Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The post-job interview thank-you email

What is your opinion on shooting a thank you email to the hiring manager? I've done it a few times and felt like a sycophant, plus it never helped me land a job.

by Anonymousreply 2611/01/2013

I've never done it. But I'd have to say if I was hiring and the applicants were all pretty similar- I might very well be swayed by a nice note, thinking they must really, really want it- and would bring some energy and enthusiasm to the job.

It also displays some familiarity with manners and etiquette.

by Anonymousreply 110/29/2013

I agree with what R1 said, especially the last sentence. Especially with young people, it really separates the entitled brats from the ones who were raised right. I think its a nice touch.

by Anonymousreply 210/29/2013

Always send a thank you note.

It's a cover letter that's finely tuned.

It allows you to pinpoint why you're the person for that job and why you fit in with their culture.

It also confirms that you have at least one contact at the company. You may not be chosen for that job, but there may be others.

by Anonymousreply 310/29/2013

You suggest sending a snail mail thank you?

by Anonymousreply 410/29/2013

I never hired anyone who didn't follow up with a thank you note. Period. I may be a protocol stickler, but I'm sure it can't hurt your chances with even the slackest of hiring managers, OP.

by Anonymousreply 510/29/2013

Unlike r5, I generally receive a thank you note after an interview but I don't expect one.

I am in a creative industry, though. I'm lucky if that candidate gets here on time.

by Anonymousreply 610/29/2013

You're supposed to do it. They emphasize this at the career counseling center I go to, career advice books and websites advise it, and I always do it. These days, you're expected to send an email, not a snail mail letter.

It's best to follow up within 1 to 2 days of the interview. In the email you thank them for the interview, restate your qualifications, and mention something specific about the interview -- a common interest, perhaps. It's also a good opportunity to re-answer a question you may not have had a good answer for during the interview.

Possibly not every hiring manager expects a thank you note. But some, like R5, do, and it's always best to CYA.

by Anonymousreply 710/29/2013

It is the polite thing to do, if the person actually did anything. One does not do the polite thing because it results in a reward. One does it because it is the right thing to do.

And why is being polite considered sycophantic?

You see, such traits are ones that I would hope would become evident in an interview, so I could avoid hiring the person exhibiting them.

As for a letter or an email, in the recent past there was no alternative to a real letter (shut up about snail mail), but now it is best to consider the place of employment and the people in it when decided if an email is appropriate. Things have tipped to the degree that some asses actually look down on a hard-copy, signed letter on good-quality paper. Of course, that would be the sort of place no civilized person would want to work, no matter how tech-oriented it is.

by Anonymousreply 810/29/2013

I don't do it. Interviews feel enough like begging.

by Anonymousreply 910/29/2013

It's pretty old fashioned these days but it does add a nice touch and if you're amongst a large cohort, it'll make you stand out.

by Anonymousreply 1010/29/2013

I would not hire someone who did not.

by Anonymousreply 1110/29/2013

Is a handwritten note considered too much these days?

by Anonymousreply 1210/29/2013

It's a good way to remind someone who you are, and that you're interested. Just don't make it fake or stilted sounding. A genuine note of thanks with a few positive details can't hurt.

by Anonymousreply 1310/29/2013

What about the hirer who should let you know 1) you've got the job, or 2) you didn't get it? I'm still waiting to hear from a job interview I had twenty odd years ago. Politeness of that nature hasn't died just because everything is done these days on the net. It kostly never existed!

by Anonymousreply 1410/29/2013

It's never changed my mind in favour of an unsuitable candidate but it can be persuasive when selecting between those with potential. Especially if they have picked up on a key point or two and shown that they have understood the role and the requirements and can add value.

by Anonymousreply 1510/29/2013

R14, not any more. They wade through hundreds of resumes and interview dozens of people - even for those jobs filled from within.

No news is very bad news.

by Anonymousreply 1610/29/2013

Essential. I'm about to land a great job after interviewing 8 people. I sent 8 personalized, conversation-specific emails with 24 hours.

by Anonymousreply 1710/29/2013

I was a hiring manager at my last job and I got thank you emails from maybe half the people. One in 10, maybe, sent it via snail mail.

Personally, I found people who were too good at the whole interview process did not make good hires. Having a lot of experience interviewing usually meant either they would either leave the position too soon or they interviewed in a lot of places that never hired them.

by Anonymousreply 1810/29/2013

R17. What a suckup! Must be a government spying job!

by Anonymousreply 1910/29/2013

I interview a lot and if the interview wasn't good then it doesn't make a difference. If I have two that are good and one sends me a thank you, guess who gets the jod.

by Anonymousreply 2010/29/2013

R20. I hope it's not a proofreading jod!

by Anonymousreply 2110/29/2013

A follow-up thank you note works. Period. Shows you know the right thing to do.

by Anonymousreply 2210/29/2013

If significant communication with the interviewer happened via email before the interview, then a thank you email is appropriate. Make sure you summarize a few key points about yourself and why you think you are ideal for the job. Make it concise and spell check thoroughly.

If contact prior to the interview was by phone or document, send a traditional thank you note through snail mail. And again, make it concise and correct.

by Anonymousreply 2310/29/2013

You'd get the proofreading jod, R21.

by Anonymousreply 2410/29/2013

This week, I sent 2 post-interview thank you emails. Neither hiring mgr had the decency to respond or acknowledge it.

by Anonymousreply 2511/01/2013

After reading the atrocious grammar and sentence structure in R17, I can't believe she duped someone into hiring her ass!

by Anonymousreply 2611/01/2013
Need more help? Click Here.