Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What is the deal with diet soda?

I thought calories were calories and since it has 0 calories it's ok to drink it all day. But apparently not because the fake sugar tricks the brain into thinking you're consuming real sugar and so then what happens? I don't understand.

by Anonymousreply 2610/29/2013

I used to drink diet sodas all the time. I've stopped. Lost weight, feel better. Diet sodas are dangerous. Read below:

by Anonymousreply 110/28/2013

"She was an over-promoted cunt too. Think she was blowing the boss."

Wow, R2, cum and diet coke = Jizz Fizz

by Anonymousreply 310/28/2013

[quote]I never could see the point -- no sugar, no pep, chemical taste.

You get addicted to the taste. It becomes a water replacement.

OP, diet soda doesn't harm most people. If you're an addict chugging two liters a day, you're loading your body with phosphorous and other chemicals that interact with your gut to create scary shit.

by Anonymousreply 410/28/2013

R2 Aren't you required to drink Coke products in Atlanta?

by Anonymousreply 510/28/2013

They've never appealed to me, they just taste nasty. But people must really like them. Occasionally I drink the real thing instead and watch the quantity.

by Anonymousreply 610/28/2013

I'm with R6, although I drink real soda so rarely that I don't bother to watch the quantity. There's no reason to.

I hate the taste of diet soda.

by Anonymousreply 710/28/2013

I do treat myself to a Coke Zero 20oz occasionally, I must say.

by Anonymousreply 810/28/2013

I used to drink three or four cans of Diet Coke w/Lime before noon. This year I quit cold turkey and switched to coffee. I haven't bought a can of Diet Coke all year. I do still order it in restaurants because it's usually the only diet option available (I don't like iced tea.)

I haven't quit diet sodas altogether at home, but I try to stick to the ones sweetened with Splenda or anything other than aspartame. Hansen's has some good diet flavors, and the Zevia sodas (with stevia) are OK, but kind of pricey.

by Anonymousreply 910/28/2013

Canada Dry ginger ale with 10 calories is pretty good. You honestly can't tell the difference between it and regular ginger ale.

by Anonymousreply 1010/28/2013

It's the salt that causes people to bloat and overeat, not the sugar substitute. The deal with the sugar substitute is its possible cancer causing effect.

by Anonymousreply 1110/29/2013

I mean just think if you were in a lifeboat and told someone you'd drink a couple litres of seawater every day. People would tell you it was a bad idea. And yet in the marketplace, people say you're trying to be healthy by drinking diet soda, which is the same thing.

by Anonymousreply 1210/29/2013

It's pronounced Assssssssssspartame.

by Anonymousreply 1310/29/2013

No it is the nutrasweet or splenda. Studies show that the body treats it just like sugar as far as behavior and the more sugar you eat the more you crave it. Diet soda drinkers tend to over eat because they are forcing the crave. The other bad side effects are the artificial sweeteners increase bad bacteria in your gut. This can lead to Candida overtaking your system (basically a yeast infection in your body).

Things you can do - first use stevia if you must use a sweetener. It is a natural plant based sweetener that does not cause the same reactions as Nutrasweet (if you ever get the time check out how nutra sweet got fda approaval after being denied 10 times as toxic to the body).

Second - take a probiotic daily to help rebuild the good bacteria in your gut. This will balance out the bad and help to get rid of candida.

by Anonymousreply 1410/29/2013

I'll just fix myself a Dr. Pepper.

by Anonymousreply 1510/29/2013

I used to like Stevia. Not so much anymore.

by Anonymousreply 1610/29/2013

r15, funny!

by Anonymousreply 1710/29/2013

Our brain chemistry reacts when we take in large quantities of sugars, and, as you said, OP, even fake sugars which we mistake for real sugars.

The way we react is to shut down transmitters that tell us when we are hungry and when we are not. When this happens we overeat, taking in more calories that we need, which are stored as fat. For many this process also fucks with our blood sugar.

by Anonymousreply 1810/29/2013

Enjoy Hell, Lydia/R16!

by Anonymousreply 1910/29/2013

it does not fuck with blood sugar - insulin response to artificial sweeteners has been proven to be little to none. Diabetics have been using saccarine, nutra sweet, xylitol for decades.

It messes with your brain chemisty in other ways.

by Anonymousreply 2010/29/2013

Most artificial sweeteners are cancer-causing. The link below goes through all of them and tells you which ones cause leukemia, lymphoma, bladder and reproductive cancer, etc.

The safest sweeteners are honey (unless blood sugar issues) and stevia (without maltodextrin fillers). Green stevia has a strong aftertaste, refined white stevia powder or liquid (again, without fillers) tastes good. Agave is controversial, but some people find it helpful. The jury is out on that one.

Soda pop is bad not just because of the cancer-causing sweeteners, but also because it's dehydrating. You need to drink more water, not less, but many people just drink flavored drinks and they accidentally replace water.

It adds nothing to your health. Everything you put into your mouth should add to your health. So swallow more loads!

by Anonymousreply 2110/29/2013

Everything good is either illegal, immoral, fattening, causes cancer, or gives you an STD.

by Anonymousreply 2210/29/2013

So how does diet soda affect your brain. Does it make you more prone to vote Republican?

by Anonymousreply 2310/29/2013

I drank MANY Diet Cokes a day for years, then switched to caffeine free, but gave them all up years ago. I now pretty much just drink water and occasionally ginger ale. I feel much better but I think the years of aspartame killed off some brain cells.

by Anonymousreply 2410/29/2013

I never drink diet sodas - because you never see thin people drinking them.

by Anonymousreply 2510/29/2013

Both fake and real sugar are bad for you. They both contribute to diabetes.

by Anonymousreply 2610/29/2013
Need more help? Click Here.