Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

West Hollywood Halloween Carnaval

(Yes, it's officially spelled that way).

Used to be a fun, safe and outrageous gay place to see the best of costume design and innovation.

Now it's a drunken, violent mess because of all the bridge and tunnel straight trashy people. No exaggeration - I have a friend who works for the West Hollywood Sheriff's Department and he says it has become a violent drunkfest nightmare to patrol with fights breaking out, gay-bashings, etc. Another gay place that straight people have invaded and completely ruined.

That is all.

by Anonymousreply 2511/04/2013

The Castro's Halloween was ruined like 20 years ago for the same reasons. Maybe moving it indoors would help...?

by Anonymousreply 110/29/2013

OP is right. The WeHo carnival or carnaval or whatever has become downright scary to go to when it used to be fun and good for a laugh.

They need to start cordoning off a certain section of Santa Monica for the carnival and start charging people $20 for entrance like they do for Pride. Problem solved.

by Anonymousreply 210/29/2013

At this point, I'm surprised that the city of West Hollywood is still allowing this public drunk street-fest since it's becoming more of a nuisance and liability.

I agree with R2's suggestion that it should be run like Pride. Charge $20 and all of the problem trash will go away.

by Anonymousreply 310/29/2013

I stopped going years ago when it became clear that the straight "looky-lous" and gang members began to outnumber the people dressed in costume. They really need to scale back that event because it's gotten too out of control.

by Anonymousreply 410/29/2013

Why can't heteros behave? Why is there always violence whenever straight people are involved?

by Anonymousreply 510/29/2013

I went last year and it was HORRIBLE. I will be going again this year. Hope I see some originality.

by Anonymousreply 610/29/2013

Straight people ruin [italic]EVERYTHING[/italic]!!

by Anonymousreply 710/29/2013

I thought everybody in LA was "bridge and tunnel".

by Anonymousreply 810/29/2013

Especially all you NYC transplants trying to "make it big" on the West Coast.

by Anonymousreply 910/29/2013

Gang bangers ruin everything and not all of them are straight.

by Anonymousreply 1010/29/2013

Most of the trouble-makers are straight, R10.

by Anonymousreply 1110/29/2013

Charging admission would be a mistake. It would bring in more rich suburbanites and keep out struggling local people.

by Anonymousreply 1210/30/2013

Almost all fabulously original costumes cost more than $20. If someone's that into the event, they can find $20 somewhere.

And the true San Francisco secret method of keeping the trash out is to make sure there isn't a single parking space within ten miles.

by Anonymousreply 1310/30/2013

I've gone a handful of times, the most recent of which was 2011. There's always been a bazillion drunk people on the street, but each year, there were fewer and fewer people in costumes, and more baby strollers.

I yelled plenty of bitchy comments towards parents who were pushing strollers and toting 8 year old kids down Santa Monica Blvd. at 11pm. This is not fucking Disneyland.

by Anonymousreply 1410/30/2013

Who the hell even shows up at a Halloween costume event in plain-clothes?

by Anonymousreply 1510/31/2013

Bridge and tunnel crowd? LOL. I didn't know WeHo was an island.

by Anonymousreply 1610/31/2013

I hope you get assaulted R17, violently, whoever you are in whatever magical land you live in where 6'4" 300 pound men typically push baby strollers around.

by Anonymousreply 1810/31/2013

by Anonymousreply 1910/31/2013

Are they closing earlier this year? It's from 6 to 11? Isn't that way too early. I seem to remember the event going way past midnight in years past.

by Anonymousreply 2010/31/2013

It attracts the dregs of the Inland Empire - obese Hispanic families with 12 kids, none of whom are in costume, not to mention every straight douchebag in the greater LA vicinity. And as the hours pass, the crowd grows drunker, rowdier and more violent. You can feel the malevolence in the air.

It must cost the city a fortune to pay for police and the massive clean-up afterward. I can't imagine why it's still being funded each year; local residents hate it.

by Anonymousreply 2110/31/2013

I made the mistake of trying to go to Olvera Street for the novenario tonight. Traffic is even more of a fucking nightmare than usual, and Laurel Canyon is shut down because of a "suspicious package." I eventually just turned around and slunk back home.

by Anonymousreply 2210/31/2013

And now someone burned to death while the hooligans nearby laughed and jeered.

This horrible event needs to end for good.

by Anonymousreply 2311/04/2013

by Anonymousreply 2411/04/2013

Went last year and it was equal parts looked loos and people in average costumes. Saw pictures of this years lowlights ... I mean highlights ...again nothing that impressive. But the same can be said of what I saw on the east coast. I think people are doing it more on the cheap now. Economy maybe ?

by Anonymousreply 2511/04/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!