Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Who here sews with their own sewing machine?

When did you first get into sewing?

Who taught you how to sew?

What do you sew these days?

Do you make your own clothes?

How long have you had your sewing machine? Was it expensive? Have you had to buy a newer machine in recent years?

So you know anyone other gay men that sews? Do you belong to a gay sewing club?

Answer these questions and discuss now!

Let's have our own sewing corner on DL

by Anonymousreply 2910/30/2013

I'd love to be able to sew and alter my own clothes but it looks difficult.

by Anonymousreply 110/29/2013

R1 if you can use a computer, you can use a sewing machine,.

by Anonymousreply 210/29/2013

Saved money to get two sewing machines. Went to Los Angeles for a design career. It hasn't happened and my family has disowned me.

by Anonymousreply 310/29/2013

12 years ago

Sewing for Dummies & Youtube videos

Lots of upholstery, pillow covers, alterations

No, but all short men should know how to alter clothing

I purchased a serger and a multi-function machine - mid price on both. They work as long as I replace the needle every time I start a new project.

No, only sewing gay in the village

I was asked to leave the Fancy Joann's

by Anonymousreply 410/29/2013

[quote] I was asked to leave the Fancy Joann's

Whatever for, R4?

Joann's always seemed kind of trashy to me anyway.

by Anonymousreply 510/29/2013

R4's story, I assume.

by Anonymousreply 610/29/2013

Lol. Thanks R6.

by Anonymousreply 710/29/2013

I make all my own shirts...I can tailor my t-shirts to have just the right length and taper and not have the floppy,angled sleeves that tend to make my shoulders and deltoids look too narrow in proportion.

by Anonymousreply 810/29/2013

Been sewing since I was 8. Got a sewing machine when I was 10. Showed my junior high home ec. teacher several things she didn't know. Have been making historical costumes as a hobby for over 50 years. I currently have a c. 1970 Singer, a c. 1960 Singer, and a c. 1935 New Home sewing machines. I've never had anything newer than that 1970 Singer. It works great.

I rarely have time to make regular contemporary street clothes.

by Anonymousreply 910/29/2013

I bought a New Home machine when I got my first place and saw how much ready made window dressings would cost. I got loads of different fabrics at a closing down sale and just tried stuff. Nothing fancy at first but an elderly neighbor used to be a sewing machine demonstrator in a department store in the 60s and she taught me how to do zips and piping and bits like that. Useful to be able to do things for myself. I'm considering doing a night class in upholstery - has anyone tried it?

by Anonymousreply 1110/29/2013

I'm not allowed to share my upholstery experiences, R11.

by Anonymousreply 1210/29/2013

I don't have one. Increasingly though, I'd like one. My mother sewed a lot when we were kids. My dad worked in a textile factory he would bring home off cuts, she would run up little outfits (five kids, it saved money and I think she enjoyed it). We were running around in these slightly odd clothes, stiff, scratchy industrial fabrics, lots of dark purples, murky yellows, browns. It was the '70's.

by Anonymousreply 1310/29/2013

I too was kicked out of Joann's... for squealing in the sequin section.

by Anonymousreply 1410/29/2013

My daughter sewed herself a red prom dress which exposed her dirty pillows so I stabbed her.

by Anonymousreply 1510/29/2013

R13 had an Austrian governess.

by Anonymousreply 1610/29/2013

I'm one of those unfortunate people with short legs (I'm 5'10" but even 29" inseams are too long for me) so I took an adult education class several decades ago to learn how to sew so I could shorten pants I bought off the rack.

Needless to say, I was the only man in the class, and the assignment was to make an A-line skirt. The instructor allowed me to make drawstring pants instead (no fly; too complicated for a beginner.) It was a disaster. I think the first time I sewed the pieces together I did it backwards.

I did shorten a few pairs of pants, but not enough to make it worth the cost of the sewing machine, which I eventually gave away.

Fast forward to the present. I saw a nice, modern, computerized Brother machine on super discount at Amazon so I bought it. It's still in the box, but I might haul it out soon and try to re-learn (and maybe do some pillows or stuff like that.)

by Anonymousreply 1710/29/2013

As a kid I went to fabric stores with mother and sisters. My eyes would water and sting, they said it was the dyes in the fabric.I liked looking at the gowns and costumes in pattern books also fancy trims

by Anonymousreply 1810/29/2013

LOL R15

by Anonymousreply 1910/29/2013

My mother was into crafts (painting, photography, etc.) and she sewed when we were kids and she encouraged me to try various things till something appealed to me. A fabric store nearby held sewing classes and my mother paid for me to go, just as lark. This was in my 20's. I botched the final project - simple pants. This discouraged me and I dropped sewing.

Years later, I bought a cheap sewing machine just for hemming pants, making simple things. Then I decided to take another class to refresh my skills. Since then, I haven't tried anything more complicated than simple tote bags, shoulder bags (from patterns) and basic household repairs (hem pants, taking in too-wide pant legs, fix holey bedsheets). I don't get a charge of "oh, I created something" from sewing. I find it tedious, so my machine stays in its case about 360 days a year.

by Anonymousreply 2010/29/2013

I've been wanting to learn for years. Now that I've been buying curtainslately, I REALLY want to learn--they are overpriced and I can't find what I want.

A coworker offered to make me some for a couple of odd shaped windows and sent me to Joann for fabric. They were nice and gave me brochures about sewing classes. I'm thinking about it, but worry if I'd be any good. I doubt I could ever make a shirt, but surely I could master curtains and pillowcases!

by Anonymousreply 2110/29/2013

Who here sews with their own sewing machine? When did you first get into sewing?

I have a lovely Pfaff. Last model year still made in germany. I learned to sew in home ec in the 7th grade from mme. Corbière.

I don't really sew that much. Some times I get the bug, though. I not make my own clothes, I like to make curtains, harem pants, napkins, aprons, little embroidered fabric envelopes/étuis for things.

I think it's just as challenging as carpentry.

My sewing machine was used but expensive with all the embroidery bless and whistles. I'd like to trade it in for a simpler model, that just sews.

I know no other men who sew, save for those on Telly. R3 Matt, my dear, keep at it!

by Anonymousreply 2210/29/2013

Some of you guys might enjoy quilting. You can be very creative with patterns and fabrics. Quite a few men do quilt. I enjoy the puzzle aspect of figuring it all out and putting it together.

by Anonymousreply 2310/29/2013

Hurry up, hurry up, hurry up, hurry up

Can't waste time, can't waste time, can't waste time, can't waste time

by Anonymousreply 2410/29/2013

R23 Yeah, I think quilting would be a lot of fun. Do people usually do it in groups?

by Anonymousreply 2510/29/2013

I need to run up a few new caftans from my Butterick pattern.

by Anonymousreply 2610/30/2013

I used to think it must be hard until I started watching Project Runway. Any dolt with two opposable thumbs can do it.

by Anonymousreply 2710/30/2013

OK everyone! We're off to Mood!

by Anonymousreply 2810/30/2013

Oh man, it's great meeting other men who sew. I got into it via quiltmaking(Hi! r23), been doing that almost 24 years. I sew simple items: robes, nightshirts, vests, casual jackets,etc., all unstructured items. You can learn a lot on your own, and there's plenty of online tutorials, but having a sewing buddy is the best. Patterns these days are much simpler, many items can be made in just a few hours. I belong to a quilt guild, we meet once a month, with smaller bees weekly. It's great seeing what others can make with just needle and fabric. I've got enough fabric to last a few lifetimes, I have the time to make more things. I have two sewing machines( a new-ish ELNA and an ancient Pfaff),my Mom's old cabinet Singer(for sentimental reasons) and a serger(many sewers are wary of sergers, which is a shame, since they are extremely versatile) A dear friend and neighbor taught me to sew, back when I first got interested in quiltmaking. I've met a lot of guys who sew and quilt online, because my username is invariably QUILTGUY, there's even a website for men who quilt, ideally titled: ManQuilters. So if you've got the least bit of interest, I can recommend sewing as a great hobby. You'll be amazed at what you can come up with. All the girls will be SO envious.

by Anonymousreply 2910/30/2013
Need more help? Click Here.