Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Baby Jane Remake, with the Redgrave sisters..

In this clip, Baby Jane (Lynn Redgrave) attempts to reboot her career in a gay bar, unaware that it is transvestite talent night.

"There Should Be Love..."

by Anonymousreply 1010/28/2013

The Redgraves' tv version was a completely new and commendable production. I would never compare it to the 1962 theatrical release. Lynn is absolutely brilliant in this. Underrated, and attacked for no good reason!

by Anonymousreply 110/28/2013

Good Lord... How is it possible that I've never even heard of this? Can't believe Vanessa did it. Who produced it? A network, cable?

by Anonymousreply 210/28/2013

[all posts by tedious, racist idiot removed.]

by Anonymousreply 310/28/2013

A great idea, and I remember liking it all right, but as I recall it was 100% camp-free.

SPOILERS

The big dramatic moment was when the John Glover character (a sort of much nicer version of the Victor Buono one) surprises Jane in the middle of her comeback performance by appearing onstage with her, dressed and doing an impression of her. She flips out and he's like, derp, I thought it was funny.

by Anonymousreply 410/28/2013

As I recall, it's an excellent remake, very different from the original in tone. And Lynn is truly brilliant in it.

by Anonymousreply 510/28/2013

"unaware that it is transvestite talent night"

I think about Little Edie Beale when I read this, as she tried a cabaret act in the late '70's. Was she in on the joke?

by Anonymousreply 610/28/2013

Alas, little Edie Beale has moved into a new zip code and is unavailable for further questioning.

by Anonymousreply 710/28/2013

Vanessa did fine in the less demanding role, but Lynn couldn't come close to matching Bette's chilling performance. The original was more horror than camp.

by Anonymousreply 810/28/2013

I think this remake was far more entertaining

by Anonymousreply 910/28/2013

Vanessa did anything for money in those days to fund her political causes. Of course now that she is old and getting rather doddery she is revered, like an old monument - AND she has a still hot Franco Nero at home !

Shame Lynn died a few years ago, after that traumatic marriage breakup and her cancers. She was wonderful in her prime, and hiliarious in Gods & Monsters and that very touching scene in Kinsey, with Neeson - at the time the husband of her niece Natasha Richardson.

Love her 60s stuff like Smashing Time.

by Anonymousreply 1010/28/2013
Need more help? Click Here.