Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Why is everything flavored pumpkin now?

Beer, coffee, baked goods...everything pumpkin. I know it's seasonal but I don't remember this 10 years ago. Has anyone else noticed? It's so clearly a concerted marketing push. Who's behind it? Pumpkin Growers of America?

Maybe it's me, but I don't find any of it appetizing. Quite the opposite. Would you drink squash-flavored beer or get a hankering for a squash cupcake?

Do any of you like pumpkin beer or coffee or pumpkin brownies or pumpkin fudge? What other pumpkin flavored crap have you encountered?

by Anonymousreply 13110/18/2014

Pumpkin itself doesn't have much taste, it is the spices it typically pairs with that imparts the flavor -- cinnamon, nutmeg, etc.

by Anonymousreply 110/28/2013

I never did much like pumpkin pie, I do like pumpkin ice cream though...

by Anonymousreply 210/28/2013

I love pumpkin pie and pumpkin spice lattes and pumpkin doughnuts. But the doughnuts have to be made by a real bakery. Not Entenmanns or some other off store brand. I find pumpkin bread and muffins are dry and don't really taste that good. I have never had a pumpkin cupcake. I even tried Blue Marble pumpkin ice cream but it was just ok. Most, if not all, of these items are only offered during the fall season. You'll survive.

by Anonymousreply 310/28/2013

For the lemmings, dear.

by Anonymousreply 410/28/2013

Some marketing douchebag needed to pretend to be doing something constructive so they started a Pumpkin Spice initiative.

by Anonymousreply 610/28/2013

It is's pumpkin season!

by Anonymousreply 710/28/2013

Can you fix the poll, OP? I've been a hater since my first taste of pumpkin pie, so I can't vote.

Incidentally, I saw something on TV in the last day or two citing the fact that after Christmas, Halloween is the "holiday" Americans spend the most money on. Perhaps it's the Halloween promoters who are behind the October pumpkin push, which I agree did not exist to this extent ten years ago.

by Anonymousreply 810/28/2013

I can deal with pumpkin lattes a few weeks out of the year. And Whole Foods in NOLA used to sell a dynamite pumpkin bread back in the late 90s-Katrina. My sister and I had an incredible pumpkin-butternut squash bisque in Vermont a few years ago.

But for most of us deep Southernites, sweet potato is the go-to, not pumpkin. Sweet potato bread, mousse, pie, bisque--all heavenly. Plus the amazing plain sweet potato, baked in its own jacket.

For the more adventurous, the Baton Rouge-based Kleinpeter Dairy Farms makes a fantastic sweet potato pie ice cream. It's rBGH-free, made with locally-sourced products like Bergeron's pecans (from Pointe Coupee Parish).

by Anonymousreply 910/28/2013

R1 is exactly right. Nothing really tastes that much like pumpkin-- it's the cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and cloves. (The so-called "warm spices.") You could probably substitute almost any winter squash and if you used the same spice mixture, no one would be able to tell the difference.

by Anonymousreply 1010/28/2013

SNL had a funny commercial this week introducing Pumpkin Spiced Douches. The writers too recognized the saturation of pumpkin spiced products in the fall

by Anonymousreply 1110/28/2013

Welcome to America, where the entire month of October has become about selling Halloween shit, until Christmas and Thanksgiving both start Nov. 1.

P.S. Valentine's day now is a month long.

by Anonymousreply 1210/28/2013

Overrated and overpriced Godiva Chocolatier makes a delicious pumpkin truffle.

I haven't been a cutomer of theirs for years so I don't know if they still make them.

Thanks for the info, r1 and r10. You reminded me of when, as a child, I tasted raw pumpkin. Talk about blandsville.

by Anonymousreply 1310/28/2013

In terms of coffee and beer it has less to do with pumpkin and the fact that those beverages come in a much wider variety of flavors than they once did.

by Anonymousreply 1410/28/2013

[quote]Can you fix the poll, OP? I've been a hater since my first taste of pumpkin pie, so I can't vote.

Oh, sure thing, Jayden. I'll get right on that.

by Anonymousreply 1510/28/2013

Of course you can't change it, OP. I posted that to tell you what a fucking idiot you are not to have included "Pumpkin is so disgusting in every way, I wouldn't eat it with your mouth" as a voting option.

by Anonymousreply 1610/28/2013

The only pumpkins I like are The Smashing Pumpkins.

by Anonymousreply 1710/28/2013

[quote]SNL had a funny commercial this week introducing Pumpkin Spiced Douches.

I actually enjoy all the pumpkin-flavored stuff this time of year, but that's hilarious. And who knew SNL still had it in them to be funny on occasion?

by Anonymousreply 1810/28/2013

I love pumpkin bread and muffins. The pumpkin adds moisture, so I can make really good muffins with no oil or butter added. Lots of vitamins in pumpkin as well.

by Anonymousreply 1910/28/2013

Because pumpkin is a kind of squash, a crazy aunt-in-the-attic kind of squash but a squash nonetheless.

I have just recently begun the long and strange journey into the wonderful world of squash.

Yellow summer squash, zucchini squash, acorn squash, spaghetti squash, butternut squash, calabaza squash, delicata squash, hubbard squash, kabocha squash, and pumpkin squash.

They are all so delicious!

Sometimes when I'm in bed at night, I think about what kind of squash I'd be if I were a squash (I think either a hubbard or acorn! I know!---I bet you were expecting me to say Calabaza! Did I surprise you?)

I would love to fill up my hot tub with warm, soft, gooey Calabaza squash innards and jump in with my favorite book and a nice Chardonnay.

by Anonymousreply 2010/28/2013

I'd be a gourd. :(

by Anonymousreply 2110/28/2013

SMS sells more shit

by Anonymousreply 2210/28/2013

That doesn't bother me as half as much as your troll-dar stalking does, r23. We are all adults here. Following this person around D.L. is going to make a difference, how? Fuck off, Chicken Little. We don't need you to protect us from the crazies. Considering what you do is CRAZY.

by Anonymousreply 2410/28/2013

I blew this guy last night he load was pumpkin spice flavored...

by Anonymousreply 2510/28/2013

Has Coca-Cola or Pepsi-Cola come out with a Cola flavored with Pumpkin?

by Anonymousreply 2610/28/2013

I didn't stop to see who made it, R26, but I saw Pumpkin Pie Soda in a big display at the store today.

by Anonymousreply 2710/28/2013

Jones Soda used to make a "Holiday Dinner" soda pack. Some of the flavors were pretty gross (Turkey and Gravy, Green Bean Casserole, Brussels Sprout) but one year they had a Pumpkin Pie flavored soda.

by Anonymousreply 2810/28/2013

[quote]Considering what you do is CRAZY.

Uh, that's rich coming at the end of your unhinged diatribe.

by Anonymousreply 2910/28/2013

That was me r25, man you were thirsty little whore.

by Anonymousreply 3110/28/2013

People who can't spell "femme" are even more dismissible, R37 (to say nothing of "dismissible").

by Anonymousreply 3910/28/2013

The pumpkin spice douche commercial from SNL was spot on!

I got a pumpkin spice coffee from Starbucks and threw over half of it away.

by Anonymousreply 4010/28/2013

It's amazing how much venom this completely innocuous gourd has dredged up.

I should start a thread on belladonna and the nightshade family.

by Anonymousreply 4310/28/2013

by Anonymousreply 4710/28/2013

The only pumpkin flavored stuff I like is the pumpkin pie ice cream made by a local dairy, but all their ice cream is great.

by Anonymousreply 5110/28/2013

[quote]I love how one of them lambasts OP for accusing others of racism in other threads. Hell-ooo? This place is overrun with racists.

Haha, I know. It's like lambasting somebody for mentioning that gay people post here.

by Anonymousreply 5310/28/2013

What R52 said.

And, I like roasted pumpkin seeds.

by Anonymousreply 5410/28/2013

what r8 and r12 said. Also, for whatever reason Halloween is the fastest-growing holiday in terms of retail spending. Much more growth opportunity here than, say, Christmas or Thanksgiving.

Surprised there are not more candy-corn and carameled-apple beers, coffees, baked goods, etc.

by Anonymousreply 5510/28/2013

Starbucks uses artificial flavors in their pumpkin-flavored drinks; tastes awful. Cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and nutmeg, which we associate with pumpkin pie, actually have many health benefits.

by Anonymousreply 5610/28/2013

I'm not a huge fan of pumpkin beer, although watermelon is worse.

by Anonymousreply 6110/28/2013

[quote]Cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and nutmeg, which we associate with pumpkin pie, actually have many health benefits.

True, but you'd have to ingest ridiculous amounts for them to have any discernible benefit.

by Anonymousreply 6210/28/2013

[quote]a day long passed

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 6410/28/2013

Even cum tastes like pumpkin lately.

by Anonymousreply 6610/28/2013

Everyone is pointing fingers at YOU, r67, who are exactly the right(wing) person to point them at.

I generally really like pumpkin-flavored beers, but Shipyard Pumpkin Ale is an abomination; I had to pour 5.5 bottles down the sink. Consider yourselves warned.

by Anonymousreply 6810/28/2013

R68 likes to pretend he is the Hall Monitor.

by Anonymousreply 6910/28/2013

[quote][R68] likes to pretend he is the Hall Monitor.

Rrrrrrighht. Except for how I haven't actually told anybody else here what to post, or what to stop posting. That distinction would go to you ("give it a rest," etc.). I guess maybe that's your problem—you're afraid someone's trying to steal your self-appointed Hall Monitor job.

by Anonymousreply 7110/28/2013

This is why we can't have nice threads.

by Anonymousreply 7310/28/2013

LOVE PUMPKIN...especially pumpkin pancakes!

by Anonymousreply 7410/28/2013

Even my shit tastes like pumpkin.

by Anonymousreply 7610/28/2013

Is he Roger Octopus Network, R77 R79?

by Anonymousreply 8010/29/2013

I don't know, R80. He's Crazy Network, that's for sure.

by Anonymousreply 8110/29/2013

He's the guy who started the "no Hispanics and Negros (sic)" thread.

by Anonymousreply 8210/29/2013

Yep. He's a real piece of work.

But just to get back to the subject of the thread for a minute - I don't mind pumpkin bread and - oddly enough - it is good with chocolate chips.

I wouldn't have thought that but when I tried it - delicious.

by Anonymousreply 8310/29/2013

I was just wondering about this the other night. My date ordered bread pudding. Normally I love bread pudding, but this was pumpkin spice flavored. So unnecessary. He loved it though.

by Anonymousreply 8410/29/2013

Bad poll, I fucking hate pumpkin pie. Texture like something that came out of a baby diaper.

by Anonymousreply 8510/29/2013

I cannot taste the difference between pumpkin pie and sweet potato pie.

by Anonymousreply 8610/29/2013

Pumpkin-spice flavored anything (except pie) = Frau Food.

by Anonymousreply 8710/29/2013

R85 Finally, someone who knows his shit when it comes to pumpkin pie.

by Anonymousreply 8810/29/2013

I blame JK Rowling for this phenomenon

by Anonymousreply 8910/29/2013

DL is pumpkin-flavored, too, now.

by Anonymousreply 9010/29/2013

I have two sugar pie pumpkins that I received in my weekly produce delivery. I don't want to make any dessert item (e.g., muffins, pie) with them ... is there a good way they can be used in a low-calorie, low fat recipe? (Also have two acorn squashes, if anyone has any good suggestions for those.)

by Anonymousreply 9110/29/2013

R91, this is very good -- Marlena Spieler’s Zucca Agro-Dolce (SF Chronicle, 10/25/07):

1 lb. pumpkin, peeled & cut into 1/4" thick rounds

3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

Pinch sugar

1/8 teaspoon cinnamon

1/8 teaspoon allspice

2 garlic cloves, chopped

1 1/2 cups diced tomatoes (if using 14oz can, include juices; if using fresh, add 1/2 cup tomato sauce)

3 tablespoons raisins

1 tablespoon sugar

1/2 teaspoon paprika (or smoked paprika)

2 tablespoons red wine vinegar

Salt and cayenne pepper (or ground chipotle) to taste

Using a large frying pan and working in batches, lightly brown the pumpkin in 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, sprinkling with a pinch of sugar, cinnamon and allspice toward the end of the browning. Remove to a plate.

Into the hot pan toss the remaining oil and garlic and cook a moment or two — just until fragrant, do not let brown.

Then quickly add the tomatoes, raisins, sugar, paprika and vinegar; simmer a few minutes to reduce the tomatoes to a thick sauce.

Return the pumpkin to the pan. Season with salt and cayenne pepper, balance the sugar and vinegar, and serve either warm or at cool room temperature.

Optional: for added texture, sprinkle with toasted slivered almonds or pine nuts.

PER SERVING: 110 calories, 1 g protein, 13 g carbohydrate, 7 g fat (1 g saturated), 0 mg cholesterol, 5 mg sodium, 2 g fiber.

by Anonymousreply 9210/29/2013

R92, that sounds absolutely disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 9310/29/2013

[quote]I'm not a huge fan of pumpkin beer

God me neither, I hate this time of year where every brewery has their pumpkin seasonal. It used to be only a few and now every damn craft brewery does one.

by Anonymousreply 9410/29/2013

Well then, we won't invite you, R93.

by Anonymousreply 9510/29/2013

I agree that R92's recipe sounds disgusting.

I don't like when pumpkin is supposed to be a "normal" (non-sweet) flavor, like pumpkin soup - who the fuck thought that would be a good idea?!?!?

Imo, pumpkin is for desserts and warm beverages, period.

by Anonymousreply 9610/29/2013

A few years ago Pepsi made a "holiday spice" flavored soda. It was godawful.

by Anonymousreply 9710/29/2013

Well OP, would you rather everything be boob flavored??? October is also Breast Cancer Awareness month you know....

by Anonymousreply 9810/29/2013

[quote]I'm not a huge fan of pumpkin beer

I picked up a pumpkin cider at Trader Joe's to try last week. Never again.

by Anonymousreply 9910/29/2013

I don't think the recipe sounds disgusting. I'm not saying I would like it, but I wouldn't reject it based on the posted recipe.

by Anonymousreply 10010/29/2013

Because Rutabaga Spice doesn't have the same cache as Pumpkin Spice.

by Anonymousreply 10110/29/2013

The recipe sounds okay, and i love pumpkin soup (which is no different from butternut squash soup).

[quote]I don't like when pumpkin is supposed to be a "normal" (non-sweet) flavor,

The word you are looking for is "savory," FYI.

by Anonymousreply 10210/29/2013

R96 Pumpkin really isn't much different from any of the other winter squashes (acorn, butternut, etc.) or even sweet potatoes. And you use them in savory dishes, so why not pumpkin? The Italians use it in ravioli (with a delicious brown buter and sage sauce.)

by Anonymousreply 10310/29/2013

lots of people must buy it or they wouldn't produce it. duh!

by Anonymousreply 10410/29/2013

This time of year produces two marketing disasters, both found in grocery stores: pumpkin-flavored everything and signs that say "Fall into Savings."

by Anonymousreply 10510/29/2013

I just finished baking two loaves of pumpkin bread from an Alton Brown recipe that uses raw shredded pumpkin (in lieu of canned pumpkin or cooked pumpkin purée.) I don't know how it tastes, but it made the entire house smell wonderful!

It used six cups of pumpkin (double recipe) and I still have a lot left (I had two large sugar pie pumpkins), so I think I'll make some more later this week and freeze it. Or maybe muffins!

by Anonymousreply 10611/03/2013

This is a pumpkin dessert for people who don't like pumpkin pie -- it's actually quite good.

by Anonymousreply 10711/03/2013

One day I was perusing the local paper and the local coffee shop had an add, "It's that time of year again. Our pumpkin coffee is back." My husband was going out and I said, "Bring me back some of their pumpkin coffees." He did and it tasted like ..... coffee. I said, "You got the wrong coffee." He said, "No, I asked for pumpkin and they filled the cup from the nozzle that said pumpkin."

So... It tasted like nothing.

The local restaurant has been making pumpkin beer for years, but I don't drink beer, so I don't know what it tastes like.

by Anonymousreply 10811/03/2013

Every pumpkin coffee I've had tastes like pumpkin pie spices (cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, ginger) and nothing like pumpkin itself.

by Anonymousreply 10911/03/2013

R107, dessert for people who don't like pumpkin pie is made with chocolate, fruit, or caramel, not a can of pumpkin goop and a box of cake mix.

by Anonymousreply 11011/03/2013

Got my new Trader Joe's Fearless Flyer, and at least HALF the items are pumpkin-related, including (and this may carry over to more posts):

Pumpkin Bagels

Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins

Pumpkin Spice Chai Latte

Pumpkin Spiced Coffee

Pumpkin Cream Cheese

Ginger Pumpkin Mini Mouthfuls

Mini Pumpkin Pies

Pumpkin Bread Pudding

Pumpkin Cheesecake

Pumpkin Croissants

Pumpkin Ice Cream

Pumpkin Macarons

Pumpkin Pie Mochi Ice Cream

Pumpkin Waffles

Gluten-Free Pumpkin Pancake Mix

Joe's Pumpkin-O's

Organic Pumpkin

Organic Pumpkin Toaster Pastries

Pecan Pumpkin Oatmeal

Pumpkin Bar Baking Mix

Pumpkin Butter

Pumpkin Cornbread Mix

Pumpkin Cranberry Scone Mix

Pumpkin Pancake Mix

Pumpkin Pie Spice

Pumpkin Soup

Toasted Pumpkin Seed Oil

This Pumpkin Walks Into a Bar

Cut Sugar Pumpkin

Mini Decorative Pumpkins

Orange Pumpkins

Non-fat Greek Pumpkin Yogurt

Pumpkin Rolls w/Icing

Chocolate Salted Pumpkin Caramels

Pumpkin Cranberry Pita Crisps

Pumpkin Biscotti

Pumpkin Brittle

Pumpkin Cranberry Crisps

Pumpkin Croutons

Pumpkin Joe Joe's

Pumpkin Scone Cookies

Pumpkin Spiced Pumpkin Seeds

Pumpkin Body Butter

KBC Pumpkin Ale

by Anonymousreply 11110/17/2014

It is vulgar and speaks directly to the childishness of American adults.

by Anonymousreply 11210/17/2014

Childish? Hardly. Its a very successful marketing campaign.

by Anonymousreply 11310/17/2014

Does anyone actually make anything with real pumpkins? You know, from the fields.

by Anonymousreply 11410/17/2014

I could not vote. Pumpkin pie is gross, too.

by Anonymousreply 11510/17/2014

The price tag on pumpkin flavored beer is laughable. Capitalism at it's most raw. $44 for a case of pumpkin spice rare ale? Yeah, enjoy that and pretend you're not just being a hipster.

by Anonymousreply 11610/17/2014

"...the study in question – conducted by the Smell and Taste Research Foundation in Chicago – discovered only that ‘in those with a normal olfactory ability, a variety of odours can increase penile blood-flow’. These odours included pumpkin pie, liquorice, doughnuts and lavender, and various combinations of these, as well as oriental spice and cola. The most effective were a lavender/ pumpkin pie mixture, a doughnut/ black liquorice mixture and a pumpkin pie/doughnut mixture –"

by Anonymousreply 11710/18/2014

It's the evil pumpkin lobbyists!

by Anonymousreply 11810/18/2014

flag: [ww] [ff] [troll-dar] Because Rutabaga Spice doesn't have the same cache as Pumpkin Spice.

by: Anonymoustreply 101t10/29/2013 @ 10:27PM

Oh, dear. Perhaps you meant cachet?:

Cache vs. cachet A cache is (1) a hiding place used for storing provisions or valuables, or (2) a concealed collection of valuable things. The word also functions as a verb meaning to hide or store in a cache. Cachet refers to (1) a mark or indication of superior status, or (2) prestige. The word is is usually a mass noun (meaning it is treated as a quantity and can’t be pluralized), but it’s a count noun in some rarer senses.

It was the single largest cache of prehistoric watercraft ever discovered. [Wall Street Journal]

It might not have the cachet of Tuscany, but that may be why this region along the Adriatic is still able to offer wines at bargain deals. [Edmonton Journal]

After the bomber detonated his cache of explosives, two other militants stormed inside the hotel. [Scotsman]

Nordic crime fiction carries a more respectable cachet – justifiably or otherwise – than similar genre fiction produced in Britain or the US. [Independent]

The explosive detection dogs are the best way of detecting improvised explosive devices and Taliban weapons caches. [Canberra Times]

Beijing would love to wield the cachet that American culture commands, but experts say it can’t as long as its authoritarian leaders call the shots. [Los Angeles Times]

Share this: 233 Like this:

by Anonymousreply 11910/18/2014

R119, I feel really, really sorry for you. Do you know where your life went wrong?

by Anonymousreply 12010/18/2014

True, r1, which is why one can make a tasty sweet potato pie, too---it's the spices.

by Anonymousreply 12110/18/2014

Pumpkins are not 100% sugar like everything pumpkin flavored.

by Anonymousreply 12210/18/2014

Trader Joe's turns into pumpkin central this time of year, and all the yuppie parents go cray cray.

It infuriates the shit out of me.

by Anonymousreply 12310/18/2014

Very few things have any actual pumpkin in them. The rage is 'pumpkin spice' which is just spice, save when it is paired with pumpkin.

by Anonymousreply 12410/18/2014

When I worked at Dalton's Books on 5th Av many years ago there was a candy/icecream store in the 666 arcade. It was there that I discovered pumpkin ice cream when they would have it at Thanksgiving time. It was so delicious I haven't had any that good since. And their old fashioned vanilla malted milks were to die for.

by Anonymousreply 12510/18/2014

All of the pumpkins grown in the fields in America -- are they all for halloween decoration or are any of them actually grown for food?

by Anonymousreply 12610/18/2014

Pfft. If we don't have pumpkin patches, then how does the Great Pumpkin come to town?!?

Checkmate, pumpkin skeptic!

by Anonymousreply 12710/18/2014

r126 Pumpkins grown for carving don't taste great but we've always eaten the seeds from them, they do grow smaller pumpkins for eating.

by Anonymousreply 12810/18/2014

Pumpkin is fall's candy cane. Back in the '70s I recall my mother buying apple and pumpkin ice creams that were seasonal in the fall. That was the only thing that was flavored for a season.

Good thing there isn't a particular flavor associated with Easter.

by Anonymousreply 12910/18/2014

I think all the pumpkin FLAVORED stuff is stupid, for sure. However, I don't include pumpkin bread in that category, not because I like it (although I do if it's made well) but because it isn't really part of the trend. People have been making it at home for ages. It's like banana bread or zucchini bread. People make those partly because they have too much zucchini or over-ripe bananas, maybe the same thing happens if you grow pumpkins?

by Anonymousreply 13010/18/2014

Because the kale food-fad is sooooo last year

by Anonymousreply 13110/18/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!