Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Sarah Silverman Failed Pilot

Hmm. I kinda like it. The "focus group" part is really funny.

by Anonymousreply 10108/09/2014

Golden opportunity #5,607,000 goes down in flames. When should we expect Golden Opportunity #5,607,001 to be graciously handed to this lovely and eminently talented creature?

by Anonymousreply 110/27/2013

Featuring... Tig Notaro!

by Anonymousreply 210/27/2013

OP, ironically, the pilot was pulled due to real focus group opinion. Despite its "put pilot" status the rabid focus group response forced the hand of NBC. I don't believe one person in any of the groups had anything positive to say.

R2- Focus group response to Notaro and a Harvey Wittels was particularly strong. In my years of doing this, I've never seen such a visceral loathing for supporting actors.

by Anonymousreply 310/27/2013

Interesting #3.

I thought Tig was very funny.

I can totally see why a focus group would hate this show, though.

Give us more details! Love this stuff..

by Anonymousreply 410/27/2013

Why hasn't Tig Notaro been cast as Adam Scott's sister in anything?

by Anonymousreply 510/27/2013

Well, I enjoyed it very much

by Anonymousreply 610/27/2013

It's amazes me how many chances this woman has gotten considering how unfunny she is. They tried hard to make her happen for over 10 years.

by Anonymousreply 710/27/2013

R4 What is linked isn't the version they saw. A scene where Tig Notaro passed gas and talked about dental dams seemed to have been cut.Too edgy, I'm guessing. NBC had to pay a large fine to Silverman and Ron Howard to pull this.

by Anonymousreply 810/27/2013

This was awful. OP is SS trying to get the public to support this stinker.

by Anonymousreply 910/27/2013

The material aside, here is my problem with Sarah Silverman when she tries to go mainstream:

That squeaky, girly voice only works as gimmick in her stand-up because it contrasts with the dirty/nasty/mean things she is saying. But when she is TRYING to be cute and girly, it gets really cloying.

I just don't like grown woman who talk like 8 year-olds. They sound like molestation victims.

by Anonymousreply 1010/27/2013

Agreed, R10.

Also, the snarkiness and neurosis belongs to a twenty-something. She's well over 40.

She should write for others. Her old stuff might sound better coming out of the mouths of a sitcom starlets.

by Anonymousreply 1110/27/2013

f

by Anonymousreply 1210/27/2013

[quote]Also, the snarkiness and neurosis belongs to a twenty-something]

SAY WHAT???

by Anonymousreply 1310/27/2013

r7, so true.

by Anonymousreply 1410/27/2013

She'll end up playing the foul-mouthed granny on some sit-com twenty years from now.

by Anonymousreply 1510/27/2013

the pilot was awful. a bunch of talentless shmucks running around aimlessly.

these are the scary stalkers crazy tig notaro created out of two sisters. Ian Puddick would understand. So would Francis Shivers and Melissa Balin.

by Anonymousreply 1611/08/2013

[all posts by racist flame bait troll removed, ISP notified with full text of all posts.]

by Anonymousreply 1711/08/2013

[all posts by racist flame bait troll removed, ISP notified with full text of all posts.]

by Anonymousreply 1811/08/2013

The pilot failed because it is a piece of shit.

I don't think Sarah Silverman is anywhere near as popular as her publicists make her out to. She's supposedly "A-list." A-list? She can't even get her lousy tv pilot picked up! Some A-lister. She's a has-been. Or maybe a never was.

by Anonymousreply 1911/08/2013

Jeez, don't you guys have any kids to chase off your lawns?

All the horrible "quirks" and "gimmicks" you describe are -- gasp -- elements of her personality incorporated into her stand up comedy over two decades. They are not random affectations she is throwing at the wall like some Disney machine product. Sarah is very successful, has a lot of creative integrity, is a great writer and performer, has been around the block and back again more than once, and deserves, if she is to be criticized, critics who have any fucking idea what they're talking about.

Seriously. You sound like my mom giving her opinion of a dress Michelle Obama is wearing.

by Anonymousreply 2011/08/2013

I smiled all the way through that.

All the Mommiefraus want is that babyfood shit they play on the Disney channel, written in broad strokes and primary colors.

With a country spaced-out on happydrug mood stabilizers, we have to find a way for funny people to be funny outside of Must See TeeVee.

by Anonymousreply 2111/08/2013

Every media outlet wrote a piece on the release of this. Just read on Reddit that NBC released it to gauge public opinion. So much money was lost on this due to its "put pilot," status. Basically, if they pulled the plug a huge sum would have to be paid Ron and Silverman. Ron Howard and Brian Grazer were behind it. Sarah has a lot of money and the best PR that money can buy. Also,lots of Hollywood connections. Sister is a prominent Rabbi in LA, and Nick Kroll's money and power can launch anyone. She knows how to work every angle. Awesome business woman. The Madonna of comedy.

The pilot wasn't as bad as I'd expected. I think it was Sarah's abortion tweet that sank this one for good.

by Anonymousreply 2311/09/2013

yet 50 times better than Whitney, Sean Saves the World, or any other comedy the geniuses at NBC have tried to make happen over the past 15 years.

by Anonymousreply 2411/09/2013

Sarah is despised in Great Britain. When you lose that kind of market you are in trouble. She wasn't bad in Jesus is Magic, but it's as if she didn't write those jokes. I've heard that Dave Attel wrote them for her.

The Courtney Love of comedy.

by Anonymousreply 2611/09/2013

I like Sarah Silverman a lot, but this pilot was kind of lifeless. Harris Wittels is kinda cute though.

Drag Race fans will notice the guy who Sharon Needles partnered with in the makeover challenge in the focus group scene.

by Anonymousreply 2711/09/2013

I wonder how her HBO special will go next month. She's been doing the same set for about twenty years now, and already shot those jokes for Jesus is Magic in 2006.

by Anonymousreply 2811/09/2013

She's an acquired taste...like castor oil.

by Anonymousreply 2911/09/2013

by Anonymousreply 3011/09/2013

R26, why is she "despised in Britain"?

by Anonymousreply 3111/09/2013

R30 You are right. Sarah Silverman has invested too much in PR and not enough on her work. Tig is even worse. Her whole career is a product of PR and knowing what ass to kiss. Very cunning. Her decision to cozy up with comedian, Nick Kroll, is why she has the assets to keep up the non stop promotion we are seeing. Nick is a multi millionaire and the son of a Billionaire, Jules Kroll.

Mad money and mad connections. Kroll, Sarah, and Tig are always pushed by the same outlets. Interviewed by the same "journalists." It's fascinating.

Tig doesn't work blue. I respect that, but she needs to focus on her health, or her comedy. All this PR is not effective. It's embarrassing, imho.

by Anonymousreply 3211/09/2013

Is SS from money, ie her parents have tons?

by Anonymousreply 3311/09/2013

The overzealous fan thing is weird. Do Tig and Sarah really inspire such devotion?

Highly doubt it.It's them grasping for love and attention. Sad.

by Anonymousreply 3411/09/2013

R20 = Tig Notaro.

by Anonymousreply 3511/10/2013

I want to see Roseanne's pilot from last year, and I want to see that American AbFab pilot from a few years back.

by Anonymousreply 3611/10/2013

YESSS, R36. I was hoping they'd include it as a special feature on the AbFab's 20th Anniversary Specials DVD, but no rice.

by Anonymousreply 3711/10/2013

WHY HASN'T TIG NOTARO BEEN CAST AS ADAM SCOTT'S SITER ON PARKS & REC?!? The resemblance is uncanny. And makes me lose some lust for Adam Scott :(

by Anonymousreply 3811/10/2013

Who the fuck is Tig Notaro, and why doesn't her/his troll DIAF? While you're at it you can take SS with you, since that appears the only we'll finally be rid of this thing.

by Anonymousreply 3911/10/2013

Actually r39, that would properly be DINGF.

However, you are correct.

by Anonymousreply 4011/10/2013

She's no Maria Bamford.

by Anonymousreply 4111/10/2013

Tig monitors DL 24/7

by Anonymousreply 4211/10/2013

[quote] All the horrible "quirks" and "gimmicks" you describe are -- gasp -- elements of her personality incorporated into her stand up comedy over two decades. They are not random affectations she is throwing at the wall like some Disney machine product.

That explains a lot. She's got a terrible personality

by Anonymousreply 4311/10/2013

R 24/7 She is way too busy with a shitload of awesome projects to spend a moment here. I don't get it. DL Fave Louis CK has endorsed her. NPR has featured her work. She has now been on the cover of CURVE magazine, and the DL seems to hate her. Why? Is it butch phobia? Misogyny?

Tig recently promised to donate some proceeds from THE BENTZEN BALL to gay causes. Candace Gingrich is a fan. So is Taylor Dayne. lol. The BENTZEN BALL is festival that Tig has curated though she had more high profile projects in the works. Tig and other comics have compared THE BENTZEN BALL to "a camp for comedians." The comics ride around on sedgeways and have champagne brunches. How cool is that? Before Tig, comics were isolated. She has built for them a community. A community of "misfit toys,' is how she described in a recent interview for yet another major publication.

In a Village Voice profile, Tig, has stated that she is too busy to listen to podcasts, and tv programs. Do you seriously think she has time to come here?

by Anonymousreply 4411/11/2013

ARGH. I meant to say R42.

by Anonymousreply 4611/11/2013

I know SS is st8 but a girrrrl can dream.

HAWT.

by Anonymousreply 4711/11/2013

Bamford is really an amazing talent.

by Anonymousreply 4811/11/2013

R48 this thread is not about Maria. Please, don't hijack it.

by Anonymousreply 4911/11/2013

R49, sorry about that.

by Anonymousreply 5011/11/2013

R50 We're cool. It's just that the pretty girls get all the breaks. Really edgy and awesome comics like Tig Notaro get short shrift. Sarah is pretty too but her and Tig are best friends so it's not relevant.

Maria and Natasha have to work a tenth less to get as far as tig. It's not right.

by Anonymousreply 5211/11/2013

GO AWAY TIG TROLL

Please. I just know you're behind these lame SS bumps.

GET A LIFE.

THanks. :)

by Anonymousreply 5311/11/2013

[quote]R 24/7 She is way too busy with a shitload of awesome projects to spend a moment here. I don't get it. DL Fave Louis CK has endorsed her. NPR has featured her work. She has now been on the cover of CURVE magazine, and the DL seems to hate her. Why? Is it butch phobia? Misogyny?

Tig.

Do you really think that Louse CK is a DL fave?

Really?

In truth, cock, ass & holes are DL faves. QUIT TROLLING OUR SITE with your megalomanic self-promotion.

Also, do you really think that just because a comedian has been on NPR that means they are any good? NRP has tons of guests every week. They have tons of air time that need to be filled. THeir reports are nice, but not all that memorable & trend setting.

Who the F reads Cuerve magazine anymore? It was ok in the 90s...perhaps necessary. But not anymore.

So you made their cover. That does not validate you as a talent. SORRY. Just look at the cover of People & National Enquirer. KK is all over those outlets. Does that means they are any good? Hell no.

If you want to be famous, fine. But go about it honestly. Don't stealth message boards to promote yourself. It will only make us hate you.

by Anonymousreply 5411/11/2013

Louis CK is not a "DL Fave" (joke or not) - he is not discussed at all.

by Anonymousreply 5511/11/2013

WOW

by Anonymousreply 5611/11/2013

R54 and R55 - Judging by this thread, Louis CK IS very popular with at least a segment of DL posters:

by Anonymousreply 5711/11/2013

c

by Anonymousreply 5811/11/2013

CK is awesome. Glad I could spread the word.

by Anonymousreply 5911/11/2013

Tig is too ugly to be that boring on TV.

by Anonymousreply 6011/11/2013

Tig, that's an obscure link you posted at 57.

It was started more than a year ago, and only got 110 responses.

You are full of shit.

You're just not getting it, are you? Your tactic is backfiring.

You will be famous if you are funny. So just be funny and quit guerilla marketing yourself.

DL is too smart to fall for this BS. STOP.

by Anonymousreply 6111/11/2013

How is the thread linked at R57 any more "obscure" than any other thread on DL? Like this one, for instance?

by Anonymousreply 6211/11/2013

[quote]DL is too smart to fall for this BS.

Then check your trolldar. I'm not Tig - I live nowhere the USA.

by Anonymousreply 6311/11/2013

I bet this has already been posted, but the woman in the focus group was Pearl from Diff'rent Strokes.

by Anonymousreply 6411/11/2013

*nowhere near, sorry

by Anonymousreply 6511/11/2013

She's too quirky for a broadcast network show.

by Anonymousreply 6611/11/2013

"too quirky" = "not funny enough"

by Anonymousreply 6711/11/2013

[quote]NPR has featured her work. She has now been on the cover of CURVE magazine, and the DL seems to hate her. Why? Is it butch phobia? Misogyny?

You're getting closer . . .

by Anonymousreply 6811/11/2013

Remember when Josh Purcell kept spamming DL to get himself famous?

Tig Notato = Josh Purcell

by Anonymousreply 6911/11/2013

R70: Are you for real?

I've got to hope you are a satire of a starry-eyed fan who doesn't get that the person she adores is a mediocre talent.

I think you tipped your hand at "stellar writing" and pretending Tig N. has any screen presence whatsoever.

by Anonymousreply 7111/11/2013

R70, this is a message board. An anonymous message board.

It's not a club...nor a bar, neighborhood, coffee shop, water cooler.

DL neither hates nor loves anyone. It's not a person. It's not a democracy.

The users and content here is virtually random, literally.

Please explain why you are so invested in a failed TV pilot.

by Anonymousreply 7211/11/2013

R57 didn't bust anyone. That was one old thread, and not very long. We have had longer ones on peanut butter Cheerios.

by Anonymousreply 7311/11/2013

seems like there are some desperate angry shills on this thread

by Anonymousreply 7411/11/2013

R57 I don't care where you are, I'd like to buy you a beer. So many haters here, huh?

by Anonymousreply 7511/11/2013

Why WOULDN'T DL'ers like "Louie"? This scene alone has been linked numerous times, and not just on threads discussing "vocal fry":

by Anonymousreply 7611/11/2013

Stop shilling these fifth-rate comedians that no one cares about!

by Anonymousreply 7711/11/2013

Sarah Silverman is disgusting. I saw a picture of her at some public function where she was bent over, butt facing the camera, with her finger stuck in her anus. I think it was supposed to be funny. No doubt her fans saw the picture and thought "Wow! That's so edgy!She's sticking her finger in her asshole! How brilliant and original! And so HOT!"

by Anonymousreply 7811/11/2013

I like Sarah. Her standup is hilarious and completely inappropriate - which I love. But that pilot was boring. I didn't even smile once.

by Anonymousreply 7911/11/2013

I thought the pilot was very enjoyable and, were it developed into a series, would look forward to seeing how the characters developed.

If, as some posters suggest, this post was part of a plot to get the pilot out there and develop momentum for the series' realization, then I hope it serves its purpose.

by Anonymousreply 8011/11/2013

na

by Anonymousreply 8111/11/2013

This desperate quest for fame is fascinating. I'm starting to think that it's some drug. Tig Notaro and Sarah Silverman keep trying and trying for that high. Non stop PR campaigns. Non stop plotting to become a household name. No talent to be seen, but that shameless hunger, and a lot of money to promote any step they may take to get that fame. The shilling is not just found here.

These ladies can't rest. Sarah is a name. She failed but she got to some point where a lot of people know her name.

Notaro and her machinations are just aggressive and pathetic. I heard her on a Nerdist Podcast, and wanted to hurl. No self awareness. Insufferable. She made it seem that raw foods was enough to beat cancer. Said she loves having cancer. She is way too arrogant and unattractive to rise. Cancer gimmicks can only take one so far.

This pilot cost a fortune for NBC. It was a put pilot. The focus groups despised it. I watched it, and thought it awful, but then the standard is so low. No worries - these two will think up something new to shove on us.

by Anonymousreply 8211/11/2013

R80 And, I hope to see a pig fly.

by Anonymousreply 8311/11/2013

I enjoyed it. It held my interest. There is so much that is just godawful on network TV - at least this is something I would watch a few times to see where it goes.

Most stuff I don't even bother tuning in for. I was curious about the Sean Hayes and Michael J. Fox shows but thought they were just a feces fest.

by Anonymousreply 8411/11/2013

How much did this pilot cost? Everyone keeps talking about how expensive it was, but no one is mentioning a number.

by Anonymousreply 8511/12/2013

R85 Well, millions. Believe it or not, there was a massive bidding war on this project. And, then a sum had to be paid Ron and Sarah just to reject it. Not sure of the exact figure but I'll see what I can find out.

I suspect that the fart jokes, Sarah's controversial tweet, and the focus group response made this too dicey. It's really bad, but that hasn't stopped NBC before.

by Anonymousreply 8611/12/2013

We're talking about television here.

Not literature...or fine art. Or even fine food.

All TV is disposable. I can't believe "people" here are debating the merits of a failed TV show that never made it to broadcast. There are so many other ways to spend your time...so much entertaining content available on the web, phone, tv, tablets, etc. Oh -- and books. :)

Per r70, everyday folk could not care less about a failed TV pilot. DL folks are never this positive & chipper about anything or anyone. We have epic troll wars re: Anderson Cooper and Janet Jackson.

I suspect my typing is falling on deaf ears. SS & TN are totally obsessed with trolling for fame. They will never leave us alone. :(

by Anonymousreply 8711/12/2013

R85 1 million!

by Anonymousreply 8811/15/2013

she's doing great. Was a hit at the music awards and now has a hit special that Rolling stone is praising.

by Anonymousreply 8911/27/2013

"she's doing great."

Her pilot bombed, so that's not exactly doing "great."

She's not as big of a "hit" as you're making her out to be.

As for her special...well, it's the same old shit. "Horrible subject matter sweetly delivered" is how one critic put on.

by Anonymousreply 9011/27/2013

yes, she is doing great...at spamming the hell out of the internet to make herself "happen."

Good luck, SS. You'll be a superstar one day. Dreams do come true!!!

by Anonymousreply 9111/27/2013

count on tig to win the grammy. she is heads and shoulders above bob saget and the other cancer free nominees.

by Anonymousreply 9201/11/2014

I'd rather watch this at midnight than JimmyJimmyJay.

by Anonymousreply 9301/13/2014

tig notaro cancer story is false? discuss

by Anonymousreply 9401/22/2014

Tig Notaro is busted.

by Anonymousreply 9502/06/2014

30 Rock Season 5, Episode 16 titled "TGS Hates Women" featured a baby-voiced female comic named Abby. Liz/Tina Fey tries to get her to drop her baby talk.

Did anyone else read this character as a Sarah Silverman reference?

by Anonymousreply 9602/06/2014

Sarah is pissed off at Tig for getting involved with her and Nick's cancer scam. No longer BFF's those two. Notaro used sarah for all she was worth and has moved on.

by Anonymousreply 9703/01/2014

Peter Holmes thinks Tig is a gas! As does her awesome gf, Stephanie Allyne.

by Anonymousreply 9803/01/2014

Tig Notaro has grown quickly bored with cancer and now has become a presenter of benefits for transgender issues.

by Anonymousreply 9904/01/2014

It has Tig, what more could you want?

by Anonymousreply 10008/09/2014

They think they're "edgy" but they're really the 2014 version of safe: ultra-crude, cynical, attacking, castrating and sleazy (women), bearded fat porn-addicted misogynists (men)...This keeps them all very, very safe. Nobody is political, they all play the right/left paradigm game (which is a construct that is outdated) and they all CARE way too fucking much about playing that KISS ASS Hollywood game. So "rebellious".

by Anonymousreply 10108/09/2014
Need more help? Click Here.