Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Life is short

I heard someone say this today.

This hasn't been my experience at all. I'm 50.

My Dad died recently and I thought God! 84 years. All the way back to 1930. He remembered the beginning and the end of World War 2- what a long life!

Anyway. Do you think 'Life is short'?

by Anonymousreply 5310/29/2013

Yes. Give yourself another 10 years, OP, until you get over that feeling of "I have many more years left."

by Anonymousreply 110/27/2013

By what you measure it I don't know, but times does fly by.

And the world is a very small place indeed. I am always amazed at the smae people I meet in the oddest places.

Or maybe, not so odd.

by Anonymousreply 210/27/2013

For some it is, for some it's not.

I'm in my mid 50s and lost most of my friends to AIDS in the 80s and 90s. Back then life seemed way too short.

At this point I really just want it to be over. I wonder why I was spared when all of my friends are gone and the only man I ever loved is gone.

I've struggled since those days and don't see the point of living anther 30 years. The world has gotten so much worse in many ways, while some things have gotten better. I don't want to go on for another 30 years worrying if I'll have enough to eat. I winder if I can hold on until I'm old enough to collect social security or if it will even be there.

I can only hope that I go in my early to mid 60s like all of the men in my family.

by Anonymousreply 310/27/2013

I'm sorry to read your very sad post, R3. Maybe this sounds like a cliché, but have you considered helping 'needy' people. Of course you have to be the helping people kind of person. But you might find it rewarding.

I tik that's what I'm going to do. The 'care home' where my father died asks for volunteers and I can drive, so maybe I'll do a bit of that.

[quote] I wonder why I was spared when all of my friends are gone and the only man I ever loved is gone

It was so horrific what people went through. I don't know if it's acknowledged enough. Maybe it's still to painful for people to remember.

by Anonymousreply 410/27/2013

[quote]Give yourself another 10 years, OP, until you get over that feeling of "I have many more years left."

So about 60 is the age when that changes? I guess it must be. I've never thought about it before.

by Anonymousreply 510/27/2013

I could have written R3.

by Anonymousreply 610/27/2013

It's subjective. My sister in law visited her 102 year old grandmother last week. Granny is full of life and won't go quietly, despite having lost her husband 40 years ago. She is the life and soul of her retirement home and still plays bridge and drinks gin & tonic every night. My SIL's other grandma is 98 and has been dead in all but name for 30-odd years since she lost her husband. She just sits out her days and mourns. I'm guessing she would welcome her last day.

by Anonymousreply 710/27/2013

The best years, the years when you are at your most beautiful and feel the most alive and optimistic about your future, are far far far too short. The rest of it, the long slog, can be quite long.

by Anonymousreply 810/27/2013

yes, life is extremely short. carpe diem. I just want another healthy 20 years and i'll be happy, i'm not asking to live til 100yrs.

this year fucking flew by, oct is almost over, what the fuck have I done? nothing! i hate myself.

by Anonymousreply 910/27/2013

53 here, life is indeed fleeting. I feel like I'm the same person I was at 16. My body disagrees ... stupid body.

by Anonymousreply 1010/27/2013

R3 I understand how you feel and I have been where you are. I won't be presumptuous enough to say "it will get better," only"it can get better." I lost my first lover (whom I thought was the only man I could love) by the time I turned 30 (not to AIDS, which made it even harder to talk about, as people assumed it was AIDS an then when it wasn't often seemed to think it was less of a loss--it was the times and I understand better now why they may have felt that way--individual loss vs. massive tragedy). Even worse, my closest friend, from high school on, died of AIDS when he was 36 and I was 34. Those years produced so much emotional damage in so many of us. When I least expected it, I did fall in love again--not the first blush, but a different and equally (perhaps more) satisfying love with another man. And while I have never found another "best friend" quite like Gary, I have found friends who make my life richer than it would otherwise have been. I don't have any solution to suggest, other than life sometimes surprises--and occasionally in good ways. None of this is to diminish anyone's losses.

by Anonymousreply 1110/27/2013

It's short, any way you look at it.

by Anonymousreply 1210/27/2013

It is short. The older you get, the shorter it seems. When I was 12, my grandfather died. He was 72. My grandmother said he was too young to die. That sounded ridiculous to me. Now, I am 78. Nowhere near ready to go. I understand her completely.

by Anonymousreply 1310/27/2013

84 here. Love life, hope the next years I have are as wonderful as the previous. My advice, don't waste a day.

by Anonymousreply 1410/27/2013

[quote]84 here. Love life,

And how long have you been a DLer, R14?

by Anonymousreply 1510/27/2013

122 here, but I look at least 10 years younger.

Glad to hear from the older posters. Despite my joking, I relish the chance to ask some questions. What advice specific to being gay do you have for us? What've been your most satisfying gay-related aspects of life?

Cheers, guys or girls.

by Anonymousreply 1610/27/2013

Well reading your borning post has made life SEEM a lot longer.

by Anonymousreply 1710/27/2013

Perfect example: Lou Reed died today. 71 years old. Gone too soon. Life is short, indeed.

by Anonymousreply 1810/27/2013

Since late '98. Have enjoyed the Prancing Ponies, Bonnie Mace, DE, white belt man and the EST craze. Blue Agrave was always my favorite.

by Anonymousreply 1910/27/2013

Life is almost unbearably long.

The people who say "life is short" seem so stupid to me, always have.

by Anonymousreply 2010/27/2013

It's a brief dream. My mother is 96 and she's very VERY pissed off that Nature is going to pull the plug on her anytime soon. She wants another 100 years at least.

by Anonymousreply 2110/27/2013

R20, thanks for plumbing the depths of human stupidity.

by Anonymousreply 2210/27/2013

I love my life. I have always been an upbeat and positive guy and if I could live to be 800 years old, I would love it. At 48, it does seem like time is flying. I was looking at some old pictures from the mid-'80s the other day and thinking how it just seemed like they were taken just a few months ago. Life does fly by. Enjoy every minute and don't sweat the small stuff. The small stuff doesn't matter. Live!

by Anonymousreply 2310/27/2013

Well said r23!

by Anonymousreply 2410/27/2013

Life is short and it flies by. Enjoy what you have while you can.

by Anonymousreply 2510/27/2013

I thought life was just a bowl of cherries? No?

by Anonymousreply 2610/28/2013

It flies by. You will be 70 before you know it - and then what? contemplating the end of your own life, and making a will, what will become of your possessions, the things you surround yourself with, particularly if you have to go into a care home. Then you know how loved you are and what your life has amounted to, and how many people will care ...

While you have the time make sure you are loved and can love, and amass goodwill, or bad karma will stalk you.

by Anonymousreply 2710/28/2013

I am 67 and reasonably fit apart from a knee replacement (arthritis). But I am on my third ten year relationship - I am expecting this one to last me out (I left my first one from when I was 28-38, then the second one died on me (1985-1996) ....

I keep thinking though to my early 20s and 30s when I looked terrific and had lots of friends. I too lost them all to AIDS, I am the only one of my 80s gang left. But I am busy and happy and occupied - flying out on holiday tomorrow. But one wonders how long is left - "ten good years" maybe, as Nancy Wilson sang!

by Anonymousreply 2810/28/2013

Its good to be a good age now, and retired or facing retirement. We had it good when in our prime. I would hate to be starting out now or young and moving to a new city.

by Anonymousreply 2910/28/2013

I personally don't see any point to living past 80 if one starts to have health problems. Its a downward slope from then .... why put yourself and loved ones through all that. I dont want to end up dribbling in a care home or not knowing who I am or who I have loved .

One should enjoy one's life while able to and then decide when you want to exit, painlessly. It is what we do for our pets.

by Anonymousreply 3010/28/2013

Hey r27 - 70 is the new 60. People are living healthier longer - get used to it.

by Anonymousreply 3110/28/2013

r28 - you are a survivor, like me. Our job is to remember our fallen comrades and to go on living for them.

by Anonymousreply 3210/28/2013

"Oh, the days dwindle down...to a precious few..."

Reading that both Lou Reed and Marcia Wallace were born the same year that I was born was somewhat of a jolt to me. I was younger than both of them, Marcia by 8 days and Lou by 8 months.

Tempus does indeed fugit, I never expected to be in my dotage, retired, living a good life, compared to a lot people out there. I have no complaints so far.

But, just wait, you youngsters will see how time speeds up the longer you live.

by Anonymousreply 3310/28/2013

What I find incredible now is how quickly the year goes by, it never did when I was younger. Now its almost the end of October, christmas stuff has been in the stores for weeks, one has to start making plans for the holiday. Its a jolt to think back on something and realise it was 10 or more years ago ...

by Anonymousreply 3410/28/2013

Someone once told me that the years feel shorter as you age because each subsequent year is a smaller percentage of your whole life. When I was 8 years old, a year was 1/8, 12.5% of my whole life and felt sooo long. But now, at 58, a year is 1/58, only 1.72% of my life, and it flies by. So I try to live each one like it's the last one I'll get.

by Anonymousreply 3510/28/2013

Now doesn't that title just give you a thrill?

by Anonymousreply 3610/28/2013

R20 and Op are probably freeper trolls trying to get dataloungers to kill themselves. We have to keep a sharp eye out for these people and their tactics.

by Anonymousreply 3710/28/2013

I have to agree with the commenters here that life is waaaay too long and not short! I'm 48 and am so done.

by Anonymousreply 3810/29/2013

R38 I'm with you. I'm 45.

by Anonymousreply 3910/29/2013

OP, how did your father manage to cram in 84 years since 1930?

by Anonymousreply 4010/29/2013

R38 and R39, may I remind you, please, that actions speak louder than words?

by Anonymousreply 4110/29/2013

Not really.

I suffered from cyclical depression, and often life feels endless. I feel a lot better now, and it does seem to have sped up!

by Anonymousreply 4210/29/2013

You fucking whiners suck. If you live another 20 years you only have 20 summers to experience. Jesus if you knew you would be like this when you were kids you would have been disgusted. 45 years old and done with life, buck up.

by Anonymousreply 4310/29/2013

Life does seem short. I am 48 and I cannot believe that I am ALMOST FUCKING 50!!!! I was just a hot young, blond, muscular twinky stud a few short years ago. Damn! I want to live another 35-40 years at least (as long as I remain in good health and am able to fuck, or at least "get off" regularly).

by Anonymousreply 4410/29/2013

Life is short but there are days and moments that feel like a fucking eternity and not in a good way. Then there are moments and times that feel eternal and timeless in the most wonderful way.

I used to think that people who die are somehow, on some level, ready to die or in the case of older people, are weary and ready to go. When my father died, I could tell he still had stuff to do and just wanted to get back to his life. It really crushed me. Not sure what my point is.

"Life is so brief, and time is a thief when you're undecided. Like a fist full of sand it can slip right through your hands."

by Anonymousreply 4510/29/2013

I'm only 98, and people say I look like I'm in twenties. Time sure does fly by.

by Anonymousreply 4610/29/2013

Life on this planet may not be much fun in another 30 to 40 years. Might be better to go sooner than later.

by Anonymousreply 4710/29/2013

Enjoy yourself

It's later than you think

Enjoy yourself

While you're still in the pink

The years go by faster than you think

Enjoy yourself, enjoy yourself

It's later than you think

by Anonymousreply 4810/29/2013

Right you are, R47.

by Anonymousreply 4910/29/2013

It's still a good ride, you're only alive now, not the 30 or 40 years in the future.

by Anonymousreply 5010/29/2013

Yes, the growing gap between the very wealthy and everyone else, the violence that pervades daily life in our country, and the disinterest in the environment and the looming crises caused by global warming, make me feel very sorry for the young. I am 60 and in good health. Things should be getting really dicey just as I am ready to check out. Lucky me.

by Anonymousreply 5110/29/2013

Thank you, R51. This sums it up nicely. Contrary to the beliefs of some posters here, the "readiness to call it quits" is connected to the lagging quality of life nowadays and not because some of us have a depressive imbalance.

by Anonymousreply 5210/29/2013

32 here. It depends on your outlook I guess. I've felt both at different times in my life: I suffered from chronic depression in my late 20s and I felt like time is so f*cking slow. Time simply stops the moment you realize how crappy your life is and you feel like you're merely existing in some sort of an eternal loop in a Fringe-like universe. Nowadays I'm doing fine and I begin to understand how swiftly time flies.

I absolutely agree with R11. Really, life often surprises - in good ways more often than not. We just need to recognize and acknowledge them. These days, I'm pretty much open to whatever good stuff that comes my way. I was once "stuck" in that dark place and I'm not going back.

One more thing, I think that most of our misery comes from our tendency to hold on and attach ourselves too much to things that are temporary, and unfortunately whether we choose to acknowledge it or not, those "things" include people and relationships. It's no surprise that there are times when I can't help but notice that those people with invigorating lives are the ones who can't seem to settle down.

by Anonymousreply 5310/29/2013
Need more help? Click Here.