Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Knowing When It's Time to Put A Pet to Sleep

My 18 year old cat is in the final stages of renal failure. She took a turn for the worse earlier this week. She's sleeping a lot, wants to sit on my lap and purr. She's given up trying to get to her favorite spot in the window and she won't sleep with me anymore.

She stopped eating yesterday. She was always a big food mooch and has turned her nose up at her favorites. She is drinking water.

Everybody keeps telling me that she will let me know when it's time. I dint think she's in any pain but I can't be 100% certain.

I'm completely torn up I don't want her to suffer. To make matters worse I'm unemployed. Won't have any money until the end of next week. I really can't afford any more trips to the vet. I've given up food for myself a number of times when I realized something was wrong and too where to the vet and found out there wasn't anything they could do.

I keep hoping she'll go to sleep and not wake up

by Anonymousreply 4310/28/2013

It's time, OP. I had a 14 or 15 year old cat (possibly older - not sure b/c she was a rescue) with the same symptoms. Stopped eating, drank a lot of water, just slept most of the time. The vet said that cats go into liver failure very quickly if they don't eat; unlike humans or dogs, they can't survive off their reserves of fat. So she was in liver failure by the time I brought her in, which was about 3 days after she had completely stopped eating. I had her PTS. She went peacefully.

by Anonymousreply 110/26/2013

It is time, OP. We euthanized our oldest dog yesterday. Stopping eating is their way of telling you, especially on top of another condition. Ours was arthritis.

by Anonymousreply 210/26/2013

You've given up food yet pay to post here....

by Anonymousreply 310/26/2013

It's time, OP. You sound like a wonderful guy. I do wish we could euthanize our pets at home, but you should probably take her in.

by Anonymousreply 410/26/2013

.Fuck you r3. I paid free fucking 18 almost a year ago when I had a job. Douchebag.

by Anonymousreply 510/26/2013

[quote] Stopping eating is their way of telling you.

Stopping eating can also be a symptom of dental problems. This is not the Op's case, but if anyone reading this has an otherwise healthy pet that's not eating, please get their teeth checked.

Thanks

by Anonymousreply 610/26/2013

It's $18 a year, R3, not $18 a week.

by Anonymousreply 710/26/2013

We put our 17 year old lab down earlier this month. Our other dog has been acting strange, and my partner thinks she is missing her older brother.

Just get it over with OP. End you pet's suffering.

by Anonymousreply 810/26/2013

Go to vet and work out a payment plan, pronto.

by Anonymousreply 910/26/2013

Sitting on your lap means kitty wants you to comfort her. I'd wait a little longer. She's not mewling in pain or showing signs of irritability yet. Not eating is normal for anyone who doesn't feel well.

My sympathies with an aged, sickly cat. I've been there, as well as needlessly being dissed on DL.

by Anonymousreply 1010/26/2013

Agree with R10.

by Anonymousreply 1110/26/2013

A vet told me once that the vast majority of the time when it comes to putting an older, ailing pet to sleep, people wait too long and then regret it. Owners virtually never look back and say to themselves "I pulled the trigger too soon, I wish I'd let him/her linger for awhile longer..." It's about quality of life for the animal, after all. They cannot really conceive of or contemplate their own deaths in the way that humans do, so in that at least there's a small blessing: it really is like going to sleep. I'm terribly sorry for your situation. 18 years is a long time and you clearly have a cherished bond with your girl.

by Anonymousreply 1210/26/2013

Is she losing weight rapidly? My first cat was undergoing renal failure, towards the end he yowled alot and ate less and less and lost weight rapidly. That was a sure indicator to me. When they have renal failure, sores often develop in their mouth and they can't eat. It sounds like it's time or very close for your pet friend. When you take her in, hold her through the entire process. I only held my buddy for the first shot that relaxed him, before the final one I broke down and had to leave. I couldn't stay and I really regret that. My heart goes out to you. If she's only sleeping and not expressing pain, you may have a small window left. My buddy let me know he was done. He couldn't sit still at night and walked around the house yowling all night long and then he would sit on me but not be there...hard to explain. He would only drink milk. Then he didn't. The not eating and rapid and extreme weight loss was the sure indicator.

by Anonymousreply 1310/26/2013

What, if anything does that have to do with Janet?

by Anonymousreply 1410/26/2013

R12 Totally concur with what you have written. My situation was similar to OP's. Of course, didn't want to, but finally had to euthanize my 23 year old cat who was in renal and liver failure. I also felt maybe I had waited too long. For euthanasia, my vet does not require immediate payment and sends a bill later. Your vet might do the same. I'm so sorry for what you and your cat are experiencing.

by Anonymousreply 1510/26/2013

[quote]She's not mewling in pain or showing signs of irritability yet. Not eating is normal for anyone who doesn't feel well.

She's not under the weather, you know. It's not a passing illness. She's dying of kidney failure. Her internal organs are shutting down. She'll most likely never eat again.

Animals can't vocalize whether they're experiencing pain and cats especially have the instinct to conceal pain because in the wild their distress cries would only attract predators who'd eat them alive.

It's time.

by Anonymousreply 1610/26/2013

Don't listen to R10. At least call the vet. A cat not eating is serious, and the copious consumption of water is not a good sign either. Don't you at least have a credit card you can use to pay for the vet bill?

by Anonymousreply 1710/26/2013

OP, is there a local shelter or rescue that you can talk to. It does sound that it's time. I was lucky in the sense that my two dogs died peacefully in their sleep when they were very old.

Oh, and r14. We've taken up a collection to have you put down tomorrow. Be sure to be home at, say, 11:00 am. And Janet contributed.

by Anonymousreply 1810/26/2013

It is time OP. When my darling little one had to go, it was extremely difficult for me. I had to choose between my intense love for her and her need for peace at last. I chose the latter, which, I realized later, was the greatest gift of love I could give her. I held her in my arms and softly whispered my love to her as our vet gave her a painless and quick injection. I looked straight into her eyes. My face was the last thing she saw in this life. .. I think about it often. We spent 18 years together. All my memories are wonderful. And I have fulfillment, closure and peace. .. Best wishes, OP, and be brave as you give her this final gesture of love.

by Anonymousreply 1910/26/2013

I do volunteer work at an animal shelter and I agree it's fine to consult them but please don't drop her off at a shelter when you think she's done. The reason I say this is because pet owners do this when they think it's the end and the pet ends up their last days in a metal cage for days, sometimes months, before they're euthanized. It's heartbreaking. Please be with her at the end and make sure she has a loving passing. Please.

by Anonymousreply 2010/26/2013

Call around to vet offices and see who can work with you. You will find an answer, and best wishes for you both.

by Anonymousreply 2110/26/2013

R20--that's so despicable.

by Anonymousreply 2210/26/2013

If only we had the same compassion for our human loved ones. Really, We should have some reasonable guidelines for ending life.

by Anonymousreply 2310/26/2013

R22, No, It's not despicable, it's because they don't know.

by Anonymousreply 2410/26/2013

My grandmother died of slow renal failure due to severe live long diabetes. Because of other health issues dialysis and transplant were not long term options. For her it was slow, painful and not something she wanted to extend. Looking back I wish we had been able to give her her wish to just pass.

by Anonymousreply 2510/26/2013

I'm so sorry to hear about your cat, OP. She was lucky to be in your care all these years. Good luck, and I'm sure you will make the best decision for her, whatever that may be.

by Anonymousreply 2710/27/2013

Yes OP, r28 is right. But you may need practice, so test your swing with a hammer on the back of r28's skull to see if you can get it right. Don't worry if it takes a few swings to put r28 under. Practice makes perfect.

by Anonymousreply 2910/27/2013

[R28] is a degenerate, cold, immature scumbag who clearly has never been responsible enough to even own a pet.

by Anonymousreply 3010/27/2013

I let my 2 cats go at 17 and 18 years, it was time for them. Daisy the intelligent cat had got very frail and had a lump on her leg. She had been to the vet several times and we realised it was time for her.

Heather the other cat had got a kind of feline dementia and had stopped grooming herself - she was a fluffy cat so her fur had got rather clumpy, and she had stopped using the tray, so we had to have newspapers on the floor ... then she could not jump up on a chair. It was sad but I was happy too that they would not be suffering any more.

I still have their ashes in little boxes in a cupboard.

by Anonymousreply 3110/27/2013

So sorry you are facing this, OP. Your kitty is very lucky to have you as her guardian.

by Anonymousreply 3210/27/2013

Well, it's done. Took her to the emergency vet that's open 24 house early this morning.

Now I just have to bury her in the garden under her favorite window where she sat and watched the world go by.

by Anonymousreply 3310/27/2013

Afta they've had theya din-din.

by Anonymousreply 3410/27/2013

Condolences OP...

by Anonymousreply 3510/27/2013

Christ. Another one of these.

Doesn't anyone have a cat that's under 20, a dog under 16, or a parent who's under 80 and in good health? And who isn't itching to keep trying to turn the DL into a sad-sack support group, with crumb cake?

(And sorry to hear about your loss, OP. It's hard. At least you gave it a good life. You'll feel better over time. In the end they understand when it's time to go. People here are sending you good energy. Etc.)

by Anonymousreply 3610/27/2013

[quote]I keep hoping she'll go to sleep and not wake up

OP, you do NOT want that.

My poor cat died out of absolutely nowhere this summer and we had no idea he was even sick or in pain. The day before, he was his regular self, and then the next day we found him laying on the floor dead. It was heartbreaking not only because it was unexpected, but because of the way we found him. He had his mouth open and his eyes half-open and it was just awful. He looked like he had been in pain. If we had known something was wrong with him and that it couldn't be fixed, I'd rather have had him put to sleep so at least there wouldn't have been pain.

Don't think that your cat will just look it's just sleeping when it dies because chances are it's going to look a lot more graphic (and sad).

by Anonymousreply 3710/27/2013

I agree that I wish we could have the same compassion for humans as we do with pets. When my poor terrier was dying (she was 15) the doctor gave her a shot and she went quickly and quietly surrounded by loved ones. My mother, on the other hand, died a long and agonizing death with no hope of recovery and she languished in and out of hospitals for 2 years.

by Anonymousreply 3810/27/2013

How come we put pets to sleep to reduce their suffering but don't do the same for people?

by Anonymousreply 3910/27/2013

You just know.

by Anonymousreply 4010/27/2013

r39 For the same reason they hounded Jack Kevorkian all those years. He was right in his thinking, and a lot of people agreed, but the sob sisters won out. TPTB scared the average American into thinking that doctors would be running up and down hospital corridors, pulling plugs and jabbing people with syringes full of god-knows-what. We, as a society, have more compassion for Bootsie and Fido, than we do for Granpa or Aunt Minnie. It's a dirty little secret in this country, but so many times families eventually decide to withhold heroic measures, or eventually even food and water, or, are instructed how to give Mom her "extra" morphine. Why can't we face the inevitably of death/suffering, and do things in a timely fashion? I'm not sorry for highjacking this thread, I AM sorry for the loss and anguish you guys are going through with your pets.

by Anonymousreply 4110/27/2013

*inevitability

by Anonymousreply 4210/28/2013

they have vets that will come to you. google and mke the call. let her go in your lap, at home.

by Anonymousreply 4310/28/2013
Need more help? Click Here.