Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Top Designers Don Blackface For Milan Halloween Party

Milan's annual Halloweek masquerade party took place last night, and the theme was Disco Africa. While many attendees kept it neutrally jungle-themed — like Dolce & Gabbana's Steffano Gabbana (pictured on the left, and in other photos on Vogue Japan editor-at-large Anna Dello Russo's Instagram) — others took it to a pretty racially offensive place.

The man in the middle, who apparently took "Disco Africa" to mean "Minstrel Show," is purportedly designer Alessandro Dell'Acqua.

Halloweek is an elaborate costumed event that draws Milan's fashion elite and inspires some pretty over-the-top getups (see photos from two years ago and the year before that).

But while 2009's party was full of Liza Minelli impersonators, this year's event had multiple attendees dressed in blackface [more photos here and here and here and here], and at least two men with artificially darkened skin dressed as slaves in chains.

And while the idea of blackface on Halloween is complicated — the line between "tribute" and mockery is a dicey one — the blackface costume here, a white man dressed as the kind of white men who made a living mocking black men, falls resoundingly in the offensive box.

by Anonymousreply 2610/29/2013

Oh and the idiots who thought going as Trayvon Martin for Halloween was HILARIOUS.

by Anonymousreply 110/29/2013

Exactly, r2.

by Anonymousreply 310/29/2013

[quote]I feel like there is a big difference between dressing as Trayvon and doing traditional Jazz Age style blackface as exhibited at the party in Milan.

The one thing they have in common is that they should never be done in the 21st century by anyone anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 410/29/2013

As a black person, I've never understood why people get upset about Halloween costumes. Do women get upset at all of the men who dress as women on Halloween? Do whores and sluts get upset at women who dress like them on Halloween? Listen, I get why some people get upset about this stuff. But Milan doesn't have the same history as the US. Save your energy for real problems.

I remember in college, these two white guys, friends of mine, got sliced and diced because they went as Venus and Serena for Halloween. They darkened their skin. It was a huge stink. How else were people going to know they were Venus and Serena if they didn't darken their skin? There is a difference between darkening skin and blackface.

by Anonymousreply 510/29/2013

I second R4, they come off as ignorant boobs

by Anonymousreply 610/29/2013

I agree with R5 up to a point. Dressing up as real people is cool (unless they are recent murder victims.) Dressing up as some kind of offensive stereotype is not. Nor is making light of historic tragedies that still evoke powerful feelings.

Minstrel and slave costumes, I think not. They are on a par with dressing as a Nazi or a concentration camp prisoner or a 9/11 victim.

by Anonymousreply 710/29/2013

[quote]I feel like there is a big difference between dressing as Trayvon and doing traditional Jazz Age style blackface

Seriously?!? "Jazz Age"? More like "Lynching Age". Don't dress it up in quaint nostalgia. That's what blackface REALLY looked like, in the days of Jim Crowe.

"Jazz Age", boy that's RICH. You make it sound like they're dressed as harmless flappers or zoot suiters. Why the fuck is it ok if it's "Jazz Age?" That's what historical black face actually looked like when black people were lynched and beaten, not some frat boy in a hoodie and grease paint he bought at the Halloween store.

The ridiculous lengths some of you go to to justify your racism...the mind reels.

by Anonymousreply 810/29/2013

Regardless of who gets offended, how can anyone dress up in blackface and NOT feel unfomfortable? And how can you go out and think no one will have a problem with it?

by Anonymousreply 910/29/2013

[quote]Regardless of who gets offended, how can anyone dress up in blackface and NOT feel unfomfortable? And how can you go out and think no one will have a problem with it?

Perhaps my friends are not as uptight as yours.

by Anonymousreply 1010/29/2013

It always surprises me how Italians keep doing racist things like this, given how close their own country is to Africa. Freud was right about the narcissism of minor differences.

by Anonymousreply 1110/29/2013

This is no surprise. Have you ever seen what they do to black players at a soccer match? Fascist scum.

by Anonymousreply 1210/29/2013

I have never heard of Don Blackface. Who did he design for?

by Anonymousreply 1310/29/2013

he's apologizing on twitter. Non-americans aren't that sensitive about black-face, tho. BTW, he was dressed as a character from a very famous italian 80's tv ad (a cartoon)

by Anonymousreply 1410/29/2013

They can't deal with the fact that the Moops fucked their ancestors and they've got it in their DNA.

by Anonymousreply 1510/29/2013

It's just a misunderstanding. The theme of the party was Fascist Nostalgia and they were supposed to come in black SHIRTS.

by Anonymousreply 1610/29/2013

Not only are they racist, but they're fucking morons. How does blackface relate to "African Disco"?

by Anonymousreply 1710/29/2013

The excuse that they're not all Americans is a very bad one. It's fucking 2013, almost 2014. No one should be doing blackface anymore. No one should be doing the "squinty eyes" gesture to "imitate" Asians either.

There is no defense of it and I hope black celebs stop supporting these racist pieces of shit.

by Anonymousreply 1810/29/2013

i think he's barely completed high school, you think he knows about blackface and squinty eyes? not that it matters, but he's no t a racist, he's an idiot

by Anonymousreply 1910/29/2013

Which one is Don?

by Anonymousreply 2010/29/2013

Europeans are just soooo sophisticated!

by Anonymousreply 2110/29/2013

True Romance:

by Anonymousreply 2210/29/2013

Typical. of ALL the things you can be (and believe me, I've seen it all) why do that? Why do you people have the need to ridicule other groups? It's bad enough, the slavery and colonialism but you have a NEED and a RIGHT to display yourselves in such a way that is obviously going to offend some people in these groups, that really don't need it (considering the history of this *and* our shared history).

I am NOT speaking of all White/European people but to whom this applies.

by Anonymousreply 2310/29/2013

Obviously, I don't just mean people in Italy, Denmark, and some of the universities and such here but the practice, overall.

by Anonymousreply 2410/29/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!