Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Has anyone here worked at Target?

Did you like it? Did it suck? What was/is your experience there?

by Anonymousreply 4411/26/2013

by Anonymousreply 110/28/2013

Did I say something wrong? I've been unemployed for months, and got called in for an interview for seasonal work there. I could use the money, and have few other options. I'm just wondering what to expect if they offer me something.

by Anonymousreply 210/28/2013

OP, good luck. Haven't worked at Target, but did the seasonal retail thing a few years ago the last time I was unemployed. I was tempted to apply again, but I'm not sure I can handle working retain again.

by Anonymousreply 310/28/2013

[quote]Did I say something wrong?

Of course you said nothing wrong, dollface.

Can't help OP but I'd be interested to hear if anyone can answer your question.

by Anonymousreply 410/28/2013

by Anonymousreply 510/28/2013

Target usually only employs people who qualify for the Work Opportunity Tax Credit. Veterans, welfare recipients, people on unemployment. That way, the government (read: taxpayers) pays the first $9,600 of their wages and Target gets virtually free labor. That's what an accountant I met told me. Most other box stores do the same. After you earn $9,600 they make up a reason to fire you and hire someone new so they never have to pay the workers from profits. It's corporate welfare. That's what I was told anyway, don't know if it's totally true. The aquaintance who said that is kind of a Tea Party nut who thinks everyone who makes less than him is ripping him off. Either way, if it's money in your pocket go for it.

by Anonymousreply 610/28/2013

very interesting r6. i wouldn't be a bit surprised if that wasn't true (or at least partially true)

by Anonymousreply 710/28/2013

I did computer work for a branch of Target. They were okay to work for, typical low pay and hour cuts, with CEO getting millions...

It really depends on your manager, I'd do it again if I were in need of a job.

by Anonymousreply 810/28/2013

shouldn't this thread be retitled - "Suicide in the obituary?"

by Anonymousreply 910/28/2013

Hi OP. I worked there and I started as a seasonal employee. Aside from the regular retail bullshit, these are the things that stood out

Be prepared to work crazy shifts if you are not an overnight employee (flow team). Target doesn't tell outright you that your shifts on paper will NOT be the hours you actually work. You might have to close (3pm-11pm), but in reality you might stay as late as 2am. The ETLs (see below) will not let the day shift leave until the store is near perfect looking, which takes hours during the holidays. This sucks if you are just working weekends and evenings, for example. Leave Target at 2am on Monday morning and need to start your regular workweek at 7am.

Target's professional employees, or Executive Team Leaders (ETL) act friendly (its their job) but are really hardcore assholes. This includes the Human Resources ETL you interviewed with. They will never take your side when you deal with the most awful, piece of shit customers. They are there to make themselves look good and be sure the corporate interests are being met.

by Anonymousreply 1010/28/2013

" They will never take your side when you deal with the most awful, piece of shit customers "

I would expect nothing less

by Anonymousreply 1110/28/2013

On the contrary, my HR always knew the awful, pos customers were wrong and backed me up. We showed many a scheming their to the door, with their worn or stolen merchandise.

by Anonymousreply 1210/28/2013

[quote]The ETLs (see below) will not let the day shift leave until the store is near perfect looking

I should've noted that they literally lock the entire store, and the only door you may exit out of has an alarm so they will be alerted if you leave before they think they store is pristine

[quote]The customer is always right

Yeah, until they piss off the ETL themselves and assets protection removes them from the store by force

by Anonymousreply 1310/28/2013

"Target usually only employs people who qualify for the Work Opportunity Tax Credit..."

Wrong. The one near me is also near a college, and all the workers are kids whose parents don't have much money.

Go for it. Might seem odd and beneath you at first, but you'll adapt just like everyone else. If you hate it, after Xmas you can just put on your resume' that it was seasonal and the job ended.

by Anonymousreply 1410/28/2013

[quote]After you earn $9,600 they make up a reason to fire you and hire someone new so they never have to pay the workers from profits.

At the Target I frequent, there are many workers who've been there for several years, so I'm fairly certain they've made well over $9,600 by now and are still there.

by Anonymousreply 1510/28/2013

I don't think it will be beneath me. I'm willing to work hard for a paycheck, and I've done the retail dance before. Heck, I met my partner at one of my retail jobs... so I know there are even unadvertised benefits.

I appreciate the input you've all provided. I feel like I know more about the place now, from a worker's perspective, and that's just what I needed. Hopefully it'll work out.

by Anonymousreply 1610/28/2013

I live in Brooklyn and when the Target opened at the Atlantic Mall everyone was thrilled because it was so much better than K-Mart. Interesting merchandise, especially in their World Bazaar pop up, and cheap but well made clothing. Now, it's pretty meh. The merchandise is pedestrian and the prices are not that great. The store itself looks kind of run down. And the employees on the floor look bored and disinterested in helping customers and they always look slovenly. Overweight and unkempt and squeezed into those red shirts and tan pants. Dreadful. And they like to talk to each other. A lot. Mostly about each other. And the management. And like most young people, they think nothing of using foul language when discussing the afore mentioned co-workers and bosses. Even when customers with children are within earshot. There is not one speck of professionalism on display nor do they take pride in what they do. I'd go for a seasonal job at Barnes and Noble.

by Anonymousreply 1710/28/2013

[quote]There is not one speck of professionalism on display nor do they take pride in what they do

It's hard to take pride in what you do when you when you are barely making a living wage and probably have zero benefits

by Anonymousreply 1810/28/2013

Bullshit, r18. I was hired for my first job at seventeen. Working in a five and dime. I took pride in my work. No matter how menial. I was thrilled to be making my own money, even if it was minimum wage. That little shit job made me feel good about myself and I did the best job I could. That set the tone for every job I have ever held. Of course, I went on to college, paying my own tuition. And I bought my first car with my earnings. I spent the past 37 years working as a nurse. And I was a damn good one. I'm retired now. Why should I expect less from someone in a minimum wage job than the standard I set for myself when I was that age? That way of thinking is why there are so few standards in how to conduct oneself in the work place. Or so little pride in the work people do.

by Anonymousreply 1910/28/2013

"And they like to talk to each other. A lot."

I've found this regularly in retail places. A couple of them will be gathered together in a clutch going, "She told me... then he clocked out... I went and told Ted...". Totally oblivious to customers; to interrupt them gets you the Death Stare.

by Anonymousreply 2010/28/2013

R17, what's a "pop up"?

by Anonymousreply 2110/28/2013

It was awful. They have no respect for their employees but if you need a job, you have to take it. I know someone who has worked for a Target for about 4 years and she's OK with it.

by Anonymousreply 2210/28/2013

People talk to each other. It's what humans do, especially young people.

To not even let employees communicate with each other...that's cruel. We are all suppose to be able to get some joy from our work. God knows you will be getting paid next to nothing and forget any kind of benefits, that never happens. Besides that, the work can be brutal.

by Anonymousreply 2310/28/2013

[quote]That little shit job

r17/r19, you say so much by saying this. When people know this is what you think of their job, guess what they treat you like?

And I'm sure this was in the 1940s when a person could actually live off minimum wage, grandma!

by Anonymousreply 2410/28/2013

Target will set up a space for a limited time to showcase certain designers and offer several special pieces designed just for Target, r21. In the case of the World Bazaar, they offered home furnishings from different countries and regions like India, Africa and Asia but once the items sold out or it was time for a different department to have the space, the Bazaar would be closed until the same time next year. Thomas O'Brien might have the space for a few weeks. And so on. It was nice that a bargain store offered items that were unique and upscale. Unfortunately, Target is looking more and more like K-Mart. Cheesy and boring.

by Anonymousreply 2510/28/2013

What planet are you broadcasting from, r25? Do you live in a small town? Like Mayberry? Sheesh. I suppose it must be nice to have that Pollyanna point of view about today's Yout but most of us have very different experiences. And they are not positive.

by Anonymousreply 2610/28/2013

[quote]I was hired for my first job at seventeen. Working in a five and dime.

Was your boss named Mr. McGee?

by Anonymousreply 2710/28/2013

I don't for one minute look down on anyone who works at a minimum wage job, r24. Too bad you can't make your point without being insulting or trying to misconstrue what I wrote. If I shop at Target then I am hardly putting on airs. Why so defensive? I started nursing school in 1976. Not that there is anything wrong with 1940;) I love the fashion and movies and music from that time. Unlike you, I never looked down on my elders.

by Anonymousreply 2810/28/2013

Yes, r27. Yes it was. How did you know?

by Anonymousreply 2910/28/2013

[quote]How did you know?

Lucky guess. Were you a bit too leisurely?

by Anonymousreply 3010/28/2013

I wouldn't go to Target except I can get cheap medication there. But in my experience they hire undocumented workers and misuse their employees.

Besides that, other then medication they don't have much. No caftans, I checked.

by Anonymousreply 3110/28/2013

Yes, briefly, when I was a teenager. Paid barely above minimum wage. Workers were micromanaged and generally treated like dirt. Highlight was being told to pretend to organize a shelf of the empty store that was already organized. Quit shortly after that.

by Anonymousreply 3210/28/2013

What is this "Yout" of which you speak?

"Pollyanna point of view about today's Yout.."

by Anonymousreply 3310/28/2013

OP- however bad a job at Target may or may not be, you can be sure it'll be far better than working at Walmart.

by Anonymousreply 3410/28/2013

Thank you, Barney at R25.

by Anonymousreply 3510/28/2013

R25, that is EXACTLY why me and my friend Fern stop by our Target every couple o' days to see the new high falutin' exhibition. Better than those big city museums and fancy art galleries by a country mile!

by Anonymousreply 3610/28/2013

Expect More. Pay Less.

That's our motto.

by Anonymousreply 3710/28/2013

A friend of mine from high school has worked there for a few years now. She does something in the office - HR maybe, I don't know. She travels a good bit and she's always talking about her "team meetings."

Anyway, she seems to be earning a very comfortable living. She has a master's degree in something totally unrelated, but just posted on Facebook a couple of months back that she'd paid off her students loans. Pretty impressive for a 26 year old, and years away for me.

I guess my point is that if you could somehow turn seasonal work into something long-term, it might not be so bad. Good luck, OP.

by Anonymousreply 3810/28/2013

[quote]To not even let employees communicate with each other...that's cruel.

This reminded me of working for a caterer in NYC years ago and suddenly they decided the waiters couldn't talk to each other. It's not like we were clustering together and ignoring people but standing serving at the buffet table for hours on end and not allowed to exchange words is indeed cruel. Then they fired me for looking grim faced about it.

But there are some stores here in London where the clustering is terrible. Light banter is OK, but when as a customer you feel like you're intruding asking a question is plain bad management.

by Anonymousreply 3910/28/2013

Oh please r19, when I worked retail, I knew full well it was shitty, low paying job and the effort I gave to it, A SHITTY ONE!

by Anonymousreply 4010/28/2013

Target is like a precious, fragile jewel. Do not fuck with it.

by Anonymousreply 4111/26/2013

Do people who work at the Apple stores make good money?

Which grocery store pays better, Whole Foods or Central Market?

by Anonymousreply 4211/26/2013

Haven't worked there, but I know people who've worked there (among others). Target isn't the worst or the best.

Just get hired, do the minimum to not get fired, enjoy the (usually) high count of gays in retail, gossip, don't take it seriously, and count your blessings you're not working one of guys working the real hellholes like Kohls or Walmart this season.

by Anonymousreply 4311/26/2013

If you do get a job there, please let us know so we can use your employee discount.

by Anonymousreply 4411/26/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!