Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

How much do Brits know about American history, how its government is set up, and states, cities, and capitals?

by Anonymousreply 1410/31/2013

by Anonymousreply 110/30/2013

OP, can you name all of the provinces and territories of Canada? What is the capital of Canada?

I'm sorry. You must repeat 7th grade.

by Anonymousreply 210/30/2013

Lessee, Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, New Brunswick, Quebec, Ontario, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta, British Columbia; and Yukon, Northwest Territories, Nunavut. Although technically Ottawa is a single tier municipality in Ontario, in practice this is a lie because the National Capital Commission, a corporation independent of Ontario, actually controls the land use in the National Capital Region including Ottawa, so the NCC should probably be considered a de facto territory.

by Anonymousreply 310/30/2013

OP, probably more than we know about theirs.

by Anonymousreply 410/30/2013

More than Americans would know about British history, that's for sure.

by Anonymousreply 510/30/2013

Not really R3

by Anonymousreply 610/30/2013

r1,r2,r4, missed the point completely.

by Anonymousreply 710/30/2013

More than American know about American history.

by Anonymousreply 810/30/2013

In grade school we had to know all of the (then) countries and capitals of the world. Except for some of the south sea island nations, I think I'd still do pretty well in filling in a blank world map.

(Did I mention that I'm a nerd?)

by Anonymousreply 910/30/2013

[quote]More than American know about American history.

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 1010/30/2013

Why is Gr/St/Umpy back?

Kill it.

by Anonymousreply 1110/30/2013

The perfect Canadian retort, R6.

by Anonymousreply 1210/30/2013

We're eager to learn so that we can escape the EU and become the 51st state.

by Anonymousreply 1310/30/2013

I lived in England around 10 years ago and there was real ignorance of this information. A college-educated coworker had no idea where Boston was within the US and couldn't have cared less. Of course, most Americans probably couldn't differentiate Scotland from England or Wales on a map either.

The snarky people who think everyone should know where Ottawa is are really silly. The US has obviously had a much greater cultural and political impact on the world than Canada, so it's facts are more a part of general knowledge. I wouldn't expect most Americans in 1975 to be able to find Iraq on a map, but Americans in 2013 certainly should.

by Anonymousreply 1410/31/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!