Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Kill Your Darlings

Saw a preview screening tonight. Thought I was going to hate it for the first fifteen minutes.

But then it turned into something really amazing, and I walked out of the theater absolutely loving the movie.

Anyone else see it?

by Anonymousreply 4009/01/2014

Any dick in it?

by Anonymousreply 110/29/2013

If Andy Dick is in it, there's no way in hell I'll see it.

by Anonymousreply 210/29/2013

Coincidentally, that was the working title of the script that popped into my head while bathing my rambunctious adoptees.

by Anonymousreply 310/29/2013

Is this about the lady in Texas who killed her 6 kids a few years back?

by Anonymousreply 410/29/2013

It's about Allen Ginsburg's early years played by Daniel Radcliffe. It was a sensation at Sundance this year.

And yes, there is nudity. But no, you do not see Daniel's pee pee. However, you do see him legs up being fucked by a one-night stand.

by Anonymousreply 510/29/2013

I am eagerly awaiting the sequel "Ressurect Your Darlings".

by Anonymousreply 610/29/2013

A good friend saw it at Sundance and raved about it. He's always had good judgement when it comes to films so I'll probably see it sometime this week.

The film is based on the early work of Jack Kerouac and William S. Burroughs, "And the Hippos Were Boiled in Their Tanks", and has been a favorite of mine for years.

Have you read the book OP? If so, how did the film compare to the book?

by Anonymousreply 710/29/2013

Do you see anybody else's dick, r5?

by Anonymousreply 810/29/2013

[quote]Anyone else see it?

See it? I lived it!

by Anonymousreply 910/29/2013

I've listened to Radcliffe interviewed. The man is incredibly articulate and intelligent as well as a gentleman.

by Anonymousreply 1010/29/2013

Since they refuse to open if wide, practically no one will be able to enjoy it.

I hate the way they run Hollywood...bunch of stupid assholes.

They should have opened this film wide, last spring.

by Anonymousreply 1111/11/2013

In New York, it is still at the same two theaters, but it did go wider out to the suburban art houses.

I wish it would open at an AMC so I can see it for $8. at a pre-noon matinee.

by Anonymousreply 1211/11/2013

Me Wanna see

by Anonymousreply 1311/11/2013

My parents just saw it today , said it was great.

by Anonymousreply 1411/11/2013

This is great news! I'll definitely go see it when it comes out here.

by Anonymousreply 1511/12/2013

They can't open wide because the people who know who Daniel Radcliffe is don't want to see a bio pic about Allen Ginsburg, and the (few) people who want to see a bio pic about Allen Ginsburg don't know who Daniel Radcliffe is (other than the 20 of us on the Datalounge, that is).

by Anonymousreply 1611/12/2013

It was boring trash.

by Anonymousreply 1711/12/2013

Rex Reed thought it was shallow and unenlightening.

by Anonymousreply 1811/12/2013

How ironic r18

by Anonymousreply 1911/12/2013

Rex Reed is an asshole, an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 2011/12/2013

I was surprised by Radcliffe's acting. I did not expect him to be able to pull this off.

by Anonymousreply 2111/13/2013

But.....Is there any Dane DeHaan nudity in it? Or shirtlessness, at least?

by Anonymousreply 2211/13/2013

Radcliffe is terrific in this.

by Anonymousreply 2311/13/2013

Was Michael C. Hall any good?

by Anonymousreply 2411/13/2013

I was hoping to see it in New Orleans over Thanksgiving but it has disappeared from the Coming Soon list at the Canal Place Theater. I guess we'll have to wait for streaming or DVD. I don't think "On the Road" was shown in many theaters either.

by Anonymousreply 2511/13/2013

But ON THE ROAD was horrid.

by Anonymousreply 2611/13/2013

and that too r26

by Anonymousreply 2711/13/2013

R24, the entire cast was great. But yes, MCH included.

by Anonymousreply 2811/13/2013

What a disappointment.

by Anonymousreply 2903/23/2014

by Anonymousreply 3003/24/2014

I just downloaded it from Piratebay. It is there at last.

by Anonymousreply 3103/24/2014

A very good film. Radcliffe is excellent, and I strongly urge everyone to see him on Broadway this season in "The Cripple of Innishame."

by Anonymousreply 3203/24/2014

I really enjoyed this movie. Some really good acting, especially from Daniel Radcliffe, Michael C. Hall, and the lovely Dane DeHaan.

by Anonymousreply 3303/30/2014

It's on youtube at least here in Europe. Most probably blocked in the US.

by Anonymousreply 3403/30/2014

I watched it last night and enjoyed it too. It is hard to find a place where it is playing so I had to download it.

by Anonymousreply 3503/30/2014

The movie would be a hard sell, since it is essentially two movies. One involves the coming out of the Beat Poet Alan Ginsberg (Radcliffe, who does indeed get fucked. Although that scene is tactfully shot, what is happening is very clear).

The other, which gets a lot more screen time, is a murder committed by Lucien Carr (DeHaan), a student in Ginsberg's time at Columbia who introduced him into what became known as the "Beat" circle though that is not the name they chose for themselves (they called themselves "The Immortals" for a time). That included Jack Kerouac and William Burroughs (Ben Foster, who I thought did the best acting though the part is rather small).

Carr's story was very complex and the details of the murder remain hard to explain, though he killed a possibly psychotic man who had been stalking him for years. Whether they had ever had sex is not known; Carr denied it and the other "Beats" believed him, but it remains an open question. Carr was not primarily homosexual, the man he killed was and was a close friend of Burroughs who introduced him to Carr when Carr was a teenager.

Carr went to jail for two years but then led a quiet life as an editor. Ginsberg dedicated HOWL to him and Carr had him remove the dedication. Carr married and had three children, one of whom, Caleb, is the novelist (The Alienist). Lucien Carr died in 2005, which, no doubt, made the movie easier to make.

All the writers referenced the murder in various works, not just the one mentioned above. A paper Ginsberg wrote about it got him thrown out of Columbia. He dealt drugs for and with Burroughs for years until he made his name. (Burroughs came from a rich family but got himself cut off for periods of time, for understandable reasons).

Ginsberg's story at this time might have been a little thin for a full length movie (though his mentally ill mother, and randy, poet father might have provided some texture). The murder and Carr (it seemed to me) rather blurred the point of the movie, and upstaged Ginsberg as a character. I did think Radcliffe very brave and mostly good, but didn't feel DeHaan had quite the charisma Carr was said to have by all those people who actually became writers.

A very interesting movie, obviously made very quickly on about twenty cents. I wonder how many people who go to movies today would have heard of Ginsberg, Kerouac or Burroughs, or would have any sense of how important the Beats were at one point in American life?

by Anonymousreply 3603/30/2014

Guys, i think Daniel is yours. He must be gay in reality, it doesn't matter if he has a beard now. I have never seen him so convincing in a role. It was like he was in his element, this time.

by Anonymousreply 3709/01/2014

I like Daniel ... hope he's ours.

by Anonymousreply 3809/01/2014

Im very familiar with he authors and thought the movie was okay. I agree that there were 2 different movies wrapped in one.

by Anonymousreply 3909/01/2014

The movie was actually good and very interesting. I also believe Daniel is gay, but i think he is not ready to come out. It's not easy coming out, especially for a young actor.

by Anonymousreply 4009/01/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!