Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What were the early 80s like emotionally?

It was bad financial times then too...was it as depressing as it is now?

by Anonymousreply 8910/30/2013

If you were white, straight, and wealthy, it was the best of times.

by Anonymousreply 210/27/2013

I was about 6 in1980, and apparently I sulked and pouted a lot, OP.

by Anonymousreply 310/27/2013

Well if you were middle-aged an unemployed I suppose you might have been depressed. But most people who were young then will tell you it was positively blissful - exciting and idealistic cultural things happening, the newness of the New Wave influence, exquisite romantic music on the radio, fun fashions. etc.

I'm guessing you must be under 40 or you would know how nostalgic most people who were young then are for that time.

by Anonymousreply 410/27/2013

I was in high school from 1979-83, so the early '80s were awesome for me. Lots of beer, rock 'n' roll, pot and hot studs in the backseat of my Mustang. I remember hearing my dad bitch about the recession and shit, but I was having the time of my life.

by Anonymousreply 510/27/2013

I thought they were great. You didn't have to have a lot of money to get by. Even people with minimum wage jobs could afford their rent and a car payment

by Anonymousreply 610/27/2013

I meant in regards to the economy.

by Anonymousreply 710/27/2013

I graduated from college in 1982 and moved to Boston from a small town in the midwest. There was an economic recession in progress. I got very lucky and landed a job.

It was exciting to finally be able to explore the gay life, but working full time was hard to get used to.

That was the biggest adjustment I've made in my life.

by Anonymousreply 810/27/2013

[all posts by tedious, racist idiot removed.]

by Anonymousreply 1110/27/2013

I was in my early twenties and the early '80s were the time of my life. I had my own apartment and car and was enjoying freedom for the first time. I had a job, making barely above minimum wage, but I was able to party every night and hit the clubs 2 or 3 nights a week.

I loved the music and movies of the era and I made several friends who are still close friends today. I was fortunate that I did not know too many people who died from the plague. I lived in Texas and AIDS hit here a little later than it did on the East and West Coasts. By the time it did really hit here I was taking precautions.

I really loved the 1980s. I remember making very little money but always being able to go out and have fun. I went to the movies all the time, went clubbing, to tons of rock concerts. Now I make decent money but I am on a tight budget and I rarely leave the house, except to go to work.

by Anonymousreply 1210/27/2013

[quote]Now I make decent money but I am on a tight budget and I rarely leave the house, except to go to work.

Are you saving a lot of money?

by Anonymousreply 1310/27/2013

i was too young to be affected by the recession, but ronnie and maggie set a political pall over things (we also believed that nuclear war was inevitable at some point). there was also the shadow of AIDS having over gay men (which made me scared to have sex until well into my 20's), but all these things also contributed to "a party on the lifeboat" mentality, and we literally had fun every day as if it might be our last.

in so many ways, it was such a simple and fun time- us kids sewed our own clothes and put together outfits out of thrift store rags. our real expenses were hairspray and cigarettes (everyone still smoked). clubs would let the cool kids in for free and then charge the wannabe douchebags at teh door.. and most of us cool kids made an art form out of scoring coke off those same wannabe douchebags, who were merely out slumming; whereas for us, that was our lives. we lived in the same seedy neighborhoods our clubs were in: alphabet city in NYC, downtown LA, and SOMA in SF. all scary, dangerous places back then which is hard to imagine today as they are all so gentrified.

there was no internet, so you couldn't find out what was cool with a mouse click, you actually to know hip people to find out what was the happening club du jour or what kids were wearing. if you weren't in the loop, your only hope was watching MTV for the fashions, but you'd never find the cool club- NEVER- so it created a unique bond amongst the kids, made us feel it was like us against the world (the gogo's "this town" is a pretty good rendition of that feeling).

i loved every bighaired minute of it, but i supposed we ALL love our youths

by Anonymousreply 1410/28/2013

We were all going to die due to mutually assured destruction or nuclear fall-out. Or we'd work for the Japanese. The US was no longer a super power and we had to outbuild the Soviets.

Every venue and store was geared towards 30-somethings. I'd pass fern bars and discotheques that would close and reopen under different names. It seemed adults did nothing but recover from the night before. Everyone bragged about not getting enough sleep.

Suburbia was viewed as safe and clean. Cities were poor, filthy, and dangerous.

Most of my schools, parks, and libraries seemed huge and vacant. They were built to handle boomers and we used the leftovers.

by Anonymousreply 1510/28/2013

Actually older people did very well at the time. Elderly incomes rose well above inflation. It was the age group 18-24 that bore the brunt of the economic dislocations, showing a 25% drop in real per capita income. However, since they were young many could stay in school.

by Anonymousreply 1810/28/2013

The 80s is one of the most missed decades (the most nostalgia).

by Anonymousreply 1910/28/2013

Then as now, every single person was Not in the same mood for an entire decade.

by Anonymousreply 2010/28/2013

I was an adolescent and I recall being terrified that if Ronald Reagan was elected president we'd all die in a nuclear war. Around 1983 when I began to realize I was gay, AIDS hit and the horrible jokes began. It wasn't a happy time for me but there were others who had it a lot worse.

by Anonymousreply 2110/28/2013

[quote]The 80s is one of the most missed decades (the most nostalgia).

It used to be the 50s, then the 60s. Although the 70s has seen fashion and music revivals, you rarely hear people pining for it as "the good old days".

Anyway, I think nostalgia depends on that decade's adolescents reaching middle age. Gen x now fully middle aged, so we're all pining for dayglo fashions and synth pop.

The 80s were pretty distinct visually, and they had a far greater influence on popular music than the decades before or since. Fun times. (Except the AIDS part)

by Anonymousreply 2210/28/2013

I was a kid - in elementary school and junior high. I remember being afraid we'd be nuked, or that Russians would parachute on to our school lawn ala Red Dawn.

But god the music was great, I remember adults being cool and fun, and me and my mom shopping all the time on weekends. Things were so much cheaper then, too.

Every day seemed like an adventure. I loved it

by Anonymousreply 2310/28/2013

Nonsense R24. Not worse at all. Better. There was hope then. Not so much today.

by Anonymousreply 2510/28/2013

There were jobs. Manufacturing still existed. Music was good (all with accompanying MTV videos). Technology was emerging. TV was entertaining.

Everyone was young.

by Anonymousreply 2610/28/2013

Not as satisfying as the '70s.

by Anonymousreply 2710/28/2013

R21 is right. There was an undercurrent of fear about nuclear war. Just about 30 years ago, the TV miniseries The Day After aired. It was about the aftermath of a nuclear attack.

by Anonymousreply 2810/29/2013

Let's just say I wouldn't trade being a child in the 80s era for being one of my generation bridged that gap between the analog and digital world and I'm grateful for the point of view to see the benefits and detriments of both.

by Anonymousreply 2910/29/2013

There was definitely a sense of adventure. When I was 7yo my friends and I could go trick or treating all over town well after dark and even walk through the cemetery and we or our parents never felt any fear(except for ghosts and zombies) or threat...of course we lived in a smaller town so that may have been different for urban kids. We had a small,one screen local theater that would play scary movies and my brother and I would walk or ride our bikes(no helmets)downtown and back at night all the time. It's not like my parents weren't there and couldn't be bothered...we just didn't feel the need to be so "safe" all the time. It was a lot of fun.

by Anonymousreply 3010/29/2013

The eighties were FAKE.

Everybody carried on like the world was at their feet and good times were here to stay; "Morning in America" and all that. But the country was getting deeper and deeper into debt and nobody gave a damn about anything except money. Pure greed. Pure escapist fantasy.

The eighties was the most superficial, trivial, worthless decade of all time. I think people who remember it fondly were caught up in that delusion that everything was hunky dory and would always be that way.

Like I said: fake.

by Anonymousreply 3110/29/2013

R31, Yes, but the illusion of "hunky dory" is a helluva lot better than the "grim reality" felt today. I'll use my illusion any day over a hopeless reality. I lived and loved the '80s. I'm not just looking at the past through rose colored glasses either. I had fun. I may have been "fooling myself" that everything was "hunky dory" but who the fuck cares? I wish I could do that today.

by Anonymousreply 3210/29/2013

Dancing was considered uncool, kids would just stand sulking in a corner, gazing at their shoes while plucking at their fringes...

by Anonymousreply 3310/29/2013

For some perhaps, R31, well....of course for some. But for a lot of us we were kids with decent parents and growing up in that decade was an AWESOME time to have a childhood. It was really the best of everything.

by Anonymousreply 3410/29/2013

R16, you are right.

by Anonymousreply 3510/29/2013

R31 - A lot of people, even teens like me, saw through "Morning in America".

by Anonymousreply 3610/29/2013

I don't think you can be a 10yo and "fool yourself".

For a kid...the 80s were FANTASTIC!

Ask kids now if they they think the 2000s were great.

by Anonymousreply 3710/29/2013

A lot of people hated the "Yuppies" - people obsessed with money. The beginning of the gross world (and shameless inequality) that we have today.

Only thing good about it was some of the "alternative" music and I think nightclubs and bars were better

yes, threat of nuclear war in the background - AIDS - unemployment - Reagan

by Anonymousreply 3810/29/2013

Stupid yet provocative.

by Anonymousreply 3910/29/2013

The early 80's were great! So much fucking fun and great music. Interesting fashion and art scene. It was really one of the last interesting times in America. However, a lot of people say that when they are in High School and College. The early 90's were kind of cool too but not as cool as the 80's. I don't remember the economy, my dad was a cheapskate and lived like every day the whole thing could collapse. He was Irish and born in the depression so go figure right?

And it gave us Madge. Cue heads exploding!!

by Anonymousreply 4010/29/2013

I entered the '80s at age 15. The '80s ended when I was 24. In that age bracket, I could not have given a royal shit about Reagan, Thatcher, the Soviet Union, Iran-Contra, or any of that shit. I was living it up and having the time of my young gay life (with precautions).

I had great friends (most of whom I am still close to), I loved the movies (Empire Strikes Back, Airplane!, Raiders Of The Lost Ark, Superman II, Blade Runner, Star Trek II, Return of The Jedi, Terminator, Aliens and hundreds more), music, (not so much the network TV, but I had a VCR so I could watch what I wanted when I wanted).

I lived in dance clubs and saw some of the best concerts of groups in their prime: Metallica, Iron Maiden, AC/DC, Judas Priest, U2, Scorpions, Van Halen, Queen, Rush, Go-Go's, Devo, B-52's, Kiss, Anthrax, Dio, New Order, Depeche Mode, The Cure, Rolling Stones, Krokus, Motorhead, Dokken, Motley Crue, Joan Jett & The Blackhearts, Police, Queensryche, Styx, Journey, Madonna, Prince & The Revolution, The Church, INXS, Deep Purple, ZZ Top, Tom Petty, Pink Floyd... the list goes on and on. Concert tickets were between $9.00 and $14.50).

I had a great time and I love that I spent my youth then. I loved the clothing (at least in the first half of the decade). There were worries, such as AIDS, but I took precautions, as did my friends, and we're all still here and HIV negative. I lost one friend to AIDS. He was, admittedly, careless and lost his life in 1992.

Like I said, I was having too much fun to let Reagan get me down. He was barely a blip on my radar then. I wish I could keep myself as clueless about current events now as I did back then.

by Anonymousreply 4110/29/2013

I moved back to Manhattan in '83. It was a lot of things at once. You could afford to live here and work in a restaurant until you figured things out. There was a great night life. Interesting people on the street. I was in my early 20's and it was a great time to be young and beautiful and a gay man. The AIDS crisis was very real and very depressing. You watched friends waste away and die. You took care of them as much as you could and went to many memorials. I did have survivor guilt. I was having sex all over the place. I was mainly a top and did use condoms. The art scene was incredible. The music, fashion, style was like never before. I loved being here. I'm still here, but it is so much different now. Money rules and art is pushed out. NYC has changed so much in 30 years. I am grateful I was able to experience the '80's and most of the '90's. I feel ready to go.. Cheers!

by Anonymousreply 4210/29/2013

Fast Times at Ridgemont High captures the early 80s fairly well. Quite a few girls wanted to be Pat Benetar.

by Anonymousreply 4310/29/2013

The only reason '80s nostalgia is "in" right now is because all of the teenagers/young adults who came of age during that decade are "in charge now" so to speak. Give it another 10 years or less and people will be pining for the good 'ol '90s.

FWIW, I don't find anything about the '80s appealing. Bad fashion. Bad hair. Cheesy films. Give me the '60s or '70s any day before the mean, nasty '80s.

And the people who think the '00s and '10s are "grim" and "awful" - guess what? The youth of today LOVE this decade and are having a blast because, well, they're YOUNG and they're out having fun. And when they grow up they'll be remembering the '10s as some great, carefree, innovative time.

by Anonymousreply 4410/29/2013

Now instead of "sulking" in a corner...they "fuck" instead.

by Anonymousreply 4510/29/2013

I was born at the end of the Eighties but I watch old movies and guys looked so AMAZING back then. I watch '80s movies and wish guys still looked like some of the guys in those old movies. Damn. I want a time machine to go back and get some Tom Selleck, Mark Harmon, Pre-Psycho Mel Gibson, Rob Lowe, Tom Cruise (before he went over the deep end), and fucking DON JOHNSON.

Even the guys in some of those cheap old horror movies were fucking sex on a stick. Those tight jeans and t-shirts. You could actually tell when a guy had a nice ass. It was hidden under baggies.

by Anonymousreply 4610/29/2013

The start of the eighties in San Francisco was so fun. Many of us were slackers who really didn't work too much. San Francisco was a place you could share a flat and pay 80 dollars a month rent. Then the dying came and that was the worst. Now, the magic is gone I think. The place is so expensive and the only people who can afford it are working in tech. Not the most interesting people to be around.

by Anonymousreply 4710/29/2013

I was living wild and crazy in San Francisco in 1980 and 81. It was the best time of my life. Life was a party 24-7. Actually, my party-hearty lifestyle saved my life. I accidentally O.D.'ed on coke and alcohol one night in April of '81 and my parents breezed into town and whisked me back to Kansas City upon checking out of the hospital.

The next thing I knew, I was getting letters from friends about all the deaths of friends. I was HIV negative, so far away, and felt so helpless. I never did return to San Francisco until last year. R47 couldn't be more correct. It is NOT the same place anymore. When I left the Castro in '81, it was Gay Party Town U.S.A. - now you rarely see anything "gay" about it. It's all techy shit and very "respectable." It almost makes me believe the stories about the Govt. inflicting AIDS in certain communities to "clean them up."

A totally different place now. Very depressing. I loved those first 16 months of the '80s there though. Long live our memories.

by Anonymousreply 4810/29/2013

I turned 30 in 1982. I was in love with everything -- my BF, my job, California, music from groups like Romeo Void and The Cars. It was a new beginning for me, after a relationship of seven years ended.

I was offered a good job with a PR firm in LA but turned it down to move to SF after the next BF and I broke up after 3 years. The breakup was one of those particularly wrenching affairs. Suffice it to say "Total Eclipse of the Heart" accompanied me on the car stereo up I5 to SF. Dreary.

But then...a new job, a new city, new guy, dreams coming true and then, KAPOW, something called AIDS.

And we all went into freefall.

The exes and I all made it through, along with a few long-term friends, but you should take a look at us now! Ha. Thirty years later. A bunch of sea hags on a rock.

I'd lived in SF for a short time in '78. The song playing at the I Beam was "I Will Survive" by Gloria Gaynor. The song playing seven years later was "Don't You (Forget About Me) by Simple Minds." It was a wild, sad time.

by Anonymousreply 4910/29/2013

R49 I was listening to Romeo Void in that time period too. Great band who never really made it big.

by Anonymousreply 5010/29/2013

I might like you better if we slept together.

by Anonymousreply 5110/29/2013

Never say never.

by Anonymousreply 5210/29/2013

Yeah, Romeo Void. Poor Debora Iyall. I was at one of her last appearances. Someone threw a box of Dunkin Donuts at her. The white dust from the confectioners sugar was all over her black tutu. She ran offstage crying. The next thing I know she popped up on some MTV thing where she's stringing beads in the desert.

by Anonymousreply 5310/29/2013

I graduated from a small town Texas high school in May of 1983. 1980-1983 were a blast. Friends, MTV, parties at the lake, dances, football games. Just fun. I came out of the closet at 14 and I dated several guys between '79 and '83 and I was very sexually active with them and having the time of my life. My friends were a mixture of straight and gay guys and a couple of girls.

A couple of months before I graduated I heard a report on the evening news about AIDS. Then a few weeks later there was that infamous Newsweek cover, emblazoned with the word "AIDS". Life seemed forever changed the moment I saw it, or at least in the months that followed.

Until AIDS reared its ugly head, it seemed like homophobia was becoming a thing of the past. With the dawning of AIDS, even some of the people I thought were the most liberal and open-minded were making those horrible AIDS jokes (Q: "What do you call a faggot in a wheelchair? A: "Rol-AIDS") that would make the entire student union building in college that fall erupt in laughter.

Overnight, those horrible jokes and the worst homophobia I have seen in my life came roaring to the surface. Any guy perceived to be gay was rumored to have AIDS (especially if one had a cold or coughing). All of a sudden my straight friends wanted nothing to do with me. I went from being a "really cool guy" to being "A cool guy, but what if he has AIDS? I don't want that shit."). It was very emotional.

In mid-1984, one of my college friends became ill. Yes, it was AIDS. He was the sweetest, cutest, funniest guy on Earth. He was dead in no time flat. From then on, I lost at least one friend a year. By the early '90s, it was several a year. I had many good times in the '80s and made some great memories, but AIDS took many of us. I made it out alive and am still HIV-negative. I look back with bittersweet memories.

by Anonymousreply 5410/29/2013

I turned 18 and moved to San Francisco to go to college in 1980 with fake ID. The bars and dance clubs were fun but scary.

Nuclear war with the Soviets, earth tones, corduroy, and Reagan were the biggest fears.

I did not discover the wonders of my prostate and being fucked until the AIDS era, when we knew to use condoms. I survived. Many of my friends did not. I ended up in the field of Biotechnology.

The economy was depressed, but I had a job. Today's economy is more hopeless now. The Repugs got their agenda done.

As I recall, the 1980's were mostly depressing. The music was great. The electronic sounds of New Wave smashed the maudlin 70's. Just die, already, John Denver and The Waltons. And they did.

I wore black, white, purple, and turquoise, and I looked great. Skinny ties. Black motorcycle boots and a leather jacket. Had tons of sex with strangers, bosses, and coworkers, but rarely did anal. That's the only reason why I'm alive today. I wore earrings and as a hair model, I always had trendy, inexcusable, geometric haircuts.

The 1980's emotionally were mechanical, electronic, and futuristic. MTV was a big thing, but I didn't own a TV. I was living inside of those videos as a participant of the times.

Am so happy now to be old and boring.

by Anonymousreply 5510/29/2013

Yes, the straighties were all terrified of us then. They thought we all had A.I.D.S. and they went to great lengths to avoid contact with us. I hung out with a few straight guys prior to the emergence of the plague and all but one of them ditched my ass P.D.Q. when A.I.D.S. hit. They were just as scared of it as we were. They could avoid it by avoiding us. We were stuck to face it alone. One of my straight pals stuck around and he's still one of my closest friends to this day.

Very emotional times.

R.I.P. Friends - Greg J. (1964-1987), David (1963-1989), Eric (1962-1985), Kevin (1965-1990), Richard (1959-1986), Lance (1964-1986), Tommy (1964-1987), Greg M. (1963-1989), Aaron (1961-1991), Daniel (1965-1996), Evan (1963-1987), Roger (1966-1991), Todd (1965-1991), Sam (1967-1994).

by Anonymousreply 5610/29/2013

Very sad, R54. If you don't mind my asking, whereabouts in Texas were you living? Maybe I'm being the ignorant one, but I never would have imagined a small-town Texas town being so accepting of gay people (pre-AIDS '80s).

I don't want to de-rail the topic of the thread, so I might make a separate thread about pre-AIDS attitudes about gays (early '80s).

by Anonymousreply 5710/29/2013

R55 - Wasn't the drinking age 18 in CA then?

by Anonymousreply 5810/29/2013

R54, do you mind saying which town? Just curious - small east TX town here too

by Anonymousreply 5910/29/2013

R57 It was a small Hill Country town, not too far from Austin. A few of the kids were bigoted and homophobic but most kids didn't care if I was gay, as long as they knew I was a good person.

After AIDS hit, many of them distanced themselves from me (as well as the other gay guys they were friends with), even though I did not have AIDS. They were ignorant and scared.

I can remember going to visit my parents after my first year of college and having a few of the straights that I had partied with actually avoiding and ignoring me. I guess I had "Cooties." It was hurtful, but I moved on. I had enough gay friends to keep me happy.

by Anonymousreply 6010/29/2013

I spent the early '80s hiding in fear under my bed, wrapped in blankets, shaking and praying for God to deliver me to 1990 in one piece. I was terrified of Reagan, Nuclear War, Boy George, Michael Jackson, Heavy Metal, Ewoks, Members Only Jackets, Valley Girls, Thatcher, Gorbachev, AIDS, Herpes, Satan in Rock, Angel Dust, Cocaine, Rubik's Cubes, E.T., and Pac-Man.

Just kidding. I was living the hell out of life back then. I was partying like it was 1999, even before Prince recorded that song in '82. I had a blast and wouldn't change one god damn thing.

by Anonymousreply 6110/29/2013

I was young and didn't give a shit about the economy or politics. Ignorance was bliss! I was TERRIFIED of AIDS. It came, seemingly, out of nowhere and was killing my friends and acquaintances. I was mortified at the thought of contracting it and dying so horribly and painfully as I had seen my friends go.

I was never very promiscuous but I really became cautious and VERY selective. Hell, I would not have sex with most guys... even if they WERE "spongeworthy." I tested regularly and expected the same of my few partners. I even gave blowjobs and received with rubbers and I cut anal out altogether (a practice I have never resumed). I was determined to NEVER catch that shit. Knock on wood, I'm 49 and still HIV negative, happy and healthy.

I had many great times but it was a scary era. People under 30 could never imagine it (thankfully, for them). I lost so many dear friends. Some were sweet and funny, some were gossips and negative nellies, some were two-faced, some were outright dicks at times, but they were my friends, and they are gone. I miss them dearly. The main emotions I remember from the '80s...FEAR and LOSS.

by Anonymousreply 6210/29/2013

Magnum, P.I.

Miami Vice

WKRP In Cincinnati

Night Flight (on USA Network)

Hill Street Blues

Falcon Crest

The Jeffersons

Three's Company

Hart To Hart

The Love Boat

Remington Steele

Fantasy Island

by Anonymousreply 6310/29/2013

R64 What about Knot's Landing, bitch?!?!?!?

by Anonymousreply 6410/29/2013

Charles in Charge, motherfucker!!

by Anonymousreply 6510/29/2013

Uh, hello. Facts of Life, fuckface.

by Anonymousreply 6610/29/2013

I went from a fancy loony bin in Texas to law school and then on to actually practicing law. I left all that behind in about '91--so I was glad to see the 80s end.

Vile decade.

by Anonymousreply 6710/29/2013

"It was really the best of everything."

No, it wasn't. You just THOUGHT it was. And that's what most people did: think everything was wonderful and that it would stay that way. I don't know how people got brainwashed into thinking that (was Reagan THAT convincing?) but it was the pervading attitude back then. And boy, it was wrong. Was it EVER.

by Anonymousreply 6810/29/2013

"I was partying like it was 1999, even before Prince recorded that song in '82. I had a blast and wouldn't change one god damn thing."

You sound typical of the airheads of that era. I don't know, but it seemed like people were a lot more, well, STUPID back then.

by Anonymousreply 6910/29/2013

The thing I liked most in the 80s were the cheap rents.

by Anonymousreply 7010/29/2013

So, R70. What the fuck WERE we supposed to be doing at the ages of 19 or 20 in the '80s? Sitting in front of the TV in the throes of manic depression over world events that we had ABSOLUTELY NO CONTROL OVER. Should we have just screamed, "Fuck it all!" and taken a bottle of fucking pills? We were not stupid. We were young.

Should I have sat on the edge of my bed crying every night instead of going out with friends because Ronald Reagan was a terrible President? Jesus Christ! We only get ONE life. Why cry over things we can't control? I choose to live my life and be happy. I am neither stupid, nor un-informed.

If you spent the 1980s locked in your bathroom with a razor at your wrist, afraid to come out because of fear of Reagan's politics, then you must have been a fucking HOOT at family gatherings.

by Anonymousreply 7110/29/2013

The ONLY thing one needs to know about what made the 80s great emotionally.

by Anonymousreply 7210/29/2013

R73, He was quite the stallion. WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT THING HANGING DOWN HIS LEG UNDER THOSE JEANS? Good Lord. I almost fainted. LOL.

by Anonymousreply 7310/29/2013

Poster R70 sounds like a very bitter, angry and depressed person. I kind of feel sorry for him/her. I hope since the '80s were so unkind to him/her and the politics were so disgusting that he/she has found happiness in these much more exhilarating times... or has at least sought help for his/her depression.

by Anonymousreply 7410/29/2013

[quote] What were the early 80s like emotionally?

About like the late 70s, only with less energy and rather more incontinence.

by Anonymousreply 7510/29/2013

R69 R70 = bitter queens without MTV or hairspray

by Anonymousreply 7610/29/2013

It's more depressing now with the damned TSA confiscating water bottles than it was then.

by Anonymousreply 7710/29/2013

Olivia Newton-John, ELO, Donna Summer, AC/DC, Queen, Rush, Hall & Oates, Michael Jackson, Madonna, Culture Club, Duran Duran, Iron Maiden, The Rolling Stones, REO Speedwagon, Journey, ZZ Top, Ozzy Osbourne,Depeche Mode, U2, Adam & The Ants, Judas Priest, Van Halen, ABBA, Yes, Styx, Devo, Blondie, Gary Numan, Pretenders, The Cars, The Vapors, Thin Lizzy, The Police, The B-52's, Heart, The GoGos, Blue Oyster Cult, Air Supply, Bonnie Tyler, Rick James, Kool & The Gang, Motorhead, Def Leppard, Quiet Riot, Kiss, Motley Crue, The Motels, John Cougar, Survivor, Asia, A Flock Of Seagulls, Pat Benatar, Billy Squier, April Wine, Billy Idol, Naked Eyes, Psychedelic Furs, Scorpions, The Clash, Joan Jett & The Blackhearts, Toni Basil, Aldo Nova, Supertramp, Black Sabbath, Black Flag, Bruce Springsteen, Michael Schenker Group, David Bowie, Iggy Pop, Pink Floyd, The Ramones, Romantics, Triumph, Saxon, Krokus, The Jacksons, Earth Wind & Fire, Teena Marie, Kansas, Haircut 100, Ministry, Lords Of The New Church, Marshall Crenshaw, Cheap Trick, Human League, INXS, Dead Kennedys, Misfits, Circle Jerks, Rainbow, Sheena Easton, Lime, Metallica, Roxy Music, Romeo Void, The Flirts, Yaz (Yazoo), Sammy Hagar, The Kinks, R.E.M., Madness, Lene Lovich, Kajagoogoo...

by Anonymousreply 7810/29/2013

For me, filled with sadness, angst, and little hope for the future. I lived in a rotten small town with high unemployment.

by Anonymousreply 7910/29/2013

Yes. Now is sooo much better than the HORRID '80s. In the modern world of the last 13 years we have had such wonders of magnificence with:

The 9/11 Attacks

Weekly School Shootings (these were almost UNHEARD of in the '80s, now they are weekly events)

Government Shutdowns

Intense fighting between Republicans and Democrats. Extreme dirty politics.

Over a decade of WAR.

Modern celebs like Honey Boo-Boo, Real Housewives, The Kartrashians and Snooki covering the front pages of our newspapers while countless thousands are dying overseas in wars.

Google Spy barges parked off the East and West coasts of the U.S.

NSA spying on your emails and phone calls.

TSA strip-searching and anally probing you so you can get on a plane just to go visit your Aunt Jane in Syracuse.

Frequent outbreaks of food contamination.

...And you thought the '80s were bad? Brother, you must be a basket case NOW. True, the '80s had its problems. So, what? Live your life and enjoy it as much as possible. I did it then and I do it now. LIVE!

by Anonymousreply 8010/29/2013

[quote]I don't want to de-rail the topic of the thread, so I might make a separate thread about pre-AIDS attitudes about gays (early '80s).

Please do, R57 , I'll read it!

by Anonymousreply 8110/29/2013

I was in high school in the 80's. somehow, I remember being more bold and funky. After I graduated, '85, I was dirt poor but never worried about it. There was always a happy hour or cheap food we could afford. Or parents house for dinner. My parents or grandparents didn't seem to struggle much anymore. I grew up poor and frugal and I struggled big time after I graduated but I was used to it. I could live on a snicker bar and orange crush for lunch.

I miss my nerve, my inhibitions to express myself. My insecurity and search for me. Now that I've supposedly found myself, I wish I was the person I was in the 80's. Hindsight would have been nice too.

by Anonymousreply 8210/29/2013

I'm not reading this thread because I don't want to think about the cold, hard, loud, speed-freak 80s.

The 70s were infinitely better.

by Anonymousreply 8310/29/2013

r49, thank you for mentioning the I-Beam. I practically lived there every weekend until 1986. Do you remember how all the bars on Haight and in Cole Valley were Gay? Traxx, Deluxe, Bradley's Corner, and Maude's?

I went to school and worked at UCSF and lived with an older BF around the corner on Beulah St.. Crazy times. We were fag bashed in '84 and the cops just laughed.

by Anonymousreply 8410/29/2013

What was the seedy gay bar on Haight St. that Janis Joplin used to hang out at before she became famous?

by Anonymousreply 8510/29/2013

I just remembered the bar Janis hung out in. It was called Gus's Pub and it was on Haight. Anyone ever go there?

by Anonymousreply 8610/29/2013

Being a kid in the 80s was great. Back then there was still some innocence and you could actually just be a kid. We still trick or treated walked home alone from school and played outside. Great cartoons and toys. My favorite was Jiz...I mean Jem. I also loved Labyrinth.

by Anonymousreply 8710/30/2013

87-88 represent

by Anonymousreply 8810/30/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!