Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Thank. Yooooouuuuuu

What is it with this new way young women are saying "thank you"? They say "thank" in a high pitched squeak with a split second pause before dropping into a vocal fry "you" that seems to last forever before trailing off.

It sounds so insincere. Where did this start? Was this some sort of Kardashian thing or what?

I've also notice that people are beginning their sentences with "So" more and more often. Reminds me of when "I know, right?" started happening.

Yeah, there are more important things to think about, but this was on my mind this morning.

by H.H. Holmesreply 2210/31/2013

[quote] people are beginning their sentences with "So" more and more often.

This is the worst trend of all, in my book. If you google 'begin sentence with so" you'll see numerous articles about it. It is so pretentious and stupid sounding.

I tend to change the channel if some idiot starts in with the "So..." business. If they don't know how to begin a sentence I imagine they don't have anything intelligent to say.

by H.H. Holmesreply 110/29/2013

I remember old ladies beginning their sentences (when I was a little kid) with "So anyway..."

by H.H. Holmesreply 210/29/2013

Stop trying to make "vocal fry" happen, OP!

by H.H. Holmesreply 310/29/2013

Brenda Lee...

by H.H. Holmesreply 410/29/2013

The thing about the "so" business is that they use it as a direct reply to a question, which is totally jarring. It makes it sound like they are oblivious to the fact that they've just been asked a question, and like they're elaborating on another statement (which they have not made).

Just really disorienting and rude to the listener. Kind of like staring into your cell phone when someone else is trying to communicate with you - acting like the other person is not even there. I guess that makes them "cool" in their peer group, but I've even seen some older people putting this crap on.

by H.H. Holmesreply 510/29/2013

[quote]Stop trying to make "vocal fry" happen

I'd give anything to make the phenomenon of vocal fry not happen. Unfortunately, it is very real and very much happening.

by H.H. Holmesreply 710/29/2013

What is vocal fry? Is that a real thing?

by H.H. Holmesreply 810/29/2013

There's also those girls who imitate a Kardashian "thank you" that sounds like THANK YAO.

by H.H. Holmesreply 910/29/2013

More like a TINK YAO.

by H.H. Holmesreply 1010/29/2013

R10, you nailed it...thanks.

by H.H. Holmesreply 1110/29/2013

FINALLY! A thread about the obnoxious "so" phenomenon.

My father had a fairly long hospital stay recently and I can't even enumerate the number of medical professionals who would answer even basic questions with the "so" prefix.

It is so didactic sounding and slightly condescending and I wonder if it's being taught in medical schools or just academia in general as a tactic when explaining specialized information to the layperson.

by H.H. Holmesreply 1210/29/2013

I witnessed this variation of "thank youuu" at work: a woman complimented another one on her dress. The woman who had received the compliment then uttered an excited, little shriek before saying the "thank youuuu"' bit, the woman who had given the compliment then reacted by uttering the same excited, little shriek in return. Familiar?

by H.H. Holmesreply 1310/29/2013

R8.

Oh, it's real alright...and EPIDEMIC!

by H.H. Holmesreply 1410/29/2013

Do people who begin sentences with "So" think it makes them more of an authority on whatever they are talking about? I've been seeing this on Sunday morning talking head shows.

by H.H. Holmesreply 1510/30/2013

My mother has been doing the 'thank yoooooouuuuu' ever since I can remember. It drives me crazy.

by H.H. Holmesreply 1610/30/2013

This never happened.

by H.H. Holmesreply 1710/30/2013

Is this like the "Oh, Fank You!" thing?

by H.H. Holmesreply 1810/30/2013

OP, it sounds insincere because it is. These insufferable twats are so divorced from external reality that they should start being considered something other than human, and culled in the manner of defective cattle once their condition becomes apparent with the vocal fry and whine you describe.

by H.H. Holmesreply 1910/30/2013

OP: "I've also notice that..."

I've also noticeD that people seem to be incapable of using the past tense, and that this is particularly prevalent on DL.

Why is that?

by H.H. Holmesreply 2010/31/2013

[quote]Is this like the "Oh, Fank You!" thing?

I was waiting for someone to bring that into the thread. Thanks for not disappointing, r18.

by H.H. Holmesreply 2110/31/2013

As soon as you hear the "so", interject "So, WHAT?"

by H.H. Holmesreply 2210/31/2013
Need more help? Click Here.