Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Celebrity Atheist Is 'Sure Obama Is An Atheist' Too

Celebrity atheist Richard Dawkins believes that two of America's presidents share his same religious perspective.

“Like many people, I’m sure that [President Barack] Obama is an atheist,” Dawkins told Bill Maher on Friday. “I’m sure Kennedy was an atheist. But I doubt Pope Frank is, no. He’s obviously a nice man, therefore a dangerous man. We don’t want nice men in the Vatican.”

Dawkins' comments come amid a new book revealing how Obama's Christian faith has aided him at times during his presidency. White House spiritual advisor Joshua DuBois' book, "The President's Devotional: The Daily Readings That Inspired President Obama," showcased how at pivotal moments, Obama leans on prayer as a grounding mechanism.

"I've certainly seen the president's faith grow in his time in office," DuBois told the AP last week. "When you cultivate your faith, it grows."

As for atheism in politics, it is a rare sight. Back in September, HuffPost Politics looked at how the current 113th Congress has zero admitted atheists. A few months after he retired, former Rep. Barney Frank (D-Mass.) admitted his nonbeliever status. Former Rep. Pete Stark (D-Calif.) had been the only avowed atheist, but he left office in 2012.

by Anonymousreply 2402/05/2015

That is one of the reasons I like him (remember the "cling to their guns and religion" comment.)

by Anonymousreply 110/26/2013

But he's not an atheist. Wishful thinking on Dawkins' part.

by Anonymousreply 210/27/2013

Why would he think Kennedy was an athiest?

by Anonymousreply 310/27/2013

It's a weird comment. Dawkins is very us vs them in his thinking. He likes them, so he wants to say they are on his side. He does not allow for different kinds of ideas about religion or spirituality - sees it all one way. I don't think we can truly know what is or was in Obama or Kennedy's head or heart.

by Anonymousreply 410/27/2013

He thinks Kennedy is an atheist? He's rather uninformed. I'm not sure if this was in Jaqcueline Kennedy's taped interviews released a few years ago or if it's from another source, but Jack Kennedy would drop to his knees every night for bedtime prayers. Much to her amusement.

by Anonymousreply 510/27/2013

Barack "God's in the mix" Obama an atheist? Has Dawkins read either of his books? I agree, it's a case of liking someone and thinking, he must be like me. Same way Maher thinks Pope Frank is a secret atheist.

by Anonymousreply 610/27/2013

At this stage I don't bother listening to him or Maher anymore, not because I find what they say offensive, but I'm tired and bored of people who constantly preach on and on about the same thing.

I know many will say it needs preaching, OK fine, but I'm not interested in it anymore.

by Anonymousreply 710/27/2013

It's called militant atheism r7, and they are as irritating as militant Evangelicals or vegans. Weird how they're so bent on proving how crazy everyone else is that they don't notice how they're coming across - Obama, Kennedy and Francis are atheists, what they believe is irrelevant.

by Anonymousreply 810/27/2013

I doubt Kennedy was an atheist, but I'm pretty sure Obama is. His mother was an atheist, and I don't see an intelligent person raised without any religion suddenly turning to it as an adult. His church attendance was a political move to ingratiate himself with the black community in Chicago.

While I don't think Pope Francis is an atheist, it wouldn't shock me to find out that he believes that most of the Bible is meant more as allegory than history.

And anyone who uses the term 'militant atheist' reveals himself to be an idiot. Dawkins is the most militant atheist there is, and what does he do? He writes books and says mean things on Twitter. The only thing that separates him from 90% of people on the Internet is a publishing contract.

by Anonymousreply 910/27/2013

R9, You're no different than those who insist Obama is a secret muslim despite what he says, have you read his books and seen how he came into Christianity? Pretty inspirational stuff, basically a lost boy who found his home in Chicago's black community.

by Anonymousreply 1010/27/2013

Dawkins has become as tiresome as fundamentalist

by Anonymousreply 1110/27/2013

^^True, but he has more brains than a fundamentalist.

by Anonymousreply 1210/27/2013

Maybe only a tiny bit more, r12. And he had no common sense at all. Who was the atheist big wig who said a couple of months ago that Dawkins was the worst possible spokesperson for atheism?

by Anonymousreply 1310/28/2013

Agnostics are smarter.

by Anonymousreply 1410/28/2013

Why, other than it makes for good, apparently witty copy, wouldn't we want a nice man in the Vatican?

by Anonymousreply 1510/28/2013

Dawkins might be militant, yet he's never preached against other people's rights. A militant atheist has ethics, militant religiosity does not.

by Anonymousreply 1610/28/2013

Another I can't stand is Ricky Gervais. More than just a militant atheist, he talks about it all the time to everyone, endlessly and unprompted. The problem with him he comes across as very, very bitter; as if Hollywood and the world owes him. You'd think all the money he's made would have mellowed him down a little, but no: You're a POS who deserves to die for not sharing his atheist beliefs. I wonder if this bitterness ended his once promising prospects in Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 1710/31/2013

Ricky Gervais is indeed insufferable. I'm glad he's over.

by Anonymousreply 1810/31/2013

These are the same people that slam Fox News for claiming Obama is a Muslim... Yet project their own views onto our president with no facts!

by Anonymousreply 1902/05/2015

I don't understand why the religion (or lack of it) of the President even matters.

by Anonymousreply 2002/05/2015

Has Dawkins finally gone insane or is this just his typical attention whoring?

by Anonymousreply 2102/05/2015

Dawkins is tiresome and annoying

by Anonymousreply 2202/05/2015

Any topic on religion or atheism brings out a ream of preemptive strikes from religionists about how bad, insufferable or militant atheists are.

Doesn't it bother you that your entire belief system is based on the premise that your opponents are annoying?

What is there, like one out atheist in Congress? If you think a heap of politicians aren't pretending for the votes then you aren't thinking very hard (although that's no surprise).

Religion has been a tool for powerful over the powerless since the Roman Empire, and nothing has changed.

by Anonymousreply 2302/05/2015

Atheists who abuse religion as a tool for power could still be wrong in their atheism.

While much fundamentalist faith is obviously wrong, stupid, arrogant and savage, atheism, in its absolutism, can be just as arrogant.

Not every person of faith supports filmed beheadings. I wonder why Dawkins likes the idea of a nasty Pope. Easier to disparage, I suppose.

by Anonymousreply 2402/05/2015
Need more help? Click Here.