Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Phyllis Schlafly Has Had It With People Thinking Statue Of Liberty Welcomes Immigrants

Phyllis Schlafly, the Queen Mum of rightwing hate, is getting pretty tired of the poor and the huddled masses yearning to breathe free. So yesterday, she tossed a tempest; in a radio commentary, she insisted that the Statue of Liberty actually “has nothing whatsoever to do with immigration.” Schlafly also dismissed Emma Lazarus’ poem “The New Colossus” as some disgraceful graffiti that actually ruined the monument. In her version of the statue’s history, “people who had nothing to do with this great gift from the French were allowed to paste a plague on the base of the statue with a quotation that has misrepresented the statue as an invitation to open immigration.”

“Remember, it’s the Statue of Liberty, not the Statue of Immigration.”

We’re not sure whether Schlafly will now call for the banning of Neil Diamond’s “Coming to America” and sentimental movies depicting hopeful immigrants cheering as their ship enters New York harbor, or if she’ll settle for the inclusion of a disclaimer on all copies of these popular lies.

As if Schlafly’s general horribleness weren’t bad enough, she also tries to suggest that FDR and Ronald Reagan would agree with her, cribbing phrases from speeches they gave to commemorate the 50th and 100th anniversaries of the monument, but kind of ignoring the decidedly pro-immigration sentiments of both speeches. Roosevelt’s entire 1936 speech was about immigration, about those “who had the supreme courage to strike out for themselves, to abandon language and relatives, to start at the bottom without influence, without money…” Wouldn’t you love to hear a President say something like this today?

Perhaps Providence did prepare this American continent to be a place of the second chance. Certainly, millions of men and women have made it that. They adopted this homeland because in this land they found a home in which the things they most desired could be theirs—freedom of opportunity, freedom of thought, freedom to worship God. Here they found life because here there was freedom to live.

It. is the memory of all these eager seeking millions that makes this one of America’s places of great romance. Looking down this great harbor I like to think of the countless numbers of inbound vessels that have made this port. I like to think of the men and women who, with the break of dawn off Sandy Hook, have strained their eyes to the west for a first glimpse of the New World.

They came to us — most of them — in steerage. But they, in their humble quarters, saw things in these strange horizons which were denied to the eyes of those few who traveled in greater luxury.

They came to us speaking many tongues — but a single language, the universal language of human aspiration.

Pretty good. And of course, Roosevelt was talking to an audience for whom that American journey was still part of recent, messy memory, not yet a sepia-toned myth of seamless assimilation. Schlafly pares that first paragraph down to get rid of the actual immigrants:

“The Almighty did prepare this American continent to be a place of the second chance…. Millions have … found … freedom of opportunity, freedom of thought, freedom to worship God.”

No surprise, though. This is, after all, a woman who has argued that the Bible’s injunction to show compassion to strangers in a strange land only applies to visitors, not those scummy immigrants, who Jesus would presumably have deported.

Oh, and compare, please, Schlafly’s pinched, “I got mine, you stay out” meanness with the hopes of FDR, in the middle of the Great Depression:

Even in times as troubled and uncertain as these, I still hold to the faith that a better civilization than any we have known is in store for America and by our example, perhaps, for the world. Here destiny seems to have taken a long look. Into this continental reservoir there has been poured untold and untapped wealth of human resources. Out of that reservoir, out of the melting pot, the rich promise which the New World held out to those who came to it from many lands is finding fulfillment.

by Anonymousreply 6110/31/2013

(cont'd)

The richness of the promise has not run out. If we keep the faith for our day as those who came before us kept the faith for theirs, then you and I can smile with confidence into the future.

We’re pretty sure of this much: in the 19th century, there were a hell of a lot of peasants who risked pretty much everything to get to America so they could be free from people exactly like Phyllis Schlafly, who is just about as un-American as it’s possible to get.

by Anonymousreply 110/30/2013

Why isn't that old cunt dead already?

by Anonymousreply 210/30/2013

R2, I was thinking the same thing, too. She must be in her 90s by now. Did you know she has a gay son who is a freeper?

by Anonymousreply 310/30/2013

Going by her logic, the Liberty Bell is really a symbol of shoddy workmanship.

by Anonymousreply 410/30/2013

She's probably still pissed off that it was a gift from the French. (Freedom Fries, anyone?)

by Anonymousreply 510/30/2013

She is jealous of any woman younger than her.

by Anonymousreply 610/30/2013

Hey Phyllis!

Hell's hot, you old crazy bitch.

by Anonymousreply 710/30/2013

The Grand Canyon is just a hole in the ground!!

by Anonymousreply 810/30/2013

Actually R8, Schlafly believes the Grand Canyon was carved by Noah's flood.

by Anonymousreply 910/30/2013

Does she believe Mt. Rushmore is a naturally-occurring geological feature?

by Anonymousreply 1010/30/2013

Her argument reminds me of Scalia's original intent which conveniently leads to conservative results. It doesn't matter whether the people who donated the statue saw it as a symbol of immigration. It stands in the harbor through which tens of millions of immigrants passed, right next to Ellis Island, and has acquired the association with immigration. That is a fact that some fanciful originalist bullshit cannot erase.

by Anonymousreply 1110/30/2013

The Statue of Liberty does not celebrate ILLEGAL immigration.

by Anonymousreply 1210/30/2013

Immigration is only illegal until we say it is not.

by Anonymousreply 1310/30/2013

ummmm she does realize what ellis island was right?

by Anonymousreply 1410/30/2013

[quote]The Statue of Liberty does not celebrate ILLEGAL immigration.

No one said it does. Go back to school and learn how to read.

by Anonymousreply 1510/30/2013

Why isn't she dead? God! These assholes just live forever.

by Anonymousreply 1610/30/2013

[quote] Schlafly believes the Grand Canyon was carved by Noah's flood.

She should know. I'm sure her dusty old snatch watched as it happened!

by Anonymousreply 1710/30/2013

too mean to die

by Anonymousreply 1810/30/2013

Per Wikipedia, the poem was part of the plans for the statue years before it was erected and dedicated in 1886:

[quote]Fundraising for the statue had begun in 1882. The committee organized a large number of money-raising events.

[quote] As part of one such effort, an auction of art and manuscripts, poet Emma Lazarus was asked to donate an original work. She initially declined, stating she could not write a poem about a statue. At the time, she was also involved in aiding refugees to New York who had fled anti-Semitic pogroms in eastern Europe. These refugees were forced to live in conditions that the wealthy Lazarus had never experienced. She saw a way to express her empathy for these refugees in terms of the statue.

[quote] The resulting sonnet, "The New Colossus", including the iconic lines "Give me your tired, your poor/Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free," is [italic]uniquely identified with the Statue of Liberty [/quote]and is inscribed on a plaque in the museum in the base. (Emphasis added.)

by Anonymousreply 1910/30/2013

[all posts by tedious, racist idiot removed.]

by Anonymousreply 2010/30/2013

she's out of her ever-hatin' mind.

by Anonymousreply 2110/30/2013

She was [/italic]89 [/italic] on her last birthday in August.

by Anonymousreply 2210/30/2013

[quote]She was 89 on her last birthday in August.

Yea, but whats that translate to human years?

by Anonymousreply 2310/30/2013

[all posts by tedious, racist idiot removed.]

by Anonymousreply 2410/30/2013

Am I the only one here noticing that Lady Liberty is wearing a caftan?

by Anonymousreply 2510/30/2013

Those Death Panels we were promised were just tailor-made for someone like her.

by Anonymousreply 2610/30/2013

And what FUCKING difference does it make anyway?

by Anonymousreply 2710/30/2013

Phyllis Schlafly is a filthy lying sack of shit and sometimes I wish there was a hell...so people like her, Bush, Cheney and Reagan could go there.

by Anonymousreply 2810/30/2013

She's truly the Harriet Nelson from Hell.

by Anonymousreply 2910/30/2013

[R26] THIS!

Somebody needs to snuff that bitch!

by Anonymousreply 3010/30/2013

Well I hate to agree with Ms. Schlafly, but in this case she's right. It's about the spread of revolutionary ideas, not immigration. And when the country is not creating jobs, it makes no sense to allow ANY immigration, since it only creates a humanitarian crisis where none existed and further downward pressure on wages. Immigration has not been a gift to the working man in this country. Ever.

by Anonymousreply 3110/30/2013

Of course during the Depression, there was hardly any immigration. From the 1920s to the 1960s the US kept a low level of immigration, which is correspondingly the same era when working people made wages gains.

by Anonymousreply 3210/30/2013

R27, I KNOW, a total non-news item. The news media are idiots for even giving this old hag room to say anything at all.

by Anonymousreply 3310/30/2013

Immigration has not been a gift to the lazy and stupid who never bothered to learn a marketable skill and thereby were replaced with workers who didn't think they were entitled to more for doing unskilled labor in this country. Ever.

There. Fixed it for you.

by Anonymousreply 3410/30/2013

This gift of from the French people had nothing to do with immigration. It was a tribute to our nation's independence.

It did indeed become a symbol to immigrants as they poured into the US and Canada at the turn of the 20th century.

You can't deny it's symbolism, however, Schlafly is correct, it was not given as a symbol of immigration. In reality it will always be a beacon of hope to anyone wanting a better life.

Schlafly can't put a dent in what the old lady has become.

by Anonymousreply 3510/30/2013

We've been waiting for Phyllis to give her opinion!

by Anonymousreply 3610/30/2013

And yet that poem was associated with the statue well before it even opened. It's not like it was grafted on decades later, e.g., "under God" in the Pledge or "In God We Trust" on the coins.

by Anonymousreply 3710/30/2013

[quote]It did indeed become a symbol to immigrants as they poured into the US and Canada at the turn of the 20th century.

And that sums up the root of all her many butt-hurts. The country is not the same country it was before the 20th century. That's what is making her sad.

by Anonymousreply 3810/30/2013

so to people like r31 and r32: where have you been over the past 30 years with all the offshoring of jobs to China and India? Are you equally pissed about that? I bet not.

When an immigrant takes a job, they live here and there's a multiplier effect of them spending money here (even with them sending part of it back home). But when a company moves the plant to China, the whole multiplier effect of spending is in China, not in the US.

by Anonymousreply 3910/30/2013

R39, two wrongs do not make a right. Neither situation should be allowed to exist. Studies have proven that the vast majority of the time companies say that they cannot find trained/skilled workers in the USA, what they are really saying is that they cannot find skilled workers who will work for peanuts.

by Anonymousreply 4010/30/2013

[quote]Studies have proven that the vast majority of the time companies say that they cannot find trained/skilled workers in the USA, what they are really saying is that they cannot find skilled workers who will work for peanuts.

You need a study to tell you that?

by Anonymousreply 4110/30/2013

oh, come now, r40. My point is that they cloak their racism in the whole jobs issue. Well if they really are concerned about jobs, then why do they always focus on illegal immigrants and I never hear ONE word from them about jobs going to China and India? That's all the proof in the world I need to know that they are either clueless or don't give a damn about jobs.

by Anonymousreply 4210/30/2013

[quote]I wish there was a hell.

Oh, no. I don't want her either.

by Anonymousreply 4310/30/2013

[quote]were allowed to paste a [bold]plague[/bold] on the base of the statue with a quotation

by Anonymousreply 4410/30/2013

Immigrants who send money home provide less of a "multiplier" than native born workers because that money is removed from the community.

The only reason offshoring to China and India are done is because their currencies are allowed to trade at a level that Americans cannot compete with. The average Indian cabdriver can save 30% of their income. Show me an American cab driver who can save that kind of money. There is no such thing as "free trade" as long as currencies are set to impoverish American workers by allowing foreign companies to export at prices below purchasing power parity, allowing them to industrialize without raising worker wages.

It's bad for workers in the US and the countries involved.

We need to get off the ridiculous false notion that the global trade system is in any sense "free." Once you make that conceptual leap, once you understand that it intended to enslave the majority of the world's population, the answers start to pop up startlingly clear.

Allowing immigration allows countries like Mexico to avoid social reform. Allowing immigration allows countries like China to avoid social reform.

The meme that native workers are lazy and that's why there are immigrants, is racist bullshit from whoever. And yes, I did object to the offshoring to China and India, but not to NAFTA, because I was hoping it would help Mexico. It did not. It helped Canada, because they covertly depressed their currency in order to reap hundreds of billions of investment.

by Anonymousreply 4510/30/2013

I wonder how many generations back we need to go to find her immigrant ancestors. With a name like Schlafly, I'm sure it's not too far.

Typical freeper belief - immigration became a bad idea right after my ancestors landed.

Guess she'd send me back on the next garbage scow departing for Eire.

by Anonymousreply 4610/30/2013

For once I agree with you, Ciaran.

Begone!

by Anonymousreply 4710/31/2013

Phyllis Schlafly is a horrible person and undoubtedly racist. However, opposition to immigration is not always a racial issue. We simply can't afford mass immigration right now, and it provides a safety valve for countries which otherwise might be driven to make reforms.

by Anonymousreply 4810/31/2013

So what's the alternative R48? Is it any better telling people, "that's great you want to make a better life for you and your family, but it's really best you live in in poverty and with no opportunities because maybe, someday, things will change." ?

by Anonymousreply 4910/31/2013

What kind of name is Schlafly?

by Anonymousreply 5010/31/2013

An ugly one R51

by Anonymousreply 5110/31/2013

The person who always makes me laugh when it comes to the immigration issue is that old Italian birther fool from AZ. His fucking parents weren't even born here --and if subject to assholes like him, probably never would've been allowed into the country-- yet he's going to attack Obama whose mother's family goes back hundreds of years in this country?

BTW, these old bastards live because even the afterlife doesn't want them. Cheney's a cyborg at this point because that's how much Hell doesn't want him.

by Anonymousreply 5210/31/2013

YOu can't save the world by bringing the world here R49.

by Anonymousreply 5310/31/2013

We can save the world by deporting the useless. Let's start with everyone at FOX News, as well as anyone using them as a legitimate news source.

by Anonymousreply 5410/31/2013

Her son used to venture down Castro Street years back.

by Anonymousreply 5510/31/2013

R54 Instead of doling out some useless bromide, why dont you try answering the question that was asked?

by Anonymousreply 5610/31/2013

I didn't think of that, R56. No country deserves that.

How about putting them on a giant, floating iceberg? They'll be fine... since global warming doesn't exist.

by Anonymousreply 5710/31/2013

R60, I prefer to see it more as a food source because seals are so cute.

by Anonymousreply 5810/31/2013
Need more help? Click Here.