013

And one for Mahler:

by Anonymousreply 1610/30/2013

Boys, THIS is the "Turkey Lurkey Time" you need to be watching. Start at 3.50 mark.

by Anonymousreply 1710/30/2013

R16, thanks so much - brilliant.

Another favorite rendition (not sure how we got here, though)from one of my very favorite singers:

by Anonymousreply 1810/30/2013

Thanks, R18, that was delightful.

Why, oh why, did that awful Barbra leave out the Mahler verse? (I know the answer, I know the answer.)

by Anonymousreply 1910/30/2013

And then there's this, but you have to watch R17 first.

by Anonymousreply 2010/30/2013

DL loves it because of the tall drink of water in the center.

by Anonymousreply 2110/30/2013

Actually, R21, I rather like the juice glass dancing stage left of him.

by Anonymousreply 2210/30/2013

The melody reminds me of part of a Gershwin tune.

by Anonymousreply 2310/30/2013

"It's beloved because of Camp."

It's true that a low-budget movie introduces the song to a new generation of Dataloungers. I'd never heard it before, but the damn thing is one of the great earworms. I don't seek out the song, but it still keeps getting stuck in my head!

Don't go out and see the movie, BTW, because the only good part of it has been posted at R13.

by Anonymousreply 2410/30/2013

Because "Wicked" is three hours long!

Because it's good campy fun!

by Anonymousreply 2510/30/2013

Would one of our sturdy and athletic DLers please wrap her thighs around the OP's throat and give it a firm close-and-jerk to the side? We would like to hear the bracing snap of closure for another asshole who posts inane and smug threads for no purpose but the masturbatory pleasure of gigging gay people.

Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 2610/30/2013

Don't forget this drag version of "Turkey Lurkey Time" with an appearance by Mink Stole:

by Anonymousreply 2710/31/2013

"It's TUR-key LUR-key time..."

::SNAP::

by Anonymousreply 2810/31/2013

There this guy...he did the video of former Oscar winners...

by Anonymousreply 2910/31/2013

I like him, R29.

by Anonymousreply 3010/31/2013

Speaking of which, is it too early to start the DL's perennial "Thanksgiving horror stories and holiday arrangement bitching" thread?

I loved those.

by Anonymousreply 3111/01/2013

I can't stop singing this stupid song.

by Anonymousreply 3211/01/2013

R32, told ya, told ya, told ya so.

Sincerely, Grace Adler

by Anonymousreply 3311/01/2013

It got worse. I was whistling it while waiting on line at the grocery store, and the girl who was waiting in front of me glared at me. I was going to ask her if it was the tune itself or the whistling, but she advanced to the register too quickly.

Talk about an earworm.

by Anonymousreply 3411/02/2013

from a bacharach benefit-

by Anonymousreply 3511/02/2013

More, more.

by Anonymousreply 3611/02/2013

The little guy on the right in R20's clip is HOT! Anyone know who he is?

by Anonymousreply 3711/02/2013

According to the clip description, his name is Hunter Bird.

by Anonymousreply 3811/02/2013

R39 should get his gun out, put it in his mouth, and pull the trigger. The world would be a slightly better place without him in it.

by Anonymousreply 4011/03/2013

R41 You come here and accuse us of being "Uncle Tom style blahblahblahs" because we like a song and [bold]I'm[/bold] a troll?

I was right. Shoot yourself now. Aim for that place where you'd have a heart, except you don't have a heart.

by Anonymousreply 4211/03/2013

Is this a thread about who can hate himself MORE? I mean, it's a fun song, a thrilling dance number and that's that. Love it or not but why judge? I mean, really?

by Anonymousreply 4311/03/2013

I beg your pardon, R43, but I was simply enjoying this thread -- troll-dar me -- when jackass R39 came along for a namecalling session. He's the only one hating here, and it isn't himself he's hating on.

by Anonymousreply 4411/03/2013

R44, okay, then I am with you. I was enjoying this thread, too (a LOT) and really don't appreciate someone shitting all over it, either. I just thought maybe a flame war had started. Maybe that angry person will go away. After all, Tom Turkey ran away but he just came home!

by Anonymousreply 4511/03/2013

I cannot stop singing this song, R45. Cannot stop. I like the version in R35 best. I can hear the lyrics most clearly.

by Anonymousreply 4611/03/2013

The original was of it's time in the late 60's. Show stopping number. And watching Donna Mckechnie dance is thrilling. They slowed the tempo down for the revival and of course, Ashford ruined it with his awful choreography and his turkey laid an egg.

by Anonymousreply 4711/03/2013

Pull the stick out of your ass, R39, because you don't get to tell other people what they can enjoy.

by Anonymousreply 4811/04/2013

The appeal of Turkey Lurkey explained for the gay impaired among us.

by Anonymousreply 4911/04/2013

Miss Vilanski of Accounts Receivable!

Miss Wong of Mimeograph!

Miss Dellahoja of Petty Cash!

SING IT GIRLS!

by Anonymousreply 5011/04/2013

That was so much fun, R49. Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 5111/04/2013

R39 hit the nail on the head. I watched a clip of the song and it makes zero fucking sense (notice how nobody has yet to put the use of the song in context? All they can say is that it's fun and the original choreography was hard on the performers!).

by Anonymousreply 5211/04/2013

R52, here is the Wiki on the show. Scroll down if you need your synopsis of how the number fits into the plot. It's simply the office Christmas party and everyone is "having fun."

And if you agree with R39, then you have serious issues, honey.

by Anonymousreply 5311/04/2013

[all posts by racist flame bait troll removed, ISP notified with full text of all posts.]

by Anonymousreply 5411/04/2013

R54 is awesome. Even if I don't get the point of Turkey Lurkey Time, we should all be able to respectfully disagree with each other.

by Anonymousreply 5511/04/2013

R54, someone who suffers "psychological issues" of the "depth" you imagine would go out and shoot someone himself. Blowing off an asshole like R39 online is harmless, and probably psychologically healthy.

It's bad enough to have to listen to the homophobic rantings of the religious wrong out there in real life. Who wants to read the vicious rhetoric spewed by (presumably gay) a gayhater like R39 here, in what is at least nominally a gay forum?

Please.

by Anonymousreply 5611/04/2013

R55, really? You think by putting forth his hateful spew, R39 "respectfully disagrees"? If so, you're the one with deep "psychological issues." Or you haven't learned to read.

by Anonymousreply 5711/04/2013

[all posts by racist flame bait troll removed, ISP notified with full text of all posts.]

by Anonymousreply 5811/04/2013

Then you're just as bad as R39, R58.

Stay proud of that.

by Anonymousreply 5911/04/2013

No one has mentioned ME, the DEFINITIVE Turkey Lurkey?

by Anonymousreply 6011/04/2013

[quote] nobody has yet to put the use of the song in context?

It's a trio of office workers doing a "party piece" at the Christmas party.

by Anonymousreply 6111/04/2013

I'm so glad you guys posted the Turkey Lurkeys. I had no idea this existed and I'm loving every version of it but particularly the original high energy version.

This is better than Patti Lupone singing disco Rio.

by Anonymousreply 6211/05/2013

I can't tell you how many times I keep coming back to these wonderful Turkey Lurkey songs. I think tomorrow I'll see what Amazon has in stock for me for this.

Have you any suggestions?

by Anonymousreply 6311/14/2013

Why are we talking about it?

The original staging is out of this world.

The Michael Bennett choreography- it manages to looks like an office party that organically erupts into "Hulabaloo dance party"- but is a fucking Broadway showstopper.

Donna McKechnie and her rubber neck and back.

The pit singers doing the groovy Bacharach vocal back-ups. Hip and ground breaking then- just fun now.

The bizarre Hal David lyrics that would later sink Lost Horizon.

Jonathan Tunick orchestrations- with a full pit!

An overall level of Broadway craft on the staging/creative side that seems to be missing lately.

I doubt DL will be talking about numbers from Memphis and Kinky Boots in 35 years.

by Anonymousreply 6411/14/2013

I would NEVER write anything that jejune!!!

by Anonymousreply 6511/14/2013

Seth Rudetsky is so annoying. Can you imagine trying to watch a movie at his house?

Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. Shut up.

All night long.

by Anonymousreply 6611/14/2013

R64, I like your style. C'mon over here and sit beside me in this cafe.

by Anonymousreply 6711/14/2013

R64, I forgot that the original Promises, Promises was on vinyl and not CD, dammit.

But I went to Youtube and found the complete complete soundtrack for the 2010 with "Just Jack" Sean Hayes

How would you describe his apparently uncontrollable vibrato?

He can land solidly on less than a quarter note, but give him quarter note or more and that uncontrollable turkey-waddle vibrato is evident. Is it appropriate or just poor musicianship?

by Anonymousreply 6811/14/2013

bump

by Anonymousreply 6911/21/2013

by Anonymousreply 7011/25/2013

So over this constant gab about 'who's making what?' for Thanks-pigging and the big Black Friday pigs-rushing-to-the-retail-trough I could PUKE. No wonder the rest of the world hates us.

by Anonymousreply 7111/25/2013

[quote]I doubt DL will be talking about numbers from Memphis and Kinky Boots in 35 years.

Wait till you see Big Freedia's "Twerky Lurky Tyme."

by Anonymousreply 7211/25/2013

Well, for a while iTunes had what must have been a digital bootleg of the original 1968 cast recording. It was found under "David Merrick" and I downloaded it. But they've taken it down now.

by Anonymousreply 7311/25/2013

[bold] It's Turkey Lurkey Time! Donna McKechnie Shares the Story Behind the Dance [/bold]

Tony winner Donna McKechnie chats with Playbill.com about performing in the original cast of Promises, Promises, including the Act One closing number, "Turkey Lurkey Time."

When asked to write a special Thanksgiving piece on the legendary showstopper "Turkey Lurkey Time" from Promises, Promises, I instinctively agreed. But as time passed, I began to have serious reservations about taking this on. This song is beloved by musical theatre fans across the world and its impact has extended beyond the Act One finale of Promises, Promises, including a memorable performance in the movie "Camp" and a recent mash-up with the Scissor Sisters' "Let's Have A Kiki" on "Glee."

"Turkey Lurkey Time" was a seminal achievement for choreographer and future director Michael Bennett and is hallowed ground, which I really don't want to desecrate. Who am I, someone who doesn't like dance, to write about "Turkey Lurkey Time"? No disrespect to the art — I understand that this is one of my limitations — but it seems 99% of the time, once the choreography starts, my eyes glaze over.

I pulled up the popular YouTube clip of Donna McKechnie leading the original Broadway cast of Promises, Promises in the number at the 1969 Tony Awards, closed the door to my office and sat quietly for a moment to clear my mind.

It's a 1960s office holiday party — very "Mad Men" — and three office "girls" are doing a little dance for everyone as they sing the song. It's hard to take my eyes off Donna. There's something incredibly graceful and elegant, athletic and sensual about the way she bends backwards and extends her arms in what I'm thinking is a trademark of hers, although I actually have no idea if that's true. I've read about a lot about Bennett, and I grill my friend, choreographer Jason Wise (whose mentor is Tommy Tune, who, in turn, was mentored by Bennett), so I'm schooled to notice that Bennett doesn't bring the chorus in until the very end section, when everybody's repeating "Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells." This technique highlights that moment and that step in a way that elicited an ovation before the song was finished and ended Act One of Promises, Promises in a rush of excitement. I watch for that, and it is as described. (Jason had also told me to look for the cute moment where Donna almost starts dancing with her drink in her hand and then turns around to get rid of it before assuming the first position.)

I start watching other versions of "Turkey Lurkey Time" to broaden my sense of the song. YouTube user "FabTV" has a good-quality video from the original Bennett production, but with a somewhat different cast, notably deficient in the Donna McKechnie department. The short clip I find of the City Center Encores! production is slick and sexy, but less compelling, and the footage from the recent Broadway revival recalls why the number made so little impact on me in the first place. I check out the "Glee" version and love Sarah Jessica Parker and Chris Colfer doing "Kiki," but there's barely any "Turkey Lurkey Time" at all. The "Camp" version is a fun homage to the original.

(More at link)

by Anonymousreply 7411/29/2013

[quote] I forgot that the original Promises, Promises was on vinyl and not CD, dammit.

Kritzerland released it on CD recently. Though perhaps it's sold out and been deleted. They even went back to pitch correct Jerry Orbach's flat notes, thankfully.

by Anonymousreply 7511/29/2013

Bumped because it is Christmas and we need this!

by Anonymousreply 7612/25/2013
Need more help? Click Here.