Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

McAuliffe opens up double-digit lead over Cuccinelli in Virginia governor’s race

Democrat Terry McAuliffe has opened a double-digit lead over Republican Ken Cuccinelli II in the race for Virginia governor, in a new poll capturing increasing dissatisfaction among voters with Cuccinelli’s party and his conservative views.

According to a new [italic]Washington Post[/italic]/Abt SRBI poll, McAuliffe tops Cuccinelli 51 percent to 39 percent among likely voters in the Nov. 5 election. McAuliffe led by eight percentage points in a poll taken last month. Libertarian Robert Sarvis, who has capitalized on voter unrest with the two major-party candidates, is at 8 percent, according to the new poll.

. . . . .

by By Laura Vozzella and Peyton M. Craighillreply 3811/04/2013

October 2013: Washington Post/Abt-SRBI Virginia governor's race poll

Published: October 28

by By Laura Vozzella and Peyton M. Craighillreply 110/29/2013

I saw Cuccinelli on Fox. Hot for a middle-aged guy.

by By Laura Vozzella and Peyton M. Craighillreply 210/29/2013

Didn't Terry McAuliffe explode in the space ship? The sky was so blue that day.

by By Laura Vozzella and Peyton M. Craighillreply 310/29/2013

McAuliffe got very, very lucky when Cuccinelli got the Rethug nomination. The Dems quickly and successfully painted Cuccinelli as the extremist he is -- and it worked. With any luck, the Democrats will sweep all three of the top races next week. The Repuke Lt. Governor candidate is a complete whack-job, and their Attorney General candidate is as bad or worse than Cuccinelli.

by By Laura Vozzella and Peyton M. Craighillreply 510/29/2013

"He is a fucking crook."

So you'd rather have a extreme right-winger who tried to ban oral sex as governor.

And honestly, do you really believe Cuccinelli hasn't seen some dirty money during his career?

by By Laura Vozzella and Peyton M. Craighillreply 610/29/2013

The government shutdown decided this race. Lots of federal workers in VA.

by By Laura Vozzella and Peyton M. Craighillreply 710/29/2013

The wing nuts are up early!

Anybody with a brain, heart, and a should knows that McAuliffe is a great candidate.

Cuccinelli is a wing nut, bigoted, woman hating, nut-case, rights denying, asshat who is AG and governor, which in Itself is a nefarious way to lead.

by By Laura Vozzella and Peyton M. Craighillreply 810/29/2013

McAuliffe is by far the lesser of two evils, but that is all he is, the lesser of two evils.

by By Laura Vozzella and Peyton M. Craighillreply 910/29/2013

[R9] The best that any politician can be is the lesser of two evils.

by By Laura Vozzella and Peyton M. Craighillreply 1010/29/2013

I love the rapid "bluitization" of Virginia. It's kind of hilarious that is so rapidly transformed from rock-solid red to a very blue shade of purple in just ten years.

My guess is that in 2016 it will only barely be a swing state. That is, it will be considered a swing state because the Republicans have no choice but to compete there; but the stark reality will be that they cannot win it.

And I love it. Virginia for Hillary 2016!

by By Laura Vozzella and Peyton M. Craighillreply 1110/29/2013

idiot. did you also vote for nader?

by By Laura Vozzella and Peyton M. Craighillreply 1310/29/2013

Fuck you, R13. I said I'm "thinking of." I usually don't bother with protest votes, but the margin between McAuliffe and Cuccinelli is so large this year, I think I can get away with it.

by By Laura Vozzella and Peyton M. Craighillreply 1410/29/2013

No one takes note of a "protest vote" sadly.

by By Laura Vozzella and Peyton M. Craighillreply 1510/29/2013

Protest votes are stupid.

Vote with a viable party for a viable candidate.

You fragile flowers of the ballot box are ridiculous.

by By Laura Vozzella and Peyton M. Craighillreply 1610/29/2013

sleaze smarm or no, the only smart vote in this race is mcauliffe

by By Laura Vozzella and Peyton M. Craighillreply 1710/29/2013

If he wins, let's hope McAuliffe doesn't look at his election as carte blanche to indulge in a lot of dubious shenanigans as governor. With his ego, it's a real concern as a disastrous term as governor will put VA back squarely into GOP hands.

by By Laura Vozzella and Peyton M. Craighillreply 1810/29/2013

Who are these 39% of Virginians who would actually support someone as extreme as Cuccinelli?

by By Laura Vozzella and Peyton M. Craighillreply 1910/29/2013

hateful morons.

by By Laura Vozzella and Peyton M. Craighillreply 2010/29/2013

"Who are these 39% of Virginians who would actually support someone as extreme as Cuccinelli?"

You forget that VA is the home of both Pat Robertson's and the late Jerry Falwell's empires. One in Virginia Beach and the second on the other side of the state in Lynchburg (an appropriately named city, I suspect).

by By Laura Vozzella and Peyton M. Craighillreply 2110/29/2013

R21 lives in his Mommys basement. What the fuck does he know?

by By Laura Vozzella and Peyton M. Craighillreply 2210/29/2013

R12 -- I'm no fan of Terry Mac either, but please (literally) hold your nose while voting for him; the margin really sends a message here, especially if Christie is doing as well as expected in New Jersey.

R2 -- sadly, I fully agree with you that Kenny the Kook is very hot looking.

by By Laura Vozzella and Peyton M. Craighillreply 2310/29/2013

R4/R22, what do you know? R21 is correct. The southern part of Virginia is more conservative than the northern part, especially the closer you get to DC.

by By Laura Vozzella and Peyton M. Craighillreply 2410/29/2013

[quote]Fuck you, [R13]. I said I'm "thinking of." I usually don't bother with protest votes, but the margin between McAuliffe and Cuccinelli is so large this year, I think I can get away with it.

Two words: Ralph Nader

by By Laura Vozzella and Peyton M. Craighillreply 2510/29/2013

My guess is the margin's going to be closer because of the concentrated voter suppression effort in VA. And the fact the Cooch will not step down as AG, so he gets to certify the election! Maddow's been focusing on it a lot lately. Dems need to get the voters to the polls, and make sure the votes are counted.

by By Laura Vozzella and Peyton M. Craighillreply 2610/29/2013

Dems are starting to get worried about this race.

It has really tightened in the stretch(due to Obamacare rollout) and turnout could give it to Cuccinelli.

by By Laura Vozzella and Peyton M. Craighillreply 2711/02/2013

Yes, R27, that's why the most recent polling shows... the exact opposite of what your little Freeper mind conjures up. But keep telling yourself that. And, by the way, why don't you make sure you show up at the poll on Wednesday to cast your vote!

by By Laura Vozzella and Peyton M. Craighillreply 2811/02/2013

You're a lying sack of shit R28.

I suggest a trip to Real Clear Politics.

by By Laura Vozzella and Peyton M. Craighillreply 2911/02/2013

R28, R27 is exaggerating, but Democrats are trying to play down polls that have McAuliffe winning by 12+ points. The truth is, turnout models in Virginia ALWAYS favor Republicans during off-year elections. And it doesn't help that among McAuliffe Supporters, only 34% say they're voting FOR him...while 64% are voting against Cuccinelli. On the other hand, 50% of The Cooch's supporters are voting FOR him, while 44% are voting against him.

This really has been a weird election. NONE of my Republican friends like The Cooch, and they're all voting for Sarvis (Libertarian candidate). Meanwhile, Democratic friends have made it clear that this is an "Anyone but Cuccinelli" type election. Hell, I was slated to canvass for McAuliffe a few weeks ago, but I had to return to the HQ with my materials when it became clear that I couldn't enthusiastically sell him to others because of my own doubts.

Ultimately, I'll end up voting for McAuliffe, but you'd be hard-pressed to come across a genuinely enthusiastic supporter of his (who isn't a McAuliffe or Bill Clinton). It's frustrating that Virginia, such a breeding ground for genuinely progressive and intelligent talent, couldn't produce a better Democratic candidate. And once he's in office, McAuliffe has a very low bar to clear since he'll be considered a success as long as he doesn't raise taxes, support legislation expanding the use of trans-vaginal ultrasounds, or abuse the generosity of donors.

by By Laura Vozzella and Peyton M. Craighillreply 3011/02/2013

Current headlines at RCP under Va Governor Race:

McAuliffe ahead but support slips in campaign's final days.

Democrat is dominating the ad buys in the homestretch.

Outcome could hinge on women.

As Cuccinelli rebounds, Democrats start to worry about turnout.

McAuliffe lead shrinks at finish.

R28, you're going to look mighy foolish if Cuccinelli eeks out a win.

by By Laura Vozzella and Peyton M. Craighillreply 3111/02/2013

[quote]I suggest a trip to Real Clear Politics.

You may want to find another source to back up your claims.

[quote]Right now, in the RealClearPolitics Average, Democrat Terry McAuliffe has 45.4 percent of the vote, Cuccinelli receives 37.1 percent, and Libertarian Rob Sarvis gets 10 percent...Ken Cuccinelli is simply more conservative than the Virginia electorate will bear, and is conservative in all the wrong ways for the state.

by By Laura Vozzella and Peyton M. Craighillreply 3211/02/2013

forget looking foolish. if cuccinelli wins the entire state will suffer gravely.

by By Laura Vozzella and Peyton M. Craighillreply 3311/02/2013

The big worry is that Cuccinelli has all the late momentum.

by By Laura Vozzella and Peyton M. Craighillreply 3411/02/2013

McAuliffe will be buoyed by the fact that Obama is headlining a rally for him tomorrow afternoon. Disregard the fact that tickets have been available for a while and I just got an e-mail that I still have an opportunity to get some.

by By Laura Vozzella and Peyton M. Craighillreply 3511/02/2013

On Thursday, Charlie Cook called the VA governor race a toss up because it is now within the margin of error.

by By Laura Vozzella and Peyton M. Craighillreply 3611/04/2013

SPOTSYLVANIA, Va. — In politics, it is generally not a good omen when a candidate’s supporters argue that he still has a chance of victory — if the opponent’s supporters neglect to vote.

But this was Virginia Republican Party Chairman Pat Mullins’s version of the power of positive thinking in an interview this weekend. The path for star-crossed GOP gubernatorial candidate Ken Cuccinelli, Mullins said, looks like this: “If turnout is in the 30s, the low 30s, we’re gonna win. If it gets higher up in Fairfax , say like 40, it’s likely we won’t. I don’t think it’s going to hit 40 anywhere. I’m looking at 32.”

For context, 72 percent of eligible voters cast ballots in last year’s presidential election and 40 percent voted in the most recent governor’s race.

This valiant effort at optimism is the kind of thing a campaign does in the closing hours when it becomes enveloped with an unmistakable stench of impending doom.

by By Laura Vozzella and Peyton M. Craighillreply 3711/04/2013

What folks seem to overlook is that the Dems have a huge advantage in early votes.

by By Laura Vozzella and Peyton M. Craighillreply 3811/04/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!