Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Elderly Hoarders

Cost of renovations at private Manhattan apartment complex rises because of hoarders.

by Anonymousreply 1810/29/2013

[all posts by racist flame bait troll removed, ISP notified with full text of all posts.]

by Anonymousreply 110/28/2013

[quote]Keany said he realized hoarding was getting out of control when staff helped an elderly man clear out boxes from his apartment, only to see him retrieve them from the dumpster later that night.

I experienced this with my dad. I filled three dumpsters (he owned a big house). I had to hide some 'treasures' under boxes and trash bags until each dumpster was too full for him to sneak in and investigate. Everything was "very old and very valuable". Unfortunately, everything was also broken or missing pieces.

I was the bad guy.

by Anonymousreply 210/28/2013

I tend to hoard, but have had to move several times in the last years. It really helps pare things down.

by Anonymousreply 310/28/2013

A tenant who created the mess says his possible eviction equates to the Holocaust, creating faux anti-Semitism as the reason instead of taking responsibility for the problem.

by Anonymousreply 410/28/2013

revolting. I'd never be friends with or date a hoarder.

by Anonymousreply 510/28/2013

r1, if you are living in an apartment building somebody's hoarding is going to have an impact of all the other residents in the building. It doesn't stay confined to a single apartment.

In this example, they can't update the HVAC due to the hoarders, but hoarding also attracts all kinds of pest-mice, roaches, rats etc. In an apartment situation this is an issue for everybody.

by Anonymousreply 610/28/2013

r1 hoarding in "THEIR home" as you call it, affects tenants in a 15-building, 2,800 unit development. This is not one person in a house on a suburban street.

They're preventing neighbors from getting updated air conditioning and electrical systems. The only way to force hoarders to clean up is for FDNY to do an apartment-by-apartment evaluation. If they determine a fire hazard you should be evicted.

by Anonymousreply 710/28/2013

[quote]Hoarding's gross, but if it's THEIR home and in the cases where their hoarding is bringing no harm or risk to anyone, leave them the fuck alone.

It's a co-op. The corporation owns the apartment. They are legally tenants of the co-op, and they own a small share of the corporation. Plus, this co-op is subsidized housing. Hoarding is a fire hazard.

by Anonymousreply 810/28/2013

I lived in a co-op in which we sold back his shares to a hoarder. It was in DC, and it took two years, but we did it.

He used to go through trash and take it back to his apartment. I used to see him wearing a sweatshirt sometimes that could only have been one I threw away.

I had the great misfortune of living one up and one over from him, and I got a major roach attack as a result, but ultimately, it was worse having the guy in the building.

by Anonymousreply 910/28/2013

In R9, the roaches came to my apartment [italic]after[/italic] the hoarder left.

by Anonymousreply 1010/28/2013

Recently the NYC Housing Authority did a survey to determine the number of tenants in each unit. Many apartments where parents raised kids in two and three bedrooms had only one or two adults. The kids grew up and moved.

When the city attempted to make these apartments available to people with young children, Ma and Pa are refusing to take a one bedroom apartment claiming "this is my home." They feel entitled while paying only 25% of their income for the apartment.

by Anonymousreply 1110/28/2013

As well they should. Obviously the $40 million figure is a scam. If they are paying that to deal with hoarders, then they are being ripped off.

by Anonymousreply 1210/28/2013

I imagine the contractors charged a shitload for having to come back each time an apartment was cleared. Each one would be outside the scope of their original bid for the work.

by Anonymousreply 1310/28/2013

I have a hoarder on my floor. He also has OCD in which he places three large square cardboard boxes piled up on top of each other out in the hallway directly in front of his door (looks like a large jack in the box) He will only enter or exit when nobody else is around so no one will see into his apartment. I worry that his illness has probably created a fire hazard inside his apartment. This month he added a few more boxes to his barricade which is becoming an eyesore in the hallway. Every week when the super mops the floor, he acts like it's not there.

by Anonymousreply 1410/28/2013

[all posts by tedious, racist idiot removed.]

by Anonymousreply 1510/28/2013

Haven't there been cases where hoarders' stuff proved to be too heavy for the floor supports, creating structural problems?

by Anonymousreply 1610/28/2013

To answer my own question w/ a Google search. More than once. This is once case.

by Anonymousreply 1710/28/2013

r4 in the middle of the night should throw out the boxes in front of his door.

by Anonymousreply 1810/29/2013
Need more help? Click Here.