Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

GOP official who said 'lazy blacks' on 'The Daily Show' says words taken out of context.

Don Yelton, a local GOP official in North Carolina, has been forced to resign following an appearance this week on "The Daily Show With Jon Stewart"

He was being interviewed about the the state's strict new voter ID laws which, according to some, disproportionately target minority voters.

He said his words were taken out of context when he said

"If it hurts lazy black people that wants the government to give them everything, so be it"

Again he says his words are taken out of context.

by Anonymousreply 4610/28/2013

Taken out of context? Bullshit. His thoughts are the unofficial platform of the GOP. And its not just blacks they hate. Anybody who doesn't agree with their views 100% is a lazy, shiftless bum.

by Anonymousreply 110/25/2013

Who voted yes?

by Anonymousreply 210/25/2013

You know the best part? He's probably going to blame the Jews (Jon Stewart/Hollywood) and the Muslims (Aasif Manvi was the correspondent) for taking down a God-fearin' Christian.

by Anonymousreply 310/25/2013

[quote]Who voted yes?

Creeper the Freeper

by Anonymousreply 410/25/2013

Well you just can't take a blatant statement like that out of context.

by Anonymousreply 510/25/2013

Fox viewers and NC Republicans have no idea what "out of context" means.

by Anonymousreply 610/25/2013

[quote]Fox viewers and NC Republicans have no idea what "out of context" means.

Exactly. What they call "out of context", the rest of us call "verbatim".

by Anonymousreply 710/25/2013

Honestly, is there any context in which these words would be acceptable?

by Anonymousreply 810/25/2013

Don Yelton says "The comments that were made, that I said, I stand behind them. I believe them."

The short interview clips were edited together from a much longer two-hour sit-down, says Yelton. But he says he was pleased overall with the parts that were included. In fact, he notes that some of the comments he made that weren't included might've even been more controversial. "To tell you the truth, there were a lot of things I said that they could've made sound worse than what they put up." He adds, "I would've loved to been able to do it live. … But that wasn't offered."

Don Yelton claimed the show “created an illusion that I was just personally had an agenda against the blacks, tried to make it talking about racism rather than the real issue of illegal voting.” He countered that narrative by claiming “I’ve hired blacks before” and that his “best friend is black.”

“I found the truth. The truth is, [the GOP's] got no guts.”

by Anonymousreply 910/25/2013

This is his idea of putting a racist statement in it's correct context:

[quote] I had a picture one time of Obama sitting on a stump as a witch doctor, I posted that one Facebook... I was making fun of the white half of Obama, not the black half.

See, he only makes fun of Obama's white half, so how can you call him a racist!

by Anonymousreply 1010/25/2013

I saw that interview. At one point, Asiv Mandvi said to him, "Do you know people can hear you? You do know that, right?" This was right after the fat white hicks said, "They can say n----r. If they can say n----r, why can't we say it?"

by Anonymousreply 1110/25/2013

I'm surprised he didn't poke at Mandvi and say "what is you?"

by Anonymousreply 1210/25/2013

LOL R10 & R12.

by Anonymousreply 1310/25/2013

To the GOP "context" means white people. "Out of context" means a conversation in the safe space of white people only was heard by black people.

by Anonymousreply 1610/25/2013

What was the problem with Blacks before welfare? 'Welfare in its present state have been in existance for 45 years?

by Anonymousreply 1710/25/2013

Had he said "blah people," he'd be safe.

by Anonymousreply 1810/25/2013

I can't fathom the idea that there are white people who are somehow oppressed by not being able to say the N-word.

First, there has never been a white person who wanted to say the N-word who was unable to do so. Second, there has never existed a human being whose life was ever denigrated by the inability to say the N-word.

by Anonymousreply 2010/25/2013

Sweetheart @R20?

You people easily believe a man not only turned water into an alcoholic beverage, but also walked on it, yet you can't even accept that your Lord and Savior could not have possibly looked like the image that you all pray to, so I wouldn't attempt to explain away Yelton's racism.

If Jesus came back, that old bigot would demand his ass be put in GITMO.

by Anonymousreply 2110/25/2013

I'm trying to imagine a context where "lazy blacks" would not be offensive.

by Anonymousreply 2210/25/2013

R20 why does he separate people into races? Why not say "lazy people"? Because he's a racist.

by Anonymousreply 2310/25/2013

it would not be offensive to lazy blacks.

I lived in NC for 6 years. Them southern states - NC/SC/GA/AL...they are racist as they come.

by Anonymousreply 2410/25/2013

"If it hurts lazy black people thats wants the government to give them everything, so be it"

That's not even grammatical!!

by Anonymousreply 2510/25/2013

yes

by Anonymousreply 2610/26/2013

I'm pretty sure most lazy people, of any race, don't vote in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 2710/26/2013

How does The Daily Show gets find these guys?

Does an intern have to spend all day on the phone talking to Republicans until he/she finds one foolish enough to go on camera?

by Anonymousreply 2810/26/2013

He should have said "lazy people" and he would still have a job.

by Anonymousreply 2910/26/2013

[quote]Does an intern have to spend all day on the phone talking to Republicans until he/she finds one foolish enough to go on camera?

I think it's the lure of the camera, and the fact that most of these people really aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer. Remember Colbert's Better Know a District, and how many House Members he hooked before word went around that he was a comedian? As I recall, the House Republican leadership actually had to send memos about that one.

by Anonymousreply 3010/26/2013

[quote]He should have said "lazy people" and he would still have a job.

But then he wouldn't be a Republican.

by Anonymousreply 3110/26/2013

I'm glad these vile fucks keep spewing their hateful bullshit. It lets people see them for who they really are and makes people not want to vote for them.

by Anonymousreply 3210/26/2013

[quote] I'm glad these vile fucks keep spewing their hateful bullshit.

But he says his words were taken out of context

by Anonymousreply 3310/26/2013

R34 But nobody but a moron would fall for that "out of context" bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 3410/26/2013

reply 21

I don't think these people mean literally they can't say the N-word.

I think they're complaining that they can't say it directly to a black person without fear of retaliation, whether through a lawsuit or getting their clock cleaned.

by Anonymousreply 3510/26/2013

Back in the late 80s my sister visited her in laws in northern FL. Their neighbor, a shotgun-toting, truck driving woman was saying to the I laws, "Never you mind, I'll bring my n----- over and fix that for you." Later on, she came back with an African American man who proceeded to fix something. The woman said, "He's a good n----, as far as they go."

My sister couldn't believe her eyes and ears. It was as if Jim Crow never ended.

by Anonymousreply 3610/26/2013

"My words were taken out of context": aka "How dare you broadcast the stupid shit that pours out of my mouth!"

by Anonymousreply 3710/26/2013

Let's not go overboard tagging this as a Southern United States phenomena.

It was PA GOP Chair that admitted PA voter ID law would suppress Democratic votes.

Ohio crafted a plan to suppress African-American voters in the 2012 election.

It's a Republican strategy.

As states like CA, NY and MA have taught us - they can show up anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 3810/26/2013

R39, I remember that sign from the early 1970s. There were two. One as you entered Johnston County, NC where Smithfield is located that said, "This is KKK Country." The other one, in downtown Smithfield read, "The United KKK Welcomes You to Smithfield."

In the summer of 1975, when I was in college, I worked in Smithfield at Johnston Memorial Hospital as one of the orderlies. Two of us were white, the rest were black. The black guys were prohibited (by the Director of Nursing) from entering the nurses station. They had to stand in the hallway to get their instructions from the female nurses (all of whom were white). The other white guy and I were permitted free access.

The black orderlies warned me that the Director of Nursing would probably reprimand me for talking to them so much. I told them that I would more than welcome that conversation and that it probably wouldn't end the way that she expected. Unfortunately, she never said anything to me, so I never had the chance to tell the old bitch that she was vile racist.

by Anonymousreply 3910/26/2013

touché R32

by Anonymousreply 4010/26/2013

How can he be racist? One of his best friends is black.

by Anonymousreply 4110/26/2013

Chances are the GOP is not upset he spoke what a lot of them think about minorities. His mistake was saying the voter suppression laws were created to target Democrats.

by Anonymousreply 4210/28/2013

I think the mistake many of you are making is in thinking that Yelton and his ilk regret that any of this happened. Far from it... he has instantly gone from nobody to a minor hero amongst his folk.

For certain he will be invited on all sorts of wingnut talk radio shows where he will be introduced as a "victim" of a "liberal prank", and get a chance to reset the record however he wants.

The fact that he was fired from a nominal post doesn't mean anything. The party had to make that move. It doesn't at all suggest that his views aren't perfectly in line with other local Republicans. His reputation and influence among the people he cares about will hardly weaken, in fact it is certain to strengthen.

I'm just saying that there is a large segment out there that applauds everything Yelton said with no apologies. This is not some "gotcha" that they wish hadn't happened.

by Anonymousreply 4310/28/2013
Need more help? Click Here.