Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I'VE HAD IT UP TO HERE with people who think they've gotten the flu from the flu shot!!!!!

This drives me absolutley fucking nuts. I was on the phone with a sick friend last night. He got the flu shot on Thursday and started getting sick Saturday night. He kept insisting he got the flu from the flu shot. I told him that that was impossible, since the shot contains dead virus. What happened is that he contracted the flu before the two-week window that it takes the shot to have its full effect, or, more likely, he has one of many upper respiratory bugs making the rounds.

He refused to believe me. He is the third fucking idiot I've encountered over the past two weeks who, despite my protests, claims they got the flu after taking the shot. I can't take these people. When did people become so fucking stupid? When did this happen? I swear if one more of these imbeciles makes this claim, I am going to fucking lose my shit. I've tried to be nice to these morons, but the next person who makes this claim is going to be the recipient of a tirade on how stupid they and the rest of the world are!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 7010/29/2013

Adjust your meds, OP.

And get a life, so you aren't all up in other people's business.

by Anonymousreply 110/28/2013

I'm embarrassed to know you OP. Get a fucking life cretin, you disgust me.

by Anonymousreply 210/28/2013

OP IT'S BECAUSE THE FLU SHOT GAVE THEM AUTISM!!

by Anonymousreply 310/28/2013

[all posts by racist flame bait troll removed, ISP notified with full text of all posts.]

by Anonymousreply 410/28/2013

I agree OP. Go ahead and unleash your tirade.

by Anonymousreply 510/28/2013

A cold/flu is making its way around my area and I've caught it.

I think of a Captain Tripps type of pandemic every time I get sick.

Yes, I'm that important.

by Anonymousreply 610/28/2013

actually, OP you're wrong.

I got the flu shot last year, within 2 days I got the flu (bad too). Doctor told me NOT to get another flu shot.

This happens too often to be anecdotal.

by Anonymousreply 710/28/2013

r7, my love, it is impossible to get the flu from a dead virus, which is what the shot contains. The mist vaccine does contain live virus, so it is possible to get a mild case of the flu from that. Now repeat after me..."I CANNOT GET THE FLU FROM A DEAD VIRUS."

by Anonymousreply 810/28/2013

i don't agree r8. so, let's agree to disagree.

by Anonymousreply 910/28/2013

OP, with all due respect I did know a girl who got a flu shot, and then she died.

by Anonymousreply 1010/28/2013

Flu shots = total waste of time and money.

We are being conned.

by Anonymousreply 1110/28/2013

Every year I come down with a cold right after my flu shot. I'm not saying I get the flu from it; I know the difference. But I'm not convinced there's not something to people's complaints of getting sick from it.

by Anonymousreply 1210/28/2013

I think the offices where you get your flu shots are hot-beds of flu activity and should be avoided.

by Anonymousreply 1310/28/2013

#1 flu myth, courtesy of Harvard.

by Anonymousreply 1410/28/2013

OP, so you're saying it's impossible for certain people's bodies to react negatively to a foreign substance injected into their bloodstream? And you're the one calling other people dumb?

by Anonymousreply 1510/28/2013

You certainly can have an injection site or allergic reaction to the shot when a foreign substance is injected into your body. I'm not disputing that. However, you will not get the flu or any upper respiratory symptoms from the shot, genius.

by Anonymousreply 1610/28/2013

Doctors see seven or eight patients within a fifteen minute span and then rotate. If you want to get sick during flu season, visit a doctor's office.

People are filthy.

by Anonymousreply 1710/28/2013

You aren't entitled to your own facts r9, there is no agreeing to disagree. I agree with you OP but people's ignorance of science in this country is appalling so I can't say I am surprised.

by Anonymousreply 1810/28/2013

r18, read r15 comment.

by Anonymousreply 1910/28/2013

A work acquaintance got a flu shot one year and couldn't move her hands right for months. I ain't gettin' one of those damned shots.

by Anonymousreply 2010/28/2013

r19, I suggest you read my comment at r16. r15 is unable to comprehend the difference between allergic reactions and flu symptoms.

by Anonymousreply 2110/28/2013

OP is also a big supporter of nuclear power because he thinks the risk of contaminating an area for 10,000 years with deadly radiation through sloppy administration and natural disaster is "manageable," and to think otherwise is to be a "Luddite."

by Anonymousreply 2410/28/2013

r22/r24, loves of my life, no one is disputing that there may be long-term health risks involved with the flu vaccine.

by Anonymousreply 2510/28/2013

OP think of it this way. The flu vaccine only works on a narrow band of flu viruses. So if a new killer strain arises, the vaccine won't work on it anyway. Unless you have HIV or are very elderly or have other immune suppressed conditions, why would you bother for a minor illness?

by Anonymousreply 2610/28/2013

R7, get a new doctor, stat.

by Anonymousreply 2710/28/2013

r26, that's not the point of this discussion, but I will humor you. No, it's hardly 100% effective, but it offers substantial protection against the flu, and if you do get the flu despite having gotten the shot, you'll likely get a milder case. Other health issues, such as asthma, which I have, can be exacerbated by the flu. I learned that the hard way about 10 years ago. In addition, if you protect yourself from the flu, you're protecting those around you.

by Anonymousreply 2810/28/2013

And right on time, here comes posters like r22 and r23 sounding a conspiracy theory alarm trying to pretend they actually understand anything about biology. Sigh.

People will always believe what they want to believe and make sweeping judgements about things they are in no way qualified to judge.

by Anonymousreply 2910/28/2013

You said this is the third person you've encountered who said the flu shot made them sick.

Perhaps you should refrain from hanging around IGNORANT PEOPLE?

Ya think?

Trying to convince an ignoramus the shot didn't cause them to be sick is like arguing with a drunk.

Just roll your eyes and ignore their stupid banter and run along instead of getting all upset acting like a nut.

I blow you a kiss for your cock.

by Anonymousreply 3010/28/2013

OP, Thank you! We had a fat frau in our office who would loudly, aggressively and repeatedly declaim that "flu shots make you sick" every year. Look, it's a personal decision, but a lot of people are very quick to get on the hysterical illness bandwagon (and you know who you are).

by Anonymousreply 3110/28/2013

So OP, what are the potential symptoms to an "allergic reaction"? Headache, aches, sluggishness, an increase in white blood cells? In other words, people are feeling symptoms they might associate with the flu. You're trying to deny how people know they feel so of course they're going to argue.

I haven't gotten a flu shot since I was a kid and I have been sick with the flu perhaps three times since. I also have a coworker who got a flu shot which hospitalized him for three months. He still has numbness in his limbs.

It is more than plausible that people have all sorts of reactions to the flu shot that would make them sick. Don't call it "the flu", OP. The net effect for them is the same.

by Anonymousreply 3210/28/2013

r32, good lord, I'm not arguing that people don't have allergic reactions to the shot, but those reactions DO NOT mimic flu-like symptoms. Allergic reactions can include hives, wheezing, accelerated heartbeat, and dizziness. Flu-like symptoms are different and include fever, sneezing, cough, chills, and body aches. Besides injection site reactions, the only types of adverse reactions one would have to the shot are the types of allergy symptoms I mention. Anyone mistaking his/her allergic reactions for the flu is mentally challenged.

by Anonymousreply 3310/28/2013

I had never had the flu before.

About seven years ago, I decided to get a flu shot since my company had someone come in and administer them free of any hassle. That winter (I don’t remember how long after getting the shot), I got sick with the flu so badly I wanted to die. I missed work for a week. I’m not saying the shot was the cause, but I’ve never gotten another one and I’ve never been sick since.

It wasn’t all bad. After not being able to smoke for those five days, I FINALLY was able to give up cigarettes.

by Anonymousreply 3410/28/2013

Agree with OP. Same people that think vaccinations cause autism.

by Anonymousreply 3510/28/2013

What do YOU think causes autism, R35?

by Anonymousreply 3610/28/2013

OP, please bear in mind that there are scores of DL readers who never had the logical & important distinctions pointed out to them regarding the word "fact" and the word "opinion."

Further complicating this illiterate confusion (conflation, really) of the two concepts is the reality that facts are digital (either TRUE or FALSE), while opinions are analog.

So, in the land of people with brains in their skulls, if you present fact A to me, and I get upset with being presented that fact, then I have one option: admit to myself (and maybe to you if I am courteous) that I was mistaken, assimilate this new factual information, and move on.

But opinions are analog, meaning that if I don't like your fact A (remember: this is in the mind of someone who unthinkingly thinks facts and opinions are the same thing), then I will counter with my opinion B, and will deliver it meekly, strongly, or over the top depending on what I feel is needed to *convince* you I am right and you're not.

Don't people learn logic or debate anymore?

So, remember that many on this site will cross examine you for medical information and hold you to the level of a physician, even though you might not be one; whereas, they'll gladly reveal their darkest secrets to you if you claim to be a "psychic."

So, if you say something factual to one of these people who cannot grasp the difference between a fact and an opinion, and it causes a

by Anonymousreply 3710/28/2013

Dearheart OP, it's not the content per se, but the tone. Your hyperventilating makes me want to insist it's true just to rile you up. Or to parody you. The bottom line (even though I know you came here to vent so you don't blow up IRL) is your message and credibility are blown to pieces due to How you Choose to Convey it.

by Anonymousreply 3810/28/2013

In other words, after a flu shot one could get a different strain of flu or a cold which the shot was not designed to protect. Personally I always get preventative shots and didn't realize that I was suffering from seasonal allergies, rather than an illness.

by Anonymousreply 3910/28/2013

Some people are adversely effected by the shot, I have never had one. I had a family member die from the flu shot and other members deathly sick after having the shot.

None for me thanks.

by Anonymousreply 4010/28/2013

Ok, OP, calm the fuck down. I got the mist version last year. I had never had a flu shot before but for some reason the doc insisted that I take one since he said the flu was coming in very strongly this year.

Against my better judgement I said okay. He then tells me they are out of the shot and that they would give me the mist version.

The very next day I started feeling like crap. I missed work for an entire week.

Nausea, fever, aches, pains, diarrhea, congestion, you name it, I had it.

FUCK the flu shot(and the mist, too)!!!!!

P.S. Are you a doctor?

by Anonymousreply 4110/28/2013

It is a total office frau thing. or workplace provides the shot free every year on a clinic day in our lobby. Every fucking year I have to hear about how it makes them sick, they think. Half of them will still go down to get it. Bunch of confused hypochondriacs. Last year one lady who sits next to me complained all afternoon that her arm hurt afterwards. "I don't know if it should hurt this much. Does your arm hurt? Mine really hurts. Gonna stretch my arm, it still hurts. ...." FUCK.

by Anonymousreply 4210/28/2013

Who are you people who work in these Cube Frau Farms? Don't you have your own office with -- get ready now -- gasp -- a door? Are there any DLers who work in upper management and not the secretarial pool?

by Anonymousreply 4310/28/2013

Offices with doors are a relic. Only law firms use them anymore R43.

by Anonymousreply 4410/28/2013

The flu shot has probably harmed more people than it helped. The medical community has got to stop over-selling its expertise. Their history of incompetence is against them (see the war against aspirin that cost more than 1 million unnecessary deaths in this country).

by Anonymousreply 4510/28/2013

Bullshit r44

by Anonymousreply 4610/28/2013

Link please, r45.

by Anonymousreply 4710/28/2013

I got mine on Saturday and I thought it was odd they made me hang around for about 10 minutes afterward to see if I would have a reaction. That hadn't happened before.

by Anonymousreply 4810/28/2013

The long war on aspirin in favor of an inferior product.

by Anonymousreply 4910/28/2013

aspirin cuts the risk of heart attacks by 60%. It also leads to lower death rate from lung cancer. One illogical study funded by the aspiring alternative industry claimed that while non-fatal heart attacks are prevented by aspirin, fatal ones are not. But this is obvious bullshit. More than a million people have died unnecessarily due to heart attacks that aspirin would have prevented. All because the medical community attacked aspirin (and later quinine) on behalf of drug companies that wanted to wring mroe profit than was available for these ancient and unpatented drugs.

by Anonymousreply 5010/28/2013

I meant 40% not 60%.

by Anonymousreply 5110/28/2013

Ah yes r45 another self important blowhard with an internet connection who thinks he understands how science and medicine work.

by Anonymousreply 5210/28/2013

So, it sounds like there is some controversy about the flu shot.

by Anonymousreply 5310/28/2013

Well, others might not get the flu from a flu shot, but apparently YOU can have a stroke from others getting a flu shot.

by Anonymousreply 5410/28/2013

No there isn't R53, there is controversy about flu shots in the same way there is controversy about evolution or climate change.

by Anonymousreply 5510/28/2013

thank god you brought this up, OP, it is THE defining issue of our time.

by Anonymousreply 5610/28/2013

R36, well, seeing as how the extreme rise in autism diagnosis in the new generation wasn't happening during my childhood not so long ago, and how baby boomers and the military population were vaccinated for loads of shit and have since popped out 2 relatively autism free generations... I'd say it's something new (vaccinations are not new by a long shot) or a trendy diagnosis. Remember ADD? Anyhow, the people with off the wall theories usual display stunning ignorance of basic medical concepts. The supposed autism vaccination correlation was debunked forever ago. Try google.

by Anonymousreply 5710/28/2013

My frau friend recently said that she had to rest because she ate a bagel and become hypoglycemic.

True. Story.

by Anonymousreply 5810/28/2013

People are incredibly uninformed and yet so strongly opinionated.

At dinner, a colleague's wife said she had special filters put into shower heads in her home. She also refuses to swim in the sea, too salty. I asked why and she told me that she wanted to filter out all the salt because she had high blood pressure and is sensitive to sodium.

I tried to explain that ingested sodium may affect blood pressure. I also pointed out that people have bathed in natural mineral/salt baths for centuries as a health practice. Soaking swollen feet in epsom salts usually results in reducing fluid retention.

She just stared at me, then said, "Well that's what you think".

by Anonymousreply 5910/28/2013

I was once a vivacious, lively, beautiful athlete until I got my flu shot in 2008.....

by Anonymousreply 6010/28/2013

OP:

I used to get the flu shot every year. And EVERY TIME, i'd come down with the few a matter of days later.

So I stopped getting flu shots.

I haven't had the flu since.

It's been years and years.

The correlation seems rather compelling to me. No matter how "impossible" doctors and scientists say it is, I don't have any other explanation. It's just too tight of a correlation to be coincidence.

by Anonymousreply 6110/28/2013

for R61

A coincidence (often stated as a mere coincidence) is a collection of two or more events or conditions, closely related by time, space, form, or other associations which appear unlikely to bear a relationship as either cause to effect or effects of a shared cause, within the observer's or observers' understanding of what cause can produce what effects.

The word is derived from the Latin cum- ("with", "together") and incidere (a composed verb from "in" and "cadere": "to fall on", "to happen"). In science, the term is generally used in a more literal translation, e.g., referring to when two rays of light strike a surface at the same point at the same time. In this usage of coincidence, there is no implication that the alignment of events is surprising, noteworthy or non-causal.

From a statistical perspective, coincidences are inevitable and often less remarkable than they may appear intuitively. An example is the birthday problem, where the probability of two individuals sharing a birthday already exceeds 50% with a group of only 23.[1]

A coincidence lacks a definite causal connection. Any given set of coincidences may be just a form of synchronicity, that being the experience of events which are causally unrelated, and yet their occurring together carries meaning to the person observing the events. (In order to count as synchronicity, the events should be unlikely to occur together by chance).

by Anonymousreply 6210/28/2013

I don't get them because I'm pretty sure the North Koreans have placed monkeys in the labs who sneak live viruses into the vaccine at night when no one's watching. This is why Andrew Breitbart had to be eliminated.

by Anonymousreply 6310/29/2013

My sister got a flu shot and grew a dick...bigger than mine. Fucking flu shot.

by Anonymousreply 6410/29/2013

Flu shots are a part of global mind control.

by Anonymousreply 6510/29/2013

Thanks, Obama!

by Anonymousreply 6610/29/2013

R62, I think R17 has a better explanation to explain the correlation than the near statistical impossibility of a 100% correlation over the course of decades.

by Anonymousreply 6710/29/2013

A family member developed Guillain-Barre' syndrome from a flu shot. The paralysis that happened because of it was far-reaching, and relentless. He died about 9 months later. Flu shot? Not on your life!

by Anonymousreply 6810/29/2013

OP IS PROOF EATING CUM MAKES YOU STUPID

by Anonymousreply 6910/29/2013

You can avoid the flu by washing your hands. Invest in a little soap, people.

by Anonymousreply 7010/29/2013
Need more help? Click Here.