Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

When did Lucy and Desi's marriage seriously begin to go south?

The love and tenderness between them was obvious early on in the series. The final clip in the Lucy is pregnant episode in which Lucy tears up as Rick sings to her was very real and poignant. However, later, during the final season and into the hour-long episodes, a hard and bitter-looking Lucy looks like she can barely contain her disgust when he touches her. So when exactly did things take a turn for the really bad?

by Anonymousreply 3910/30/2013

[all posts by racist flame bait troll removed, ISP notified with full text of all posts.]

by Anonymousreply 110/29/2013

Desi was always a huge poon hound, but I think she just tolerated it like most women did back then. I think when he added the gambling and excessive drinking to the mix and was less than discreet, she got fed up.

by Anonymousreply 210/29/2013

Ignore r1 as usual. So clever...so rancid.

I think it is a good question. I know Lucy and Desi split up for a while pretty early in their marriage, but then reconciled. I assumed that the reason then was the reason that eventually split them up for good, he couldn't keep it in his pants. There had to be something drastic that changed in Lucy as time wore on. Maybe she thought he would change after they got their hit TV show and after the kids came, but apparently that didn't slow Desi down at all.

He was influenced by a father who also was unfaithful for most of his marriage and it seems his mother just ignored it. Desi expected the same from Lucy and was surprised that she could not get past his drinking and whoring.

by Anonymousreply 310/29/2013

There was sincere affection between them the first few seasons. You can only fake so much of that. Later on, it was obvious they were just going thru the motions to keep the show successful. I think it was Edie Adams, when she hub Ernie Kovacs guested on either the penultimate or final hour-long show, who said that there was so much tension on the set and that Lucy/Desi didn't speak to each other accept in character. She had to sing in the episode, and she barely made it through without crying, evidently.

by Anonymousreply 410/29/2013

I'm sad for Lucy.

by Anonymousreply 510/29/2013

The umpteenth time Ricky wouldn't let her be in the show.

by Anonymousreply 610/29/2013

According to some book I read it was really downhill the third season.

That's when Desi gained weight and dyed his hair black lucy looks very tired

by Anonymousreply 710/29/2013

R3 come on, don't ignore R1. He saved up for a long time from his paper route to get the $18 for this.

by Anonymousreply 810/29/2013

Viv looked much better than Lucy as the seasons progressed. Lucy gets harder and harder looking and can barely mask her 10-pack-a-day voice.

by Anonymousreply 910/29/2013

Everyone on the set was crying during that song, apparently. And it was indeed the series finale; they never appeared as those characters again.

by Anonymousreply 1010/29/2013

"That's All" Lyrics & Music by Alan Brandt and Bob Haymes, 1952 [brackets indicate Edie Adams' variation on the song]

I can only give you love that lasts forever

And a the promise to be near each time you call

And the only heart I own for you and you alone

That's all, that's all

I can only give you country walks in springtime

And a hand to hold when leaves begin to fall

And a love whose burning light will warm the winter night

That's all, that's all

There are those I am sure who have told you

They would give you the world for a toy

All I have are these arms to enfold you

And a love time can never destroy.

If you're wondering what I'm asking in return, dear

You'll be glad to know that my demands are small

Say it's me that you'll adore for now and evermore

That's all, that's all

[the following are not part of the original composition and what makes Edie Adams' version so special and unique]

I love you

Yes, I love you

That's all...

by Anonymousreply 1110/29/2013

True Lucy did look strained. It was also during that period (3rd season I believe) that L hit Desi on the head with a hammer while screaming "I HATE YOU"

by Anonymousreply 1210/29/2013

Edie Adams was criminally under appreciated. Gorgeous, glamorous, great singer, funny. She could do it all, but I doubt very few people these days know about her. I really felt sad when I heard she had died.

by Anonymousreply 1310/29/2013

There was a certain coldness and monotomy to the writing after Jess Oppenheimer left before the final season. The scripts just weren't as tip-top, which I think allowed Lucy's bitterness to more apparently seep into the show. I know, MARY!

by Anonymousreply 1410/29/2013

I think Lucy looked her best in the episode "Ethel's Hometown" when she, Ricky and Fred are upstaging Ethel while she sings. Very funny episode.

Bad quality video but still funny.

by Anonymousreply 1510/29/2013

She looked decent in the Hollywood episodes. Although, I always feel a bit awkward when I watch the one where a bunch of starlets show up for publicity stills with Ricky and then Lucy believes that Ricky spent the night with them. It really must've mirrored their real life, except that Desi WAS spending the night away fucking starlets. Did he fuck Joy Lansing?

by Anonymousreply 1610/29/2013

Yet, there supposedly was still a lot of affection they felt for each other long after their split. I think she always loved him, she just could not live with him.

by Anonymousreply 1710/29/2013

Haven't we all had a Desi in our lives?

by Anonymousreply 1810/29/2013

Who was Joy Lansing? One of the starlets?

by Anonymousreply 1910/29/2013

They stayed friends until the end.

The last time they were ever photographed together, playing with their first grandchild. The voiceover at the end of Desi singing will bring a tear to your eye...

by Anonymousreply 2010/29/2013

R20, I'm sure they had a "cooling off" period, then were able to be cordial. Time heals.

by Anonymousreply 2110/29/2013

I think Desi always loved Lucy, but he's the kind of guy who wants a harem- a woman for every mood.

Probably the moment she noticed he was a hopeless cheater.

by Anonymousreply 2210/29/2013

Didn't they break up before the wedding because of this, then get back together?

by Anonymousreply 2310/29/2013

Desi Jr also loved the pussy. He got a girl knocked up when he was 15!!!! No one would acknowledge the child until recently.

by Anonymousreply 2410/29/2013

I think Lucy Arnaz wrote that Lucy and Desi were the love of each other's lives but Desi's womanizing finally broke Lucy's heart and spirit. She said her mother would leave him over and over again but he seduce her back. I think they probably had great sexual chemistry together.

by Anonymousreply 2510/29/2013

Lucy had multiple abortions in her 20s. She was a good time girl and had no problem throwing the badussy around to get parts.

by Anonymousreply 2610/29/2013

Did the public at the time realize their marriage was in shambles? Not so much during ILL, but during the hour shows when even Helen Keller could sense there was friction.

by Anonymousreply 2710/29/2013

I love Edie Adams, but I think her career suffered because she had to do a lot of stuff to pay off the debts she was saddled with after Kovacs died. Remember all of those Muriel cigar commercials she did?

by Anonymousreply 2810/29/2013

R18 very true

by Anonymousreply 2910/29/2013

Their deteriorating marriage was the reason Lucy insisted that Desi play Ricky in the TV series.

She had already found great success in the proto-ILL marital sit-com on radio called My Favorite Husband (or something like that) opposite Richard Denning.

But during that time, which was just after both Lucy and Desi were let go from MGM, Desi toured with his band for weeks on end to make a living for his family and Lucy knew he was getting in trouble, unseen by her.

So she only agreed to do ILL if she could keep Desi under control as her producer and costar.

It didn't quite work out!

by Anonymousreply 3010/29/2013

Desi was absolutely gorgeous in his prime. He probably had beautiful starlets dropping to their knees all of the time.

Plus, he was heterosexual which was kind of nice for a change. (Except for that Cesar (Butch) Romero tryst.)

Joi Lansing was the long haired blond in that Florida episode. In fact, she tells Lucy her real name when introducing herself. She was one of Frank Sinatra's long standing affairs. He paid for all of her medical expenses when she got cancer and eventually died from it.

by Anonymousreply 3110/29/2013

Most comics lead dreary, sad little lives out of which they've somehow managed to squeeze five minutes of laughs. Lucy was 40 when the show first started. Can't blame her for looking hard and bitter at that age when your husband is paying for it elsewhere. (Wait, didn't Lucy start out taking money for sex. Read that somewhere.)

by Anonymousreply 3210/29/2013

The marriage had been tense for quite a while, due to Desi's drinking, and whoring. Bob Osborne, who knew Lucy, said that she hated it, but had come to accept it until Desi was caught in yet one more prostitute/ whorehouse situation, on Vista St., in Hollywood, on Sept. 19,1959. At that time 'Vista St.' was synonymous with brothels, and Desi was inside one, drunk, finished his sexing, and was in front, singing, at 1:00 am. So he was booked for what they used to call being a "common drunk" (same thing Norman Maine was arrested for !). Anyway, Osborne said it hit the press, and he, and Lucy, were coming out of the Huntington Hartford Theater, on Vine, and passing a bunch of newspaper racks, and Desi's arrest was the headline on them all. Bob said for Lucy, that was it. She could take the private misery & heartache, but not the public humiliation. She felt he was putting her reputation, and even the sponsors of their show(s), and Desilu's stock, at stake. A few months later, on March 2, 1960, Lucy & Desi filmed their last show (with Edie & Ernie), and the next day, Lucy filed for divorce.

by Anonymousreply 3310/29/2013

Here is one of the articles from R33.

by Anonymousreply 3410/29/2013

Thanks for the article, r34. What struck me most is that he was only 43 at the time, and this is when they were filming the last year or two of the hour episodes. He looked at least ten years older.

by Anonymousreply 3510/29/2013

As many already know, Desi did not let Lucy get interview during ILL. So most people thought she was pretty much like the Lucy character in real life, just nicer and smarter. Desi was right.

by Anonymousreply 3610/29/2013

Clip of Viv winning supporting actress and Desi/Lucy accepting the award for best sitcom. I think this is from 1953.

by Anonymousreply 3710/29/2013

Wow, I didn't realize Desi was 6 years younger than Lucy. How did she manage to snag a much younger guy?

Lucy was born in 1911, Desi in 1917. So, when the series began in 1951, she was 40 and he 34.

On the show, as r35 said, Desi looked 10 years older.

by Anonymousreply 3810/30/2013

Wow, it's hard to believe Lucy would be 102. I still think of her captured in time in ILL.

by Anonymousreply 3910/30/2013
Need more help? Click Here.