Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

SNL women

are Tina Fey and Amy Poehler the only women who had careers post SNL?

who else?

by Anonymousreply 4810/30/2013

Jane Curtin, Julia Louis Dreyfus, Joan Cusack, Christine Ebersole...

by Anonymousreply 110/28/2013

but not Danitra Vance.

by Anonymousreply 210/28/2013

Most male or female performers can't leverage the gig into a solid career because of their background. The show pulls talent from improv. That doesn't translate to comedic actor or writer.

The exception is when a stand-up comedian is hired.

by Anonymousreply 310/28/2013

Kristen Wiig

by Anonymousreply 410/28/2013

[all posts by tedious, racist idiot removed.]

by Anonymousreply 510/28/2013

Ellen Cleghorn was mentioned on Family Guy...

by Anonymousreply 610/28/2013

This is something I noticed a long time ago. The men can go on to super stardom and get to be in big budget films, while the few women who have a career after the show are confined mostly to television. I think its wrong because for the most part, it was the female cast members who I thought were often the funniest.

by Anonymousreply 710/28/2013

I wish Jan Hooks and Cheri Oteri had had bigger careers. They were hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 810/28/2013

R1 has it. They're about it, and the last three's short SNL stays are largely forgotten.

Lorne Michaels is both racist and chauvinistic. It's plainly obvious.

by Anonymousreply 910/28/2013

R8 I agree! Jan Hooks did show up once in a while on 30 Rock playing Jenna's mother and she was hiiiiiilarious. Sadly, I can think of nothing else she has done recently. I also loved Oteri. Its disgusting that she has pretty much vanished while Will Farrell is still allowed to litter the landscape with those turds he calls "movies".

by Anonymousreply 1010/28/2013

Maya Rudolf has an interesting career. She's not Fey or Amy, but she works regularly when she's not pregnant.

by Anonymousreply 1110/28/2013

Lorne did a Q&A with Marty Short and this topic came up.

Lorne said (paraphrasing) great women -- like Gilda and one other (Jane? Jan? Kristen?) -- never thought of SNL as a Boy's Club.

by Anonymousreply 1210/28/2013

I was actually thinking about this, wondering why Laraine Newman never had a bigger career.

by Anonymousreply 1310/28/2013

Sarah Silverman.

by Anonymousreply 1410/28/2013

The fabulous and rotund Denny Dillon can be seen in many a Holiday Inn lounges from Des Moines to Terre Haut.

by Anonymousreply 1510/28/2013

Victoria Jackson!! GOD WARRIOR>

by Anonymousreply 1610/28/2013

by Anonymousreply 1710/28/2013

Janeane Garofalo. Molly Shannon has also gotten work consistently.

by Anonymousreply 1810/28/2013

Jan Hooks provided some of the more humorous moments in the final two seasons of Designing Women. She played Carlene Dobber, Charlene’s cousin from Poplar Bluff who was even more naïve and backwoods that Charlene! She actually left SNL after being offered the role of Carlene by DW creator/producer Linda Bloodworth-Thomason.

She also appeared in 16 episodes of 3rd Rock From the Sun between 1996-2000 and in multiple episodes of The Simpsons over the years (as the voice of Apu’s wife, Manjula).

She is a hilarious actress (and a total sweetheart in person) who is deserving of a more distinguished career, IMO.

Nora Dunn, who I always associate with Jan Hooks since they often were in the same skits (Sweeney Sisters), has had limited success since SNL.

She played a recurring role in the show ‘Sisters’ as well as the ‘The Nanny’. She also had a recurring role in ‘Entourage’ and regularly pops up on shows such as ‘Criminal Minds’, ‘Franklin & Bash’, ‘Numb3rs’ and other relatively successful shows.

by Anonymousreply 1910/28/2013

Not quite what the OP probably meant by a "career" but I'm reading Julia Sweeney's ("Pat") book on adopting a child "If It's Not One Thing, It's Your Mother" which is pretty good. Her previous ones on cancer and (organized) religion were good, too.

by Anonymousreply 2010/28/2013

How were Joan Cusack and Christine Ebersole on SNL? Weird they were both let go after one season.

(Larainne Newman is a nasty piece of work BTW, no wonder she rarely works.)

by Anonymousreply 2110/28/2013

Lorne danced with Kristen Wiig during the sappy end credits of her last SNL appearance as a cast member. Maybe that's who he meant.

He should thank his lucky stars for several women who kept SNL alive during some awful seasons.

by Anonymousreply 2210/28/2013

R20 Julia Sweeney's one-woman show "Letting Go of God" was so good I saw it twice.

by Anonymousreply 2310/28/2013

That was the one I meant by "organized Religion" R23.

by Anonymousreply 2410/28/2013

Jan Hooks is the shit, the fucking cats ass. She was hilarious on 30 Rock.

by Anonymousreply 2510/28/2013

Julia Louis Dreyfus (or however you spell her name) not only lasted two seasons, she met her husband on the show.

by Anonymousreply 2610/28/2013

by Anonymousreply 2710/28/2013

R26, Julia and Brad Hall went to Northwestern together before snl.

by Anonymousreply 2810/28/2013

I loved Maya Rudolph as Donatella. She's done alright since leaving SNL.

by Anonymousreply 2910/28/2013

I think Julia Louis Dreyfuss was on SNL 3 years. They fired Brad Hall but kept her. Just to fuck with their minds I bet...

by Anonymousreply 3010/28/2013

[quote]The show pulls talent from improv. That doesn't translate to comedic actor or writer.

how come?

by Anonymousreply 3110/29/2013

[quote]How were Joan Cusack and Christine Ebersole on SNL? Weird they were both let go after one season.

Joan Cusack was just sort of there, not bad but no breakout characters. Christine Ebersole got to break out the Broadway singing voice on occasion.

Garafalo was well known before SNL; she got the gig because she was already an established comic actor and standup. She famously hated being on SNL once she got a whiff of the culture there and didn't need the aggravation.

by Anonymousreply 3210/29/2013

Jan Hooks is ill, which is why she doesn't work more. Not multiple sclerosis, but something like that.

Cheri Oteri is rumored to be mentally ill.

(Yes, this posts was just full of facts supported by citations, I know. I'm just repeating what I remember reading.)

by Anonymousreply 3310/29/2013

SCTV and even Mad TV were much less willing to let their shows be dominated by men. SCTV only had two women (not counting Robin Duke) but damned if they weren't powerhouses.

by Anonymousreply 3410/29/2013

Mary Gross has done a lot of movies and TV since SNL. She is the sister of Michael Gross, the dad on Family Ties.

by Anonymousreply 3510/29/2013

Julia Sweeney was never a versatile performer, but she's a good writer and monologuist. Her one-woman shows and books have all been quite good.

She lives in some town outside Chicago now and seems perfectly well balanced and content.

Rachel Dratch's book was also good. I wish she worked more -- she was one of the most underrated performers on the show in recent years.

by Anonymousreply 3610/29/2013

Remember my co-starring role in the major motion picture Casual Sex?

(also...God Hates Fags!)

by Anonymousreply 3710/29/2013

R21 - What do you know about Larainne? I thought she was the least talented of the original.

R25 - I love Jan Hooks. I thought she and Phil Hartman worked well together.

by Anonymousreply 3810/29/2013

If you think of the number of male cast members on the show over the years, the ones who have broken out as Hollywood stars is still pretty small. For every Will Ferrell or Mike Myers there are a dozen Chris Kattans and Dana Carveys.

by Anonymousreply 3910/29/2013

Larainne Newman actually works a lot doing voice work for cartoons.

by Anonymousreply 4010/29/2013

Molly Shannon is an incredible actress and showed this on Enlightened on HBO last year. She must have good rapport with Mike White because she was also great in his Year of The Dog movie.

by Anonymousreply 4110/29/2013

I was wondering why nobody had mentioned Molly Shannon. I'm still annoyed about Enlightened getting cancelled. She had a bit part on Hannibal and seems to work pretty steadily.

by Anonymousreply 4210/29/2013

"SCTV and even Mad TV were much less willing to let their shows be dominated by men. SCTV only had two women (not counting Robin Duke) but damned if they weren't powerhouses."

Debra Wilson from Mad TV was hilarious. She's another one who should have been a bigger star. Her Oprah and Whitney impressions were a riot.

by Anonymousreply 4310/29/2013

Apparently Debra Wilson shaved her head and devotes her time to animals. I hope she's not going through a "Dusty Springfield in the 70s" situation.

by Anonymousreply 4410/29/2013

According to one of the early books on SNL, Jane Curtain was quickly labeled " a bitch" when she tried to stand up for herself or to complain about much of the sexist content of the sketches. Gilda Radner and Laraine Newman didn't not want to be labeled as such.

Belushi, Chase, Ackroyd, etc., ran roughshod over just about everyone involved with SNL except for Michaels

by Anonymousreply 4510/29/2013

[quote]What do you know about Larainne? I thought she was the least talented of the original.

She used to terrify me at a Blockbuster Video I worked at as a teen. She was just so mean and dismissive. Always ready for a fight about what was and wasn't in stock. I remember my brother telling me to say something like you are the only one who never amounted to anything, why are you so haughty?

by Anonymousreply 4610/29/2013

[quote]regional theatre career

It is spelled theater.

by Anonymousreply 4710/30/2013

no smartass at r47...either way is acceptable--- see Manhattan Theatre Club, The National Theatre of Great Britain, the Roundabout Theatre etc

by Anonymousreply 4810/30/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!